Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

1. We had the same itinerary as you--arrive at airport, 2 days in Copenhagen, cruise, depart from cruise ship. If you want a budget hotel choice, look at the Wakeup Borgergade (where we stayed) or the Bethel Hotel in the Kongens Nytorv area. From the airport, you just take the train to Kongens Nytorv and walk to your hotel. From your hotel to the airport, you take the 26 bus (which stops in several places around Kongens Nytorv) to Osterport and then take the 27 bus to Oceankaj. From the cruise port to the airport, you can take the special 25 cruise day bus to Norreport and the train to the airport. Of course, taxis are always an option, but using public transportation is cheap and easy, provided you don't have a ton of luggage.

2. On debarkation day, we did self-debarkation and public transporation to get to the airport. We were off the ship around 8am and the bus left between 8:30 and 8:45 am. We were at the airport and through customs and immigration by 10:30 am. We sat around over an hour until our flight boarded. So, you should be able to make a 11:50 am flight if you do self-debarkation.

3. As far as things to see and do in Copenhagen, I highly recommend Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports (for all the ports you visit on a Baltic cruise) or Rick Steves' Scandanavia. Both books can be ordered from Amazon if your local bookstores don't carry them. Not only does he describe the various things to see and do in Copenhagen, he rates them as far as what's most worth seeing and what's less worth seeing. There are also self-guided walking tours for various parts of the city and for the museums and castles.

UTGrad, I know you meant to the port, rather than to the airport, in your directions in #1, but can you post a correction so that someone doesn't get confused.

The Hilton hotel at the airport will from april be part of the choice hotel chain instead.

They will also build a 500 room budget hotel in the Comfort Hotel brand next door but it will first open in 2020.

Hilton will look for a property in central Copenhagen but I don't know if its a existing hotel/building or a new build.

That's what I was afraid of. We don't want to stay there if it's being renovated. And was hoping to earn Hilton points there. I think I will cancel and move to the AC Bella Sky (Marriott) that is close to the airport. Thank you so much for this information! I never would have known until Hilton updates their website, whenever that might be. Thanks to you, I knew way in advance :-)

Stroget is the main shopping drag. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc... Personally, I'd head over to the Copenhagen pages on TripAdvisor and check out the hotel reviews or wait for input from here. Basically Copenhagen is incredibly compact, easily walkable and when it isn't, has a fantastic integrated public transport system (trains / metro and water bus especially are a breeze).

In four days you could visit the Botanical Gardens, climb to the top of the round tower or the church of our saviour (or both), visit several castles (all within Copenhagen itself - spoiler alert - some of them are a bit museumy but Denmark does have a lot of history!) and see the Danish crown jewels, take a canal cruise, see the little mermaid (on second thoughts she's a bit "meh" - iconic, but "meh" never the less...) and visit the Tivoli Gardens...

You could take a ~ 1 hour train to Hillerød and Frederiksborg Slot and garden (yes it's a museum - but it's pretty spectacular) or Helsingør and Kronborg Slot which is the setting for Shakespeare's "Hamlet." Alternatively - you could check out the Things to Do over on TripAdvisor.

For more info. on the Copenhagen card, what's included, cost, etc... http://www.copenhagencard.com/?ld=0&currency=eur

And yes the locals speak English (and 'Murican :D) - we learnt a few words of Danish so as not to feel totally embarrassed...

danish viking, Britinsocal and grad UT,

I looked at the castles of Frederiksborg and Kronborg. they sound awesome! Since we have 4 days, I would like to get the copenhagen card and see them both. is it sensible to take a train to fredricksburg castle and then go on to Kronborg, in helsingor and spend a night in helsingor or helsingborg(across the water in sweden?) and then take a train back through sweden to Malmothe next day? What is there to see in sweden? does the copenhagen card cover that whole train trip? do i need to buy the whole train trip in advance before leaving CPH? should I wait to book a hotel til we get there? Where is the best place to stay the night?

danish viking, Britinsocal and grad UT,

I looked at the castles of Frederiksborg and Kronborg. they sound awesome! Since we have 4 days, I would like to get the copenhagen card and see them both. is it sensible to take a train to fredricksburg castle and then go on to Kronborg, in helsingor and spend a night in helsingor or helsingborg(across the water in sweden?) and then take a train back through sweden to Malmothe next day? What is there to see in sweden? does the copenhagen card cover that whole train trip? do i need to buy the whole train trip in advance before leaving CPH? should I wait to book a hotel til we get there? Where is the best place to stay the night?

249 kroner for the Øresund Rundt ticket (around the sound) and its valid in 2 days.

