All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I love seeing pictures of Grace's cousin!! LOL.

That's a very exciting trip Margaret...super fun. Did you book your airfare today?

We're getting ready to head out to see the launch tonight. Weather is looking pretty good for it...hopefully it will be sooner rather than later...4 hour window begins at 11:30 PM! DS has a friend visiting...we're all about to pile in and head out to pick up some carry out special pizza and hope to find a decent spot for launch viewing!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I love seeing pictures of Grace's cousin!! LOL.

That's a very exciting trip Margaret...super fun. Did you book your airfare today?

We're getting ready to head out to see the launch tonight. Weather is looking pretty good for it...hopefully it will be sooner rather than later...4 hour window begins at 11:30 PM! DS has a friend visiting...we're all about to pile in and head out to pick up some carry out special pizza and hope to find a decent spot for launch viewing!

We always found the best spots to view the launches were by the causeways, especially by Titusville State Park area. Melody

Went to the launch in the wee hours of the morning...

First, let me say that it was totally worth going. I'm very glad that DS's friend was up on the twitter feed...something I wouldn't have even thought of doing...something I'm realizing is probably a valuable tool when actually used as a tool. Anyway...we hit the local Raceway for some cold drinks...heading up to the pizza to pick up our take out and we learn that the launch is shooting for 2:30 am...but it was still only 10:15 pm...so we turned around to head home to wait it out...leaving at about 1 am to find our viewing location.

Melody...I did a bit of researching to see what the best locations would be. Definitely read about what you said...our plan of attack was to head toward Titusville driving up US 1 and just see what would work for us. I had read about a little park named William J Manzo Memorial Park...looked like there would be a lot of parking around it...and it is directly across the Indian River from the launch pad. So we headed in that direction...

As we approached the area of US 1 that started to go along the Indian River front...so many cars. Cars parked everywhere...and we did happen to the little park and there was good parking in a lot across the street (handy for leaving)...and so we parked and walked over. The little pier / fishing dock had been wiped out by Irma...but there was a smaller one that didn't extend into the water. DH and I settled up there...only about 10-14 feet wide...there were some front row people there, but not enough to crowd that railing. DS and his friend walked below on the concrete retention grid thing to sit with a more unobstructed view right at the water's edge. Everyone was happy.

I have never attended any launch before...this was the first SpaceX night time launch. A night launch is spectacular. 

Our first view of the rocket...

RIMG2745.jpg

You can see that it is pretty far away...but that expanse between the camera and the rocket is all water. Not much to see as we waited...everyone hoping that the launch would actually take place.

On schedule...suddenly...it was like the sun was rising...

Frame-25-06-2019-10-47-31.jpg

Far beyond the capability of the point and shoot camera video could capture...the sky lit up and the water lit up...SUDDENLY...suddenly the night was like emerging daylight on the horizon.

These are all frame captures from the video I shot...but you can see the ascent of the rocket and the smoke on the launch pad...

Frame-25-06-2019-10-47-47.jpg%20

Frame-25-06-2019-10-48-15.jpg

I didn't read up on the launch specifics...IDK that I will use the proper words or descriptions for what actually happened...but what I SAW...the rocket goes up and up and up...and then a sudden burst in the sky as the boosters kick in and the single point of light became three points with two descending and one continuing to rise. The striations in the sky from what must be jet fuel? create a sort of kaleidoscope effect in the sky as the three points of light spread further from each other.

The two descending lights blink out well before the rocket does. The rocket continues to diminish in size until the sky is dark again.

Now keep in mind...the only sound you hear at this point are the ooo's and ahh's of the crowd...some cheering...some clapping...voices of excitement that carry so much further and easier in the dark.

Time passes...and then finally...the two booster things reappear in the night sky as twin beams of light...brighter with small tracer tails...and then they blink out again. At some point...the sound of the launch finally reaches you and you hear the rumble and the thunderous noise of the launch...and the twin boosters reappear and come closer together and land in almost perfect synchronicity on the landing site just down south of the launch pad. Darkness again.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

BOOM. BOOM BOOM. BOOM!!!

Sonic booms!!! Like the biggest, most incredible firework or cracker that you have ever heard...sounding out in the renewed darkness.

AMAZING.

