TSA Pre-check!

bigsky

I can't wait to test & clear Customs on our upcoming Oasis cruise. Will by-pass thousands of Paxs.

Is this possible with a cruise or just at the airport?

Has anyone used their Global Entry pass yet? What is the process for by-passing customs at the airport?

We were going to apply for the TSA Pre-check but might switch.

Thanks.

I received an e-mail the next day of applying and paying the $100 fee via credit card with instructions to make appointment with Custom Agents for an interview. Also, included was my GE number.

At Newark Airport, they schedule interviews at 20 minutes interval. Was able to get the interview at Newark airport within a week--could have gotten an earlier time, but it was for 8pm or later. Went to the 7:45am appointment and was waiting while enjoying a Duncan Doughnuts coffee with a free doughnut, thanks to AARP.

There must have been cancellations (rainy) as we were taken in at 7am. Presented passport & driver's license, plus letter acknowledging approval for the program. Agent took my picture, but had a difficult time getting my fingerprints, sometimes to press hard and other time to press easier--I think it was a bad machine.

The entire process took less than 10 minutes and was told that I was approved and I would be getting an e-mail confirming. Was told that the card would be delivered within 3-4 weeks--surprised that it was in our possession within 1.5 wks. So I'm ready, although I could have used the acknowledging letter with the # if needed.

Is this possible with a cruise or just at the airport?

Has anyone used their Global Entry pass yet? What is the process for by-passing customs at the airport?

We were going to apply for the TSA Pre-check but might switch.

Thanks.

You don't bypass customs, you are able to go through the Global Entry self serve kiosks. You basically get to bypass the long line. I've used it once returning through LAX. It only took about 5 minutes.

Am I understanding Global Entry requirements correct that it is not available for minors?

I'd love to do it, but since we have a minor, it wouldn't make sense to sign up the adults as we wouldn't leave DD to fend for herself in the regular line.

But if I misread the instructions and it is available for minors.....it would be great...

You don't bypass customs, you are able to go through the Global Entry self serve kiosks. You basically get to bypass the long line. I've used it once returning through LAX. It only took about 5 minutes.

Can you please elaborate further as to the process. Passport & declaration form as an example.

Don't see how it will make it going through Customs quicker when getting off a a ship.

How do you plan on getting in front of everyone in line? It's not like you are going to have a card or anything for when clearing a ship?

Jimbo:)

Global Entry gets you to the front of the line.

Am I understanding Global Entry requirements correct that it is not available for minors?

I'd love to do it, but since we have a minor, it wouldn't make sense to sign up the adults as we wouldn't leave DD to fend for herself in the regular line.

But if I misread the instructions and it is available for minors.....it would be great...

I know that the Nexus card which is part of the GE program is available for minors as both our kids have their card. It is free for those under 18.

Global entry in airports are a separate line with self serv kiosks. You Skan your passport, finger prints. It prints out a receipt usually checked by a CBP officer manning the kiosks.

After that you join the line in customs when you receive your baggage. Global entry has nothing to do with a fast pass through customs. After immigration you join everyone else.

I have no idea how it works at cruise ports.

Global entry in airports are a separate line with self serv kiosks. You Skan your passport, finger prints. It prints out a receipt usually checked by a CBP officer manning the kiosks.

After that you join the line in customs when you receive your baggage. Global entry has nothing to do with a fast pass through customs. After immigration you join everyone else.

I have no idea how it works at cruise ports.

At cruise ports (Ft. Lauderdale) you get to go straight to the front of the line for customs. It saves a ton of time.

Love Pre-Check and when mine expires will probably go with GE. Recent experience has been at non-peak times the PC line can be longer than the non-PC line, so you can just pick and choose which line you think might be faster.

However, you have to factor in being in non-PC with less experienced travelers who somehow forget to remove items; it seems PC is still faster. Sort of like jumping the line at the super market, it never seems to work out.

It was based on your FF status, which I think was just a ploy by TSA to foster interest. Well it worked for me, I bought mine after a couple of trips just to make sure I had it on all my airlines and not just my FF airlines.

I enrolled in TSA Pre-Check several years ago and then someone in my friend's agency's travel office suggested we enroll in Global Entry as well and I did. Used Pre-Check on the way TO Barcelona (in 2014) and no problems we skipped through the strip tease line. Then I took a trip with some pals down to the DR last December and SW assured us before we flew that there would be no problems and our TSA Pre-check would be indicated on our boarding passes, and it was noted in our reservations. Unfortunately when we got to BWI thinking we were going to skip the strip tease line, SW informed us AT THAT TIME that they were unable to process our TSA Pre-check. It wasn't us, it was their system? I forget now. I just remember no Pre-Check or Global Entry line at SW's gate at BWI that morning although the TSA Pre-Check appeared on our boarding passes.

On our return to the States, we were able to skip that customs re-entry line at BWI, waltzed over to the Global Entry computer terminal in front of the line, scanned our passports and fingerprints, and we were through that line in seconds. One in our party refused to enroll in either program:rolleyes: :rolleyes: and we ended up waiting for him for 15 mins to get through the line.:mad:

My advice is to harangue the airlines to make sure your reservations and boarding passes indicate TSA Pre-check and/or Global Entry enrollment, whichever you have. Enroll in Global Entry if you haven't enrolled in either program yet.

ps - We usually fly American out of Reagan National in DC (which I prefer to BWI or Dulles) and I've never had a problem with my TSA Pre-Check there.

Edited by SailyaCruise

Global Entry gets you to the front of the line.

