New to Dawn...could use some answers:-D

michalskid

My husband and I are going on the Eastern Caribbean trip for 10 days next Wednesday!!! This is our first cruise on NCL as we have been on Carnival before.

I had some questions that I was hoping you guys could contribute your experiences and ideas:-)

- How far in advance can you make reservations to the restaurants?

- Are there alcohol cards or are we responsible for paying for our drinks with cash? I have seen something about a bar hoppers card?

-Are there irons in our cabins or can room service provide these?

-Have you stayed in a mini suite? How are they? roomy?

Honestly, how bad is embarking? I need to prepare my husband for the waiting and lines if it will be too bad:-D

Any other advice you would like to share would be great! This is my husband first cruise so I want him to enjoy it because i Want to go on another one in the future, lol!!

Thanks in advance!

- You can make your restaurant reservations upon boarding. There is a booking desk in the atrium upon boarding and most days. You can also phone.

- I do not know of a bar hoppers or alcohol card, but all onboard purchases, including drinks, are paid for with your room key. It's a cashless society, until debarkation.

- Irons are not allowed in cabins, but there are irons and ironing tables in the self serve laundries on the ship. No charge for washers, dryers, or irons. You do have to pay for detergent, unless you have your own.

- I have not been in a mini suite, only insides and balconies. Carnival insides and balconies are larger on their newer ships.

- In September, I breezed through embarkation using the Latitudes line. There were lines in the non Latutudes. Others may be of more help here, but the lines are probably about the same as on Carnival. Your wait in line is also influenced by the time that you arrive at the pier.

Have fun.

My husband and I are going on the Eastern Caribbean trip for 10 days next Wednesday!!! This is our first cruise on NCL as we have been on Carnival before.

I had some questions that I was hoping you guys could contribute your experiences and ideas:-)

- How far in advance can you make reservations to the restaurants?

- Are there alcohol cards or are we responsible for paying for our drinks with cash? I have seen something about a bar hoppers card?

Honestly, how bad is embarking? I need to prepare my husband for the waiting and lines if it will be too bad:-D

Any other advice you would like to share would be great! This is my husband first cruise so I want him to enjoy it because i Want to go on another one in the future, lol!!

Most of the ala carte places are booked the same day. Thereis someonein the main lobby area from 9 am to 5 pm. After 5 pm, you have to call the place directly.

There is a bar hoppers card. Get a drink in all the bars and get a freebie. There is also a bucket of either domestic or imported beer. Basically, buy 5 and get the 6th free.

I not sure if there's an iron. call NCl and ask for customer service.

embarkation is a fairly easy once you get inside. I usually avoid dropping my luggage with the teamsters. it takes awahile to get them delivered to your cabin. I strongly suggest getting dropped off on 12th ave and 47 street vs. having your driver get you to the pier.

the line that is the longest is getting through the initial security check point. Everyone is squeezed though this one door. There are usually 2 or sometimes just one guard checking your tickets. The longest I stood on that line was 15 minutes. The next line to to go through the x-ray machine. That's another 10 minutes. Getting to the check in desk for your cabin card is another 15 minutes.

The fastest I ever had went from street to cabin on the dawn was 50 minutes.

Bring an extra powerstrip since there is only one outlet. Also bring an adapter since the outlet may be only a two prong outlet.

Also bring your own soap and shampoo. The dawn's as too watery for us.

fish and chips everyday at 6 pm at the pub is not to be missed.

have a great time! I wish i was going with you!

I'm going on the same cruise next week too!! can't wait! It will also be my first time on the Dawn, although it will be our 4th cruise. I'm anxious to get on the ship, but it sure helps to have other people give some insight from their experiences. Thanks!:)

Michalskid,

How far in advance can you make reservations to the restaurants?

1. You only have to make dinner reservations for the Specialty Rest.; LeBistro (charge), Cagney's (charge), Bamboo (charge), La Trattoria (free), Salsa (free). They usually give discounts for the first two days at the "charge" restaurants. There are 3 main rest., Venetian, Aqua & Impressions. There is a 24 hour fast food,; Blue lagoon and the buffet in the Garden Cafe. All restaurants are open from 5:30pm-12:00am. You have to be seated by 10:00pm. Servings are small, but you can have all you want, just ask!

2. You will pay for drinks with your room card & 15% gratutity will be added. Bring a bottle opener for beer buckets, buy 5 get 1 free.

