Deeply Disappointing

She actually only stayed on for about 5 or 10 minutes before her light went off....so I highly doubt it. IMO.....AND IMO ONLY.......when a NEW member starts a thread ......they have NO idea that you have to hit the refresh button to see responses. Therefore, she signed off after a few moments thinking no one was responding. She is not computer savvy, or she NEVER would have used her email address as her screen name.

I beg your pardon but it is not necessary to "Sign On" to Cruise Critic to read the Forums, Threads, Posts etc. To post yes, to access the Roll Calls yes but to read the posts no. Simply pulling up Cruise Critic from the browser allows "read only"access to the Boards

The O.P. can easily follow the thread, but may simply not have anything further to add, therefore no reason to sign onto Cruise Critic.

I am also not sure why in this case they should be required to pay to see the doctor when the seizure would resolve on its own.

And for what it is worth, I am married to a neurologist. He would also question how the cruise line handled this.

If you are really married to a neurologist, you should know that seizures DON'T always resolve on their own. Have you heard of status epilepticus? And of course since the father refused to let the doctor examine the daughter or take a history, the doctor had no way of determining how severe her epilepsy actually is.

To the OP, who probably won't come back...epilepsy IS a disease. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, but it IS a disease.

the med staff on board DOES NOT KNOW the history. and since Dad refused to let his child be examined so that said Staff could GET a History as well as determine there were enough meds, they were WELL within their rights to refuse boarding.

really? prejudicial treatment? if I went through life like that I would never leave the house. you can choose to EDUCATE people( the only time I don't hate kids is when they respectfully and honestly ask me why I am in the chair) or you can choose to get offended every time someone looks at you funny or makes a disparaging comment.

again if they never informed special needs area do time that was on them. I am sure it was a rookie mistake, it's one of those things that is so normal and every day to you that you forget that in another situation it is quite a different matter altogether. so I cannot shake my finger and sternly chastise the father/family if they did not. chalk it up as a lesson learned.

as for the attitude of the doctor, well as has been stated none of us were there, all we have is third and forth hand accounts which we all know are going to be biased. but what about the attitude of the father? was he belligerent and uncooperative?

I think it's safe to assume that he probably was. But of course, the OP forgot to mention that part.

Nobody on CC uses their email address for their screen name except the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not really but it still has nothing to do with the content of the post.

If you are really married to a neurologist, you should know that seizures DON'T always resolve on their own. Have you heard of status epilepticus? And of course since the father refused to let the doctor examine the daughter or take a history, the doctor had no way of determining how severe her epilepsy actually is.

To the OP, who probably won't come back...epilepsy IS a disease. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, but it IS a disease.

I would think that her husband, the neurologist, would be savy enough to want to hear the physician side of the story before making that sort of an assessment based on a disgruntled third party's version of the facts.

There are a few People who used their email as Screen Name.

I have to agree with what many others have said here as well. The most likely reason for the removal from the ship were not the seizures but the refusal to let the dr. do his/her Job.

Sorry no sympathy from me for the OP in this case.

I am sorry to read that the medical staff, as well as others that work for RCCL, seemed so inhuman to you and family.

I remember many years ago when a lady I knew, had these bad seizures too, but I know we have come a long way since then.

Perhaps (I haven't read all the postings) there was the circumstances, or the conversation wasn't related to others, as it should have been.

I hope one way or another, things got cleared up, or will get cleared up.

I am sorry to read that the medical staff, as well as others that work for RCCL, seemed so inhuman to you and family.

I remember many years ago when a lady I knew, had these bad seizures too, but I know we have come a long way since then.

Perhaps (I haven't read all the postings) there was the circumstances, or the conversation wasn't related to others, as it should have been.

I hope one way or another, things got cleared up, or will get cleared up.

You SHOULD read all of the posts before posting. It helps.

I believe that the only crew member whose presence is required for the ship to sail is the ship's doctor. If the doctor is not allowed to examine a patient with a known, witnessed medical problem, the severity of which could be life-threatening, the doctor has good cause to notify the captain, who then has good cause to deny sailing to that passenger.

Sounds like the doctor here did her duty. She might or might not have been rude to the patient and her father, but while any rudeness is unfortunate, it is immaterial.

I do have sympathy for original poster. It seems to me that the situation wasn't explained clearly to Father in necessity for examining the daughter. Just give me $200 to examine your daughter when the father already new what was wrong with the daughter, and had spent many years looking after her. That responsibility is on the doctor to explain the reason why she needed to be examined.

It's reasonable to assume that if the father knew the daughter had to be examined to be able to sail, someone would pay up (and be annoyed). It has been reported by the poster that the father was asked for $200, without any explanation, and then they were kicked off.

Let's not pretend that this is the first ever complaint we have heard about medical staff on board, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that it went down as it was described by poster.

I do have sympathy for original poster. It seems to me that the situation wasn't explained clearly to Father in necessity for examining the daughter. Just give me $200 to examine your daughter when the father already new what was wrong with the daughter, and had spent many years looking after her. That responsibility is on the doctor to explain the reason why she needed to be examined.

It's reasonable to assume that if the father knew the daughter had to be examined to be able to sail, someone would pay up (and be annoyed). It has been reported by the poster that the father was asked for $200, without any explanation, and then they were kicked off.

Let's not pretend that this is the first ever complaint we have heard about medical staff on board, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that it went down as it was described by poster.

We don't know what was or was not said to the father. How can you conclude that there was no clear explanation?

The only thing "not clear" is the original post.

The medical facility does not ASK for money. The charges are posted to your seapass account. If he did not agree with the charges he had all week to take it up with management on the ship. So since that part of the story is pretty clearly inaccurate why should I, or anyone else, give any credence to the rest of the story? Again, nothing but an emotionally charged HALF of a story from a disgruntled third party who was not even there.

Edited by Ocean Boy

While the family described the seizures as "small," this is a relative term. What is small to them may look terrifying to someone who has never witnessed a true seizure. Something happened that required them to be in the medical center in the first place. Therefore, the doctor has a duty to assess the patient. When the father refused this assessment, he left the doctor with no choice but to refuse passage. The OP says they didn't look at her medical ID bracelet, medications or history. That is all part of the assessment. I'm sorry this happened, but can completely understand the ship's perspective. I'm sure, in hindsight, $200 to be assessed would have been a LOT cheaper than staying in San Juan for seven nights!

I run cruises for people with two different (invisible) illnesses, and have no concerns about bringing them on RCCL. We work with both our sales rep and the special needs department to ensure all of our needs are met. This includes special boarding since most of our travelers can walk, but cannot stand for extended periods of time. We also work with the cruise line to ensure the medical staff AND the staff in the spa knows how to work with our people.

Not yet, 54 in August.

Ahh...still a baby! ;)

My doctor always uses that saying...."Well looks like you went out and

had another birthday"....his way of saying my body is starting to show it's age.

As in vision failing, hearing failing, and memory....hmmm....

now what was it I was saying and what did I read??!! :p :p