Antarctica from NZ/Australia or South Africa

Antonintassie

Orion was doing it, visiting mainly the Australian territory in Antarctica, may be no longer. I think they have been taken over by National Geographic???

Main downside for us was 72 hours of potentially rough ocean crossing each way from Hobart, rather than 24 hours each way across the Drake passage from Ushuaia to the Antarctic peninsula.

When we travelled in 2012, QANTAS ran a direct flight Sydney-Buenos Aires which made it very easy for us.

Cruises with landings in Antarctica are very expensive. The cruise by no landing voyages by the large passenger ships like Celebrity Infinity are much cheaper. I'm glad we had the landings.

Heritage operate out of Bluff NZ on Spirit of Enderby and they have also used the Akademik Shokalskiy every now and then.

Oceanwide do two trips to and from NZ each season - one from Ushuaia to NZ then one from NZ to Ushuaia - so it means only one big flight. I have done their NZ to USH one this time last year.

Chimu charter the Akademik Shokalskiy out of Hobart ocassionally - they have just successfully reached Mawsons Hut this season.

Now that the ice has moved out of the way in Commonwealth Bay a few more operators might return to their old Tas to Bluff itinerarys including Mawsons Hut and the Ross Sea. Most had stopped over the past 4 years due to a rather sizable chunk of ice in the way.

Capetown - only scientific vessels leave from there and the rather pricey ANI flights to the South Pole camp.

Yes Orion is now partnered with Lindblad Nat Geo and only has peninsular itineraries planned for now.

Flights from Aus to Sth America are pretty much limited now to the Qantas/Lan code share from Sydney > Auckland > Santiago. Then LAN to BA down to USH - have done this stretch several times now.

I think I saw AirNZ is doing direct to BA recently but dont quote me as I havent checked their site.

Main downside for us was 72 hours of potentially rough ocean crossing each way from Hobart, rather than 24 hours each way across the Drake passage from Ushuaia to the Antarctic peninsula.

I dont see it as a downside - I love the power of the Southern Ocean and all it has to offer. Awesome trips I have had down there.