All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, I tell the photographer that that's not a good pose for me. The picture of me in the sparkly white jacket? They had us both standing stiffly behind the red sofa. Uh uh, I sat Les turning toward the back & I leaned on the back of the sofa. It's one of our favorite pictures c87522ef4e538eb786130b41b8338ff9.jpg & I wouldn't have had it if I didn't insist on it. You're paying for it, get what you like. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First...I don't understand the linebacker shoulders. I agree that the pose looks a little stiff...we've seen you two looking way more relaxed in your photos in the past...and I think that may be what you are interpreting as linebacker? But you don't look overly big in the shoulders to me...

Second...I guess I don't understand how the app works...and how you can post pictures in the app...must work without having to upload them somewhere else first? So how do you control the pictures? Are they in a cloud or something? Are do you? Are they just out there forever now like when you upload them as an attachment?

That's one reason why I've never uploaded an attachment. I like to be able to go in and delete my photos every so often and remove the access to them.

The red dress is nice enough. Hard to really make a judgement with you trying it on. I wonder though, if it's really worth all the alterations you talk about wanting to do?

I think it's great that you got to go to an extra port on your cruise. Especially what seems to be such a relaxed easy port.

Laurie, you have great shoulders. Other ladies would love to have yours.

That one photo is not the best, with the cut of that dress. Your other photos are more flattering.

My problem is the ' bat wings' in my photos, whenever I wear sleeveless or short sleeved tops. Any hints, ladies, as to how to pose?

Love the ladies on this thread and your outfits. Anita, love your vest and long skirt outfit. Very relaxed.

Haven't done the Kibbe reading yet but I know I am not natural, maybe classic.

Melody, glad you are better!

Cruzisme...I've got some fleshy upper arms right now. Check out my pose in my sleeveless vest. I wasn't aware of what I was doing, but I've been looking up poses since you asked about hints on how to pose in sleeveless and it turns out that I stumbled upon a pose that hits recommendations for upper arms/shoulders.

The first is don't let your arms press against your body. This flattens out your arm and makes it look wider.

The second is that things that are closer to the camera look bigger, so pull your upper arms away from the camera.

And be aware of the angle of your arm that you are showing to the camera. A shot of my bicep is smaller looking that the side view of my arm...this works well with the whole pull the arms back and away from the camera idea...

If you can keep your arms lower too...pulling back rather than out to the side like the typical hands on hips...then your shoulders will also look narrower. This isn't totally applicable but I thought this video was really interesting for head shots...and it shows what I mean about slimming your shoulders too...which are also a bit rounded on soft on me right now as well.

The other thing that I have noticed is that if your shoulders are a bit...soft?...like not angular and pointy?...mine are soft...the shape of the shoulders on the sleeveless can make a big difference. A straight edge is much more attractive than an angled edge (like a halter, angling toward the neck). And if you happen to be a bit chesty?...have the edge of the "sleeve" be as wide as your arm pit...don't let it scoop in a bit and then go straight up...that will help a lot with the appearance of the soft shoulders above the fleshy upper arms.

Just speaking from experience...

First, I want to say that I love my shoulders. Since I lost weight and started working out, this is the change to my body I love the most.

I definitely have an inverted triangle shape. The photographers pose you in a way that to me, emphasised things in the wrong way.

The last photo, the one I cropped I love. I don't feel distorted by a bad pose.

The hand on your hip.thing is great, but im.s bit short waisted. Then wide in the shoulders, so it isn't natural looking.

And I love that formal night dress. I can't wait to wear it again!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I too have had trouble with "wing flaps". I have been using weights but it wasn't doing what I wanted. Then I realized that I was working the wrong muscles.

I have some cheap 5 pound weights from Target I use st home too.

You are totally right about the posing, Anita. Keeping the arm from.pressing against the body makes a big difference!

I'm debating about that rust dress. The work needed is pretty simple, and I think where the hemlinw lands is better without the ruffle as well.

