Great Tour in Cartagena

lewiej

We cruised on the Equinox sailing Feb 1 with a stop in Cartagena. Thanks to some suggestions on Cruise Critic we contacted Marelvy Peña (marelvy@gmail.com) in Cartagena and arranged a tour. She met us at the ship and gave us a fabulous tour of the city, half walking and the other half in a small 12 passenger van. She knows everything about the city, it's history, the history of the Caribbean and the countries that battled for dominion there. The cost was $135.00 per couple and well worth it.

I promised her that I would give her tour a good recommendation and so here it is. I guarantee you won't be disappointed if your take her tour.

Lew

We cruised on the Equinox sailing Feb 1 with a stop in Cartagena. Thanks to some suggestions on Cruise Critic we contacted Marelvy Peña (marelvy@gmail.com) in Cartagena and arranged a tour. She met us at the ship and gave us a fabulous tour of the city, half walking and the other half in a small 12 passenger van. She knows everything about the city, it's history, the history of the Caribbean and the countries that battled for dominion there. The cost was $135.00 per couple and well worth it.

I promised her that I would give her tour a good recommendation and so here it is. I guarantee you won't be disappointed if your take her tour.

Lew

Thanks! I'm booked with Marelvy for my cruise in 2 weeks. She has been wonderful to work with, and there are several groups from my roll call taking an extended tour. We also made arrangements with her for Sunday night. Of all our ports, I'm most excited about Cartagena, and it's because of the great things I've read about Marelvy.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Lew. I found her website but I still have a few questions if you don't mind.

How many people on your tour? (Does she have a minimum?)

Which tour did you take? (She has several listed on her website)

How long was the tour?

Thanks,

TessM

can now report that our tours with Marelvy were some of the best we've taken ANYWHERE! I'll put a full report and pictures up in a few days, but both our evening tour and our extended day tour were outstanding. Marelvy is professional and engaging, and the people in other groups for the day tour (we had more than 50 people from our roll call signed up!:eek:) were extremely complimentary of their guides too.

• 3 weeks later...

We have an overnight in April and were wondering if MareIvy does a full day/evening tour that would include either dinner at a local restaurant or other evening activity...Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

We have an overnight in April and were wondering if MareIvy does a full day/evening tour that would include either dinner at a local restaurant or other evening activity...Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Lynn, we did an evening tour (about 3.5 hours) on Sunday that included a performance by local dancers and a light meal (arepas) at a small restaurant. Our tour on Monday was quite a bit longer, and we had lunch at a fabulous restaurant Marelvy recommended. The meal was extra, but the cost was only $8/person...the portions were huge and the food was great.

I've had a lot going on, so my review is a bit delayed. I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow, and in a few days I should have lots of Cartagena pictures to share. If you e-mail Marelvy, ask her to share what the Cindy/Cruise Critic groups did on March 20 and 21.

Edited by Cindy

Thanks so much, Cindy! I'll do that! It's still a year away, but I'd like to get an idea of our possibilities. (I'm following your review and am really looking forward to the rest...thanks for writing it!)