Bioluminescence Bay Moonlight Tour

wendy123

Hello!

I am looking for input from those who have done or know someone who has done the Bioluminescence Bay Moonlight Tour. It will not be a full moon on the evening that we are traveling and I wanted to know if this is still a good choice. If not can you please offer suggestions for a couple in their late 20’s? Thank you so much!

PS . We will be arriving at 5pm and leaving at 12am:)

Another thing to keep in mind for anyone who has to leave by midnight, is that this tour is about an hour drive from Old San Juan....(or at least the the onein Fajardo is)

As for the moon effect, you want there to be NO light in the sky to get the full bioluminescence 'experience.' THe moon sheds way too much light on the water and makes them appear much more subdued.

did this tour last year through the hotel we were staying at. there was not a full moon, but enough light to ruin the effect. the only way to get the effect was to jump into the water and duck under the boat so it was dark. not everyone wanted to do this, although my daughter and i did. so, unless you know by the stage of the moon that there will be little or no light, i would not do this tour. it is a long way to go to be disappointed. also, we found that no one will actually come out and say that the effect will not be present because of the ligfht until you are all the way to the bay.

• 4 weeks later...

This tour was amazing!

There was no moon that night which made this shore excursion perfect. It was a fantastic experience. The water really looks like it is glowing and when you put in your hands it looks like fireflies.

I would recommend wearing something that is ok to get wet. We got quite wet from the paddling the kayaks. This is a labor-intensive excursion but well worth it. :o

Archived