Tipping in England, Ireland and Scotland

chefestelle

What accent? :cool:

Seriously, old chap, I'm afraid your new-world accent will be awfully difficult to disguise so it'll be a pretty poor show all-round don't you know.

But keep a straight bat and do try terribly hard, because it could save you a pretty penny and that's for sure, old bean.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I say JB, that's coming it a bit thick. That fellow raking your gravel drive probably doesn't speak English at all. Not that you would ever need to talk to him.

We must do all we can to welcome ex colonials back to the old country, even if their language and attire is a little outlandish at times. After all, with the current exchange rate between Sterling and whatever it is they use over there, we may be seeing an awful lot more of them.

Now, it's tiffin time here and Mohammed is just serving up the pink gins. Pip pip old boy.

Seriously, old chap, I'm afraid your new-world accent will be awfully difficult to disguise so it'll be a pretty poor show all-round don't you know.

But keep a straight bat and do try terribly hard, because it could save you a pretty penny and that's for sure, old bean.

I say JB, that's coming it a bit thick. That fellow raking your gravel drive probably doesn't speak English at all. Not that you would ever need to talk to him.

We must do all we can to welcome ex colonials back to the old country, even if their language and attire is a little outlandish at times. After all, with the current exchange rate between Sterling and whatever it is they use over there, we may be seeing an awful lot more of them.

Now, it's tiffin time here and Mohammed is just serving up the pink gins. Pip pip old boy.

ROFL..

I guess I'll start watching reruns of Benny Hill and Downton Abbey to perfect my accent.. :D

And as far as the way we attire ourselves, I'm going to buy new dressy sweat pants just for this trip.. ;)

I need to brush up on my British before I come over in May.. I just know I'm going to get dirty looks if I ask where the bathroom or the elevators are.. :D

Many British use the word bathroom now, it has drifted over the pond:) especially the younger generation. Bar staff is a bit more politically correct as there are as many women working behind bars as men.

My first mistake in Anerica was to ask where the Post box was in Arizona!

Edited by moniquet

I meant in Canada but I didn't make that clear. We often have different expressions from Americans as well. I think kenswing is American. You'll also occasionally hear loo and wc in Canada though we have never ever called a washroom a water closet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know anybody young or old who uses the word 'bathroom' when they mean the toilet.

Well you do now and there are quite a few of us. BTW the correct upper class name is Lavatory. Toilet is a bit common. Gents would have been used by my Father who if alive would be 92! However, any will do, no one will laugh at you if you use the wrong one. :D

Well - fish and chips used to be the so called national dish. I believe that it's been overtaken by chicken korma now.

My local 'chippy' does all kinds of takeaway food, from two kinds of fish to lamb kebabs (not on a stick, but in a pitta bread with salad and a choice of sauce. via chicken, sausages and saveloys. Pickled onions and pickled eggs are fished out of huge jars. You can tell I hardly ever go there.

As for restaurants, even the most provincial town (like Southampton) has a huge choice of style, price and cuisine from just about any ethnic source.. It's normal to display a menu outside so you can see what you are in for before venturing in.The trick always is to choose a busy one.

Edited by Bob++

Bob

Apparently Chicken Tikka Masala is the most popular dish. Ironic, considering it was a made up, off the cuff dish in a curry restaurant in Glasgow involving tomato ketchup, I believe.

Nicer than deep fried pizza or Mars bars though...:rolleyes:

Edited by SteveH2508

Yes a lot use that too:)

A good universal word, and not difficult to say after a Balti and 6 pints of Tennants.

See how I am merging the thread!

Edited by wowzz

When I was in Ireland several years ago, I was astonished that baked beans appeared on every breakfast platter!

Well they are baked beans after all.

The perfect food.

When I was in Ireland several years ago, I was astonished that baked beans appeared on every breakfast platter!

Why surprised? Baked beans are an integral part of any healthy breakfast. None of this muesli nonsense for us Brits and Irish. With a good breakfast inside you, you will not need to eat again for 12 hours. That's the reason why the Americans eat dinner so early - not eating baked beans for breakfast!

Nobody's mentioned the sunday roast. :rolleyes:

Roast beef (or mebbe pork or turkey) with Yorkshires, roast 'taters, parsnips, garden veg, and lashings of thick gravy. And a little horseradish or English mustard.

Washed down with a pint of flat warm beer.

Mmmmmmmmmmm