Some Observations From Recent Flight Between USA and London Heathrow

Keith1010

Just some observations.

Flew to/from London this past week. Did likewise last September. It felt as though security at the airport was at a lower level then what we saw in September. When we cleared passport control after arriving to LHR, very quick with one question about our stay in contrast to more scrutiny on our prior visits including last September.

Going through Security at the airport at LHR after we checked in for the flight yesterday reminded me of TSA of a few years ago. My wife noticed that the two people screening the bags were having a good old conversation and didn't seem to be looking at our luggage as it went through the x ray machine.

I was just surprised by all of this. It is just the total opposite of time we were there after they had reason to believe that terrorists were targeting planes bound for the USA. Not saying it needs to be on high alert all the time but thought things were just to relaxed this time around.

On entry to the USA this is the first time we used Global Entry. We had used it for its other benefits such as TSA pre and also at Entry at Port Everglades but first time since getting it last Fall that we used it for arrival to the USA on an inbound international flight.

Process was terrific and very easy. I had been concerned because my passport magnetic strip information is very close to the bottom of the page in the passport and when they ran it through the machine at our Global Entry interview it took the person several attempts for it to be read and for my wife at the interview they had trouble getting her finger prints. But both were non-issues yesterday. All in all a very fast process.

Keith

Just some observations.

Flew to/from London this past week. Did likewise last September. It felt as though security at the airport was at a lower level then what we saw in September. When we cleared passport control after arriving to LHR, very quick with one question about our stay in contrast to more scrutiny on our prior visits including last September.

Going through Security at the airport at LHR after we checked in for the flight yesterday reminded me of TSA of a few years ago. My wife noticed that the two people screening the bags were having a good old conversation and didn't seem to be looking at our luggage as it went through the x ray machine.

I was just surprised by all of this. It is just the total opposite of time we were there after they had reason to believe that terrorists were targeting planes bound for the USA. Not saying it needs to be on high alert all the time but thought things were just to relaxed this time around.

On entry to the USA this is the first time we used Global Entry. We had used it for its other benefits such as TSA pre and also at Entry at Port Everglades but first time since getting it last Fall that we used it for arrival to the USA on an inbound international flight.

Process was terrific and very easy. I had been concerned because my passport magnetic strip information is very close to the bottom of the page in the passport and when they ran it through the machine at our Global Entry interview it took the person several attempts for it to be read and for my wife at the interview they had trouble getting her finger prints. But both were non-issues yesterday. All in all a very fast process.

Keith

I'm glad that GE worked out for you. I love when that happens! Not great news about the security, though.