All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Sally, when I retired I donated all but 2 of my suits to Dressed for Success. They were pleased to get them & I was glad to clean out an entire closet of suits. I’m still going thru race shirts...just when I think I’m getting close to done I pull out another giant tub of them!  I’m taking the weekend off from cleaning out!  Melody

• Like 1

So many great conversations going on.  

Sally, I want to answer your question about banks being busy first.  

There are three things overall creating a lot of work.  The first is for our savings department, with people needing to tap into their time deposit accounts and retirement funds unexpectedly.  In the lending department, there are two things that complete contrast one another.  The first, and the biggest, is that both the state and federal government have passed legislation for mortgage payment relief.  Technically, it doesn't fully relate to my bank but every lender is trying to help their customers.  It involves payment deferral for at least three months.  It requires a procedure, application, forbearance agreement, then a large amount of computer work for each loan.  This is not something we are used to doing, so it has taken a great deal of work.

The flip side is that when this started, people heard about the Federal Reserve dropping rates to near zero.  The immediate thought was that banks must have lowered their mortgage rates too.  While  that is not necessarily true, if you have a mortgage at 4% and just haven't checked to see what rates are in a while, you are now thinking you should check.  So we have a ton of phone calls, and some of those calls are still resulting in an increase in mortgage applications.

That is such a big contrast, in a way.  People making some smart moves to borrow at a low rate and borrow more money, then invest it in the stock market to make money when it rebounds.  Then we have those who are employed by a small business, and have no income.  

I have to approve the applications for relief, and I have to tell you, it is very sobering, humbling and depressing, all at the same time.  My heart breaks for some of these people.

We initially sent home about 25% of our work force, as they fell into the at risk group of having existing health conditions or being over 60.  They were sent home with pay, and had the option to sign a waiver and continue.  Initially, we thought this may be just a few weeks.  It will not be.  We will not ask for those people to come back, but they can get documentation from their doctor if they need to remain out of work.

The mortgage department is the 3rd floor of the bank.  We are built into a hill, so you can actually walk into the back door and enter our department.  When I refer to us as being segregated, it means that I can't walk down to the second or first floor, and they can't walk up to us.  They also moved a few people strategically, so that if the virus hits our floor, we have someone safe on another level.   I've learned it is very hard to show people things through email and the like. 

WE are all hanging in there!

• Like 2

I plan to make stuffed peppers tomorrow.  I make them in a similar fashion to my mom.  Since I'm not going anywhere, they can cook away in the oven.  I used a mix of lean ground beef, rice, fire roasted diced tomatoes and some seasonings.  They will make the house smell great.

Tonight, we are watching the big game.  Apparently, CBS is showing the 2003 NCAA championship, and that is the one and only year that Syracuse won the natty.  So pretty much our whole county is super excited, and there will be Facebook Watch Parties, hashtags on Twitter, etc.  I'm even wearing Syracuse attire and planning to make chicken wing dip and so forth.  

I'm not even painting today, lol.  I will do some tomorrow.  I think I have a lot of time to paint, so I'm going to spend today doing laundry and odds and ends.

Margaret, you guys still good?  I know you are about a week and half a way from peak, I believe.  We are about two weeks behind you in CNY.    I think about all of you all the time, so I am grateful that you all post regularly.  

I'm kind of glad that I have to cook somewhat normally, because I'd be busting out of my clothes by now, lol.

I also love working in my home, so we are happy to spend a little time planning these things.  We already know that Boston mid May is not going to happen.  The MLB games won't resume by then, but we don't feel that traveling will be happening by then.  Massachusetts is a bit behind our state with this, so even if things start to clear up in a few more weeks, I doubt it will be in Boston.  We are going to make the best of it.  Work put a moratorium on vacations until further notice anyway.  

• Like 1

Just something to add about Instapots...they are pressure cookers, yes.  The reason I haven't bought one yet is that reason.  If you have ever thrown chili in your crockpot, or soup, or stew...they cook all day.  I think the Instapot is a way to make those things, just after work instead of cooking all day.  

