Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

Hi All

we will be arriving Copenhagen may 22 for 2 days on our cruise ship. Originally thinking of taking a 5 hour tour, but it looks to me like in a day and a half you can probably walk the city and see most of the sites. Is this doable or do you recommend taking a tour and spending the rest of time on your own.

thanks

Hal

Hi All

we will be arriving Copenhagen may 22 for 2 days on our cruise ship. Originally thinking of taking a 5 hour tour, but it looks to me like in a day and a half you can probably walk the city and see most of the sites. Is this doable or do you recommend taking a tour and spending the rest of time on your own.

thanks

Hal

In a day-and-a-half, you can see a lot of the sights of Copenhagen on your own. It's a fairly compact and easily walkable city.

While I would not want to spend 5 hours riding around the city on a tour, I can highly recommend the 3-hour Grand Tour we did with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours at the beginning of our 2 days in Copenhagen. Our guide was amazing and this turned out to be one of the highlights of our entire Baltic cruise.

Dear Danish Viking.

This might be a daft question, but are there cash machines at the airport? I looked on the website, but couldn't find anything.

Many thanks in advance.

Check visa.com -> that's where I found out where ATMs I could use were located.

Dear Danish Viking

I would like to thank you for your efforts in maintaining this great thread over the years.

Our last trip was a cruise started from Copenhagen. We stayed at Crowne Plaza and bought the transportation cards. It was very easy to use the train/bus combination to get to Oceankaj.

Our upcoming trip will be on Zuiderdam that arrives at Copenhagen on May 5th ETA 7:00am. We have a flight to Gdnask, Poland, on SAS at 13:00pm.

We have only 21" rollers so no problem to do the self-disembarkation. I am reasonably confident that we have enough time using public transportation again to get to the airport.

Reading back several pages of the thread up to Sept of 2016, I could not find answers to some of the questions I have in mind.

1) How do you buy the transportation tickets at the port area? I remember vaguely there is a convenient store of some sort near the terminal. Is it the case? and we could buy the tickets?

If we do not have the Danish Krone, would Euro or CC be accepted? Since Copenhagen is the disembarkation port for us, we would not have any Krone with us at the time we leave the ship.

2) The Bus 25, 26 and 27 always give me some confusion as which one to take.

I checked the port schedule, there are 4 ships arrive on May 5th. Zuiderdam is the earliest at 7:00am. Viking at 8:30am. Then 2 other ships arrive much later. So I hope if we can get off early with light luggage, we should be able to get on the bus pretty easy - except I dont remember which bus number it should be, and whether the bus goes to Osterport or to another station, for the line change to the airport.

Thank you again for keeping us all updated on the necessary logistic information.

Yay you will be in Copenhagen on my 32th year birthday :cool:

The other years you could buy ticket at the souvenir shop just next to the bus stop so I?m thinking its the same this year.

The only other option I know for tourists are the citypass.

http://www.citypass.dk/

Both bus 25 and 27 will get you to to ?sterport where the airport train departs from, if you are on the 25 bus you can continue to N?rreport where metroline M2 also get you to the airport..

Dear Danish Viking

I would like to thank you for your efforts in maintaining this great thread over the years.

Our last trip was a cruise started from Copenhagen. We stayed at Crowne Plaza and bought the transportation cards. It was very easy to use the train/bus combination to get to Oceankaj.

Our upcoming trip will be on Zuiderdam that arrives at Copenhagen on May 5th ETA 7:00am. We have a flight to Gdnask, Poland, on SAS at 13:00pm.

We have only 21" rollers so no problem to do the self-disembarkation. I am reasonably confident that we have enough time using public transportation again to get to the airport.

Reading back several pages of the thread up to Sept of 2016, I could not find answers to some of the questions I have in mind.

1) How do you buy the transportation tickets at the port area? I remember vaguely there is a convenient store of some sort near the terminal. Is it the case? and we could buy the tickets?

If we do not have the Danish Krone, would Euro or CC be accepted? Since Copenhagen is the disembarkation port for us, we would not have any Krone with us at the time we leave the ship.

2) The Bus 25, 26 and 27 always give me some confusion as which one to take.

I checked the port schedule, there are 4 ships arrive on May 5th. Zuiderdam is the earliest at 7:00am. Viking at 8:30am. Then 2 other ships arrive much later. So I hope if we can get off early with light luggage, we should be able to get on the bus pretty easy - except I dont remember which bus number it should be, and whether the bus goes to Osterport or to another station, for the line change to the airport.

Thank you again for keeping us all updated on the necessary logistic information.

I'm not Danish Viking, but -

In May 2015, after disembarking at Oceankaj, we purchased tickets from the bus driver and took the bus (with our luggage) to Norreport station. We were told that single ride bus tickets were available for purchase from the bus driver.

This website might not be the best, but does have useful info.

http://www.scandinaviastandard.com/buy-transport-tickets-in-copenhagen/

I'm not Danish Viking, but -

In May 2015, after disembarking at Oceankaj, we purchased tickets from the bus driver and took the bus (with our luggage) to Norreport station. We were told that single ride bus tickets were available for purchase from the bus driver.

This website might not be the best, but does have useful info.

http://www.scandinaviastandard.com/buy-transport-tickets-in-copenhagen/

Thanks for the link.

The only problem is, we will not have Krone on us. Unless the bus driver takes Euro, then we would not be able to buy tickets from him.

The Citypass is no use to us as we fly out at 1pm. All we need is to get to the airport.

