Sunshine (revisited) 02/13/16 Exotic Carib review

jimbo5544

Loving all the pictures and info and the grandkids are adorable!!

Thank you very much, we have 13 grandchildren but on this trip only 2 were with us. Hope to finish up the review this weekend. I think you will really enjoy the Sunshine.

Edited by jimbo5544

Love Carson and Leah....love your pictures and everyone's comments. The live post for Maho was a thrill a few minutes ago.

(Dad made it back up and out the Canyon..last night...he did the 2 day ride and is safe and had a blast...whew...he did the Phantom Lodge one)

This review is great with an honest view of what to expect..so glad your family got better digs and you could all share around and pace it perfectly...

Glad you told them at the bar counter...this half hr plus was what I had a lot of on Spirit Easter 2012...I will go for assigned seating and plan differently and well if it is Carnival next time...

Great sunset pics and just love San Juan pics..what a place...hope they get this latest mosquito virus tackled soon...for the mothers and babies..

Again thanks for such a great overview.

Wow, thank you very much Sarah. Happy your dad made it back up, have to say that I am not sure I could have done it (down and back up). I can say, that you could tell the people who spent two days straddling those thick donkeys walking around after they got back.

We stayed in San Juan before a Victory cruise, and fell in love with Old San Juan. We spent a day and a half enjoying the city and LOVED it. That virus is something to worry about, hope they get that cleaned up soon.

Thanks again for the kind words....:D

.... and now it is time for my second complaint (there are some here who would not believe I could have any with Carnival;)). Breaking our normal routine, instead of going to the Red Frog for a cocktail before dinner, we went down to the Atrium Bar. To be honest, it was fairly crowded, but I asked who wanted what and meandered up to the bar where I waited to order. I did notice there was only one bartender and one server. I ended up waiting almost 15 minutes (I did have eye contact with her twice) before I said screw it and we skipped the drink in went into the MDR (where I promptly ordered a double from the MDR bar waitress (guess I showed them....:confused:).

I made it a point to voice my displeasure with this resource allocation with both my survey and an email to a senior mgt chap I know who said he would vet it up the line.

Jimbo I totally agree !!! We were shocked! We had the same experience at the atrium bar. We waited and waited and ended up leaving the bar drinkless ! Something I have never experienced on a Carnival cruise. I'm glad you complained, I should have as well.

Jimbo I totally agree !!! We were shocked! We had the same experience at the atrium bar. We waited and waited and ended up leaving the bar drinkless ! Something I have never experienced on a Carnival cruise. I'm glad you complained, I should have as well.

Hopefully they heard me, we will see

.... and now it is time for my second complaint (there are some here who would not believe I could have any with Carnival;)). Breaking our normal routine, instead of going to the Red Frog for a cocktail before dinner, we went down to the Atrium Bar. To be honest, it was fairly crowded, but I asked who wanted what and meandered up to the bar where I waited to order. I did notice there was only one bartender and one server. I ended up waiting almost 15 minutes (I did have eye contact with her twice) before I said screw it and we skipped the drink in went into the MDR (where I promptly ordered a double from the MDR bar waitress (guess I showed them....:confused:).

I made it a point to voice my displeasure with this resource allocation with both my survey and an email to a senior mgt chap I know who said he would vet it up the line.

I had the same problem on Splendor. (Feb. 14 sailing) I had the bottomless bubbles plan, and the wait to get a soda was crazy at times with all the people gathered around the bar to get alcohol- especially right before dinner. In my survey I mentioned that maybe they should get a coke free-style machine (they had that on RCCL) and chip cups, so people who "just" want soda don't have to wait so long at the bar!!

I had the same problem on Splendor. (Feb. 14 sailing) I had the bottomless bubbles plan, and the wait to get a soda was crazy at times with all the people gathered around the bar to get alcohol- especially right before dinner. In my survey I mentioned that maybe they should get a coke free-style machine (they had that on RCCL) and chip cups, so people who "just" want soda don't have to wait so long at the bar!!

While we have had times where we have had to wait in the past (especially at that time), it was never even close to what we experienced on this cruise. It was not that the staff was inexperienced, it was pearly that there was not enough of them. I made this clear on the survey as well as two management people we know (one of them a pretty high level one).