I so have some quick meals that I think are pretty healthy, overall.  For example, I can come home, wrap up some salmon in foil and throw it in the oven.  I come downstairs, put a pot of water on to boil.  I chopped some grape tomoatoes in half.  

The whole wheat Barilla spaghetti goes into the water.  Meanwhile the salmon is finishing up.  When the pasta is done, I throw it in a colander to drain.  The tomatoes go right into the same pot and add the salmon and just break it up into pieces.  I add basil pesto, and throw the pasta back in and just mix it altogether.  

It's not perfect, but it pleasing to the eye and tummy, and on the table in minutes.

I'm going to do a little online shopping now.  I'm going to get the grandbaby a few Easter gifts for when we are able to see him again.  I will also be attending a virtual baby shower later this month.  Since we won't be able to do this in person, we are all shipping the gifts to her, and she will open them on a Facebook live party.  

• Like 2

Melody, my condolences on the loss of your friend. I recently lost my long-time dance mentor. He was 85 and had a good life, but I am still very sad to lose him. A group of us are planning to meet on his birthday in July, if it is possible by then, to lift a glass in his honor and perhaps sing him some show tunes. I hope you are able to find a way to honor your friend and grieve for her with others at some point. Shared grief is shared comfort. Hugs to you.

We are doing fine. We are very strict with ourselves. Like playing chess, we think several steps ahead before we go for our walks. Lately we have had the sidewalk mostly to ourselves, but we are being strategic about when we go. Yesterday it was raining in the morning, so that's when we went. By the afternoon it was sunny and more people were out. Yesterday I was able to fix my sewing machine, thanks to Youtube, and I made us a couple masks until I ran out of elastic. I will scavenger hunt later to see what I can find to use instead, or just order some online. I think masks will be part of our daily attire for quite a while.

CVmaskssmall.JPG.61db0343310c925cd4a139bac9ae4ed5.JPG

I have found Zoom to be a lifesaver. I use it to talk with friends and family, and it really eases the isolation aspect. I also watch the news in the morning for updates to our situation here in the city, and then I turn it off for the day. We learned from 9/11 that it's really important to not steep yourself in tragedy too much. We need some mental and emotional fortitude to get through this, and that means paying attention to your mental health. Our goal is to not be a strain on our health workers and hospitals, and that means going the distance.

Stay well my friends. I'm so glad to have all of you to chat with and share the good things!

• Like 3

Margaret , I am so glad to hear you are safe and doing  okay . I agree we need to step away from it once in awhile . I watched a chick flick yesterday to just give my mind a rest .

Laurie , Thanks for explaining that . No one in my family works in banking so I don't understand parts of it . I understand investments and I think borrowing money to invest in the market now is way too risky . Later on it will be a good idea but not yet .

I am gaining weight finally . I am now 115 . I was down to 107 which looked awful . I am hoping to get to 125. Been reading a lot .

• Like 1

Margaret, I repurposed some linen napkins into masks today using elastic cord I had in my sewing box. 

Les is doing so much better. We’re relaxing with a James Bond marathon in order...it'll take a couple of days!  I’ve never watched so much screen in my life!!!

thank you all for the condolences for my friend, Lucy. She’d been on borrowed time for 11+ years, you’d never meet a happier or more positive person, every day was lived to the utmost!  Melody 

• Like 1

Laurie...such an interesting answer about how you are so busy. It makes so much sense to read but I wouldn't have gotten there on my own.

There is so much great entertainment to be hand online right now. Is everyone aware of the YouTube channel "The Show Must Go On"?

The current show is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat...and there will be other Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals released every Friday, beginning with a "live" showing that begins at 7:00 PM London time. And then the musical is available to stream for 48 hours following that production.

The Metropolitan Opera has nightly streams and some availability for 20 hours following? 

