Food on Tahitian Princess

EDANA

I have read just about all the reviews I could find and noticed that few if any go into any great detail about the food. I understand that Tahiti is all about islands, however anyone out there care to talk about their food likes and dislikes on the TP. Anyone bring back any menus? Thanks in advance.

The food was ok. Not great. Not bad either, but not up the the standard I've had on Celebrity cruises. A little worse than the Star Princess. The buffet was usually very good. Sabatini's was awesome. The pizza is some of the best i've ever had and the outdoor grill was very very good. Roomservice was so so. The problems, I think, is that the ship never goes anywhere to get fresh food, so it has to load all it's 10 days of food in Tahiti and it has to be shipped in before that. Nothing is really fresh except maybe pinaple and coconut. I'm a little picky about food so take my comments with a grain of salt. Still, I never had a BAD meal in the dining room, but I didn't have any awesome ones either.

We liked the food on Tahitian Princess, and it pretty much duplicates the same menus as any Princess ship, i.e. French Night, Italian Night, Captains Welcome Dinner, etc. We thought the seakhouse outstanding, and Sabatini's was also pretty good (was better on Grand for this one). Buffet was wonderful--a different fresh pasta each lunch--Yum!
Thanks
Norm

Norm and Maureen Reeder
NCL Sunward 1982,Eastern Carribbean, Sky Princess 1989, New England, Holland America Westerdam 1992, Panama Canal, Sun Princess 1996, Panama Canal, Rennaissance R-3 1999, Tahiti, Grand Princess, 2000 Mediterranean, Sea Princess 2001, Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess Oct 2002, Eastern and Western Carribbean, Tahitian Princess Sep, 2003, Golden Princess Southern Carribbean, May, 2004

We thought the food was ok, not great. Sabatini's was great, best meal we had on the cruise. I thought the steak house was disappointing. Service was poor as was the steak. Nothing was bad, just ok. The fresh fruit was the best I've had on a ship, but they ran out about 4 days into the cruise. It won't keep us from going back again in January!

Laurie
Zenith 02/01
Century 01/02
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05

The first night on the TP is open seating in the Club Dining room. The food was fine, but not great. On our second dinner, I ordered a puff pastry seafood entrée which was a big disappointment. It was dry and pretty tasteless. Our waiter substituted it with some fish which was only slightly better. By now I was kind of down on the dining room experience and I decided to make reservations for Sterling's Steakhouse for one of our dinners. However, from that meal on, our dinners seemed to get better and better. I got a great steak, prime rib, frog's legs, scallops, escargot and lobster on other nights. I decided that I didn't need to go to Sterlings for a good dinner and cancelled the reservations.

For breakfast, the buffet is not bad and had the usual selections of bacon or sausage, scrambled eggs, sweet rolls, cereal, etc. You can also get eggs or omelets made to order around the corner from the buffet at the grill.

A couple of times, we ate in the club dining room for breakfast. The food there seemed a little better, but of course, the eggs or French toast were made to order, and not sitting out in a serving area. The service there was prompt.

We also took our lunch on sea days at the buffet, and I can't even recall what I chose, so the food wasn't particularly memorable, good or bad.

KB9MU

I think the food got better from our first TP cruise last year, to the one this year. I found the grill to make good omelettes and burgers. The dinners were quite good, also.
I don't love the buffet, on any ship, for that matter! But, that's why I had an omelette most days.

Nita

I think most people have it right. The DR is nothing special. Same menus as every other ship. This is too bad. It would be nice of they could actually come up with something more local. Years ago, we would be offered flying fish for example, when in Barbados.
I thought the buffet at the Horizon or whatever it is called was better than usual. Pizza and so forth is always good.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

I echo the sentiments of the others - okay, and the selection diminishes as the cruise progresses. Get the cheese plate on the first two days - after that, the selection stinks. Sabitini's was tremendous - I barely remember the steakhouse - the buffet is so/so. In the dining room - don't waste your time on the shrimp cocktail - I was very disappointed both nights I ordered it.

Don't worry - there's more than enough to select from and you'll be so blown away by the sights that food is a real low priority.

Have a wonderful time!!!!!

I had read earlier reports about the food on the TP from last year so was not expecting anything out of the ordinary.

We were pleasantly surprised with the food. We ate all our evening meals in the dining room, had a couple of lunches there, and half our breakfasts. I enjoyed our breakfast down there very much. The rest of the time we had the continental breakfast in our room.

The buffet is good is if you like to eat a lot at lunchtime. I prefer to make a sandwich and I found that hard to do as I couldn't find enough ingredients to make the sort of sandwiches I prefer. They had some lovely little cakes early on in the cruise but I didn't seem them towards the end.

The hamburger bar is really good and we enjoyed that couple of times.

I don't go on a cruise to eat. My priorities are seeing the beautiful islands, enjoying the ship as a whole and having a comfortable bed at night. We have great food here in Oz land and can eat out here anytime we want.

Compared to eating on shore, the ship has wonderful food. We ate out three times pre and post cruise and for what we received, it was very, very expensive and not up to the standard that we expect here at home.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

I agree, the reason to go on this cruise is the location. We are I guess you would call food snobs, but on this cruise it does take a back seat. Food was #1 on our Celebrity cruises, but nothing compares to FP for location(and snorkeling!).

Laurie
Zenith 02/01
Century 01/02
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05

Many thanks for all the food reviews on the TP. My daughter is so picky about her food and I was just trying to get some ideas ahead of time. While on a cruise in Hawaii I asked her what she would like to do in Lahina, she asked for Pizza Hut....what can I tell ya.

Archived