Dreamworks Character Breakfast

Could someone tell me:

What time it is

Is it every morning?

If you have done it - is it fun? We will be with our grandchildren who are 7 and 3 (she turns 3 while we are on the ship!)

Thank you.

In my experience on board Oasis, the DreamWorks character breakfast was offered 3 times (Day 3, 6, 7) and was at 07:45 in the MDR (reserved section in a back corner).

It's a lot of fun. There will very likely be different characters at each one. There's a "special" menu (a few different items, but mostly the usual items with themed names) and the characters come and do a dance number, inviting the kids to dance with them.

Then they come around to each table for pictures and may give you a small gift such as stickers or a "Shrek ears" headband.

They're likely to sell out so you may want to book through the Cruise Planner as soon as you can. I am not sure if they reserve spots for on-board booking as they typically do for other entertainment and shore excursions.

Could someone tell me:

What time it is

Is it every morning?

If you have done it - is it fun? We will be with our grandchildren who are 7 and 3 (she turns 3 while we are on the ship!)

Thank you.

We did it back in 2011 when it was new to Freedom. We had to be there by 745am and judging by the number of people already in their seats and where they put us, we were one of the last to arrive. I believe it is only offered a few times during the cruise, definitely not daily.

Was it fun? Our 5 year old grandson was not impressed but he was never interested in characters, unless they were Star Wars related :D I think your 3 year old might like it the most. It wasn't much of a show, mainly just introducing each character who did a little dance for a few moments, then went table to table for pictures.

It was free when we did it, so it was ok, but not something I would pay for unless grandkids were really wanting to do it.:D

Sherri:)

We booked it for our upcoming Allure cruise (sister ship of Oasis). It's offered every sea day at 8am. From what I understand, they have different characters at each breakfast but you won't know who you get until you are there.

It's normally on sea days only. It is fun for the little ones they can get up and dance if they are not shy. You also get a chance to take a picture with each character (3-4) with your own camera.

Around the ship,when you meet the characters you can only sometimes use your camera. If the photographer is there, they don't usually let you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can judge whether or not this applies to your situation or not, but since knowing this certainly would have helped me I want to add a bit of a warning.

The area that they use for the breakfast is pretty small and at least on Freedom there were speakers set up which were turned up pretty loud. They would play music, make sound effects, and use it as a PA system.

My son is pretty sensitive to loud noises and lasted less than 5 minutes before I had to carry him out him tears. It took assurances of no loud noises before each subsequent trip to the dining room. Even as we get ready to go back on FOS a year later, he remembers and has made us promise that we won't take him to the loud breakfast.

You can judge whether or not this applies to your situation or not, but since knowing this certainly would have helped me I want to add a bit of a warning.

The area that they use for the breakfast is pretty small and at least on Freedom there were speakers set up which were turned up pretty loud. They would play music, make sound effects, and use it as a PA system.

My son is pretty sensitive to loud noises and lasted less than 5 minutes before I had to carry him out him tears. It took assurances of no loud noises before each subsequent trip to the dining room. Even as we get ready to go back on FOS a year later, he remembers and has made us promise that we won't take him to the loud breakfast.

Thanks for that tip!!! I was planning to book it for the grandchildren on Harmony, but one grand is Autistic and loud noises blaring will send him in a tail spin...:(

Thanks for that tip!!! I was planning to book it for the grandchildren on Harmony, but one grand is Autistic and loud noises blaring will send him in a tail spin...:(

I have yet to go (and different ship from both of you), but this sounds like bad planning specific to Liberty of the Seas (i.e. silly to put loud speakers in the same location as a meal geared to kids). Perhaps wait to book until onboard Harmony and then check it out on the first day sea day to see if it will work for your grandson? You "can" pre-book but you can wait until onboard too (assuming it doesn't sell out)

Edited by LuCruise

We did it free years ago when it was free. I remember the food being different from the usual - lots of fun chocolate stuff. That said, we will not do it on our trip in May due to the cost. Not worth a surcharge, in my opinion, unless the kid(s) are really excited about it. The dreamworks characters are accessible in other places as well on the ship....

Did the character breakfast on the Oasis summer of 2014. Was not impressed and would not do again, or recommend.

Characters were rushed through from table to table, with very little time to take pictures. Had a 10-year-old, 7 and 5 year-olds plus three adults at the table. Truly rushed and very unorganized. Had spoken with staff ahead of time and explained it was the 7-year-olds birthday. They indicated they would announce, sing happy birthday, etc. - never happened - when questioned they said they forgot, and didn't have time.

Food also arrived at the exact same time as the characters and was cold.

Whole experience was crowded and rushed. Would not recommend.

i have yet to go (and different ship from both of you), but this sounds like bad planning specific to liberty of the seas (i.e. Silly to put loud speakers in the same location as a meal geared to kids). Perhaps wait to book until onboard harmony and then check it out on the first day sea day to see if it will work for your grandson? You "can" pre-book but you can wait until onboard too (assuming it doesn't sell out)

thank you!!!!:d

You are welcome. My son is also Autistic and the noise was definitely something that I wish that I had known before hand.

Also to clarify for others the speakers on Freedom were set up as part of the show. They were playing music that went with the dances along with announcing the characters and such. For most families it will be fine, but for others it can be a nightmare.

There are plenty of character meet & greet opportunities and at least on our cruise there never seemed to be more than 2-3 families in line at a time, which was a big difference from our cruises on Disney where you would often wait 20-30 minutes to see a character. Many times we would just see a character standing around with no one visiting. This was great because it was a chance to actually interact a lot more than the typical photo op. DS loved dancing with Gloria the Hippo.

One more opinion here; we just did it Saturday morning on Freedom. Like the other poster said, although the compass said 7:45a we were among the last to get there at that time, and were seated further from the action. My 7-yr old girl thought it was ok, but neither of us ate the food (cold/rubbery). I felt like we had enough time with the characters, who were Fiona, Puss in Boots and Po, but we were pretty worn out by Saturday and would have preferred a lazier morning!

You are welcome. My son is also Autistic and the noise was definitely something that I wish that I had known before hand.

Also to clarify for others the speakers on Freedom were set up as part of the show. They were playing music that went with the dances along with announcing the characters and such. For most families it will be fine, but for others it can be a nightmare.

There are plenty of character meet & greet opportunities and at least on our cruise there never seemed to be more than 2-3 families in line at a time, which was a big difference from our cruises on Disney where you would often wait 20-30 minutes to see a character. Many times we would just see a character standing around with no one visiting. This was great because it was a chance to actually interact a lot more than the typical photo op. DS loved dancing with Gloria the Hippo.

This is nice to know..We did the Disney cruise and YES the long lines and long waits for autistic children were brutal. We let him play and do other things while Pop Pop stood in lie for 45 minutes to almost an hour. (CRAZY) Once he was closer we joined him and posing with Mickey was a sight to behold. Kinda worth the wait to see him smile like that. We remembered how terrified he use to be of the large characters. I hope he will have an equally positive experience on the Harmony...Wonder if they would ever consider a quiet character breakfast for children with special needs to enjoy;)