This is big news...the Bolshoi ballet online!

http://www.danceaustralia.com.au/news/watch-the-bolshoi-online-for-the-first-time-in-its-history

If you have any interest in performances of arts that may not be feasible to go to...now is the time to look and see if they are offering some online performances.

Several popular artists are also doing "living room concerts".

There's just a lot going on though online community right now.

I watched the Joseph Dreamcoat film last night. What a hoot!! Very entertaining...really cheesy in some places but a lot of good quality singing and dancing. Margaret was telling me about the Apache dance. Maybe she could share that here too. She's the knowledgeable one on that.

I just finished doing a pedi/mani on the veranda. I love that word... Toes are green and fingers are bright red/orange...the color is called geranium. 

Melody, your friend sounds like an inspiration to all who knew her. What a gift to give everyone! 

So nice to read what everyone is doing to live this new kind of life we now have. When this is past us I know that I will certainly appreciate each “normal” day.

Stay safe and well everyone😊.

Sharon

• Like 1

This was lunch I made last week:

IMG-4039.jpg

We love Indian food and used to regularly go to Indian buffets for lunch. We haven't been to one since moving to Florida. The broccoli dish is one that I have made for a long time now...it helps to put off the Indian craving. It's called Broccoli Do Pyaza, which literally means broccoli with onions. The other is Chana Masala which is a spicy chickpea dish...we love our spice so I actually don't add any sugar at all (the recipe does).

I used the leftover broccoli over the weekend for a brunch meal (after morning smoothies). Roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes with the broccoli mix on top and over medium eggs on top of it all.

Today's lunch will be the leftover Chana Masala with a Cabbage with Peas dish. I have falling into a pattern of a meatless lunch...or meatless dinner if lunch is meaty. Not just for health reasons...a bit of being able to use pantry items (chickpeas, beans, lentils) with helps to extend my time between grocery store visits.

I haven't been to the grocery store in a bit. I've gone to Target to get the TP and then I did grab a few items while I was there (berries for oatmeal, etc.) and the one more extensive shopping I did when Publix didn't get the TP in and I tried to make it worth my while to be in the store. I've been thinking that I need to plan a visit to the store, but then I look at my fridge for real, and I realize that I have more food than I'm giving my kitchen credit for. I think I'm just used to seeing MORE in my fridge and that's making me think that I need to go shopping.

So today, thanks to the couple of supplemental shopping trips (the TP search), I'm finally needing to prepare for another stock up type shopping trip like I did back around March 14. BUT, I don't want to go prematurely. I'm going to make myself a mask so that I can join the effort. I've shared this quote on other threads here, but I love the sentiment. "I wear a mask to protect you from me. You wear a mask to protect me from you." I'm going to take the time to really look at what I have on hand. Produce is what sends me back to the store...fast thoughts at my stock on hand though...and I keep thinking that I have several meals still.

The house smells fabulous right now because I'm trying pumpkin bread. I have one can of Libby's and had 6 cans of Trader Joe's. There's only one egg left so I found an egg-free recipe for the bread using flax seed eggs so fingers crossed. I had bought so much pumpkin because I LOVE pumpkin bread so I stocked up back around Thanksgiving, but just never made any.

I think that's the case with a lot of stuff in my pantry...things I've bought that I planned to do but because they weren't already in my rotation of things I normally do...I don't do them! So I'm getting over that. I think that's one very good thing about this situation...it's been forcing me to take a look at the way I do somethings and I think that I will be able to streamline some household responsibilities that have always been something of a headache for me.

• Like 2

Hey @pacruise804! I have no idea how close you are to Philly? Have you ever eaten at Dizengoff? For that matter...has anyone else ever eaten there? It's in Philly. I've recently discovered it online because I was looking for different ways to eat hummus. I love hummus...and I have a great recipe for it. I still have 2 cans of chickpeas...was thinking about making hummus but was wondering how to turn hummus into a meal...and OMG, I found out how to do it. 

