All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I'm so glad you're home safely, Laurie!

Margaret, glad to hear your family is ok. I have a childhood friend that lives in that area. I've been checking in on FB for updates from her other family members. One of the best things about social media is keeping up-to-date with family and friends living far away.

Melody, good news about your surgery is wonderful, but take care of those peepers.

Sally, please let us know you are ok when you are able. I understand power is out for an enormous amount of folks.

I have so much to tell you all about, but I'm a day behind here so I will post what I can, when I can.

I think it's best to start at the beginning. I plan to type a narrative over a few posts, and then I will add pictures with captions later because without Photobucket, using the tiny keyboard on my phone is difficult. I figured I can then add captions to the photos. I will find a way to post the professional photos as soon as I can.

Our flight to Puerto Rico was very early in the morning. Everything went along perfectly. We arrived at the airport, paid $26.00 to get to the Hilton Caribe and were officially on vacation. The entire vacation, including our time in San Juan, was extremely hot and humid. On a few occasions, people said that whenever a hurricane is at work, the areas around it seem to get very hot, humid and lack a breeze. I think they were right.

I wore ivory skinny jeans, a relaxed fit brown, soft knit top. Because it was so much cooler at home, I had this ivory lace scarf on with it that is very thin and lightweight. I added a khaki colored cardigan with it. My thought was that I could shed the cardigan and scarf. I had to grab the back up shorts I brought with me though, because it was just too hot to keep the jeans on.

I had a feeling I was going to resent not packing the way I normally do. An extra top and shorts is a good thing. I had one outfit for each cruise day, with one extra thinking that after the rainforest hike in St. Kitts, I would have to shower and change. It turns out I needed to do that on every port day.

The Hilton Caribe is not cheap, but it was absolutely stunning. I loved staying there. For the first time ever, I didn't get ahead of myself. Usually, all I can think of is the hotel is for a place to sleep before my vacation really begins when I get on the ship!

We relaxed and took in the beautiful views, and then got ready for dinner at Morton's Steakhouse. Dinner was great, and because I indicated it was a delayed anniversary celebration, they gave us keepsake menus that said "Happy Anniversary, Laurie and Brian! Enjoy your special dinner!" Then they took a photo of us, and gave it to us in this holder, where they wished us a happy anniversary. That really made it very special. I wore the burgundy dress, which I think was a good choice. It is a very romantic place to have dinner, with huge windows overlooking the water.

Then we got the bill, and that was memorable too. :o

They provide a shuttle from the hotel to the port at 1:00. At first, the line seemed exceptionally long but we were through it and on board in no time.

We had a junior suite as a bit of a treat. Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan, during hurricane season, is so cheap that I didn't mind getting the junior suite at all. I love, love, love all the space. You get a tub instead of a tiny shower, a nice sized walk in closet, tons of extra storage in the room itself, and a more private balcony.

This is off topic, but one cruise a few years ago, my husband and I were on our balcony just watching the stars when my husband started making faces. After we went back inside, he said the guy in the room next to us was yelling and swearing on his cell phone, as his brother was just arrested for stabbing someone. Really. Anyway, it makes me appreciate having actual walls between the balconies rather than those thin partitions. I can imagine, that if I was able to hear more, I might find that the sense of privacy is more of an illusion. You know, out of sight, out of mind?

I decided on wearing the print maxi dress for the first night on board. It was comfortable, and I actually liked it more than I thought once I had it on. I would definitely bring it again on another cruise.

Our first day was at St. Thomas. I didn't have anything planned, so we decided to book an excursion to St. John. It seemed like everything we picked out was sold out or discontinued. We ended up on tour that started with about a 40 minute sightseeing ride over with a nice narrative. We were then on our own. We debated if we should go to a beach, in our haste, we forgot to throw our swimsuits in my tote bag. So we did some looking around, but I can honestly say I didn't thin there was much there to do if you don't go to the beach. It was a nice day, but not a ton to talk about over all. It was extremely hot, and that always takes some adjusting to. We are having a cool spell here at home, so we are talking a good thirty degrees difference right now.

This is second night of the cruise, so it was formal night. I wore the teal dress. As much as I love the dress, I wasn't overly thrilled with the photos. Jersey isn't very forgiving of flaws, and I knew that. With my build, their poses do no favors. It's interesting, because they are trying to pose you in a flattering way for the shoulders up, but then they take a full picture. I really liked the pearls with the dress. I think it created a bit of a classic look.