3. There are washer & dryers & irons on deck 9 & 10 aft. Ask your cabin steward. Bring some laundry soap.

4. Mini-suites are better than any Be-BA balcony & you have concierge service. He can make you dinner reservations for you.

5. Embarking isn't that bad. Have sailed 3 times this year on the Dawn and going back for a 4th in December. Longest wait was 45 minutes. Shortest was 15 minutes. Get there around 11:30-11:45am. Have your tickets, ID, credit card & Tortola Immigration Cards filled out and signed. Makes for an easy check in.

6. When you get to your cabin, find your "Freestyle Daily and head to the Venetion, deck 7 aft, for your first lunch on the Dawn. Skip the buffet, that's where the newbies go. While at lunch, check out what's going on for that day and try to plan what you will do. Take a stroll around the ship and get your bearings. It's a big ship.

You're going to love the Dawn:)

Happy Sailing,

Monty

I'm glad to hear the embarkation has gotten better on The Dawn. We took the 11 day exotic Southern Caribbean cruise in January '04, and it was an absolute nightmare. It took us over 3 hours to finally get through the line and onto the ship. When we got to our cabin, the key card wouldn't work, causing another delay. By the time someone arrived to let us in, it was time for the muster and no time to eat. We were tired, hungry, and angry by this time and were ready to tell them to shove the trip. It was pretty distressing.

We ended up having a great time and have decided to give the Dawn another try. We leave on 11/10. I'm hoping they've changed some of their staff by now. I wasn't impressed by a few of them last trip.

Thanks in advance!

Michalskid...

Looks like you lucked-out!

You are the only ship sailing out of PONY that day! (10/19 correct)?

Embarkation should be a BREEZE providing the Dawn arrives back on-time.

Check the bridge-cam in the AM to be sure the Dawn has docked.

I get the "keeping it easy" for DH....I do the same so that he will cruise again!!

Have a wonderful cruise:)

I noticed you used Latitudes lines? I went on the Dawn last year, so am now a latitude member, but am traveling with 3 companions who are new to Norwegian. Would they be allowed to line up with me? If not, we will need to stick together in the non-latitude crowd. Thanks for all of the info!

Hi Pam,

My husband and I are Latitude memb. and my son & his wife are coming with us and they are not. I was told that they will be able to go thru the Latitude line with us with no problems. Talk to you soon.

Helen

I noticed you used Latitudes lines? I went on the Dawn last year, so am now a latitude member, but am traveling with 3 companions who are new to Norwegian. Would they be allowed to line up with me? If not, we will need to stick together in the non-latitude crowd. Thanks for all of the info!

I'm going on the same cruise next week too!! can't wait! It will also be my first time on the Dawn, although it will be our 4th cruise. I'm anxious to get on the ship, but it sure helps to have other people give some insight from their experiences. Thanks!:)

Hi missrachelj,

We have a Roll call going, maybe you would like to join in for the last few days. We are also having a cruise critic get together. If your interested in the get together, please let me know. NCL 10-19-05 Dawn Roll Call. Talk to you soon.:) Only 4 days to sailing.

Helen

On a previous cruise that John and I were on last year sailing the Mediterranean on the Dream, we were able to keep in touch with the home front by purchasing computer time at the internet café.

This time John is bringing his laptop with wireless capabilities, does anyone know what the charges might be to get onto the network? Thanks

Helen:)

It seems each ship charges differently, and also on the same ship depending on where it is crusing. I wouldn't hazard to guess on what each ship charges.

If you need to stay in touch frequently, buy a package because they offer the best rates. If infrequently, just buy web time as you go.

On a previous cruise that John and I were on last year sailing the Mediterranean on the Dream, we were able to keep in touch with the home front by purchasing computer time at the internet café.

This time John is bringing his laptop with wireless capabilities, does anyone know what the charges might be to get onto the network? Thanks

Helen:)

Same as the Internet Café. As posted best way to buy a package. The laptop will save minutes since you can prepare emails off line and then login and send.

Here are the rates for all NCL ships it is in fact the same on every cruise and every ship:

http://www.ncl.com/more/internet_cafe.htm

250 minutes $100

100 minutes $55

33 minutes $25

Wow! 75 cents per minute, that's very expensive!

As I wrote before, buy a package.

That's why it is always good to find an onshore café or hot spot. I did not have that option on the transatlantic but was able to download and send mail twice a day and paste my posts here on the 10 day transatlantic and still have ten minute remaining of the 250 I purchased.

Watch for specials I think I got an extra 25 minutes for signing up the first 24 hours.

Archived