The other 3 dresses arrived today, so I can figure it all out. One is definitely going back. Sometimes, I'll try something a bit out of the box to see if it works. It didn't, lol.

The other 2 I like. I'm concerned I'm opting for this shape...

What I want in a casual dress has been hard to.find. a loose fit works, but if it is too loose, I feel shapeless.

One you might like, Anita. It has a choker neckline to it. It's red, and not earth. The other seems to be earth, possibly but I tried them on quick without turning on the light because we were going to the gym. I'll try to get photos tomorrow.

Laurie...my Zumba/Pilates teacher Kelly taught me the BEST triceps exercise. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try. She called it a Reverse Plank. You lay on the floor, on your stomach, feet flat on the floor (don't curl your toes under). Hands will be palms down next to your chest, elbows bent and close into the body...don't let your elbows swing out. Your forehead is to the ground, neck in a neutral position.

Now before you do anything else...pretend that there is a frozen grape in your belly button and you really want to avoid the frozen grape. So tighten your tummy away from the floor but don't let your tail tuck under or your spine to really change shape.

Now, push your hands into the floor to raise your upper body off the floor...think one inch off the floor. No more. Hips stay on the ground. Head is relaxed and still in a neutral position...and you are staring at the floor. Don't let your shoulders get involved. The ONLY muscle that is working to lift your body is your tricep. You may not even get your chest off the floor.

It can help to have a partner tap on that tricep to make sure it is engaged.

Hold that position for several breaths and then lower back down to the floor.

Repeat a few times.

This is the best Tricep exercise that I've ever done. I usually don't have any problems with form or with other muscles trying to take over or with any stress on any joints.

I know what you mean about the whole hand on hip thing not feeling very natural. I love my pockets and so I went with hands in pockets for my last picture and that felt way more natural. IDK if you are on Pinterest, but it's pretty easy to do a search there and see a bunch of info about posing for photos and ideas for what helps to make a flattering photo.

Melody...is that a piano bar shirt?

Anita, it's a Red Sox shirt. Red Sox theme song is Sweet Caroline. If you've seen the Hyundai commercial lately where the guy is driving singing Sweet Caroline & the woman beside him in traffic says Bah Bah Bah. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Not my best color of shirt but I had to have it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anita, lots of good advice here. I now realize that I was showing side views versus biceps views of my upper arms to the photographer. That resulted in my wide upper arms. And moving them away from the camera makes sense.

Will be more aware of this in the future. I think I have strong shoulders, not soft but a good shape.

Thanks for the help.

I have seen that commercial but I just associated it with piano bars because that's what people sing in the piano bars! Tell the truth...that commercial kinda makes me nuts...we cut the cable with the move and stream everything. That commercial plays A LOT on the ESPN stream...sometimes 2-3 times in a row...and now it makes sense why! I get it...and maybe I can get less annoyed thinking of you and Laurie

Anita, tell me about how live streaming is working for you. I'm a big sports fan, and wondering how I would fare? Especially with college sports?

My husband watches the Velocity Channel almost each night. I like HGTV and turns it Network.sometimes. I don't really watch shows but I love the Red Sox, Syracuse University sports, any Olympics, NFL...

Speaking of the Red Sox, show us that shirt, Melody!!! I still want the Players Weekend jersey, but I have only found it for $199.00. That's not happening. I did find a navy with red trim.jersey, no player names, for $59.00. I'm going times it until.m Fanatics has a sale st some point.

So I am looking at the dresses. The brownish burgundy is actually a very dark, cool color. But I like the style a lot. I can exchange it for the olive, which appears more of a soft earth color. That color doesn't always work well for me though.

The red is...red! But it is a really nice dress on, I love the choker neckline on it. It might be a keeper.

I might just keep that earthy orange one. The fix is easy, an it.will be the type of dress I've been looking for. Also, I do hope to lose more weight and this would be easy to take in.

I'm going to check the prices on each again. And I'llt a picture. I just got really busy tonight.

