All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Our son’s new house was contracted  to include all the appliances (he had pictures of all the appliances (really nice ones) & the tractor for the 5 acre lot. He went to do the final walkthrough & all the appliances (including the garbage disposal) had been pulled out & sold. The tractor was gone. The sellers had just declared bankruptcy; but the sellers real estate agent honored the contract (except for the tractor). They’ve replaced all the appliances (at Costco) & had a 3-day delivery, all Samsung & the real estate agent made good with the cash (took a huge bite out of her commission, but earned her a lot of goodwill)  He’ll get a nice check from Costco at the end of the year too. 

Our daughter’s house included the appliances too but they replaced with new high end & sold the other appliances (I ended up with a nice new garage fridge for 2 good bottles of wine!!!)

It’s so irritating when a contracted item is taken or switched for an inferior product.

Anita, on the washer/dryer, contact the Sellers real estate agent & place that replaced the appliances, let them know about the moldy front loader & gas smell...those appliances should not have been sold. They are not an acceptable replacement. Melody

My fridge is about 13 years old, and still going strong.  We did not get the water on the door, but we do have an ice maker.  What I don't like is that typically, water on the door is filtered but the water for the ice is not.  We have been talking about a whole house filter, but I don't know what is involved in that just yet.  

As silly as it sounds, if I put that ice in the filtered water, I don't like it.  We use a filtered pitcher but we drink a lot of water so it seems like we are always refilling it and waiting for it to get cold.

I'm going to try both dresses on again very shortly.  I think it will be good to try again and see what I think.  For the print dress, I was looking at the photos online, and they have that usual straight from the front photo which are highly unflattering for the models, lol.  But the colors are accurate there.  By describing the colors as powderly, I mean that they took some warm, muted colors, and lightened them by adding a cooler white.  It is still very beautiful and I would wear it, I just wanted to elaborate a little on my previous comment.

The brown is going to be interesting.  I truly love the color, and I do think the style is "me" for sure.  the stiffness of the barci and the gap will have to be addressed though.  I think the only reason I notice the stiffness is because of the gap.  without it,  probably wouldn't have picked up on it.  

Now I need a place to wear these!

One thought I had with everything going on is that it might be a good year for a driving trip to Lake Placid.  We haven't done that in a few years.  I need to see what happens with my cruise.  I hate the idea of making the final payment, then having to wait for a refund, future cruise credit, or whatever.  With a refund, they credit back the way you pay for it so if you carry any kind of balance on your credit card, you don't get that back directly to reuse.  While it would seem like no big deal, as you can just use the card for whatever, that can be complicated if you want to redirect that money to something else.  

Has anyone here paid for a cruise not using a credit card?  Debit cards have limits.  

I have been reading the Royal Caribbean board and refunds have been taking a very long time but they do have this lift and shift program . You can rebook a similar cruise and get price protection. Have you already purchased airfare ?

I always pay via credit card .Usually refunds are very quick.

Edited by Sailor_Sally
  • Like 1

Okay, so the print dress is a keeper.  Its a great fit, and it made a world of difference trying it on now, instead of when it was 100 degrees out.  😊

The brown dress im still on the fence.  I have a few pictures for you.  Ignorance color looking a little cool...it isn't.  I just didn't try to adjust the lighting at all as I wanted you to see the gap and how the dress is designed.

I think I need another dart.  Adjusting the existing dart will not work.  This dart would be above.  I drew in where it would need to b20200712_121053.thumb.jpg.6f5496b55f84985925d10a9db88e9378.jpge.

20200712_121653.jpg

20200712_120817.jpg

20200712_120946.jpg

Such a pretty brown dress with an interesting fabric! Hope you can adjust it as you’d like it to fit.

We too have a frig with an ice maker which we did not hook up and we keep the on-off lever in the off position. The filter thing was an issue plus my research showed that ice makers are the source of many repairs. We use the old fashioned ice cube trays and water from our Brita. Yep, it’s more work and can be a pain when we need a lot of ice. We do not have water in the door either. Since we have wood floors, we decided that water in the door would lead to drips on the floor and did not want a throw rug on the floor or something at the base of the water dispenser to catch drips and spills. Took me over 2 years to pick out the frig. Kept my fingers crossed that our old frig would hold out until I made up my mind.  Ours is a Whirlpool and so far so good, I think it’s 5 years old, possibly older.