I give a thumbs up to our location. Especially for a first time viewing. The effect of the reflection on the water directly in front of you was spectacular. And the likeness to the rising sun is mind blowing. DS's friend said he had goose bumps watching it. This site was also a good one in terms of the getaway afterward. DH did have to go to work today...after about 3 hours of sleep! 

So, if you have the opportunity...I do most definitely recommend catching a night time launch. We will definitely go again...and will definitely be looking for a closer view to the action, if schedule and finances allow. Some of the more prime viewing locations come at a price...this free view was definitely good for us for this time around though.

• Like 2

Anita, that is likely the new name of the park I mentioned. I used to work at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (1983-1986). We used to be able to drive to the dunes on the AFS & watch the launches. That all stopped with Challenger. Melody

Melody...I'm pretty sure we're talking about two different places. We were at a tiny city or county park. This is where we were:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/William+J+Manzo+Memorial+Park/@28.578543,-80.798857,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2b8aae31322c4573!8m2!3d28.578543!4d-80.798857

Could you point out on a map where you would go? There's another launch on July 9 and I would like to get closer...maybe over to the barrier island side.

Anita, thank you for sharing your launch experience! It is something that Mark wants to do in the worst way, and now that my schedule is more flexible it's more likely to happen for us some day.

We made the deposit on the 2020 eclipse trip that includes a fjord cruise on the Ventus Australis. We are so excited to have another adventure trip on the horizon. I'm always up for anything that involves jumping in and out of Zodiacs! We'll be visiting Huilo Huilo Bio Reserve the day before the eclipse:

https://huilohuilo.com/en/

Then some other stops, along with Bariloche:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/things-to-do-bariloche-argentina/index.html

Torres del Paine NP:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/south-america/chile/torres-del-paine-national-park-photos/

The fjord cruise includes Glacier Alley, Cape Horn, and Wulaya Bay.

We are seriously considering the pre-extension to Easter Island and the post-extension to Iguazu Falls. We have always regretted not going to Iguazu Falls when we were in B.A. in 2002. All of this means we would be away for most of December. We can't make the flight reservations until January, which is when they'll open for booking. We will fly into Santiago, Chile and out from Buenos Aires, Argentina on our own, and the tour covers the other flights.

• Like 1

OMG...should have known that this trip included an eclipse!! So funny. I'll have to check out the links...

With regards to a launch viewing...I'm all over these launches now. There's an experience offered at KSC that is called Feel the Heat. The cost is high...over $100? Closer to $200? I don't remember...but there are other levels of pricing for viewing on the KSC site. More $$$ the closer you get to the launch site. I'm thinking that personally, I'd like to work my way up to the Feel the Heat...getting closer and closer to the action, but then, I do have the privilege of that option.

Keep track of the schedule...you can see in September how we are set up and if our accommodations would work for you and DH. He's so tall...not sure our guest bed would work! We could, and should, totally plan to go together though. Would be so fun!

16 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Melody...I'm pretty sure we're talking about two different places. We were at a tiny city or county park. This is where we were:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/William+J+Manzo+Memorial+Park/@28.578543,-80.798857,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2b8aae31322c4573!8m2!3d28.578543!4d-80.798857

Could you point out on a map where you would go? There's another launch on July 9 and I would like to get closer...maybe over to the barrier island side.

If Pine Island is still an open area it looks almost directly at the launch. The Indian River area has some great spots on both sides. Where you were looks like the old state park tho. If the barrier islands aren’t all private now that would be a great choice. 

Edited by awhfy

Your launch pictures were great, Anita 🙂 I saw someone in a YouTube video yesterday that reminded me of you.  "Diane in Denmark" does Flylady (home organization, etc) videos and at the end of her recent video about what to do for a busy week/being stressed she has a picture with a friend that looks like she could possibly be your aunt.

Margaret, your kitty is adorable to me too! The trip you are planning sounds wonderful and certainly something to look forward to. 

Anita, thanks for sharing the launch details and pictures. I doubt I will ever see one in person living where I do. It sounds like you and your family are enjoying your new home state and all it has to offer.

Sharon

46 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

I like the color blocking on the anorak but I really dislike the elastic cuffs...no go for me because of that.

I've never heard of a silver lab! So pretty!

Pretty jewelry.

Black, chocolate labs will occasionally make a silver. I love her winter blue eyes

Hello!  I feel I have so much to catch up on here, and so much to tell you all about.  It's been a busy few weeks, in good ways and bad ways.

