Sticker shock We haven't sailed in 4 years. Book now for the Free at Sea, or wait?

We're Platinum and have sailed NCL exclusively.

Last cruise 4 years ago.

This Free at Sea Promo is about to expire and we're on the fence. The cruise prices seem much higher that they were (and, yes, many other things cost more than they did 4 year ago...we know.)

BUT: We used to get some really good prices but we generally booked closer to cruise date. We want to cruise Jan, 2017, or so.

NCL says the "new CEO" is not going to lower fares...because they are going to be "modeled more after Oceania and Regent," so I was told on the phone yesterday by a NCL rep.

Opinions? We've been out of the picture too long! I'd like to get the most value for my $$.

It's kind of ironic, because we used to fill out those post-cruise questionnaires, and I would write, "I wish you would raise the price a bit and improve on the XYZ." Ha!

Yes it has changed quite a bit.. Or should I say DelRio has changed the system quite a bit.

Nothing is ever more expensive than when it is Free ;)

Im going through the same as you right now . Except Im trying to book for 6

(kids bringing a freind) uggg what a change.

Any idea what the next promo will be

The promotions have been pretty much the same with only minor changes between iterations; like how many perks various cabin categories can pick, Kids Sail Free included/not included, etc. etc.

The basic premise of choosing freebies will remain if history is any indication.

Edited by triptolemus

If you would prefer to book without the promos and at a lower price point there has been quite a bit of chatter here on Cruise Critic about 'No Frills" pricing being offered through some avenues. Search the phrase and hopefully you will come up with more information if this is of interest to you.

Rochelle

Just book and change later if the price drops. With the exception of the " All In" pseudo all inclusive of last year, NCL repeats the same promos as others have stated.

We need to cruise a certain week so made our reservation a bit early- we want a certain suite and week. I doubt we'll see much movement downward.

Besides the sticker shock for some, be mindful of the changes/revised terms for

cancellation deadlines, penalty & cutoffs, and restrictions, etc. etc. (the fine prints, in other words) ...

We are about to book almost no-frills pricing, not really last minutes - but 70 days out on a 7 nighter to Bermuda ending on a holiday weekend - prices aren't moving downward but since there's no holiday blackout for our land discounted offer to sail, we are using that and paying a reasonable rate ...

Well, we get our choice of 2 adjourning staterooms so that our 2 friends are next door at a relative good location - GTY category is generally fine with us.

For off-peak, low-season sailings - prices do, sometimes, drop down very low ultra last-minute, like within 3 to 10 days of sailings, if you can pack and go and live close to the port for a quick getaway. January sailings usually don't sell out quick - depending on what's important to you.

Besides the sticker shock for some, be mindful of the changes/revised terms for

cancellation deadlines, penalty & cutoffs, and restrictions, etc. etc. (the fine prints, in .

Wow, good point. I have some reading to do. It never occurred to me that the cancellation policies might have changed, as well !