Donating your books to the ship's library

greykangaroo

On 5/31/2016 at 7:31 PM, dmdiver said:

When we take books on a cruise, we tend to donate them to the library - no point in taking them back home unless we already know someone who wants them. Carnival ships also have a dedicated area for donating your books or looking for something else to read. If we take a book from that area & don't finish it, it goes home with us.

Sounds very much like the Princess Book Exchange. That's what I do.

2 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Yes, for the "donated" shelf. Never for a "Property of Princess Cruises" stamped book.

But it might explain why there are such few Princess books on the shelves lately. 

They must lose dozens of books every year but at least if people would leave one in return the system could work.

Many cruise ships lock  up the library and only open it for a very few hours a day... and then it is staffed.

Really annoying! When I stroll by and see a book someone has donated, I take it to my room. Sometimes I read it on board, sometime take it with me. But, I always leave more books than I take. 

Buy used books at my library for this purpose.

Some restraunts and hotels have a shelf for used books as well - good on them. It makes the place seem more neighbourhood friendly. 

I often travel for several weeks at a time and could not lug enough reading material with me, or I would not have room in my suitcase for anything else.

Not an E reader fan - somehow prefer a real book.

I am happy to see a book I left is missing - yeah someone else is enjoying it! On to the next cruise and read!

I usually bring along two copies of my first published novel and donate them to the ships library. I wish they would remain onboard to allow passengers to read them on subsequent voyages but I’ve never found one onboard after a day or two has passed or when returning to the ship for another voyage. Maybe some end up on other ships at some point but I’ll likely never know. 

Chris

I haven't seen too many ships libraries that had a fantastic array of books.  The ones I have seen I highly doubt they "are destroyed or perlioned by office staff "   It doesn't seem that there is much effort put into the library by most ships I've been on.  Except the Allure.  I enjoyed their library.