Starting with the anorak, it appeals to me...a lot.  I'm not 100% certain of how much I have a need for the particular item, but I love the color blocking on it and the choice of colors.  I think if the deal it right, I will probably purchase it at some point.  Anita, does elastic at the cuff bother you?  I used to have issues with that, but haven't in years so I think I would be okay. 

The more interesting aspect is getting it back into the pouch nicely.  As much as they always say how easy that stuff is, I seem to be challenged by it.

Margaret, I love your kitty. I miss mine.  I was mentioning to my husband that I have had a cat for all of my adult life up until last year when Honey got sick.  With the dogs though, I don't think it would be a great idea to introduce a cat.

Your trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  You go to very exotic places!  Or maybe I should say you go to unique areas.  Since I have never traveled at all until around 2008, it seems I haven't seen the basics yet so I slowly add things in.  I won't get to everything, so I'm starting to think about making an actual list, and prioritizing.

Anita, my husband and I have always wanted to see a launch.  KSC is one of the reasons we love to sail from Florida, and why we don't mind the long drive from the Orlando airport.  That is something I think we would be able to plan out reasonably.  My only concern was if there was a weather delay.  Do they just delay it by a day?  Two days?   So it's something to think about.

As you all know, the wedding was wonderful.  I look forward to seeing more pictures.  It's my understanding that the photographer works for the one month anniversary mark, so it will be around July 14th.  

One thing we had to adjust a little for was our Boston trip.  I realized that even though we were taking a day here, two days here, two days there, it made up one week of vacation so I figured it would end up being better for work, which it was.

I stayed late on Thursday to get everything cleaned up so that I was ready to go on Friday morning.  We left around 10:00, with a few stops planned.  It worked out really well for us because it's a 5 hour drive and we were staying in a different hotel.  As a matter of fact, we were at the same hotel Anita stayed in.  The close proximity to everything is just wonderful.  

We checked in, got settled, and wandered around a little bit.  The Fenway area is like a city within a city, which is really fun.  We then stopped for a later dinner, and watched the game on the rooftop terrace.  It was a little cool, but not bad.  

The next day, the game was at 4:00 so we decided to check out the observatory in the morning.  The viewing is wonderful, but $21.00 per person to walk around one floor and take pictures out the window seemed a bit steep to me.  It was very enjoyable overall though.  

From there, we went to the hotel, freshened up, and headed to the game.  Just as we were taking our seats, it started to rain.  We went to get a snack to wait it out, and everything was good after that, except they lost.  Darn.

It's funny, because a few times I told my husband that the walking or long car ride had made me kind of uncomfortable.  I knew we were going to do a lot of walking Sunday, so I fell asleep early.  When I woke up, I just didn't feel quite right.

My husband asked me if something was wrong, and I told him I was fine.  Sometimes, I just have to move around a bit.  So we got ready for our day, and headed out to Tatte, a nice little bakery we found last year that we love.  All the way there, it seemed I felt worse and worse.  Some nausea, and a dull ache on my right side.  I kept going.  My husband asked me again if something was wrong, and I said no.

We got to the bakery, and I found us a table.  We decided he'd take care of the order so that I could secure a seat for us.  Except I was getting worse, and ended up running into the restroom.  I can only say that I flat out knew it was something serious, not a stomach bug or something.  When I got out, my husband was just finishing up in line.  I just said "we need to leave.  I don't feel well."  He knows me enough that if I say that, I mean it.  We walked out without our breakfast, and he asked questions.

Being with someone you trust and love when something isn't right is priceless, but the silver lining is that he is an EMT as well.  I told him we were walking back to the hotel.  That wasn't a good idea, but my mind was made up.  We got ourselves there, and I was sick again.  He knew I needed to go to the emergency room.  

The closest to our hotel was Massachusetts General Hospital.  11 miles, according to Google maps.  

Their emergency room isn't like any other I've been to with family.  It's quite odd.  You give insurance and ID to one person.  The next person sees you, takes your blood pressure, asks more questions.  Then they have you sit in a waiting room.  They call you into another room, draw blood.  Send you back out to the waiting room.  Everything is centered on that waiting room.   The doctors and nurses hook up IVs, discuss your tests results, etc., all in the waiting room.  I have a hearing loss, so it wasn't a big thing for me, but my husband knew what was wrong with every single person there.