I guess there are Israeli restaurant called hummusiyas...which is basically a place where you can get hummus bowls. Think rice bowl, but instead of rice on the bottom, it's HUMMUS. The topping possibilities are endless. Serve with pita bread. So I go to the Dizengoff website to see if I can get a clue, knowing this will be difficult because it's the kind of place whose menu changes daily...and lo and behold, they have a COOKBOOK called Israeli Soul. My Overdrive library has it...now I have it...and I'm all over this idea of a hummus bowl for lunch sometime this week. I have to see what veg I have that will work the best...but I'm feeling good about this.

AND...there's a pita bread recipe!!! The dough is entirely made in the food processor, whips up in 2 minutes...and you spend most of the time waiting for the dough to rise and rest. OMG...I'm so excited for this.

But I was wondering if anyone had actually been there and if they had any favorite combinations that they could recommend...

And for anyone interested...this is the hummus recipe that I love so much:

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

It's all about the methodology. That whole blend the lemon and tahini together first into a whip is KEY. IIRC, my food processor needs the quantity of a double batch to do it right. FYI. 

• Like 1

Hello All, so many yummy looking food pictures and recipe ideas! Just wondering if anyone is offering curb side pick up😁.

We have ordered take out this way a few times. It has worked well but I still miss actually going into a restaurant. Will really appreciate it when we can once again do that and so many other things that I have always just taken for granted.

Sharon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Hello All, so many yummy looking food pictures and recipe ideas! Just wondering if anyone is offering curb side pick up😁.

We have ordered take out this way a few times. It has worked well but I still miss actually going into a restaurant. Will really appreciate it when we can once again do that and so many other things that I have always just taken for granted.

Sharon

Me too, I miss the actual restaurant experience . We have a restaurant near us that is always packed and we meet our friends there . We have done take out a few times but it was just so -so except the pizza that was great .

I may be the only person in the world who does not like hummus . I just don't get it . I also don't do lunch . I cook dinner and for lunch we both do our own things . I am nice and once every few weeks I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches or something else . My SO would be shocked if I started making lunch . This way He is thrilled when I make the occasional grilled cheese. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I also don't do lunch . I cook dinner and for lunch we both do our own things . I am nice and once every few weeks I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches or something else . My SO would be shocked if I started making lunch . This way He is thrilled when I make the occasional grilled cheese. 

Same here. After all, I don’t want DH to get used to all this home cooked food! I’m not sure how long I will be able to keep up this cooking every night thing-I’m already sick of it and it hasn’t even been a month! Even with meals I’ve frozen or planned left overs, there is still work involved and clean up. Oh for the good old days!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Me too, I miss the actual restaurant experience . We have a restaurant near us that is always packed and we meet our friends there . We have done take out a few times but it was just so -so except the pizza that was great .

I may be the only person in the world who does not like hummus . I just don't get it . I also don't do lunch . I cook dinner and for lunch we both do our own things . I am nice and once every few weeks I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches or something else . My SO would be shocked if I started making lunch . This way He is thrilled when I make the occasional grilled cheese. 

Sally, I also don’t care for hummus & I seldom do lunch. Lunch around here is YoYo (you’re on your own). When we’d go out a lot of times we’d do Linner lunch/dinner about 3pm. I do miss going to a restaurant, any restaurant. Melody

Edited by awhfy

Anita, I'm about 2.5 - 3 hours from Philly and have only been there once or twice.  We've thought about doing a long weekend (or midweek) trip but always end up doing a cruise 😉 Maybe when this is done we will start doing more "local" vacations and stay within the state.

I'm another one who doesn't like hummus, some is texture but I've also never liked chick peas/garbanzo beans.

We didn't eat out often before and lunches are mostly salads for DH and I (kids are old enough to fix their own lunch).  I am starting to get a little sick of cooking, but I struggle getting take out that I then have to recook at home (most places are 20 minutes away so food would be cold).  Local pizza and subs are good, but a girl can only eat so much of it 🙂 

My daughter and I were going to give blood this afternoon, but the drive has been canceled.  We have appointments for June now.  I think instead we will start sorting recipes this afternoon (assuming she doesn't need to study).

