Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

You are in luck because the railwork on Kystbanen starts on the 24th of June :D

If we say that your trip starts and ends at the central station it looks like this.

Frederiksborg opens at 10 so If we start in the baroque garden around 9.

S-train line E towards Hillerød at 08:05, after a 20 minute walk you are at the palace around 09:15

Alternatively you can take bus 301 or 302 and be at the castle in 4 minutes.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hiller%C3%B8d+St.,+3400+Hiller%C3%B8d/Frederiksborg+Castle,+Frederiksborg+Slot,+Hiller%C3%B8d/@55.9310667,12.3003355,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465240b944755283:0xcebbaa39df414afa!2m2!1d12.3110226!2d55.9280267!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524097762941e1:0x12c6a634246b6152!2m2!1d12.3012724!2d55.9349652!3e2

The lokalbanen train towards Fredensborg departs every 30th minute at XX:27 and XX:57.

I suggest that you take the 12:57 train and you are in Fredensborg 13:06

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Fredensborg+St.,+Fredensborg/Fredensborg+Palace,+Slottet,+Fredensborg/@55.979596,12.3969409,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465238e33f89a8fd:0x8f1cc5eaedd73f98!2m2!1d12.406886!2d55.9772519!1m5!1m1!1s0x465238e044f6de73:0x1e17188007b0d4fd!2m2!1d12.3957505!2d55.9825734!3e2

The next train leaves at 14:06 but its better to take the 15:06 so you can explore more of Fredensborg.

The train at 15:06 is at Helsingør 15:24 so that leaves you with almost 2 hours at Kronborg and that should be enough.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Helsing%C3%B8r+Station,+Stationspladsen,+Helsing%C3%B8r/Kronborg,+2C,+3000+Helsing%C3%B8r/@56.0368472,12.6128144,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46523114010e399b:0x3686aeae25d4a895!2m2!1d12.6144555!2d56.0335192!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652310d8be4e5e3:0xc201c3cdc1f14036!2m2!1d12.6211551!2d56.0390142!3e2

To get home you take the train at XX:18, XX:38 and XX:58. The 17:58 is probably to early (The castle closes at 17:30).

The final trip to København H takes 46 minutes.

At this hour you probably want to find a place in Helsingør to eat so just remember that the train runs every 20th minute.

Hi Danish Viking,

Thank you so very much for this thread. I have learned a lot and it's really appreciated. I just have a couple of questions that I didn't see already posted (I read all pages).

At the Copenhagen Airport is there just one arrivals area for all airlines? We are meeting my Mom there, she will be flying in from Canada directly. We will be arriving in CPH via Amsterdam. Just trying to figure out where to find each other.

Also for the following attractions, do you know (or anyone else who has been there) approximately how much time we should budget for each location? We are in town Friday evening, all day Saturday & Sunday and then we board our ship on Monday lunch time so we are just trying to figure out if we can get everything done.

Tivoli Gardens

Little Mermaid

Kronberg Castle

Nyhaven (with canal boat tour)

Strogert

Amalienborg Palace

Aquarium

The National Museum

Frederiksborg Castle

Planetarium

Thank you for any help or direction you can provide!

Hi Danish Viking,

Thank you so very much for this thread. I have learned a lot and it's really appreciated. I just have a couple of questions that I didn't see already posted (I read all pages).

At the Copenhagen Airport is there just one arrivals area for all airlines? We are meeting my Mom there, she will be flying in from Canada directly. We will be arriving in CPH via Amsterdam. Just trying to figure out where to find each other.

Also for the following attractions, do you know (or anyone else who has been there) approximately how much time we should budget for each location? We are in town Friday evening, all day Saturday & Sunday and then we board our ship on Monday lunch time so we are just trying to figure out if we can get everything done.

Tivoli Gardens

Little Mermaid

Kronberg Castle

Nyhaven (with canal boat tour)

Strogert

Amalienborg Palace

Aquarium

The National Museum

Frederiksborg Castle

Planetarium

Thank you for any help or direction you can provide!

The bagage claim area is common for all terminals but it looks like you will enter from opposite ends.

The plane from Canada arrives at Pier C and depending on with airline you use from Amsterdam it will most like be Pier A for KLM and Norwegian and Pier B for SAS.

Pier C, D and F is located east of the bagage claim area and A and B west of the bagage claim area.

But on todays schedule SAS also had a arrival from Pier D and that is just next to Pier C so you might be lucky but do´t count on it.

If you look at my post (2 post above your own) you can see how long a trip to Frederiksborg and Kronborg would take,

A canal tour takes 1 hour and with a nice stroll, Ice cream or a hot dog at Nyhavn it will brobably take up 1,5 hour, more if you sit at a restaurant.