A CT scan was performed, and based on the test results, they determined I had a very serious kidney infection, with two kidney stones.  One had formed a blockage.  Based on the infection, they said I needed to be admitted.  They already had me on antibiotics and some pain killers.

It was a rough night!  The plan was that if the infection was under control by morning, I could be discharged to go home and see an urologist immediately on my return.  Instead, my infection was worse.

They decided they needed to put a stent in.  I had that procedure done.  Sometimes they can let you go home after.   However, based on the combined issues I was having, they aid that 1 of 3 people end up in the ICU after so I had to stay another night.

While I was in very rough shape the next day, they agreed to let me go home in the afternoon because my blood work showed the infection was getting better.  They loaded me up  with two more IVs of antibiotics, then discharged me.

There are all sorts of little stories and what not in between, but I've already gone on and on.  The stent is draining properly, but the urologist would not schedule an appointment without the paperwork from MGH.  I was home Wednesday night, so my regular doctor had me come in for blood work on Friday afternoon to monitor the infection.  While I was there, the papers from MGH came in.  Based on my office visit, I know I am doing much better but we didn't have test results by the end of the day.  If there was anything alarming, he would have called me at home.

I should know when my appointment is on Monday.  My doctor said they would likely blast the stone and then remove the stent after.  

So, it was a rough week!   Really, really rough.  It was emotional too, because I was thinking so many things.  How much I love my family, and how much they care.  How great the doctors in Boston were, how great my doctor was at home.  My sisters and brothers all reaching out to me, my daughter's best friend bringing me flowers.  I don't want to sound dramatic, but you start to appreciate all the small things.

One of the medications I'm on causes fatigue and lightheadedness, so I'm trying to take my time with things.  I will be going back to work on Monday, at this point.  There will be some discomfort until everything is taken care of.  I just want to be healthy for my cruise in August.  I do have trip insurance, if needed.

And I'm thankful for everyone here, and the ability to always share with all of you.

There's too much to talk about now, but a few funny stories about the drive home, starting with not being able to button any pants.  The bloating is incredible.

Oh Laurie!  I’m so sorry you got so sick on your Boston trip 😢. I was a paramedic working out of Mass General for six years. The ER is a zoo, but you get amazing care. I hope your stones are gone never to return!  That can’t have been a fun 5 hour drive home. Get well soon. Melody

Laurie.

I read your story with compassion and disbelief. What a blessing how aware you were that something was seriously wrong and not to be taken lightly. I pray your discomfort is eased quickly. Relax; take care of yourself and let others care for you. I will echo Melody in telling you to get well soon!

First Laurie...so sorry to hear how you were sick. I know you were looking forward to your Boston trip...the timing is awful, but I can't help but think that's so much better than this happening before or during the wedding. I hope you have a speedy recovery...do take it easy and ease back into things. Going to work on Monday...wow, I admire your work ethic but do hope that you don't tax yourself. Hugs.

For the launches. I'm not an expert at all...but the way it was for this past launch. There was a 4-hour window for the launch, beginning Monday night. IDK why they announce the window...perhaps for reasons of air space? For local residents? IDK...but there was one. AND...should the launch not happen in that window, there was a second window that began on Tuesday night. IDK if the launch windows will always be on consecutive days...that makes sense to me, but I know that you can get the information in advance to know when the windows are.

For paid viewing at KSC, the website says that you are buying a ticket for a launch...not a day. So if the launch doesn't happen on the day you go...then your viewing ticket is valid for the next window. However, most of those tickets look like an add on to the normal admission...and I believe that you will need to buy another admission ticket for the next window day. 

The KSC website has dates listed for the next launches. I'm totally down for getting together with anyone that can make it down here for a launch viewing. I think that would be great fun.

Our 22-year wedding anniversary is next weekend...still in the process of figuring out what we might do... So many different Independence Day events around here. I was thinking about how this is likely to be DS's last Independence Day for 4 years since his academic year in London ends right around that day...but DS isn't a big Independence Day enthusiast. He's not much into fireworks...

DH and I got our FL DL Friday...we're official now for taking advantage of FL resident offers everywhere! Woot woot.

• Like 1

Laurie, I hope you are starting to feel a bit better. I am wondering if you were really well enough to go to work today? That was quite an ordeal you went through. DH had a bout of kidney stones years ago, and it was excruciating, but nearly as bad as your episode. Sending you healthy thoughts. 💐