All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, you handled a terrible scary situation with a perfectly natural reaction--don't beat yourself up about it

When we were moving to Okinawa the kids & I (2, 4 & 8) had to travel by ourselves after Les was there. Well, we flew into a typhoon & were diverted to the Philippines which was under martial law. The kids thought it was a grand adventure--I was not as thrilled. We were put off base with an armed guard for 3 days. I didn't have any contact with Les. When we finally got back to the base we flew to Okinawa on a military C-130 with a platoon of Marines--8 hrs. Les had no idea where we were, all they could tell him was that our flight had been terminated (not that we were ok). That was a stressful time. The kids remember it as a big adventure

By the way, I don't like many ruffles, but I do like that paisley bathing suit. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Laurie, I would have been upset especially since you were looking at five days in that crummy hotel .Travel is an adventure and sometimes not a good one . We were in the Bahamas years ago staying at a beach resort and we were mugged on our way to dinner . My husband was beat up and I escaped and got help . The hotel immediately upgraded us to their sister hotel which is now the Atlantis and comped everything .They even offered a free return visit which due to the stress we never took .Anyway luckily your adventure ended after one day and now you now you can handle the next one .

Oh, Laurie! I'm so glad you were able to get out of that roach motel. I understand your feelings about PR and their misfortunes and would have felt the same, but stress rears its ugly head at the most inopportune times and your release of tears was probably good for you. I had a complete come-apart once coming in to NOLA because all I could see was water and the back of a semi (we were much too close) while my DH was on the phone and driving. I couldn't explain it. It just happened. No matter that I thought I should or should not have reacted--I did. The effect of being out of our comfort zones makes us react differently. In an unfamiliar place, it would matter to me even more so. JMO

WOW, Ladies! We've spent the night in a sketchy part of town while on a bus trip where we were told to go into our rooms, lock the door and not come out until daylight. All rooms opened to the outside like in the 60s. Daughter and family have spent the night in a seedy motel when sleep deprivation caused them to sleep fully clothed and her DH didn't sleep. BUT we've always been in the US. I can't imagine being mugged or out of the country (with or without littles). I lead a very sheltered life and am extremely grateful to be an American.

Laurie...as everyone has said. You had a perfectly natural reaction to the circumstances. All things considered, I think you did very well to figure out how you could deal with the situation...and as Debbie said, the release was probably a very therapeutic.

Sally, I've taken two late September cruises when our schools had a fall break week, usually during the last full week in September. We were fortunate to not deal with any weather...you roll the dice when you book in hurricane season. I would be curious too though...Laurie, would you repeat?

I had a surprise in the mail yesterday...very surprising to me that the Soft Surroundings catalog followed me to my new address. I guess they treated it like a magazine? It wasn't forwarded...they had my new address on the label. Kind of weird to me...BUT...here's a very weird thing...I bought a couple items last spring that were in the clearance section of the store...and now...they are back in this year's fall catalog! That is SO WEIRD to me.

So here's the skirt that I bought last spring:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/by-design-skirt/

I think that even with all the new fashion style...this skirt works great for me. The colors are pretty deep and darker than you might expect for a Soft Autumn, but they are a soft as deep colors can get...and it's a very low contrast pattern, which works well for me...it's slim through the hips and that also works well.

AND...OMG!!!! The skirt that I have been watching for literally YEARS has finally gone on sale!!! And you better believe that I bought it today...I only saw it because I went online after seeing my clearance skirt in the new catalog...it reminded me to look...and I'm so glad that I did. Everyone remember this one?

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/desert-stars-skirt/

And now I just have to share...OMG...earlier today, when I ordered the skirt, the shirt I was eyeing was not on sale, and now it is:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/complementary-ruched-top/

I think this in off white could be a work horse in my wardrobe. I wonder if I can edit my order to save on shipping? Hmmm

Ok...so I realized that it was only certain colors on sale...and I saw this top which I think will work better for me:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/34-sleeve-shapely-surplice-top/

I'm not sure if it will work, but somehow I found the ivory version for only $29.99? I got that and just because, I also am going to try the marshmallow, which is similar to a fabric I've seen in Eddie Bauer before...I think that the texture will be awesome...and the style is just too perfect.

Anita, how lucky! Gorgeous skirt, I may need to look on line at Soft Surroundings. There’s a shirt that I’ve been looking at there, hmm.

Sally & Debbie. Those are scary times. Glad all turned out well. Melody

Anita, I am really liking those tops. I love that they have simple lines, but they Lso have interest because they are not just a boxy shirt, if you know what I mean.

That skirt is so pretty! Once agzin, it is something I an admire on someone else, but I don't think it would work for me. I dtkl, need to go through the Kibbe quiz,but just being a personality type 4 tells me to admire it from afar.