Remember your passport or other valid photo id.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/around-sound-gdk412377

For hotels I´m guessing that Helsingborg has more to offer and is most likely also cheaper.

249 kroner for the Øresund Rundt ticket (around the sound) and its valid in 2 days.

Remember your passport or other valid photo id.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/around-sound-gdk412377

For hotels I´m guessing that Helsingborg has more to offer and is most likely also cheaper.

Thanks Danish viking, wow, 249 krones= $36. that is a deal. Should we buy the whole train ticket when we are in the CPH train station before we leave? Does the CPH card include the round the sound ticket? Should we buy the CPH card after we get to CPH? where do you buy it?

Danish viking,

can you giveme some advise. If I arrive at CPH on Oct 3rd (Tues) at 1:40pm (afternoon). and i get on the NCL ship on the 7th (sat). should I take the _around the sound trip and see the 2 castles and spend a night in Sweden on the 4th and 5th? So, i would spend one night in CPH then a night in Sweden, durning the "around the sound" and 2 more nights in CPH? or should we get on the train from the airport on the 3rd and go to the 1st castle town and spend the night there. so we wouldnt be changing hotels so much. Our flight is 9 hours from Orlando FL. :confused:

The Around the sound ticket is not included in the Copenhagen Card and you buy the ticket at the tourist office across from Tivolis main entrance.

I would take the first night in Copenhagen and perhaps ask if the hotel can store the luggage for you so you don't need to drag it all with you.

I think that it would be possible if you stay on the same hotel before and after the trip.

Or else you can get a luggage box at the central station.

Yes and then buy the Copenhagen Card when you get back to Copenhagen.

• 2 weeks later...

Arriving Oceankaj, first stop is Adina Apartment Hotel. Is the best transport the bus or train? Walking distance to the transport from the ship? And then once off transport walking distance to Adina? Instead if we chose a taxi for convenience what shall I expect for cost? If you were to recommend two restaurants what would they be? Thank you in advance, your information is so comforting Danish Viking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We start our cruise from Copenhagen on June 24th. We will have been in the city from June 21st staying at the Scandic Palace Hotel . We are sailing from Oceankaj. I am wondering what the approximate cost of a taxi from the hotel to the port might be? Time will be around 11 AM.Thanks a lot for any answer.

Out of all the major attractions noted throughout this thread... The castles, museums, etc. what attractions are open extended hours? We tend to be up fairly early in the morning and would be ready to be somewhere by 8am. Also, besides Tivoli or theater/musical shows, what is open on the later side? This info will help us try to plot a course as we kind of want to see everything! ( including the Hamlet castle). Appreciate any input. Also, where are the best coffee spots? Will probably hit Starbucks for collectors mugs, but would love some good Denmark spots! We will be at Crowne Plaza but heading into town via public transport.

Out of all the major attractions noted throughout this thread... The castles, museums, etc. what attractions are open extended hours? We tend to be up fairly early in the morning and would be ready to be somewhere by 8am. Also, besides Tivoli or theater/musical shows, what is open on the later side? This info will help us try to plot a course as we kind of want to see everything! ( including the Hamlet castle). Appreciate any input. Also, where are the best coffee spots? Will probably hit Starbucks for collectors mugs, but would love some good Denmark spots! We will be at Crowne Plaza but heading into town via public transport.

Do Starbucks still sell collector mugs in Northern Europe? I have only find the local collection in the US.

Arriving Oceankaj, first stop is Adina Apartment Hotel. Is the best transport the bus or train? Walking distance to the transport from the ship? And then once off transport walking distance to Adina? Instead if we chose a taxi for convenience what shall I expect for cost? If you were to recommend two restaurants what would they be? Thank you in advance, your information is so comforting Danish Viking.

Actually if you take bus 27 from Oceankaj its stops right next to Adina at the Pakhusvej bus stop.

A taxi would probably be around 150 kroner and a single bus ticket is 24 kroner.

For dinner there is a useful guide here.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/gastronomy/eat-drink

We start our cruise from Copenhagen on June 24th. We will have been in the city from June 21st staying at the Scandic Palace Hotel. We are sailing from Oceankaj. I am wondering what the approximate cost of a taxi from the hotel to the port might be? Time will be around 11 AM.Thanks a lot for any answer.

Expect around 200 kroner.

The best coffee spots in town

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/gastronomy/top-10-coffee-shops

Since you don´t say when you are in town I have to guess about late opening times :-)

1st of July to 13th of August Zoo has open to 20:00

The Blue Planet aquarium has open to 21:00 on Mondays

I don´t know the answer to that Starbucks question.