Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

Hello Danish viking,

Going to Absalon Hotel on Sunday, May 22,2016 from Serenade of the Seas @ Oceankaj.

Since this will be Marathon day will bus #25 & Eastbound Metro M1 or M2 to Main train station be working in the A.M. or will they be stopped for the Marathon?

Also will walk to hotel from Main train station be O.K. with Marathon happening?

Thanks for all your help. Heather.

The previous years the marathon hasn't been near the central station.

Btw the metro doesn't stop at the central station before 2019 when M3 and M4 goes into service.

Thanks so much for all of the information you posted. We are going to rent a car and going directly to Aarhus, not spending anytime in Copenhagen. Would you suggest using the car rental agencies with locations at the port? I know Sixt has one. Thanks.

Halina Alter

The airport is located next to the E20 motorway and if you follow that motorway all the way to Fredericia you then find E45 towards Aarhus.

If you choose a renter office in the downtown area you will have to drive in the hectic city traffic before you enter the motorway.

GradUT;49552110]Take a look at WakeUp Hotel Borgegade. It's located near Nyhavn so it's easy to get there from the airport and to the cruise port using public transportation. That's how we did it last summer. The rooms are small and basic, but they are modern, clean and comfortable. They offer a breakfast buffet for a small charge. We loved our stay here and the room rate is among the best you will find in pricey Copenhagen.

HI GradUT,

We will be staying at Wake up Copenhagen Borgegrade in July, pre cruise. Can you provide me with transit directions from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier to catch our cruise?

Thank you for you reply

Louise

Hi Danish Viking,

Just reading all the wonderful advice and suggestions and recommendations that you have offered to all us cruisers and newbies to Copenhagen.

We will be staying at Wake up Copenhagen Borgegrade for 3 nights.

Can you suggest must see/do for the 3 days? We are not museum lovers, so we will skip this activity. AS well, should we buy the CPH card? When we were in AMsterdam, we walked everywhere (our hotel was located on Dam Street) and did not even take any transit.

When suggesting places to see/do, can you provide transit directions as well/ It sounds like a big job, but any info will be much appreciated!!

We will be arriving in Copenhagen at 6 am and probably exhausted from our overnight flight!

Thanks so much, Danish Viking!!!

Louise

GradUT;49552110]HI GradUT,

We will be staying at Wake up Copenhagen Borgegrade in July, pre cruise. Can you provide me with transit directions from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier to catch our cruise?

Thank you for you reply

Louise

Louise,

1. In answer to this question, I'm cutting and pasting from the notes I made for our cruise last July. It's possible that the times listed in these notes are different now, but you can check that by going to the Rejseplanen (Trip Planner) website for Copenhagen. That website, plus the directions Danish Viking provided in his 2015 version of this thread were INVALUABLE resources for me in planning all my travel around the city. Those same directions, with photos, are in Post #1 on this, the 2016 edition of "Wonderful Copenhagen". (My notes are at the end of this posting.)

2. I see that in your following post, you have asked Danish Viking to suggest a 3-day intinerary for you with directions. I do not want to presume to answer for him, but this is something you really need to do on your own since you know your interests and Danish Viking does not. The resources to accomplish this are easily available. I suggest you either explore the Visit Copenhagen website and/or get a copy of Rick Steves' Scandanavia or Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports. Both the website and the RS guidebook were great resources when I planned our time in Copenhagen. Once you decide what you want to see and do, you can use either a city map of Copenhagen or the Rejsenplannen website to figure out how to get there. I think you will find that you can walk almost anyplace you'd want to go from the Wakeup Hotel--as long as you don't mind walking.

Here's the link to the Rejsenplanen website: http://www.dsb.dk/Rejseplan/bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_dsb

Here's the link to the Visit Copenhagen website: http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen-tourist

And finally, here are my notes on how to get to the hotel from the airport and how to get to Oceankaj from the hotel:

1. From Airport to WakeUp Hotel (Borgergade 9)

Take M2 Metro to Kongens Nytorv Station. 3-zone ticket cost 36 DKK

Metro leaves every 6 minutes and trip takes 13 minutes.