Tivoli could easily take up 3-4 hours but if you just take a look then 1 hour should do it, its not very large.

The aquarium is also an easily 1,5-2 hour.

Strøget takes aprox 30 minutes to cover, more if you visit the shops.

The national museum probably takes 2 hours to cover.

The little mermaid probably 15 minutes :D

Then there is transportortation between the sites but that you can use google maps.

You can take a taxi or you can use public transportation, depending when you disembark.

We used public transportation when we used self-debarkation around 8:15 am. We took the bus to the Norreport station and then the M2 Metro to the airport. We were checked in, through security and at our gate by 10:30 am.

Public transportation is a cheaper option than a taxi (DKK 24 pp vs. about DKK 250), but you probably don't want to try public transportation if you have more than a carry-on bag.

Thanks so much for that. YES we will have large bags as we are travelling for over 3 months so a taxi will be the go I think! I gather they will be at the dock and we will be at the airport in plenty of time by your estimations and experience. Thanks again as always a concern when you have a flight on the same day as we are embarking on another cruise that same day in Bergen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello! Wow ..what a great thread. Thanks.

Someone mentioned crossing over to Sweden to see the landscape. We will be arriving September 10th on the Regal Princess. My question is: are there independent tour operators at the cruise port who do that sort of thing? And are the costly??? Do they take credit cards? Oops...More than 1 question. [emoji255]

The tickets are are valid on any trains over the bridge on the given date, usually ticket reservations should not be needed.

Regarding taxi´s, Langelinie is normally not used to exchange passengers so normally there aren´t that many taxi´s around but I´ll imagine that the taxi companies gets told about your ships arrival by the Cruise Copenhagen Network.

But If you get a taxi You will probably have a better change of getting to the central station because I don´t think they will take a short trip to Østerport.

Also Remember that the ticket hall at Østerport is closed untill 2019 so there is only ticket machines available.

But you can take bus 26 from Langelinie to Østerport and further on Kongens Nytorv station the central station,

You can take the bus from the bus stop at the pier but there are more departures from the next bus stop at Indiakaj just at the buttom of the pier.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Indiakaj/@55.6956228,12.6054927,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be!8m2!3d55.6951972!4d12.5978878

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/KoereplanerPdf/26-0026-090417.pdf

If I understand the new procedure correct at the airport you will then get on the same train.

Danish Viking, thanks for the info, maps and bus schedule. The schedules don't show a Largelinie stop just Indiakaj but it looks like a short walk down the pier.

I checked the walking distance from Langelinie to Osterport and Google map says 19 minutes. Does that sound accurate and would he have any issues if he decided to walk? He'll only have a small wheeled bag and would not have a problem walking if his timing is not right for the bus or if there are no willing taxis. Thanks.

Carole

Hello! Wow ..what a great thread. Thanks.

Someone mentioned crossing over to Sweden to see the landscape. We will be arriving September 10th on the Regal Princess. My question is: are there independent tour operators at the cruise port who do that sort of thing? And are the costly??? Do they take credit cards? Oops...More than 1 question. [emoji255]

That part of Sweden is not as scenic as other parts of Sweden, its flat like Denmark :-)

For tours to Sweden, look at this website.

http://www.guides.dk/uk/Tour-Suggestions/Other-Tours.html

Danish Viking, thanks for the info, maps and bus schedule. The schedules don't show a Largelinie stop just Indiakaj but it looks like a short walk down the pier.

I checked the walking distance from Langelinie to Osterport and Google map says 19 minutes. Does that sound accurate and would he have any issues if he decided to walk? He'll only have a small wheeled bag and would not have a problem walking if his timing is not right for the bus or if there are no willing taxis. Thanks.

Carole

Its funny, I also didn´t find the Langelinie bus stop at the timetable but its on google maps when you look at the timetable from that bus stop.

When I take a trip to Langelinie to get a icecream I usually walk from Østerport and I will say that its also possible with one bag.

Its funny, I also didn´t find the Langelinie bus stop at the timetable but its on google maps when you look at the timetable from that bus stop.

When I take a trip to Langelinie to get a icecream I usually walk from Østerport and I will say that its also possible with one bag.

Thanks again for your help. How much time should he allow for the walk?

Carole

Ok Danish Viking, I have one for you: we will be spending several days in Copenhagen before our cruise on June 3. My kids were totally psyched to find out Distortion Fest is that week.

I am not TOO worried about it (we survive Lollapalooza in Chicago every year) but am curious how disruptive (hahahah) it will be in the city. Obviously, we are expecting longer travel times. What else? Super crowded public transit? We are staying in Christianshavn.

Thanks so much!

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok Danish Viking, I have one for you: we will be spending several days in Copenhagen before our cruise on June 3. My kids were totally psyched to find out Distortion Fest is that week.