Exactly. Especially if you are a world traveler, Global Entry is the way to go. To be honest, if you're not a world traveler it's still worth it in my opinion since it's only $15 more than TSA PreCheck. So, for a little more you have the ability to get to the front of the line at cruise terminals or get right through customs using the kiosks at airports (not sure if cruise terminals have the kiosks yet). It is a huuuuuge time saver.

Small group of us will be on the Harmony in Dec 2016. We plan on flying Jet Blue down to FLL. I don't know which takes longer: watching grass grow or waiting for Jet Blue's December flight schedule to come out. I'm a bit manic about flights, and I'm hoping no surprises at check-in and all goes smoothly with Jet Blue and TSA Pre-Check this time.

But whatever, I'll be on the Harmony so no worries!:D

Exactly. Especially if you are a world traveler, Global Entry is the way to go. To be honest, if you're not a world traveler it's still worth it in my opinion since it's only $15 more than TSA PreCheck. So, for a little more you have the ability to get to the front of the line at cruise terminals or get right through customs using the kiosks at airports (not sure if cruise terminals have the kiosks yet). It is a huuuuuge time saver.

You are absolutely right.

I think you are confusing customs with immigration at airports. Global entry will only be useful if you are entering the US from an international destination. No advantage for regional flight.

At immigration you will go to a GE kiosk and beat the long immigration lines. You will still have to line up with everyone else in customs . I have never seen an express GE Line in customs and I travel quite often.

Have used Global entry at both Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) and San Juan when getting off a ship. No kiosks, you need to look carefully for the GE line as there are not many signs. Just show them your GE card and they put you in a separate line that gets you thru in a matter of minutes.

I think you are confusing customs with immigration at airports. Global entry will only be useful if you are entering the US from an international destination.

Right again. I know I remember Global Entry helped us tremendously on our returns to the States. TSA Pre-Check was useful on flights within the States.

You may have seen national news that our MSP airport consolidated 6 security check points down to 2 check points. Lines extend out the doors and some security times are up to 90 minutes!?! We had Pre Check and went through in 3 minutes.

We did enroll in TSA Pre Check last year and went through the fingerprinting, interview and $85 for five years.

We now get Pre Check every time. However, many airports and many airlines do not participate in the program. Also, many of the responses in this board are from people age 75 or over, who are getting by without taking off belts, shoes, etc., so that should be in your perspective.

Our latest at SJU for our return from the southern itinerary on RCI Adventure we were the ONLY people in the Pre Check line.

Prior to this, and to those of you that previously got random, free Pre Check, those days ARE OVER! Increased security requires vetting of all Pre Check passengers now; pay up or stand in line. Brussels, etc...

When making airline reservations, don't forget to enter your trusted traveler number if they ask for it. But, from time to time, we will get non TSA Precheck boarding cards and be forced to go through security with the huddled masses. ;-)

One time, there was a shortage of TSA agents and the TSA Precheck line was shut down. Makes one appreciate TSA Precheck and not to take it for granted.

When we applied for Global Entry, we found that DW has such thin fingerprints, that the kiosk does not read them. so it rejects her with a big 'X' on the kiosk receipt and she has to go to an agent to get approved. Even with that, Global Entry, with the included TSA Precheck, is a winner at $100 per person for 5 years.

My husband and I have an appointment on the 1st to finish the process (fingerprinting and payment of fees) for the TSA PreCheck (KTN). Not sure if I want to go with the Global entry. While we will be coming into the US from Vancouver on our return from our Alaska cruise, not sure if we need to have this for any other reason. We have no other trips planned right now that takes us outside of the US. I'll bring it up to my husband and see what he thinks.

FYI - I could not find any information on the timing on the TSA Pre-Check FAQ Site. Can someone let me know does it take 4/6/8 + or how many weeks after submitting everything to get the KTN?

Thanks.

I would pay the extra $15 for it, anyway, especially if you live reasonably close to an airport where you would have your GE interview. That way if you decide in a couple of years to travel to other international destinations, you will be good to go.

When flying to the US from Vancouver, you clear US immigration before you go through security, and those lines can be quite long and slow-moving. There's a separate line for GE/NEXUS that lets you do your customs declaration, spits out a receipt and puts you at the front of the queue for meeting with an immigration official (at least that's how it worked in 2014). I've also seen kiosks for regular pax to do some of their paperwork before they get to the line, but have never used one, so don't know how it works.

We've had GE since 2012 and switched to NEXUS a couple of years ago because it adds expedited entry to Canada (it's only $50 for 5 years, but it's not worth the travel to a border point for the interview just for that, lol). It's a great program for domestic and international travel alike.:)

Can you please elaborate further as to the process. Passport & declaration form as an example.

You still need your passport. You scan that at the kiosk along with having your fingerprints scanned and photo taken. The kiosk electronically compares this to the photo and fingerprints on file from your GE interview. You do not have to complete the customs declaration form they give you on the flight. You answer the questions at the kiosk.

For anyone living close to one of the Canadian border crossings you could apply for a Nexus card as it gives you all the advantages of Global Entry as well as TSA Pre check. The advantage is that it costs only $50 for 5 years.

Why do you have to live near the border?

The airlines had been free to give their frequent flyers TSA Pre check if they wanted to. However, I read a couple of weeks ago that TSA is now going to stop allowing them to do that and you will only get that designation if you've been approved for the program by registering.

Definitely worth the $85. It's saved us a good bit of time getting through security especially at the bigger busier airports.