At Kongens Nytorv Station take elevator (escalators don’t go all way) to ground level.

From Kongens Nytorv Station, walk 8 minutes to hotel (map)

2. From WakeUp Hotel to Oceankaj Cruise Port

Walk to St. Kongensgade bus stop 2-zone ticket costs 24 DKK

Take Bus 26 in direction of “Sondre Frihaven” or “Osterport St., Slojfen”. (Departures

every 10 minutes on the “3’s”)

Get off at Osterport St, Slofen, the 2nd bus stop at Osterport (about a 7 minute ride)

Take Bus 27 in direction of “Oceankaj” (Departs at :22 and :52)–See map for bus stop

Arrive at Oceankaj (about 14 minute ride)

(Note: There is a special Bus 25 that goes to Oceankaj on cruise days. It departs from

Osterport Station at Folke Bernadottes Alle approximately every 20 – 30 minutes.)

Edited by GradUT

Thanks GradUT for the detailed information.

Thank you for copying and pasting the info for me. I am computer challenged, as you can see from my posts. How do you guys get the Quotes highlighted in blue?

Yes, you are right, neither you or Danish Viking know our interests, but I guess I just wanted to know what are the must see sights.

I usually pore over guide books, like the ones you suggested, but prefer to get some input from people that have been there already.

Cab you also suggest some food places? Like the local foods that should not be missed?

Thanks....Louise

How do you guys get the Quotes highlighted in blue?

Cab you also suggest some food places? Like the local foods that should not be missed?

Thanks....Louise

1. In order to get the quotes highlighted in blue, click on "Quotes" instead of "Post Reply". And, if you don't want to repeat a whole quote, just delete what you don't want to include--as I have just done here.

2. Because I can easily cut and paste from the Word document I created for our cruise, I'm posting my section on dining in Copenhagen. But just to let you know, I got most, if not all, of it from Rick Steves. That's why I recommend you check out one of his books.

DINING

For a quick meal, try a smorrebrod, polse or picnic. Finish it off with a pastry.

Smorrebrod—Denmark’s 300-year-old tradition of open-face sandwiches. Find a take-out shop and choose 2 or 3 that look good (about 30 DKK each)

Polse—Danish hot dog. Study the photo menu for variations. The best is a ristet (grilled) hot dog med det hele (with the works). Other terms are: rod (basic, boiled weenie), medister (spicy, better quality), knaek (short, stubby, tastier than rod), brod (a bun, usually smaller than the sausage), Fransk (French style, buried in a long, skinny hole in the bun with sauce), sennep (mustard), ristet log (crispy, fried onions)

Picnics—Small delis (viktualliehandler) sell fresh bread, pastries, meat, cheese, etc. The two largest supermarkets are Irma and Super Brugsen. Netto is a cut-rate supermarket. Lots of 7-Eleven stores.

Pastry—Golden pretzel sign hanging over the door is the age-old symbol for a bakery. Try Lagkagehuset (multiple locations around town).

Restaurants—Due to the high cost of water in Denmark, you will likely be charged for tap water if you do not order another beverage. Many Danish restaurants charge a 2 – 5% fee for credit cards, so pay with cash. Service is included in the bill, so tipping is not expected.

a) Riz Raz – Vegetarian buffet, but meat offered. Lasagna and penne pasta, salads, falafel, fresh bread. “Best deal in town” All you can eat veggie buffet: Lunch 79 DKK, Dinner 99 DKK

2 locations: Store Kannikestraede 19 (11 minutes from hotel)—Larger menu

Compagnistraede 20 (12 minutes from hotel)

b) Spaghetteria La Perla -- Landemaerket 27 Pasta and pizza around 100 DKK

c) The Dubliner (Amagertorv 5 – 8 minutes from hotel) Nice Irish pub. Fish & chips for 109 DKK

d) Holberg No. 19 – Sandwiches and salads tapas and quesadillas, order at the bar. A block off the Nyhavn canal and offers lower prices than Nyhavn restaurants. (Quesadillas @ 75 DKK) Friendly, low-key vibe.