Anita, I hope you find the perfect frig and stackable W & D. DS chose that style although they bought a pair that can go side by side or stack with a special holder. My problem with the dryer, which is on top, is that I am too short to see all the controls! We stay in their condo when they travel and I have had to take a picture of the dryer controls and then stand on my tip toes to set the dryer! Stacking does free up space for other things. 

Sharon

• Like 1

Laurie, that looks like an easy fix for the dress. 

our fridge (Whirlpool) is ice & water in the door, both go through the water filter. We change the filter every 3 months. I couldn’t go back to not having ice available all the time. 

I’m  seriously thinking about another washer/dryer. We have Maytags now that we’ve had about 15 years. I’m thinking the non agitator type of washer might be better for the clothes. Anyone have one?

Well we decided to get the Whirlpool. It's so fancy...all the bells and whistles. Two compressors. 4-door French Door style with tons and tons of organization. Filtered water and ice. I don't care about the ice. Our family rarely uses ice. The guys drink cold water but I drink room temperature water...so I always fill my Nalgene and let it sit around. I was freaking out on the expense but DH is so happy to help me get a great tool for the kitchen. So...yay! No idea when it's going to be delivered though...it has to be ordered and there are issues because of COVID. Loving hearing the good news on Whirlpool...it's matching what I was reading online.

Opted for a GE stacked unit. I really dislike front load washers. I've only had access to one once...in a rental. I've always purchased top loaders. The loft apartment in Winston had a stacked unit and I enjoyed it a lot. Moving the laundry from the washer to the dryer is actually nice...straight up and into the dryer! No bending over and dropping laundry in between. People don't like stacked because of the concern for when one of the two parts of the machine have issues...but I'm willing to deal with it to get the functionality that I want. Sharon...with the stacked...the controls area all there in the middle for both...but I could totally picture what you were talking about.

Melody...I've had no agitator top loaders for the two most recent machines. Up in Winston and down here in Orlando. They have been so good...that's the style that I got in my stacked unit. The machine itself can balance itself really well, so very few times does the load rock around from being unbalanced. The only that has happened is that sometimes our king-sized fitted sheet gets caught over the whole load...with the elastics part tucked all around the load and covering the load. Then the load doesn't spin dry as well. So I've become more diligent about pushing the sheets into the machine as if there were an agitator in the middle and the didn't have that issue.

Interesting dress Laurie. That fabric is really unique. Curious what you will decide...and how it turns out if you get it altered.

• Like 1

Woohoo, Anita! I bet you can’t wait for the frig delivery and to start using it.  Nice that your W& D have controls in the center. Since the  set my kids have could be either side by side or stacked, the controls are across the top of each machine. So if I get any shorter, I will need a step stool or a tall person!  I agree that it is easier to transfer laundry compared to my side by side. 

Hope you don’t have to wait top long for the delivery. 

Sharon

Anita, your fridge sounds exactly like our daughter’s. I’m pretty sure hers is a Whirlpool. She loves the 4 drawer. All snacks (Yogurt, berries, etc) go Into the drawer. No need to open the big doors looking for something. (She is scary organized). Hope it comes quickly!!!

Melody...OMG. All the similarities with the kitchen situation made me want to go look at your daughter's kitchen photos again. She does have the 4-door fridge style. It's kind of odd that they call it a 4-door because it is actually a 2-door/2-drawer style...but that's a technicality...whatever. Anyway...her fridge appears to be the knock twice LG model. It's a bit more fancy than my fridge. You knock twice on the black glass and it lights up the fridge inside and you can see through the glass to what is inside the fridge. Then you knock twice again on the glass to make the light go out.

And it also looks like the door in a door model where you can pinch the handle in one spot and it just opens the door layer of the fridge and lets you access the door storage which doesn't move unless you grab the handle in a different way to completely move the door AND the door storage to get into the fridge. Both features are supposed to help with energy efficiency so that you don't have the door to the fridge open as much. You can put frequent grab items in the door storage to get at 'em without having to open up the whole fridge.