I too must check them out online.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I have a promo code for Soft Surroundings Outlet. It’s only valid for online outlet stores & is good for $10 off $50 (before taxes & shipping) until 31 Jan 18. The code is OUTLETONLY. Enjoy ladies. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anita, the surplice top--take a look at the side-bar picture of the blonde in black and also the white example. That's exactly what happens to me when I try to wear that cross-over look, except my boob-a-licious body shows even more cleavage. Lots more. I can't keep it in place where it's supposed to be like the gold and other colors show. I've tried pinning it and the pin always shows. I'd love to know how everyone else is able to wear this type top.

The critical point on this style of top is where the two front panels join the side seam under the arm pit. If you notice, the ones that are sporting the major cleavage are letting the top edge of that top layer lay under the bust and not cutting across it like the ones that don't have cleavage showing. So when you pin a shirt like this, you have to deal with that side seam so that the top layer doesn't dip down underneath but instead crosses over the lower portion of your bust...alternatively you can pinch the shoulder seam near the neck...you experiment with making a new seam that leaves the point of intersection at the top of the shoulder unaltered, but then takes up more fabric from the front panel as you get closer to the neck.

Usually, adjustments in one way or the other helps.

The other thing to do is to really pay attention to the under layer. Same adjustments. Just because you can't see the way that it crosses over your bust or under the bust doesn't mean that the effect isn't there. I have successfully pinned the under layer to my bra which did enough to raise the whole X point to reduce the cleavage. Sometimes that helps because the fabric of the top layer doesn't move across the fabric of the lower layer as easily as it slips down over the slicker fabric of the bra or skin.

The worst thing you can do is try to pin it at the actual intersection...You have to go deeper into the construction and adjust the edges of those front panels.

I don't know how the clothing manufacturers are compared to sewing pattern manufacturers, but sewing patterns (the last I knew) are based on a B-sized cup. That is, a 2" difference between the high bust and the full bust. So if your cup size is larger than a B cup, you will experience issues with fit, some more drastic than others, depending on the style. You can measure your bust at the fullest point...and buy a shirt based on that, but here's the deal...

I will *gasp* use my own measurements for example right now. So, your high bust is the chest under the arm pits and across the top of your chest. The full bust is the widest part of your chest. My high bust is 38-39...full bust is 44-45", the difference being around 5-6 inches. That's 3-4 inches bigger than the possible bust form for the pattern. So if I buy a shirt based on the fullest measurement (often the instructions on the sizing guides), I'll be buying a shirt that is likely to fit way too big. The biggest point of issue will be where that seam under the arm pit hits...it will likely be way too low...and possibly the shoulder seam will also hit too far down on the shoulder.

Technically, my measurement doesn't even fit any of the soft surroundings size...as the XL in the shirt says 43". BUT...technically speaking, based on a high measurement of 38-39, if I had a B cup...a 2" difference between high bust and full bust, my full bust measurement would be 40-41" which is right there in the L sizing. That means that the L size would probably fit well under the arm pit and across the back, but be tight on the front chest. So what do we do, we order the XL...

Which means that the arm pit will probably be lower than ideal...and so those front panels will probably attach to the side seam too far down the sides of the body to avoid the major cleavage shot. SOOOO...the ideal thing to do would be to basically resew the side seam from somewhere in the middle of the upper arm, taking the arm pit up higher and potentially moving the front panels up more toward the arm pit as well.

IF I were in the smaller sizes...potentially it would also be of benefit to reduce the size of the back panel of fabric as well, so that essentially, the back panel ends up being smaller than the front panel, which can be the way that women are built depending on current weight. If you ever fold your clothes, you notice that generally the shirt lays flat and the side seams are down the folds on the sides and the front panel is equal to the back panel. But doing my best to measure myself...I get 18" from side seam to side seam across the back and about 25" across the front. I realize that only adds up to 43", so somewhere in there my quick measurements of myself are inaccurate, but I think I'm making my point. In no universe should a fitted woman's shirt have equal measurements across the back and across the front.

If you buy a shirt like this based on your full bust measurement, then the overall fit of the shirt can do no other but gap and fall without doing some sort of alteration or strategic pinning.

Sally, if you have a Soft Surroundings store I’d go try some things on. I find the sizing to be pretty close to JJill tho. Debbie, I use double stick hem tape on shirts. Anita, you really have the sizing down pat for sewing. I remove tags from scarves, tags drive me nuts! Melody

Do I keep labels on or take them off of scarves? It depends on how "nice" the scarf is, how obtrusive the label is, and whether I can easily fold the scarf and hide the label. My most recent scarf purchase is a very light aqua/ivory scarf with a black label-WHAT the heck were they thinking? I've kept it on so far, but I've only worn it once. I'm giving much thought to removing it, but it is a wool/silk blend that I wouldn't want to casually wash. I'm afraid I'd forget if I removed the label. Soooo, my answer is--sometimes.

I have never washed a scarf:o but just in case I do, I worry about the same thing...