I am not TOO worried about it (we survive Lollapalooza in Chicago every year) but am curious how disruptive (hahahah) it will be in the city. Obviously, we are expecting longer travel times. What else? Super crowded public transit? We are staying in Christianshavn.

Thanks so much!

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The street parties (31st of May and 1st of June) is luckily on Nørrebro and Vesterbro so that is the other end of Copenhagen, these are rhe biggest parties because they are free.

Distortion Ø (ø means island) is however in your part of town at Refshaleøen just north of Christianshavn on the 2nd of june between 16:00 and 03:00 and 3rd of june between 18:00 and 06:00.

These parties are still big but smaller than the street parties because you have to pay 450 kroner to get in.

Bus 9A will get busy and I´ll expect that there will be shuttle busses from Christianshavn metro station so that one will get crowded as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Danish Viking,

I saw on an earlier post that there will be railwork on the Kystbanen after June 24. We are planning to make two train trips, one to see Roskilde Cathedral and the Viking Ship Museum and the other to Fredriksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle. These will be Wednesday and Thursday of the first week in July. Will the railwork be a problem for these trips? And if so, could you please help me with the trip planning?

One more question. Do I use the Copenhagen cards to get tickets before boarding? Or do we show our cards instead of tickets on the train?

Thank you for your help.

Cindy

The trip to Roskilde should not be a problem but now it gets tricky.

The trip to Hillerød for Frederiksborg Palace is with S-train line M.

The S-train lines between Svanemøllen and Østerport is closed for 2 weeks in the start of July so from the central station you take the Øresundtog train towards Rungsted and get off at Hellerup.

Here you get Line M to Hillerød.

When going from Helsingør and back to Copenhagen its only 1 half of the line that is closed so its replacement busses from Helsingør to Rungsted and train rest of the way to Copenhagen.

But at the moment Kronborg castle and the maritime museum is talking about getting direct busses from Copenhagen to the castle and museum but nothing is decided yet.

Edited by Danish viking

This info with Line M and replacement busses is only valid between June 30rd and July 16th.

There are other dates and on other parts of the central S-train line where construction is disrupting the service but I will take a look at it tomorrow and post it if there is anything.

On Kystbanen its as already mentioned from June 24th and 8 weeks ahead.

Train will for all the way from Copenhagen to Rungsted and from there they will have busses stopping at all stations and busses between Rungsted and Helsingør.

Thank you, Danish Viking.

I should have told you that we are staying at the Hotel Christian IV so you know our starting point. I have been using the journey planner website and it has been extremely helpful. Do you think it will be updated by the first of June to give the new directions?

Cindy

I have two questions. We will be in Copenhagen 4 nights, October 11 - 14, before our TA cruise.

First, what is the status of the Street Food Market on paper island? In watching Videos and reading other web pages, there is mention that it will close in 2017. I am very much looking forward to experiencing it.

Second, What is the status of Christinia? Clearly the hands off the pusher street policy is over. It also sounds as if the "vibe" internally suffered from last summer's confrontations. How strong is the sentiment to close down Christinia and reclaiming that land for standard urban developement?

Danish Viking,

Another question if you can...

After reading several posts, and having "fellow travelers" say conflicting things, I'd like your point of view on the use of credit cards and debit cards. My understanding is Denmark vendors prefer the use of credit/debit cards. It is also my understanding that cards should be "chip and pin" technology. Most American cards, and all of mine, are "chip and signature" technology. Some website have suggested this can be a problem, others say not so much. What can you say?

I am not a world traveler, but my inclination is to travel with adequate amounts of local currency. Is this a wise strategy for Cophenhagen for street vendors, cab, and incidental purchases?

That is some very good questions and I will get back to you when I have done a proper research.

But regarding Christiania, its my understanding that the situation is somewhat normal.

The people of the freetown has been very focused on banning the hash dealers that makes trouble, and just today (or yesterday) it has been mentioned in the news papers that 2 young guys from Hells Angels (AK81), has been banned from entering Christiania because they made some trouble.

So there should be no security risk by entering the freetown.

But I also must add that Christiania is more than just Pusher Street, you can buy alot of handcrafted things, their own clothing line etc etc.

Just go a little bit desper into the area.

So there should be no security risk by entering the freetown.

But I also must add that Christiania is more than just Pusher Street, you can buy alot of handcrafted things, their own clothing line etc etc.

Just go a little bit desper into the area.

I had no concerns about personal security there. I understand the drug side is not the core of the location, but from what I could find it looked like it might be someones reason to go after the whole community.

If I were to live in Copenhagen I might think about being a part of that experience. You read a bit about the commune vibe reminiscent of the 60's hippie thing. It would be interesting to get a more in depth sense of what that translates into these days.