IDK if her top drawer is a flex drawer? That's one thing I don't recall...but on the Whirlpool model, it is. You can set the temperature for whatever you put there...freezer, deli, produce, drinks. And YES, the ability to use that drawer however you want to be able to not have the whole fridge open is really awesome.

I hope it comes quickly too!! LOL.

I'm embracing the knee high sock look. I have a bunch of fun compression socks from Crazy Compression...and I started wearing them again yesterday. All this activity... DH and I are calling it the homeowner's fitness plan. We got a mower yesterday. We're the only people on the cup-de-sac without a riding lawn mower. Well, maybe the neighbor who pays someone else to do her yard doesn't...but her dude she pays has a riding mower. We got the mower we used to have in GA...an electric push mower. LOL. For our over half acre yard. LOL. Thing is...with all our plans...we will not need a riding mower eventually. Meanwhile, we're getting some exercise and hot/humid air with yard work. LOL. The electric mower is so much quieter...kind of like a not too loud vacuum cleaner. You can still hear the birds...and the crickets...and the frogs? LOL

• Like 2

Anita, sounds like a really nice frig with great features.

Margaret, I ordered the Bliss grapefruit body butter on Saturday and it just arrived. Smells really nice. Now if it will just keep the bugs away, I’ll be really happy! Thanks for sharing.

Sharon

Appliances are an interesting thing.  I really feel that if you use them a lot, then it is important to get the item that suits you best.  I know I got a bit freaky when I was buying my washer and dryer, but I enjoy laundry, and I wanted to take care of our clothes and so forth.  I just love them...they were worth every penny.  I did get a sale, so it wasn't too bad.  

I always get the really big washers and dryers...I love washing the blankets and things like that so I like that I can fit them easily.

I made a point of getting a double oven too, and I am so happy I did.  While I may not use both ovens at one all the time, they are great to have during holidays or if I am making pies or cookies and the like.  One thing I have always thought about was having something that could cook food faster yet healthy.  I know we had a discussion not long ago about air fryers and the like.

All my kitchen appliances are about 13 years old now.  They last  a while.  I wouldn't mind  a different dishwasher.  Mine is okay.  It does the job, but I often wish I had something better.  I wouldn't mind a different fridge, but I don't have to have it.  I often feel that I will be replacing the dishwasher in the next two years, and then the fridge after that.  I mostly want a fridge that is set up differently than what I have.

I'm happy that you are getting what you would like.  You will have these for a long time to come.

That is a lot of land for a push mower.  Is your yard flat?  We have a big lot, but it is not flat.  We have some different areas that have really gotten away from us.  I'm on the fence about what to do.  I told my husband a week ago that we need to sit down seriously and talk about how to fix the landscaping. We need to make certain areas easier to maintain, and we have to find a solution to the bull thistle that is so hard to get rid of.  Those thorns are awful and you can did down a full foot to get the root and they still come back.

I'm trying to avoid chemicals, but even when we have tried weed killers, they still come back.  The whole deal with vinegar and dish soap doesn't even phase those things.

Anita, I'm curious what you thought about the dress.  I am not sure how I feel about adding that dart, because it might look odd.  I wish the fabric was softer too, but I think it will work out fine.  I have to adjust the hip area a bit, but that is an easy fix since it is a straight, basic seem.  I don't need to take it in all the way down, just a bit through the hips.

Now, once I lose my 7 pounds from not going to the gym, I may need to take it in more.   I really wasn't gaining anything all through March, April, May.  Then about mid June, it came out of nowhere so I am trying to use my hand weights and move around more.

My gym is not that clean.  I don't have a lot of faith in them when they are ready to reopen.  I always joke that my husband should ask them for a job because he is always cleaning up after everyone.   I got to thinking that when my younger daughter moves out, I could make her room into a home gym.  My concern is that when I go to the gym, I commit myself to it.  At home, I would probably feel guilty that I wasn't doing something else and abandon my workout half way through.  Plus, all the equipment would be an arm and a leg, especially if my husband and I both use it.  

