Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

Tivoli is not a necessarity if you only have 1 day and I would only fit in the freetown if you have 3-4 days in Copenhagen.

If we say that you visit Rundetaarn, Glyptoteket and Rosenborg and don´t use any public transport you will still pay 149 kroner to much with the Copenhagen Card.

The bus each way is only 24 kroner.

Thanks again DK. Can't wait!

Just have to set the alarm a little earlier for this port!

By the way, I was only basing the walking on looking at a map, is it an easy, comfortable walk from the port or is it major roads?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I have looked at Mayfair not the others. We do have several on our roll Call who have been to Copenhagen so this also helps the new visitors.:) My husband will not want to walk a lot, he will be 84 by cruise time, although I can move more freely, so looking for transportation that he can sit and enjoy such as the Canal Rides or even the HOHO buses. Right now I am looking at our arriving either 2 or 3 days before our cruise. We have plenty of time for me to narrow down the priority sights we wish to see and if we can get in a Castle tour that might be a nice outing along with the City Central sights. We will want to do more landmarks then museum touring.

Gay

Hi Danish Viking - We are booked on Regal Princess departing Copenhagen on 9/10/16. We were in Copenhagen in 2004 and stayed at the Marriott but unfortunately, it isn't available for this trip.

All we want to do is arrive the day before the cruise and check into a hotel to sleep, (we visited the city the last time we were there), so we don't need anything fancy - just clean and safe. We are looking at the Best Western Hebron. Is that easy to get to from the airport and then easy to get to the next day to the ship?

My husband is handicapped, so our only transportation option is a cab. Can you give me an estimate of what the cab fare is into the city center and then the next day from the hotel to the ship?

Edited by mek

Well if you take a taxi then every hotel in Copenhagen iseasy get get to and from. :D

But Its located just behind the central station if you take the train so the location is good but its located on the wrong side of the central station compared to where all the tourist sites are but its not a big deal.

A taxi from the airport is between 250 and 350 kroner depending on if its a big or small taxi or if its a public holiday, early morning etc.

To the pier its 160 to 260 kroner, I´m guessing that its Oceankaj your ship is docked at.er

Thanks again DK. Can't wait!

Just have to set the alarm a little earlier for this port!

By the way, I was only basing the walking on looking at a map, is it an easy, comfortable walk from the port or is it major roads?

You can walk back along the waterfront and the trip to the downtown area can be done almost by small streets and parks.

Perfect thanks DK, by the way I just read how Danish flag came about, in Tallinn Estonia ... Fascinating

Tallinn means city of Danes, and they shared same flag, the white cross in a pool of blood according to legend spurred them on to win the battle

Here is link

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ricksteves/a-walking-tour-of-tallinn-5779/?all

Edited by teamflames

Well if you take a taxi then every hotel in Copenhagen iseasy get get to and from. :D

But Its located just behind the central station if you take the train so the location is good but its located on the wrong side of the central station compared to where all the tourist sites are but its not a big deal.

A taxi from the airport is between 250 and 350 kroner depending on if its a big or small taxi or if its a public holiday, early morning etc.

To the pier its 160 to 260 kroner, I´m guessing that its Oceankaj your ship is docked at.er

Thanks for the information - I guess what I was getting at about the hotel is if you know that a cab can pull up directly in front of the entrance or is there a walk to get to it, which won't work for us.

Its located on a side street to Vesterbrogade but there are 4 other hotels on the same street so be sure that the taxi drivers know where the business is. :D

Thanks - I was just concerned that the hotel might be down a pedestrian street.

Oh, one more question that I don't recall from our previous visit - do cabs take credit cards?

Edited by mek

How many passengers does a typical taxi hold and the prices mentioned for the entire group. Thanks

As an alternative to the train - We did a Viator all day castles tour that visited Kronborg, Frederiksborg, and Fredensborg. It was an excellent tour. I booked online. The next day we visited the two castles in the city on our own, complete with a picnic in the gardens outside Rosenborg Castle. Wonderful castle experiences! The Viator tour allows good time at each castle and provides a lunch (extra$.)

Thanks PNW traveler. I am still debating if I should take the Viator. Am Arriving 2 days before the cruise and planning to take the train from the airport to my Hotel.