e) El Viejo Mexico -- Store Kongensgade 61 (near Wakeup Borgerade) Chicken fajitas 179 DKK and beef fajitas 219 DKK

f) Illum (Stroget at Ostergade 52) and Magasin du Nord (Kongens Nytorv 13)—Cheery, reasonable meals in their cafeterias. Elegant glass-domed top floor or outside at Illum. Magasin du Nord has a great supermarket and deli in the basement.

g) Chico’s Cantina (Borgerade 2—across from hotel) Fajitas for 185 DKK)

Hi,

I just need to check some walking directions to the Absalon from Kobenhavn Hovedbangegard. I am told it is just a two minute walk. When I look at a map it seems like we would walk down Istedgad, turn left at Helgolandsgade. My question is: Istegad does not seem to connect right up to the train station? What's the quickest way onto Istegad Street?

Thanks Danish Viking!

Thanks GradUT for the detailed information.

Thank you for copying and pasting the info for me. I am computer challenged, as you can see from my posts. How do you guys get the Quotes highlighted in blue?

Yes, you are right, neither you or Danish Viking know our interests, but I guess I just wanted to know what are the must see sights.

I usually pore over guide books, like the ones you suggested, but prefer to get some input from people that have been there already.

Thanks....Louise

The musts sees in my opinion would be Glytoteket, Tivoli, the national museum, canal tour and Rosenborg in no particular order.

And if you ask me then Copenhagen Zoo and The Blue Planet can be added as well.

Bøf & Ost on Gråbrødre Torv, Bryggeriet Apollo next to Tivolis main entrance and a Italian restaurant called Pompei on Kultorvet and also Italian is Il Peccato on Axel Torv is the best restaurants I have been to in Copenhagen.

The musts sees in my opinion would be Glytoteket, Tivoli, the national museum, canal tour and Rosenborg in no particular order.

And if you ask me then Copenhagen Zoo and The Blue Planet can be added as well.

Bøf & Ost on Gråbrødre Torv, Bryggeriet Apollo next to Tivolis main entrance and a Italian restaurant called Pompei on Kultorvet and also Italian is Il Peccato on Axel Torv is the best restaurants I have been to in Copenhagen.

Danish Viking,

Thanks so much for the must sees and food places.

Louise

Have you looked at Hotel Alexandra, Absalon, Tiffany and Mayfair? they are also in your price range and are all located near Tivoli.

I'm so impressed with you, Danish Viking, for all this information you've provide over the years. Thank you. I'm extra pleased to see that the hotel we'd chosen, Tiffany, happens to be on your list.

What do you think of the Cisterns? The Danish Design Center? The Jewish Museum? We'll be in town four days before our cruise this June.

Walk over to Kongens Nytorv metro station, take the metro towards Vestamager or Lufthavnen and get off at Christianshavn.

From here you take bus 9A towards Operaen, Holmen and get off at Experimentariet, Arsenaløen and walk from there.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Copenhagen+Street+Food,+Trangravsvej/Experimentariet,+Arsenal%C3%B8en,+1434+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6782343,12.597702,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533b4ae238fd:0xc0e47d5d65b2f5e7!2m2!1d12.597749!2d55.6796334!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533ab94b2e0d:0xb536c6a4aae3a92!2m2!1d12.6019798!2d55.6777408

But but but

They are building a bridge on the southside of Nyhavn that should open this June and then a short walking tour will be better.

http://map.krak.dk/m/mVO2F

Hi Danish Viking - how about from Cabinn Scandinavia to The Street Food. what are the major attractions near the Street Food, it maybe that I am in one of the major attractions already and just go to the Street food for a quick meal.

Dear Danish Viking, I found this wonderful Copenhagen 2016 thread, so grateful as I am trying to find transportation from RCL docks at Oceankaj to city center and airport. Our cruise will dock overnight in Copenhagen on Friday August 5, we will disembark on Saturday Aug 6th. I have a few questions that I am not clear whether it is right, after reading your post

1) On Friday, we plan to take bus 25 from Oceankaj to Norreport, walk to Rosenborg palace, Christiansborg, Christianshavn, Amalienborg then to the little mermaid, from there can we catch either bus 25 or 27 at Slojfen stop on Osterport st. to go back to cruise port? is it correct? I check google map, the distance between these places are about 1-1.5km, so I think it is walkable.