We had two other couples at our table, by the way. We enjoyed their company a lot. We enjoy sitting with different people and getting to know them.

The next day was our first sea day. I enjoy sea days. I think it's because we are on the go all the time in real life, and then trying to see whatever we can when we are on vacation. I enjoy slowing down, reading, playing board games and just not having a schedule. We can be as busy or as lazy as we want to be.

I opted to wear the gold swing dress. I really like this dress. It is casual and not fussy, yet you can dress it up or down as much as you want to. I would say that I'm learning more and more about why I like something, and that makes it easier to know what to look for when I shop.

We had regular photos done, but then they were doing what I think they call lifestyle photos. I like these a lot, and have them done when we are in casual day time attire. But we came across this after we were already ready for dinner. This dress still worked. I just took off my shoes, and was able to have some fun photos done.

More later...

I'm so excited to hear all about your trip, Laurie! Even if it takes a while to get the pictures sorted, reading about your adventure is wonderful. It's completely understandable that you have so much to catch up on and deal with that transition back into "normal"...so no pressure...but I did want to clearly state that I am very much looking forward to reading what you have to share and then seeing it later! Vicarious vacation is a still good vacation!

Very good news Sally. When we dealt with Ike, we only had to mend fences that had blown over...I can understand the relief that comes when you look upon your home and see that it has basically survived.

Jane, that tub thing is brilliant! I would definitely have that in my emergency kit when it gets back in stock. IDK if I have shared but DH and I are total wanna be preppers. LOL. Regardless of our dreams of a self-sustaining homestead somewhere, we have learned that the basic idea of being prepared is a worthy pursuit. I've learned that I have a bit to learn about urban, apartment preparedness. I had a good friend in Texas that was a Latter Day Saint...I learned they have a LOT of teaching on emergency preparedness. Every home is supposed to have a one year supply of food. My friend was in the process of replenishing hers, which she had used during recent familial hard times. She was up to a 6 month supply, I think. I don't think I would go that far in this little apartment...but I do need to put some time into thinking about more emergency food, I think...especially since DS has decided to give pescetarianism a go.

Good news, Sally. My sister doesn't have power yet, but then she is out in the boonies so it may take longer.

I always think of you when the j.jill catalog comes. Love this dress:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=HE079A&h=M&BID=931771921&sk=M&t=catalog&ac=search&q=HE079A

and this long sweater:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=J2012A&rPFID=0&sk=N&h=N

Laurie, loving your report! Sally, great news. Margaret, hope your sister gets power soon. Anita, I keep about 3 months stocked. It's amazing to me what people think is sustainable food! Our niece in Ft Myers doesn't have any damage & never lost power, she lives in a gated community (Sail Harbor) that shares power with the large medical complex. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did find out this morning that my cousin's house on Cudgoe Key survived, one of very few (new place, stilted & rated to Category 5). Lost some things, 2 boats, car, golf cart, one piece of trim. I didn't know they'd built down there, they're summering in NH.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Such great news that everyone and their families are ok.

Laurie, thanks for taking the time to let us go on vacation with you. Loving the report so far.

I have enough food and water to sustain us for an enormous amount of time but not all of it is what I consider sustainable food. A generator with 50 gallons of fuel stored, various grills with propane, and our campers should allow us to cook the perishable food in our freezers and refrigerators as long as necessary. I really need to increase my dried bean and canned supplies. I've become lax in that area. I'm not sure that I'm a prepper, but I was raised to be prepared. I'm comforted by the idea that we could be self-sufficient if the need arose.

So I've been having an interesting time of it, wearing my little wardrobe. Funny how I want to get rid of so many of those things now!! Ah well. Life is a continued series of live and learn, I suppose. I've been having a good time trying to figure out what Debbie has been talking about with all the Yin and Yang and the different types. And I have definitely signed on to the fact that I am a Natural...and I lean to the Yin side...I think that I'm somewhere on the spectrum between Neutral Natural and Yin.

As I've been analyzing the way that I feel in my limited wardrobe and the way that I feel about my appearance, I find that those things that generally adhere to the "recommended" are pretty darn good...and those things that fall under "avoid" are things that I really want to not wear again. LOL!! It's a bit like when I first understood and saw how I looked in Earth colors. I didn't really want to wear anything that I owned that wasn't Earth again.