I'm rambling again, lol.  Have you started to paint yet, Anita?  I love painting rooms, especially when the rooms are already empty and nothing has to be moved.  

• Like 1

Since the dress already has the one dart...adding another dart doesn't seem like a huge deal BUT the one thing that I wonder is if it would give you missiles on your chest? Like pointy? Especially if the fabric is stiff. You'd really have to nail that dart placement, I'm thinking, but that would be my concern. IDK if you like the dress so much that it's worth it to go to the hassle of that? Or if it's just not the dress for you...it all depends on how much you really like the dress.

I would not go to a gym any time soon. I really wouldn't. All that heavy breathing in an indoor space is not somewhere that I would be stress free about. So I totally understand about that...but I'm sorry to hear about your 7 pounds. 😞 I don't have a scale so I can't say what gain I've had but I do know that I've gotten bigger...lower got a bit bigger than the upper...and I'm seriously hoping that the new place will help with that.

We have a large screened patio. We've dedicated one half to a home gym type place. The heavy bag, the free weights, hand weights, the new weight bench and the recumbent bike are all there. We talk about building fun stuff in the yard. Inside the house, the flex room/formal dining room is a perfect space to turn into a yoga/physical therapy/Zumba type room. Here's the screened patio..LOL you can see DS's friend in the back bedroom:

D509276-D-5-E95-4-E19-9-D01-5-F1-F0-B1-E

555-F6639-4-D5-C-42-F2-B6-A1-307-BD36-F2

The view out into the yard...it's a pleasant place to work out. 

How big is your lot? I thought you had a few acres? Have you thought about building an exercise room on your property? Have you seen these?

https://www.studio-shed.com

They are prefab, like storage sheds but built to be used for all kinds of purposes. They generally fall into a temporary category like a storage shed so that you don't have to get any building permits. We have thought about this, but it'd be a future thing. But it is nice to have a dedicated space. You do have to get into the mindset of going to your "space" and doing your thing...which isn't necessarily easy even though you'd think it would be easier than having to drive to work out.

And as you might see from the photo...our yard is almost perfectly flat. There is a drainage area in the front toward the street...a tube thing runs under the driveway and it goes across all the yards...but that is literally the only slope in the yard. Florida is pretty flat all over.

We have not started painting yet. We took down the wallpaper and we scraped off the popcorn on the ceiling. We've been researching textures for the ceiling as that seems the next step. We've decided to do a skip trowel look. 

• Like 1

Melody , I have the Maytag bravos washer . It is fine .It does do what Anita said with the sheets and that is annoying . Otherwise it cleans fine and I like it . I am not really picky about appliances . As long as they work I am happy . A friend  of mine did have the 2 drawer 2 door refrigerator and she loved it 

Anita , I have a whirlpool refrigerator and I like it a lot . With the french doors you have to make sure both doors are closed. I love the big shelves for when we entertain.  

We have a lawn mower that we only used a few times . It is so inexpensive in Florida to have lawn care and the heat gets so brutal so we have had a lawn guy forever . 

We also have a home gym . I usually do not have a routine but I do make myself exercise several days a week . This sounds like I am virtuous but I love fattening food .

• Like 1

Anita, the top drawer on Karin’s fridge is a flex drawer, it can be a freezer or fridge drawer. I really don’t know the brand she has. Our son’s new fridge looks just like hers & is a Samsung. I like my Whirlpool. 

Laurie, dishwasher. Hmm. First appliance we bought in this house, 35 years ago the first of September was a Kitchen Aid dishwasher. One of the pieces on the top rack broke about a month ago. I got all excited & started researching dishwashers. Mr FixIt (Les) ordered the part from Amazon, yes he’s that guy that saves EVERY manual, I was stunned they still had the part. So no new dishwasher for me, yet. 

Sally, thanks, I’ll look at the Maytag Bravo. I’ve been happy with my Maytags but I really want the no agitator

We’re still stuck in this really hot spell, mid-high 90s not dropping much below 75-80 at night. Really unusual for us. We’ll normally get a few days of really hot then rains come & cools off. We’re just getting wicked thunderstorms that drip a little water. So glad we replaced our central ac unit last year. Melody

We did get a little rain yesterday. Weather forecasters said rain at 3pm. Exactly at 3pm it started to pour...of course it stopped at 3:05. It did rain 2 more times tho for a total of 1-1/2” of rain. Cooled it to 70 Yay!!!