2) We are thinking about going to Tivoli garden in the evening, but I looked up bus schedule, bus 27 do not run past 19:00, that means if we stay at Tivoli, we have to leave by 18:00, otherwise we can't take public transportation back to the port and taxi is the only option to get back?

3) On Saturday August 6th, our flight is at 15:00, can we take bus 25/27 from oceankaj to Osterport then bus 29 to airport?

a) does bus 25 and 29 run on Saturdays? I don't have bus 25 & 29 schedule.

b) is it okay to bring luggage on these buses?

I know bus takes longer time than train, but we have time since we have to disembark by 10:00 any way. Then Google maps tells me to take bus 27 to Osterport then take B train to Norreport then transfer M2 to airport, that means I have to transfer twice! walking with luggage downstair to underground train or subway then upstairs to transfer take more work especially transfer twice!

Thank in advance for your help!

Joanne

I think its time for a new thread, I will not answer any questions in the old thread as the answer might be here instead.

Pier Information.

http://www.cmport.dk/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/season-current

Transportation

Public transportation

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/service/for-tourists/

Price from the airport to central Copenhagen or the piers is 36 DKK

From central Copenhagen to the piers is 24 DKK

Public busses

26 goes to Indiakaj near Langelinie and stops at the central station, Town Hall Square, Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn and Østerport

25 and 27 goes to Oceankaj via Nørreport (only 25) and Østerport.

The new timetable for 25 should be online sometime in April

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/trafikinformation/koereplaner/koereplaner-bus/25/

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/KoereplanerPdf/26-0026-131215.pdf

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/KoereplanerPdf/27-0027-131215.pdf

And here is my photoguide on how to use them

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048740&page=11

Info about luggage storage at the central station.

http://en.hovedbanen.dk/dsb-information/dsb-luggage-service/

Taxi

Dantaxi

http://www.dantaxi.dk/Koebenhavn

Taxi Nord

http://www.taxinord.dk/

4x27

http://amagerobrotaxi.dk/

Taxi Nord has a practical price calculater

http://www.taxinord.dk/nyttig-info/beregn-pris-paa-taxi.html

akst 1 and 3 is normal hours.

Takst 2 and 4 is night after Friday and Saturday from 23:00 to 07:00 and public holidays.

To quickly sum of the taxi situation at Oceankaj.

In general they don´t accept prebooking at Oceankaj because in their experience people just takes the first available taxi instead of the one they booked.

but they say that there should be plenty of taxis all the time.

So ask away :D

Dear Danish Viking, I found this wonderful Copenhagen 2016 thread, so grateful as I am trying to find transportation from RCL docks at Oceankaj to city center and airport. Our cruise will dock overnight in Copenhagen on Friday August 5, we will disembark on Saturday Aug 6th. I have a few questions that I am not clear whether it is right, after reading your post

1) On Friday, we plan to take bus 25 from Oceankaj to Norreport, walk to Rosenborg palace, Christiansborg, Christianshavn, Amalienborg then to the little mermaid, from there can we catch either bus 25 or 27 at Slojfen stop on Osterport st. to go back to cruise port? is it correct? I check google map, the distance between these places are about 1-1.5km, so I think it is walkable.

2) We are thinking about going to Tivoli garden in the evening, but I looked up bus schedule, bus 27 do not run past 19:00, that means if we stay at Tivoli, we have to leave by 18:00, otherwise we can't take public transportation back to the port and taxi is the only option to get back?

3) On Saturday August 6th, our flight is at 15:00, can we take bus 25/27 from oceankaj to Osterport then bus 29 to airport?

a) does bus 25 and 29 run on Saturdays? I don't have bus 25 & 29 schedule.

b) is it okay to bring luggage on these buses?

