Donating your books to the ship's library

greykangaroo

I was surprised to read that the ship's library is considered by some as a 'book exchange'. My husband donates hard cover books to the library on every cruise and would never think of exchanging on the last day. After all, a donation is just that.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

I was surprised to read that the ship's library is considered by some as a 'book exchange'. My husband donates hard cover books to the library on every cruise and would never think of exchanging on the last day. After all, a donation is just that.

I agree.

Happy to leave books (in good condition) but don't pinch them.

I agree.

Happy to leave books (in good condition) but don't pinch them.

That is where I started with all this. Some inference seems to be made that my choice of leaving my books on the ship and having them stamped and microchipped to become part of the library appears selfish.

It is exactly the opposite, as I want to see many future passengers get to read them on board and not just one person taking it home and casting it aside when finished.

Secondly, I would get a small thrill from knowing that I presented the ship with my books.

At the end of the day, I paid for the book and I don't think it is asking too much of the shipping line to respect that by accepting my gift.

Guest services should be instructed accordingly. If they deem that the book isn't good enough to be added to the library we would be gone from the ship by then.

Now to search the shelves for the best book on sea birds to take back to my balcony cabin for the duration of the voyage.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We have cruised on 3 different Princess ships this year. The official library collections were almost non-existent. Non-fiction and biographical were none. I used to brag that I did not have to take books along as Princess library had a good selection. No Longer. Seems they are relying on passengers to exchange or donate for their collection as encouraged by the Patter instructions. I realize this service provision does cost but don't we pay for these services?

I also bring magazines. I black out the name and address and put them in the library. It's usually classic car or automotive magazines and I see them being enjoyed by others on deck. Sometimes I'll see them back in the library again. If they get thrown away after the cruise, so be it. At least they were enjoyed by someone else,

Although I have a nook ereader, I love to check what is on those shelves. I have read a bunch of books that way. I often bring books I wanted to read and leave them for others to enjoy.

Bernadette

On one Princess cruise that we were on, Noro virus was prevalent. I was told that donated books were destroyed to help curtail "sharing" of the virus.

I don't know if all ships in the fleet do this, but I guess it is something that I hadn't thought considered.

It makes no sense to destroy donated booked due to potential noro but to allow the books purchased by the ship to remain on the shelves. Yes, the virus can live for days to weeks on hard surfaces, but the hardback books carry the same risk as a donated book.

On a cruise on another line without a library, we organized a book swap (on line in advance of the cruise). It basically operated as a "drop off anything you are finished with, take anything that interests you." That's essentially how I viewed the guest donation shelf on Princess. I dropped off 3 books and took one to read on the way home. Sorry if that wasn't the supposed idea.

I always donate my books on Oenology and Zymurgy to every ship's library.

I'll keep my eyes open for the Oenology books, but I'm not into Zymurgy. (home kit winemaker, but not homebrewer).

You bet I'll take a book from the passenger exchange/free-to-a-good-home shelf if I haven't finished it by the end of the cruise. I'm also delighted to see any of the books I donate disappear from the shelves, knowing thAt someone else will enjoy them. Realistically, if people didn't take books when they left, Princess would soon need to dedicate extra rooms on the ships to house all those passenger-discards. :)

Edited by LoriPhil

When we take books on a cruise, we tend to donate them to the library - no point in taking them back home unless we already know someone who wants them. Carnival ships also have a dedicated area for donating your books or looking for something else to read. If we take a book from that area & don't finish it, it goes home with us.

I often donate books I have finished reading to the ship's book exchange. I do not expect these books to become part of the ship's library. I hope other passengers will enjoy them and take them home if they so choose.

I'd love to see any cruise line tag a nice hardbound book and make it part of their permanent library.

The way some people treat their books, paperbacks aren't going to last long and probably aren't with the line's effort.

Like an above poster, I usually purchase several items from our library's used book sale with the full intent of reading and then leaving them. But again, these are paperbacks (usually) that I suspect someone will take and enjoy.

Sadly, I have a difficult time reading pre-owned books out of fear that someone has read it while using the toilet.

It's not you, it's me.

But I love the idea of a shipboard book exchange!

With the popularity of iPads, Kindles, etc...actual books are getting harder to find in the library. I just like to have an actual book on a cruise and not have to carry my device around, so I always buy a few paperbacks at home (library or yard sales), read and exchange them on board. So over the years I have left many and taken a few....but seems to work out well for many.

Sadly, I have a difficult time reading pre-owned books out of fear that someone has read it while using the toilet.

It's not you, it's me.

But I love the idea of a shipboard book exchange!

Lol, I never thought about that! Your comment made me think of an old sit com episode - Seinfeld I think.

• 3 years later...

I've been wanting to sail on the Oasis of the Seas since I saw her in port six years ago. After booking my cruise for December 2019, I saw a news article about the ship being Amplified.  So, obviously now I want to donate a copy of my book "Amplified" to the library during my sailing. The book may not last on the shelves but I'll get a picture of it on the shelf anyway. And whoever ends up with the copy, I hope they enjoy it.

On 3/12/2016 at 11:00 AM, greykangaroo said:

That is where I started with all this. Some inference seems to be made that my choice of leaving my books on the ship and having them stamped and microchipped to become part of the library appears selfish.

At the end of the day, I paid for the book and I don't think it is asking too much of the shipping line to respect that by accepting my gift.

Guest services should be instructed accordingly. If they deem that the book isn't good enough to be added to the library we would be gone from the ship by then.

Personally I think you are trying to make this all too formal. I think the staff have better things to do than manage this process and stamp books etc.

Like you, I always leave books in the library at the end of the cruise, mainly because I rarely read a book twice and I don't want to cart it home. Frankly I don't care what happens to the book once I have left it there. Recently on the Royal I went and had a look if if either of the books I left in the library 18 months ago were still there, they weren't. It was more out of curiosity but I didn't care.

I think it's great that you are community minded and play a positive part in leaving books.

On 6/1/2016 at 8:21 AM, emmak8 said:

I often donate books I have finished reading to the ship's book exchange. I do not expect these books to become part of the ship's library. I hope other passengers will enjoy them and take them home if they so choose.

Totally agree .....I read a lot and take several books on the cruise...when finished I put them in the ship's  library and if I find something to get me through the flight home, I will take it....it should not be a big deal.

4 minutes ago, eclue said:

Totally agree .....I read a lot and take several books on the cruise...when finished I put them in the ship's  library and if I find something to get me through the flight home, I will take it....it should not be a big deal.

I believe this is common practice. :classic_wink:

Leave one, take one. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1