9D584FE1-C599-40F1-B82C-1AAD48D6BFCF.jpeg

F4776735-CBC1-4CE4-B407-15706E838A79.jpeg

• Like 1

We had our own bit of appliance drama this week when our freezer stopped working. I have learned that if we unplug the refrigerator for a couple of days, let it really thaw out, and plug it in again, it comes back. It only happens in the summer, so I think it is connected to having a row of very hot and humid days. Something about it's design, or because it fits into a cabinet (looks like a built-in but isn't), might also be a factor. We emptied everything into the downstairs unit for two days, and now it seems to be fine. Tuesday is usually my grocery day, so I was really happy I hadn't just filled it with a week's worth of food! I will take a quick run through the store today for the weekend stuff and put off a big shop until next week.

I did order a few things from Garnet Hill. First up:

https://www.garnethill.com/v-neck-tie-sleeve-tencel-dress/554352?intlShippingCtx=US|USD&locale=en-US&SourceCode=K0W42B1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&SourceCode=K0W42B1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GH+Network+PLA&utm_content=GH+Network+PLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7GzxvDR6gIVGZSzCh3MRgddEAQYASABEgKk1PD_BwE

It is more teal than denim blue as it appears on my screen. I liked the design but I sent it back. The knit fabric was very clingy and body con, but in spite of the fit being good in the shoulders it didn't have any flow like in the photo. It seemed like it would be too hot for a spring/summer dress.

And this:

https://www.garnethill.com/pleat-detail-tank-dress/534240?searchTerm=pleat+detail+tank

I got the Midnight Sky color, which is also more teal than blue as it appears in the catalog. I had to order an M because L was out. I am glad I did because even though it's a bit snug in the bust, as I'm losing weight it will only take about 5 lbs for it to be perfect. It's a bit fuller than I like style-wise, but after a week of almost 90 degree weather I think it will be a great dress for those super hot days. It has a lining that I hope won't be too hot, but it does provide smoothing, always a plus. I have a teal JJill dress that is also fuller than I like but it's my go-to for hot days on the run this summer. So, I hope to get some good wear out of this too.

and finally:

https://www.garnethill.com/easy-embroidered-cap-sleeve-dress/568266?listIndex=0&uniqueId=568266

I had planned to order Emerald but my size was out, so I ordered Salsa. I really like this one. It has pockets which create some bulk at the hip but having pockets is worth it. It fits like a sheath but loose at the knee, not tapered in. The color is great, more orange-y than rust but not really orange either. The stitching is more taupe than white or ivory, which is perfect for me.

So fun to come home to a package on the porch!

Crazy Compression

https://crazycompression.com/collections/all-crazy-compression-socks

is having a sale today with code USA50. 50% off everything.

I've started wearing my compression socks again. I drove up to GA and back over the last two days. I drove DS's friend home. His baby sister is a high risk and with the surge in cases we changed his travel from a SW flight to the driving. Even before that I was wearing my compression socks for doing moving related and home organization and reno activity.

Anyway...I stayed with one of my best friends up there...she's a pharmacist in a hospital and she also has just gotten into wearing her compression socks again. She had a recent knee injury too...but comparing stories with her, she agreed with me that there is something about knee high compression socks that make you feel more stable in the knees.

So if anyone has a need...I recommend this brand for fun designs and quality. They aren't cheap so I always purchase when there is a sale.

Today I'm rearranging what little organization I got done on the kitchen before my 2-day road trip. I emptied the dishwasher for the first time and yeah...hate where the cups ended up in relation to the DW so I need to move things around.

• Like 1

Hello!  

Margaret, cute dresses.  I have to say, I really enjoy wearing a dress in the summer.  I have a few dresses that are the kind that you just throw on and go, with a pair of flat sandals or whatever.  I love them.  

Because I like the idea of a uniform, I like having different styles for different things.  This is all very timely, because I am off from work for a few days, and I wanted to be able to separate myself not just from my job, but from regular, everyday tasks.