While we have had times where we have had to wait in the past (especially at that time), it was never even close to what we experienced on this cruise. It was not that the staff was inexperienced, it was pearly that there was not enough of them. I made this clear on the survey as well as two management people we know (one of them a pretty high level one).

Since NCL put in their unlimited alcohol plan, their bars have been crazy also. So it is not just with Carnival.

Since NCL put in their unlimited alcohol plan, their bars have been crazy also. So it is not just with Carnival.

That might be part of it, but one bartender at their main bar tonight outside the forward dining room right before dinner is just not right.

Edited by jimbo5544

Wow, thank you very much Sarah. Happy your dad made it back up, have to say that I am not sure I could have done it (down and back up). I can say, that you could tell the people who spent two days straddling those thick donkeys walking around after they got back.

We stayed in San Juan before a Victory cruise, and fell in love with Old San Juan. We spent a day and a half enjoying the city and LOVED it. That virus is something to worry about, hope they get that cleaned up soon.

Thanks again for the kind words....:D

Thanks again for yours too..I really want to do that. My trip there was in and out same day and did fort..after reading all here that will be something to really look forward to.

Thanks for that about dad..almost 82 going on 60 in some ways...he is just a cowboy and very very very happy now...so I am happy..but glad it is over...now a minor surgery and we will be through. His sciatica never hurt then..??!! Watched a show on it with him last night and frankly I am in shock. I am not dad lol..give me my continued weight loss and a walk and a fancy view lodge..LOL...not that trail walking or riding..YIKES...bur Dad and Dudly the mule did fine..and he is a geologist too...so everything he saw was absolutely fab for him...lots of time to talk about it too with the riders..he got his ego stroked..Ok sorry so off topic...except for love of travel and family..LOL..big stretch.

Looking forward to rest of your cruise...you have as many with the grands as dad will soon have with the grands and greats...again loving review...and think they are really working on mosquito born things..worried about mentioning that.:o No need to respond here.. I just had to...thanks and great to finish this story abt you and yours.

Edited by sjn911

A little of a segway, but it is about our cruise. When we went back to the cabin I tried to plug in one of the PC's to charge with the standard plug located near the desk. I have a cheap 4 way plug I use to get multiple things going (not overload, but we bring a small alarm clock we like to keep plugged in. I went to plug this into the plug, heard a buzz and then a pop and then the plug was not working.... uh oh.

With the new flat panels they have installed, it is easy to get behind the tv and use the second plug there, which I did.

You can see the 4 way (it's white) and where I got the power from

Edited by jimbo5544

In the morning I saw Moises in the hallway, mentioned the problem we had with the plug and he said he would put in a call. We went off to the gym and then breakfast and then I thought I might be on the bad list for using this scenario.... so I headed back down to the room to remove the "evidence". Just after i walked in there was a knock on the door and an electrical tech guy comes in. He did not say anything about using the plug behind the TV and tested the regular plug, saw it had no power and pulled it off the wall, tighten a connection put it back in and all was well.

Later that day, we received a letter in the room from guest services, apologizing for the issue and asking if we were satisfied. Nice touch.

Funny you say that- this is the one cruise we did have the magician visit our table. We did anytime dining every night, but only saw him the one time.

Enjoying your review! I was hesitant going on the Sunshine, but I really enjoyed it. There were some things I didn't like ( crowds in the pool and Serenity areas and the so-so live bands) but it wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again.

We saw him in the MDR multiple times but only came to out table when we didn't have the kids with us. Our kids saw him in Camp C. but they were interested in seeing more tricks. Our serevers we had one night tried to fill the void with a few tricks.:)

We saw him in the MDR multiple times but only came to out table when we didn't have the kids with us. Our kids saw him in Camp C. but they were interested in seeing more tricks. Our serevers we had one night tried to fill the void with a few tricks.:)

It is entirely possible we just missed him.

If it's Friday, it must be Grand Turk..... or can you say windy makes for an interesting day.

Friday broke sunny but windy and we had the morning to relax before coming into Grand Turk. We had a a leisurely breakfast before spending some time at the pool. Mid morning Donkey came over the intercom to say that due to the winds, the captain was attempting to get to the pier in Grand Turk. We were to be one of two ship in Grand Turk and we could see the other ship behind as as we approached (ever so slowly and from several different directions. The winds were coming across the island and would push us to the pier (away from the island).

Edited by jimbo5544