Here are 2 zucchini recipes if anyone is interested in "healthy" desserts.  The first is a cookie I found years ago from Animal Vegetable Miracle and the second is a cake my mom would make (different than zucchini bread). 

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Makes about two dozen)

1 EGG, BEATEN

½ CUP BUTTER softened

½ CUP BROWN SUGAR

1/3 CUP HONEY

1 TBSP. VANILLA EXTRACT

Combine in large bowl.

1 CUP WHITE FLOUR

1 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR

½ TSP BAKING SODA

¼ TSP SALT

¼ TSP CINNAMON

¼ TSP NUTMEG

Combine in a separate, small bowl and blend into liquid mixture

1 CUP FINELY SHREDDED ZUCCHINI

12 OZ CHOCOLATE CHIPS

Stir these into other ingredients, mix well.

Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350° , 10 to 15 minutes.

Zucchini (Summer Squash) Cake

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup oil

1 1/2 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups grated zucchini

1/4 cup chopped nuts (I use toasted pecans, I'm sure mom used walnuts)

1/4 cup raisins (I use craisins and they work well too)

Beat eggs and sugar until very light. Gradually beat in oil. Combine dry ingredients and 1 1/4 cup flour. Add & mix alternately with squash to egg mixture.  Toss nuts and raisins with remaining flour and stir into mixture (helps keep from sinking).  Pour into greased, floured 8" square pan. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes before removing (I leave in pan).  May be frosted or dusted with powdered sugar (mom's writing says 10x, but I think that's powdered sugar and what I use).

I never liked zucchini breads growing up, but loved Mom's cake and was thrilled when I found the recipe in some of my grandmother's papers ❤️ 

Cooking every night is HARD! I've always had issues with it. I've analyzed my issue though...and I have found that two things are what make it hard. 1. the CLEANING. Cooking can use so many prep dishes, cooking dishes, the eating dishes...OMG. With everyone home...multiple meals per day...just so. many. dishes. And then, 2. OMG...I get so sick of trying to figure out what to eat all the time! I don't have a regular rotation of meals...my shopping has always been very fluid...I used to be the queen of manager's specials...and then whatever is on sale in the produce department and then, somehow, I figure out dinner. It's nothing that is especially planned.

I like the YOYO lunch but that just doesn't work for us. DH did his time sheet for yesterday and he had already worked almost 60 hours this week (carry over from Friday and then working over the weekend). He's pulling 12-16 hour days and he is often on a call and eating his lunch with his headset on mute...pausing in his meal when he has to speak. There is no time for him to get his own lunch.

The closest I get to YOYO lunch is when I plan the make your own sandwich, build your own taco, build your own bowl kind of meal. I get the components ready...and often this is just chopping. Like poke bowls...OMG...we love our poke bowls, which is like sushi in rice bowl form. I thank God I have a rice cooker...made the poke, and the add ons and bam, done. I do a lot of meals that are stir fry like...one pot -ish. So I do a lot of chopping...and I actually love chopping. Very Zen. Very rhythmic.

I have my fall back meals that I do when I just can't think of what else to do...but I like cooking so much that I generally seek out things.

I must admit that I was feeling more lazy than not when DS was home over the break...and after he left, I was feeling bad that there were things that I didn't make for him while he was here. So I'm making up for that in a way...it's nice to have an appreciate audience! LOL.

I had to go to the store today. I was going to try to put it off as long as possible, but then I ultimately decided that I should just get it done. I guess the latest talk is that Florida is going to peak around April 21 and all this talk about only going to even the grocery store if it is absolutely essential in the next two weeks...so I decided to just get it done. 