Today is a normal Saturday though, so we are running odds and ends of errands, but it always ends up fun because we will end up someplace for a date lunch.  I'm wearing just cropped jeans and sleeveless top for today - nothing special.  Tomorrow is laundry and house cleaning, so another normal day.

We are planning to pull the lounge chairs out tonight, and do a little star gazing.  That will be fun. 

Now, here is where dresses and uniforms come into play.  I like to make things feel special, even in a plain sort of way.  On Monday, we are going to the outlet mall.  All the stores have outside entrances, so we throw on the mask when we go in, and can take it off outside.  I am actually thinking about what to wear.  Comfy shoes are a must because this place is huge.  I might wear a dress, or perhaps a skort with a nice top.  On the way there, we stop for brunch because there is this diner called Magee's Diner.  My dad used to like us to go there for breakfast with him, so it holds a special spot in my heart.  We get breakfast and then head to the outlet mall.  Here is the interesting part about the outlet mall....they have a super tiny food court and hardly nothing else.  It is not the kind of place where you can grab a nice lunch while you are there.  I always wondered about that...

Tuesday, we decided for an overnight stay at the Sherwood Inn.  This is located in Skaneateles.  We plan to head over that way early, and we may catch lunch, then stop at Anyela's Winery.  We will check in, then start wandering around to the little stores and the park in the village.  Dinner will be at the Sherwood itself.  So I am thinking about what I want to wear during the day, and then for dinner.  The Sherwood is a nicer place, but we are planning on eating at the tavern, which is casual.   I have an olive green maxi dress that I love.  It is a basic jersey knit, so it doesn't wrinkle and it has a loose fit, making it comfortable.  I also have ivory cropped jeans and this cold shoulder top that I really, really want to wear.  Then I have a red casual jumpsuit.

I don't know what we are going to do when we check out, but I go back to work the next day.  I probably should have planned for the whole week but opted for just a few days.

I was thinking the cold shoulder top and crops may be a good day time outfit.  I do follow the white between Memorial Day and Labor Day rule in general, because it fits our weather patterns here so wearing that soft ivory during the day just embraces summer.  The cold shoulder top is really cute, so it seems so ideal for stopping at a winery that has a nice setting, you know?  The maxi dress with a pretty necklace is great for dinner, without over dressed or anything.  But the jumpsuit will be awesome as well, and I haven't had a chance to wear it yet.  Plus, it's red!!!

I enjoy this process a lot.  I hope that we throw in a ride, some ice cream, etc. into the mix.  I'm really trying hard to capitalize on the time off.  It is much needed.

Anita, those sheds look nice, and we do have lots of land.  With our climate and the cost of these,  don't think I would do it.  It is pretty cool though.  

We have some ideas for a workout space.  More on that later...

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 11:53 AM, laurspag said:

One thought I had with everything going on is that it might be a good year for a driving trip to Lake Placid.  We haven't done that in a few years.  I need to see what happens with my cruise.  I hate the idea of making the final payment, then having to wait for a refund, future cruise credit, or whatever.  With a refund, they credit back the way you pay for it so if you carry any kind of balance on your credit card, you don't get that back directly to reuse.  While it would seem like no big deal, as you can just use the card for whatever, that can be complicated if you want to redirect that money to something else.  

Has anyone here paid for a cruise not using a credit card?  Debit cards have limits.  

We don't have any credit cards, but do have Visa debit cards which we use for most of our cruises.  Other than possibly raising the daily limit if it was a more expensive cruise we haven't had any issues.  It still maintains all the Visa protections though, if your debit is bank only and not through MC/Visa then you might have issues.

Our November cruise with Viking Ocean was paid as an electronic check.  They offer around 3% discount if you do that rather than Visa.  I suspect it will be canceled and hope the refund goes through well, but see no reason it should be different.

The HVAC was installed last week but there are still a few items to be finished.  It is wonderful having a 75 degree house rather than 85 or 90 😉 

Lots of clean-up still and putting things back.  We've been purging (and have almost a garage bay full for bulk pickup), but I still don't know where I want to put everything once I've cleaned really well from the old baseboards that were removed.

• Like 1