With that said...I purchased a new vest for going into the fall season:

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-military-vest-a-new-day-153/-/A-52495103?lnk=rec|adaptpdph1|related_prods_vv|adaptpdph1|52495103|1

Does everyone think this is me too? The recent dress purchase was such a hit...I wonder about what all y'all think of the vest. The IRL color isn't quite as ashy as it looks on my screen...but it is definitely pushing a more washed out kind of olive color. What made me want to buy it...first the color. Duh. I like the casual vibe which is softly structured with the opportunity to add "loose" waist definition. It isn't boxy and the length hits a sweet spot.

I also recently purchased some skinny pants from Target. They are okay as a pant...I know that a straighter leg would be more flattering, but the skinny leg will let me wear them with my knee high boots...so...and the waist band is a high rise, which may not be the norm these days, IDK, but works better for me than a lower rise, anatomically. I can stand up and not have to yank up the waistband! I got a lovely olive with a bluish cast:

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-skinny-chino-pants-a-new-day-153-moss/-/A-52890762#lnk=sametab

There was a similar pair...slightly different in the rear pockets and the cargo pockets in a rusty burgundy kind of color too, which I also picked up, but can't find online.

And I picked up a great denim skirt. It's a bit darker than I would prefer...but the fit is really good. I need that taper at the bottom...and it has nice stretch

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-denim-pencil-skirt-a-new-day-153-indigo/-/A-52632268#lnk=sametab&preselect=52337889

These are just some basics to help me with the cooler weather. The green and the burgundy go perfectly with my Mizzoni converse...note to Debbie...because I think she has the same ones.

I went into Ulta today to verify my Bare Minerals tinted gel with the SPF. Melody, I think you said that you've used it too, the Complexion Rescue? I went in because I wasn't sure that I had the proper color any longer after having some sun exposure throughout the summer...but it turns out the the color was correct...it's just possible that I didn't shake the product enough from DAY ONE and that the mix of the tint is now super concentrated. So note to everyone...if you have the kind of product that can be shaken...even if it's in a tube...shake it. Every. Time.

Funny thing...my skin gives the impression of being a lot warmer than it actually is. We had to try 3 different colors because the lady saw the orange undertone in my skin and went way too warm in the first trials. I ended up being in a color that is pretty darn neutral actually, which is in keeping with this whole idea that I am a SOFT Autumn, which can walk that line between cool and warm...as we see how I wear those more ashy, pushing into summer colors, very successfully. I thought that was interesting...

Anyone tried Burts Bees Lip Shimmer? OMG, I'm in love with this! I've finally found a lip color that I feel like I can wear everyday!! (And not feel ridiculous...sometimes make up makes me feel ridiculously overdressed...which I think is my "Natural" at work.) My best nude color is Peony!!

The unpacking is going slowly...Believe it or not, I'm just now hitting the bathroom...partly because I didn't have a chance to really go through everything well before I packed it up. Just mostly. Now I'm really scouring through the things to clear out product that doesn't/won't get used or has expired or just needs to go away. I've gone through everything but my makeup...that'll be tomorrow. I've replenished my basics now so I can throw away all the old. No excuses.

Anita, I do use the Complexion Rescue in the winter. The rest of the time I use Estée Lauder day wear sheer tint. I have the same pants in the green & love them. They also have them in tobacco brown, but I haven't seen them yet. I also wear the Burts lip shimmer in Peony, great color! Love that vest!

Hope to be back to normal after tomorrow's post op apt. This having to really watch my time on stinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sally, I totally agree that I could never be prepared for the stress. I. Can't. Even. Imagine. I keep thinking about all the wonderful folks we met on St. Kitts, Tortola, and St. Marteen. They were so proud to show us their lovely islands. My little week plus of ice storm damage was so insignificant. I. Just. Can't. Imagine. and I hope they are physically ok. I just keep thinking that over and over again.

Even though we dodged a bullet and only had a category two instead of a five the stress wiped me out .One thing I learned is not only are gym clothes great for Transatlantics they make excellent evacuation clothes . Melody is right the inventor of yoga pants should get a nobel prize.My life is finally back to normal ..