I shopped like the Zombie Apocalypse is happening...but I was seriously running out of everything, even pantry essentials like olive oil, etc. But it's all sorted now...and I'm hoping and praying that my too stuffed fridge won't freeze everything due to lack of air circulation!!

How funny on the hummus. I feel that way about grits. OMG...DH and DS LOVE grits and I'm like...meh. I did figure out how to cook a cheesy version that is outstanding though. I like those. 

I need to do my nails...AGAIN. Did them over the weekend, but between cleaning the kitchen and other chores, I have casualties that are just bugging me to see...so I think I'll sit here and do my nails. 

I haven't posted purple hair pictures...the ones I took aren't the best...I wanted Dh to help me take some in the sunshine but it's just been so crazy around here...I keep forgetting. 

• Like 3

This is so interesting.  This is what my day of food looks like.

I have a cup of coffee before I leave for work.  I used to drink a few more cups when I got to work, but I now drink water for the rest of the day, for the most half.

My breakfast, at my desk, is usually these oat bars by Quaker.  I think they are called oat thins or something like that.  They have under 200 calories and pretty much no fat or cholesterol.

For lunch, I eat Chobani Greek yogurt.  They have all sorts of versions with fruit. Then I eat more fruit besides.  Today it was some raspberries and strawberries and a little cup of organic applesauce.  

Dinner is when I cook.  We  eat lots of chicken and salmon.  For variety, I add some meals with ground beef or a pork loin.  There are always lots of veggies involved.  My favorite thing to do is grab whatever looks fresh at the store, and I roast them.  For example, brussel sprouts, grape tomatoes, and yellow squash.  I generally mix in a few tablespoons of olive oil and then whatever spices catch my eye. A small amount of balsamic vinegar is great, or maybe I'll use a garlic pepper seasoning.  I have one that I love that is lemon rosemary.

A lot of times I'll put the veggies over rice.  Sometimes I'll replace ground beef with ground turkey, but that doesn't always work.  The turkey gets really mushy.

Sundays are when I like to make something that requires more time.  I made stuffed peppers on Sunday.  Sometimes I'll make things like a roast chicken, or meatloaf or lasagna...that is really something I only make about twice a year.

Do you ever make breakfast for dinner?  That is a fun thing to do.  I made waffles and sausage one day last week.

Now, I can be pretty good about avoiding snacks at work simply by not bringing them with me.  Since I get there at 7:30 and don't leave until the end of the day (5 or later) I really don't have the ability to grab a snack.  I do have my vices though, and if I bring certain things to work, they are gone in no time.  If I have them in the house, they are gone.

It's Easter time, so Nerds Bumpy Jelly Beans and Sweetart Jelly Beans are an important part of my diet, lol.

I haven't been into baking too much lately, but I made a loaf of banana bread a few weeks ago, and I have a can or organic pumpkin in the pantry, so I think I'm going to make some pumpkin bread soon.

Overall, I don't buy a ton of canned goods.  I have been trying to find replacements for processed food when I can, which is hard.  There is usually a starch with the veggies and meat.fish.  I've tried some nice grain/rice medleys that our store has, where I use things like vegetable broth and spices.  I'm making it up as I go so sometimes it comes out better than others.

• Like 1

Happy Passover & Happy Easter. It’ll be a Zoom kind of celebration this year. Our oldest SIL turns 50 on Friday, the huge party has been postponed, we’ll have virtual cake this year. 

I made an apple crumble the other night, just threw oats & brown sugar & cinnamon sugar together & put on top of a couple of almost dead apples. Les asked what I did differently as he loved it (it was sweeter than I normally make). So happy guy, happy life, he ate all but the 2 tablespoons i ate ( finally getting his appetite back).

couple of super pink moon last night. Melody

6C7F2E0E-B03A-47C4-B5A9-2DC407D7FD88.jpeg

5D6D6C88-A352-4008-85E0-D92C20D6FA9E.jpeg

6256823D-E1E3-4F26-8B0D-73581A304369.jpeg

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 2