I know bus takes longer time than train, but we have time since we have to disembark by 10:00 any way. Then Google maps tells me to take bus 27 to Osterport then take B train to Norreport then transfer M2 to airport, that means I have to transfer twice! walking with luggage downstair to underground train or subway then upstairs to transfer take more work especially transfer twice!

Thank in advance for your help!

Joanne

We used public transportation last July to get between Oceankaj and the city and Oceankaj and the airport.

1) This plan is very similar to what I did one day. The walk from Rosenborg Castle to the Little Mermaid is easily done--just about 1.5 miles as you say. Then just pick up the 27 bus at Osterport. You can look at the Rejseplanen (Trip Planner) website to see when the 27 buses depart. Depending on the time of day, it could be every 30 minutes or every 15 minutes. http://www.rejseplanen.dk

2) Can't help with this as we did not go out in the evening from the ship.

3) I think the easiest way to get to the airport would be to do what we did--take the 25 bus to Norreport and then take the M2 Metro to the airport. At Norreport, you can take an elevator from street level (when you get off the bus) to the Metro station which is easier with luggage than getting it on and off 2 buses. And the Metro is roomier than the buses, so there's more space for you and your luggage.

It is OK to take luggage on the bus, but there's no storage space for it. You can either hold it in your lap, place it on the floor next to you (if the bus isn't full) or do as we did and stand with your luggage in the open area for prams (since it's unlikely there will be any prams). Our bus was full of people and their luggage and we managed fine.

Thank you GradUT

You're right about going to airport, taking bus 25 to Norreport then M2 to airport. But I don't have schedule for bus 25- I am a little worried because it is Saturday. I hope this bus runs on Saturday, then we will take bus 25, especially there is an elevator.

Thanks again

Thank you GradUT

You're right about going to airport, taking bus 25 to Norreport then M2 to airport. But I don't have schedule for bus 25- I am a little worried because it is Saturday. I hope this bus runs on Saturday, then we will take bus 25, especially there is an elevator.

Thanks again

Danish Viking states in his 1st post that the schedule for the 25 bus should come out in April, so you might be looking for it. Last year, the 25 bus ran every day that a cruise ship was in port. We rode the 25 bus on a Saturday from Norreport to Oceankaj after a day of sightseeing in town and on a Sunday from Oceankaj to Norreport in order to get to the airport.

Thanks, I will wait for bus 25 schedule!

Danish Viking states in his 1st post that the schedule for the 25 bus should come out in April, so you might be looking for it. Last year, the 25 bus ran every day that a cruise ship was in port. We rode the 25 bus on a Saturday from Norreport to Oceankaj after a day of sightseeing in town and on a Sunday from Oceankaj to Norreport in order to get to the airport.

Hi Danish Viking - how about from Cabinn Scandinavia to The Street Food. what are the major attractions near the Street Food, it maybe that I am in one of the major attractions already and just go to the Street food for a quick meal.

Sorry I missed this one.

You simply just take the metro from Forum to Christianshavn and here change for bus 9A towards Operaen and get off at Arsenaløen.

Major attraction near Street Food is the opera, hvor frelser kirke (church of our saviour) and the free town Christiania.

Hello I've a question about walking from our hotel to Nyhavn. We are staying on Kobenhaun and want to go to Nyavn 1-71 on Kobenhavn K. On the map I have it doesn't appear very far. Not as close as Tivoli Garden but we all know maps can look close but be an hour away. We do like walking but will be coming from Boston overnight and heading out as soon as we drop our bags at the hotel. Should we just grab a taxi or can we walk this in half an hour or so.

Thanks for all the advise on this site it is has been a huge help.

So you are going to Nyhavn number 1 or 71 (well doesn't matter as Nyhavn isn't that long a street) København K is just the postal code area.

But I can't figure out where your hotel is, København is just the Danish name for Copenhagen so it doesn't give mening much info. :D

OOPS copied this from the map. We are staying at the Radisson Blu Royal. They said it was close to the Garden so I wanted to be in that area. I like fireworks :). My husband not so much would rather sleep, but now he will be up and out with me, he can sleep in on Sunday morning while I go to the coffee shop I copied down across from the hotel.

Was hoping to walk to the river cruise but will take a taxi if to far.