Need medical release doc for traveling with 18 yr old?

Cygnet61

We will soon be sailing with my son and several of his friends, who are age 18. While I understand the need for a parental release form for a minor, I am still wondering about the need for some kind of legal form giving us permission to act in case one of the friends needs medical attention in a port or onboard during the cruise.

It seems like even if the friend is 18, shouldn't we have something saying we have his parents' permission to make decisions in case of a medical emergency? I hate to think of this kind of scenario, but I'm trying to be realistic.

Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what did you do?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When our daughter brought a friend on a cruise, we did the legal release form, notarized just like the cruise line asks. No one ever asked to see it. However, if I had it to do again, I'd do the same thing. You never know what is going to happen, and it's better to have it and not need it, than the alternative.

It might not be required, but I would feel happier having their medical insurance information. They are young - might be on their parents' insurance. Make sure they have coverage, either on their home-based insurance or specific trip insurance. In an emergency you don't want to be worrying about who is going to pay, or how to handle.

Since they are legally adults, it might be best to have a statement from the 18 year olds themselves, authorising you to approve treatment if they are incapacitated/unconscious.

This is a good answer, but they are adults, you could just not worry about them. I'd be inclined to let the health care professionals use their best judgment, getting notarized limited power of attorney for health care decisions would be a bother. Has your son signed such a document for you?

I'd be more concerned about any expenses or damage claims that might be made against me, if I booked the cabins for the teens.

Get something signed and notarized by the 18 y.o. authorizing you to authorize treatment in case something happens and he might not be able to make decisions for himself, especially since his next-of-kin will not be nearby. It might be legally unnecessary, but it might also be a good idea to have a similar letter from his parents, just in case.

Why take the risk?

It is so easy to write up a fast release and get it signed, notarized if necessary.

Better safe than sorry and be sure to bring his insurance card in case you need to seek treatment for him.

I believe you need these things:

Cruise insurance policy information copy

Payment information in case of emergency - such as the 18 year old needs to go to a hospital or he/she needs to fly home from one of the ports on the cruise for medical treatment in the US. I think you should talk to the 18 year old and his/her parents beforehand and ask how they want that handled in the unlikely event something happens and the 18 year old cannot continue on the cruise. For example, if a bone is broken, should you or your husband fly home with him/her? If so, will the parents reimburse you for your travel expense? What about parts of the cruise you miss due to this?

Access to the 18 year old's passport

All emergency contact information for the 18 year old's family

cellphone numbers

home phone numbers

hospital of choice back home

family doctor name and phone number

Probably, just going to the trouble of gathering up all this information will ensure that you will never need it. But if you do, then you will have it.

We will soon be sailing with my son and several of his friends, who are age 18. While I understand the need for a parental release form for a minor, I am still wondering about the need for some kind of legal form giving us permission to act in case one of the friends needs medical attention in a port or onboard during the cruise.

It seems like even if the friend is 18, shouldn't we have something saying we have his parents' permission to make decisions in case of a medical emergency? I hate to think of this kind of scenario, but I'm trying to be realistic.

Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what did you do?

Why? Even the parents don't have the right to make any medical decisions for their adult child. No form is needed, nor is it required, and it is worth less than the piece of paper that it is written on.

Why? Even the parents don't have the right to make any medical decisions for their adult child. No form is needed, nor is it required, and it is worth less than the piece of paper that it is written on.

Seeing we don't know the ports or the laws in all the ports, why do we assume all the countries the ship will visit have the same laws as we do as to age of majority?

True, and I don't know of any country I've ever been to that did not consider an 18 year old an "adult" and capable of making their own medical decisions.

I would sure make sure this 18 year old had their own travel insurance policy before I would consider taking them.

Seeing we don't know the ports or the laws in all the ports, why do we assume all the countries the ship will visit have the same laws as we do as to age of majority?

Because the US is some of the most restrictive in the world.

That does not indicate each port and their law/policy.

All it takes is one port that has different law and that is the port where the young man has the accident or becomes ill.

Why take a risk? What is the point of not taking five minutes for parents/guardian to be sure their son/charge is protected?

A parental release or authorization for an 18 year old is null and void (in nearly all cases) on its very face. As has been said, and 18 year old is legally an adult and is actually the only person with full authority over themselves. Even if an adult becomes incapacitated and unable to make a decision, a simple release is often not recognized by many medical authorities.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

To the OP

What is your back up plan if some one in your group requires medical evacuation back home?

I highly recommend that you make sure everyone is covered with a Medical Evacuation Insurance policy.

You do not want to be in the Position where someone is asking you for your credit card to get a sick or injured person back home.

Bob

A parental release or authorization for an 18 year old is null and void (in nearly all cases) on its very face. As has been said, and 18 year old is legally an adult and is actually the only person with full authority over themselves. Even if an adult becomes incapacitated and unable to make a decision, a simple release is often not recognized by many medical authorities.

Hank

That is the law in all countries around the world and 18 is the age of majority for all nations?