Zika Virus

Gaffington12

Am I being silly to worry about traveling to a place that the Zika virus is in? We're a young couple that don't have kids yet, but maybe one day. Has anyone gone to Jamaica and had no issue with the bugs? I want to travel but i'm worried. Should i just suck up my fears and go prepared? :(

Just wondering.

If I were currently pregnant or actively trying to become pregnant I would be concerned (though the latest articles I read cast doubt on the whole zika and birth defects connection and suggest a different very possible sounding explanation...) I am going to Belize/Honduras/Mexico in a couple of weeks. I plan to try to get pregnant a few months after I return. I will wear bug spray but am not concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness, what would possess you to say such a thing? Ugh. Do you think you're being funny? Zika is not a laughing matter. Please be more considerate and think before you post.

Totally agree. But, unfortunately, I think it is wishful thinking on your part.:o

Am I being silly to worry about traveling to a place that the Zika virus is in? We're a young couple that don't have kids yet, but maybe one day. Has anyone gone to Jamaica and had no issue with the bugs? I want to travel but i'm worried. Should i just suck up my fears and go prepared? :(

Just wondering.

I just wanted to add to my earlier posts that you are not being silly. If I was in your situation I would have concerns/worries and in addition to reading all I could I would have discussion with our physician.

As I said I would error on the conservative side.

Good luck with all of this.

Just remember none of us are doctors and even if we were you are best to consult with someone who you know.

Keith

Just wondering.

I'd be more worried about the fact that you'd listen to folks on CC rather than the CDC..

We have a cruise booked for November. Ports include Puerto Rico, St Maarten, Haiti... we are trying to get pregnant. However, we have been TTC for three years now and I consider it quite unlikely that I will suddenly end up pregnant :rolleyes: If I am pregnant by then, we will cancel the cruise. I have bought travel insurance that includes pregnancy as a reason for cancellation.

The way Zika is spreading through the Americas (and Africa, and Asia)... I really doubt we will be "safe" anywhere. No, I won't take the risk if I am pregnant by then but I am not willing to stop traveling to warm weather destinations just because I might eventually manage to get pregnant.

Zika has been around for 40 years in other places, and one geographic area of Brazil is the only place they have seen the birth defects. The onset of those coincided with a change in the pesticides used in the water in that area. There is a very good chance that is what caused the birth defects. I would still not go if I were actually pregnant out of an abundance of caution, but I wouldn't worry otherwise.

Zika has been around for 40 years in other places, and one geographic area of Brazil is the only place they have seen the birth defects. The onset of those coincided with a change in the pesticides used in the water in that area. There is a very good chance that is what caused the birth defects. I would still not go if I were actually pregnant out of an abundance of caution, but I wouldn't worry otherwise.

Good post. :D

No, these defects were also seen in French Polynesia. New study released yesterday:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/health/zika-virus-and-birth-defects/index.html

And, also now in Columbia:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/04/colombia-researchers-discover-zika-virus-link-birth-defects

You know you can simply block tiresome posters.

Edited by 6rugrats

Just wondering.

I know how you feel! My husband and I had decided to start trying to get pregnant the very same week it was announced that Zika had confirmed transmission in 2 of the 6 places we would be visiting on our cruise... followed by the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th place – YIPEE! I agree with everyone else - you should definitely talk with your doctor for some peace of mind if you are this concerned.

I am NOT a doctor myself, but I will share with you what I have learned from my own research which I discussed in great detail with my mother (who is a doctor) as well as my personal physician. Unfortunately, until science is able to come up with some answers, even doctors are mostly limited to the info being published on the CDC site. They said that the real concern is for pregnant women or women who want to become pregnant immediately after possible exposure. You should not be concerned that the Zika virus will affect any pregnancies in the distant future with one exception…. the virus can live longer in semen than in the blood. The virus actually clears the blood very rapidly - in as little as a week after infection, in fact. But they do not have a definitive answer as to how long it can live in semen, which is immune-privileged to protect reproductive capability. One medical journal noted that a man who had contracted the virus tested negative on blood tests very quickly after the onset of symptoms, but after 62 days, his semen STILL tested positive. Now, this is not to say that 62 day is the determined cut off – no further testing was published after that point – so it is still an unknown!

A previous (inaccurate) report posted online suggested men returning from any infected region use condoms for only 1 month after exposure. My doctor suggested we play it safe and use condoms until there is a definitive answer published by the CDC.

To be honest, both doctors said I should be more concerned with contracting Dengue than Zika since I am not pregnant. To better protect yourself, wear long pants and long sleeves when possible, apply any sunscreen, and then douse yourself in the highest percentage DEET you can get your hands on making certain to reapply per the instructions. I really hope this gives you some good info but I will reiterate that you should speak with your doctor!

Oh my goodness, what would possess you to say such a thing? Ugh. Do you think you're being funny? Zika is not a laughing matter. Please be more considerate and think before you post.

I couldn't agree more, but it is asking a lot of this particular poster. One can always hope, however!;)