Copenhagen Pass 48HR is cheaper by at least $40.00 than the Viator and it covers all your train rides, entrance to all the castles you want to see among others, Canal boat tour, not sure about the entrance to Tivoli.

I am still debating, do I want to save or do I choose the convenience, Viator.

Thanks PNW traveler. I am still debating if I should take the Viator. Am Arriving 2 days before the cruise and planning to take the train from the airport to my Hotel.

Copenhagen Pass 48HR is cheaper by at least $40.00 than the Viator and it covers all your train rides, entrance to all the castles you want to see among others, Canal boat tour, not sure about the entrance to Tivoli.

I am still debating, do I want to save or do I choose the convenience, Viator.

In my honest opinion I think the Viator thing is a waste of money, When the trains and busses runs as often as they do you wont waste that much time at the stations.

Yes Tivoli is included.

Also the local ferry on the lake at Frederiksborg Palace is included.

Edited by Danish viking

In my honest opinion I think the Viator thing is a waste of money, When the trains and busses runs as often as they do you wont waste that much time at the stations.

Yes Tivoli is included.

Thanks Danish Viking - you always give us good options. What better to follow than a local. Will do what you suggested. We also booked for a free walking tour of Copenhagen.

Thanks Danish Viking - you always give us good options. What better to follow than a local. Will do what you suggested. We also booked for a free walking tour of Copenhagen.

One more thing Danish Viking. I know Copenhagen is pretty expensive, any suggestions where we can find food that is reasonable. I heard about the Street Food. Is that worth it? Where is it actually. Nearest Metro to my hotel is Forum

Yes Tivoli is included.

Hello Danish Viking -

Yes, the Viator tour is more money. The value is in the all-day guide. We wanted to learn more of Denmark's history, not just view the castles. My great-grandparents emigrated from Denmark. My great-grandfather worked with the King's horses at the Royal Stables. It was fascinating to learn more of the monarchy and gain an appreciation for Denmark's history.

Hello Danish Viking -

Yes, the Viator tour is more money. The value is in the all-day guide. We wanted to learn more of Denmark's history, not just view the castles. My great-grandparents emigrated from Denmark. My great-grandfather worked with the King's horses at the Royal Stables. It was fascinating to learn more of the monarchy and gain an appreciation for Denmark's history.

There are audio which you can rent. Those are as informative as a human guide, plus you can pause or repeat if you want to hear it again. I usually rent an audio.

There are audio which you can rent. Those are as informative as a human guide, plus you can pause or repeat if you want to hear it again. I usually rent an audio.

Yes, the audio are good. We usually rent audio and tour on our own. Please don't discount our enjoyment of splurging on an all-day tour with a guide. It made the day special for us.

Yes, the audio are good. We usually rent audio and tour on our own. Please don't discount our enjoyment of splurging on an all-day tour with a guide. It made the day special for us.

Whatever works for anybody. I was not discounting anyone. My Original reply was to Danish Viking and commended his advise. Did not mean to make anyone defensive of their own choices. Please accept my apology for the miscommunication.

One more thing Danish Viking. I know Copenhagen is pretty expensive, any suggestions where we can find food that is reasonable. I heard about the Street Food. Is that worth it? Where is it actually. Nearest Metro to my hotel is Forum

The Rick Steves guide for Scandanavia or for the Northern Europe Cruise Ports lists quite a few reasonably priced restaurants in Copenhagen. We ate dinner at the vegetarian buffet at Riz Raz (two locations) for 99 DKK. I am a meat-eater from way back so I was a little wary about a vegetarian buffet, but it was great!

We also tried some of the Danish hot dogs from a cart around Nyhavn. (We saw them in other places around town too.) Do not leave Copenhagen without trying one!

The Rick Steves guide for Scandanavia or for the Northern Europe Cruise Ports lists quite a few reasonably priced restaurants in Copenhagen. We ate dinner at the vegetarian buffet at Riz Raz (two locations) for 99 DKK. I am a meat-eater from way back so I was a little wary about a vegetarian buffet, but it was great!

We also tried some of the Danish hot dogs from a cart around Nyhavn. (We saw them in other places around town too.) Do not leave Copenhagen without trying one!

Thanks Gradut. Now I'm really tempted to get Rick Steves Guide. Danish Viking can be Rick Steves in disguise!