Between the Scandic and the Radisson Blu Royal hotels could you tell me which is closer to places like Tivoli, Nyhavn, and the Stroget? Also what are the names of the streets that make up the Stroget? I apologize if I have spelled any of these names incorrectly

What Scandic are we talking about.

Thanks for the link.

The only problem is, we will not have Krone on us. Unless the bus driver takes Euro, then we would not be able to buy tickets from him.

The Citypass is no use to us as we fly out at 1pm. All we need is to get to the airport.

The bus driver accepted Euros. We hadn't yet visited an ATM for Krone.

What Scandic are we talking about.

Below are the two hotels I was asking about. Which is closer to Tivoli, Nyhavn, and the Stroget? This is for an older person who isn't able to walk quickly or really long distances. Is either in a better location for sightseeing? I hope this is the information you need.

The Scandic Hotel Copenhagen, Vester Soegade 6 Copenhagen, Denmark DK-1601

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Hammerichsgade 1 Copenhagen, Denmark DK-1611

Thank you for your help.

Sail again-I am traveling with an elderly person and looked at both Scandic Palace and Radisson Blu for location. Decided against Scandic Palace after reading about the bells chiming, just a heads up if you need a quite location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So glad for expert advice! We are flying in to the CPH Airport for a Holland America cruise that leaves on May 17 from the C332 pier. A couple questions: I looked at the port information link, but couldn't figure out the name of that pier. Also, we are arriving a couple days early, so will have time for some Copenhagen sightseeing. What hotel or area of the city would be convenient both for sightseeing and for being fairly near the port? Is Uber available in Copenhagen? Thanks!

So glad for expert advice! We are flying in to the CPH Airport for a Holland America cruise that leaves on May 17 from the C332 pier. A couple questions: I looked at the port information link, but couldn't figure out the name of that pier. Also, we are arriving a couple days early, so will have time for some Copenhagen sightseeing. What hotel or area of the city would be convenient both for sightseeing and for being fairly near the port? Is Uber available in Copenhagen? Thanks!

C332 is located at Oceankaj.

Even if there are accommodations near Oceankaj, you don't want to stay there. The port is in an industrial area at some distance from the city center. We stayed in the area near the Kongens Nytorv station giving us easy access from the airport via the M2 Metro line. We also used public transportation (two buses) to get from our hotel to Oceankaj. Our hotel, the Wakeup Hotel Borgegade, was within walking distance of the station, Nyhavn, the Stroget, Rosenborg Castle, and Tivoli Gardens. The room was small and basic, but it was clean, comfortable and quiet--all I need in a room. The staff was great and they offer an extensive breakfast buffet for an additional charge (which is well worth the money).

I know nothing about taking cabs or ride-shares in Copenhagen. We used the excellent public transportation system to get around.

C332 is located at Oceankaj.

Even if there are accommodations near Oceankaj, you don't want to stay there. The port is in an industrial area at some distance from the city center. We stayed in the area near the Kongens Nytorv station giving us easy access from the airport via the M2 Metro line. We also used public transportation (two buses) to get from our hotel to Oceankaj. Our hotel, the Wakeup Hotel Borgegade, was within walking distance of the station, Nyhavn, the Stroget, Rosenborg Castle, and Tivoli Gardens. The room was small and basic, but it was clean, comfortable and quiet--all I need in a room. The staff was great and they offer an extensive breakfast buffet for an additional charge (which is well worth the money).

I know nothing about taking cabs or ride-shares in Copenhagen. We used the excellent public transportation system to get around.

Many have written about using public transportation. Is this really feasible with very large suitcases?

Many have written about using public transportation. Is this really feasible with very large suitcases?

There's enough space on Metro for large bags. But anything larger than a carry on bag is too big for a bus.

Thank you for the quick answer! I have found a place near the Kongen's Nytorv station and we will take the Metro from the airport to reach the hotel. It sounded from your post that it is OK to take one's luggage on the Metro -- hope that is correct!

Thank you for the quick answer! I have found a place near the Kongen's Nytorv station and we will take the Metro from the airport to reach the hotel. It sounded from your post that it is OK to take one's luggage on the Metro -- hope that is correct!

Yes, we found the cars on the Metro spacious enough for our carry-on bags and there is even room for larger bags. But if you are intending to take public transportation to Oceankaj, you will be riding a bus and you can't fit anything larger than a carry-on suitcase on the buses.

The bus driver accepted Euros. We hadn't yet visited an ATM for Krone.

Oh, that would be Great!

Did you buy a 3 zone ticket that let you go all the way to the airport?

I read about the convenient store only sells 2 zone ticket so for airport you need to buy 2x 2 zone ticket instead of 1x 3 zone ticket (cheaper of course).

The only thing to be worried about is IF the bus driver does not take Euro then it would be too late for us to go buy the tickets at the store as the bus would not wait for us to do that, I would assume. And we would need to wait for the next bus thus waste 30 min.

On our last trip (sailed from CPH for a TATL back to US) we stayed at Crown Plaza which while it is labeled as Airport Hotel, it is not near airport but a train or metro ride away.

We found the hotel convenient (provided you are mobile) as the train / metro station is easy to walk to - from there it is a snap to go to town or to go to airport.

We bought a 72 hrs City Pass at the airport when we arrived for our 3 days stay pre-cruise. The public transportation system is excellent.

We ran out of things to do on our Day 3, decided to take the train to Hillerød / Frederiksborg Castle. We really enjoyed the day trip - the weather was perfect that day also added to a very pleasant experience when taking a lovely stroll along the lake shore. You can walk from the train station all the way to the castle. Or you can take the quaint shopping district detour before reaching the castle. We went via the shopping district on way out and took the lakeshore route on way back.