I don't have any designer scarves so not concerned with that...I'm thinking it might be a good idea to just take a photo of the label on the scarf, with enough scarf in the photo to note which scarf it is...and if I ever do decide to wash a scarf, I can consult my photos...

Because the labels on my scarves are giving me fits...

You mean, you're supposed to look at the label before you wash stuff??? :'):')

Seriously though, I get really nervous about washing scarves. I'm willing to throw just about anything in the washer. Some things are on a gentle cycle, some are not. But a scarf...the few times I have, I hand washed and was very nervous. Now that I think of it, I didn't look at the label.

Labels drive me nuts. They are so hard to remove because scarves tend to have those tiny rolled hems. I feel badly for someone that doesn't sew because they don't have a seam ripper. Of wait, I'm supposed to call that a button holer, or something like that. I try to cut the label as close to where it is attached as possible, then use the seam ripper to gently remove the part that is above where it is sewn. I'm not sure if I am describing that well.

One of the good things about sailing during hurricane season is getting a bargain. We were on AOS in a junior suite for less than what I paid for a balcony on a smaller ship. It's kind of like going shopping, having a coupon for a percentage off, then getting to the checking out and realizing the price was marked down too. You can go back and grab something else because you were able to stretch your budget farther.

Hurricane season starts in August, I believe, and run through what...November? My first two cruises were only a week or two earlier than the one I just went on. I am pretty sure I've gone on at least 2 others during hurricane season as well.

I do think giving thought to your ports, where you are sailing from, etc. isn't a bad idea though. With Irma and Maria, they really covered a lot of islands and Florida. It was hanging around in the back of my mind during the cruise, but I wasn't really scared. I think I was more worried about the islands than me because I felt confident in our captain. The poor people living in the path didn't have many options.

Surplice tops are something I love. I don't mind showing the cleavage a bit, as long as it isn't too much, you know? You are right about positioning. And the pinning tip is a good one, Anita. I aim for pinning the lining, if there is one. I love the idea of avoiding where the layers cross.

I’ll wash just about anything. All of my scarves have been washed, I do do them by hand with Dreft baby detergent (I use Dreft for my lingerie as well, really makes those pricey bras last longer). Laurie, my seam ripper is my best friend!

Hurricane season is officially 1 June to 1 December, but there have been hurricanes in every month of the year. September has the most deadly hurricanes.

Finally got the “official” notification of our 50th reunion. 1 Sep (yes, the hotel still shows sold old [emoji849]). At least I can plan my other vacations now! Melody

I do not remove my labels unless it looks really easy . I am afraid of damaging them . Most of my scarves are from (where else ) JJill and they match my clothes . I do hand wash them when needed .

Melody is correct September is the absolute worst month for storms .We booked Cuba for Februrary . Hope this time it is a go .

I've gone back and read and re-read your post about how to remedy my cross-over top cleavage, Anita. I only thought I could sew! I can take a pattern and make things and can do minor repairs and alterations, but you've got the alterations game down pat. Thanks for the in-depth instructions. You are amazing at giving me a visual using only words. I hadn't thought of pinning the under layer farther over. I always laughingly said that my B cup was Before marriage. By the time I married at 22, I was a C cup. After I lost my first baby weight, I was a D cup and after the second, I went to a DD. Of course, we won't talk about the amount of weight that I could stand to lose. I'm sure that would make a difference over all. I usually try taking up the shoulder seam to avoid sleeveless tops showing my bra under my arms. I hate that tight bust feeling and don't like the way it looks on me. It usually highlights my upper tummy. So, yes, I size up. If the top is too loose, I can always take in the side seam a little to give a better shape.

I don't mind showing a little cleavage but others around me have become much more modest in the past few years and what starts out as the top layer in a diagonal across my lower boob becomes a wrinkled curve under my boob and lays along my bra band. Both sides gape farther and farther apart until I'm shocked when I look down! LOL Soooo not a good look. When they say "it's flattering on Everyone and easy to wear" I thought I must be the exception to the rule. I don't mind pushing boundaries but I don't like being fussy about my clothes-- tugging and pulling at them to keep them where they're supposed to be--and I don't like sitting rimrod straight with my gut sucked in so my belly roll doesn't show. I knew if anybody knew how to handle the situation, it would be you gals. Thanks!!!

Melody, I use Dreft also. I've kept it in the house since doing cloth diapers in the 80s. I've always figured if it would clean them and is gentle enough for babies, it should surely clean delicates I handwash.

Laurie, I'm glad you were confident in your captain and agree that the people living there didn't have many options. All reports sound like they still don't. It's sad.

Hope your are able to make it to Cuba in February, Sally. We're doing the ABCs in February.

I was looking at Cuba. When in February are you going Sally? What cruise line ? Les’s brother turns 80 in Feb & we’re thinking of going to Ft Myers for that. The timing might work. Of course, I just saw that visas are going to be halted for Cuba. Melody