I still haven't finished my trip report. There is only one day left of the cruise to talk about, but a bit of an adventure whrn it came to getting home.

Laurie, tons of shirts & hats & hoodies on the Chowdaheadz website. Very reasonable. This shirt was $20. My Fenway hoodie (that has a bottle opener in the pocket!) was $29 & is soooooo soft

Like the dresses! I'd take the ruffle off too. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Laurie...a few things to figure out before knowing how well you will do without cable. First, you have to know your internet limitations...not only your speed but also if you have a limit on data each month. Here in NC, we have unlimited, but in GA we had a 300GB limit before they would start charging us additional $ each month...in 15 GB increments. They did allow us to go over 3 times yearly without penalty...and believe it or not, we actually did, WITHOUT cutting cable...because we had so much internet usage from gaming and streaming going on.

If your internet isn't conducive to streaming what you want...then it's a moot point.

If your internet is good...then know if you have the hardware to be able to watch the internet stream on your tv. You either have a Smart TV, or use a BluRay player, a gaming console, or have a RUKU or similar device. OR you can use a laptop that has an HTML output.

If you're good to go there too, then you just have to figure out where the things you want to watch are. So, go to HGTV's website...see if they will let you watch their shows on demand for free, or if they want you to sign in with your cable provider to be able to stream. Same with any other network you watch.

ESPN wants you to sign in with a provider. Same with NBC Sports...I think...and/or CBS sports. They'll let you watch live streams, but they have an agreement with the different cable providers to provide you that service. We were always frustrated because the Tennis Channel would have other courts available to watch, etc., if you signed in with your cable provider...and Comcast didn't have an agreement with the Tennis Channel.

Anyway...not every network is like that though...but many are these days. So you look and see.

So that means you have to have cable, or you have to have an agreement with someone who has cable, who will let you use their log in information, to log in and be able to stream from apps and websites, if the shows you want to watch require that. It's also worth researching if your internet provider gives you any access to tv shows through their website without also subscribing to cable.

I will tell you, that if you really care, ESPN is HORRIBLE for streaming. The app is terrible. The reviews are all true, if you read them. The app crashes all the time...and it will buffer in the streaming a lot...or it will freeze, many times at crucial times in the sports that you are watching.

So the next level is to still pay for tv...but it's internet tv, not cable. The ones to look into for that are Sling TV and Direct TV Now...if you want to be able to stream ESPN. I think Hulu is also offering live streaming in some markets? But ESPN isn't in their line up. And/or look into the cost of being able to get really specific...like an NFL Sunday Ticket...or similar things, which are generally offered these days for most sports. There can be limitations on some...like the GameDay Pass for NFL is only to watch the games after the fact...not live. But that's a lot cheaper than the Ticket...and you just have to figure out how much you care.

Really read the fine print on things...some of the streaming internet TV services only allow for one device at a time. Some don't give you credentials to use to sign in to apps or websites for streaming (Sling TV). So the point is that you really just need to know what you want to watch and what your options are for where and how.

We are more binge watching Netflix kind of people. Or Amazon Prime. And we have access to a cable log in for being able to stream the few live sports we watch. So only paying for internet instead of a bundle is really working for us. Also...we haven't had a landline in over 10 years, I think.

I'm reluctant to say anything about the dresses without seeing them on you. The lace overlay one seems very you to me...and so is the one on the right these days...it seems a bit like the yellow and the brown ones. The one in the middle has a lot of detail on it that I don't really associate with you...including the ruffle and even the appliqué...IDK though, without seeing them on you.

I bought two scarves today to wear with my blue cardigan. One scarf is very masculine to me...in that it is so small...more like the kind that you tie around your neck and it's more neck tie like? One is more typical...sheer...lightweight. I've got a thought in my head about combining a couple of my concert tee shirts into an outfit with the cardigan...next week the temperatures are still very summer-like, but starting next weekend...I'm thinking fall hits with cooler temps and rain.