Cellular at Sea?

bostonlass

Hi - we got the unlimited internet package. I have an iPhone 6plus and had cellular "off" and wifi "on". Didn't think I needed to do anything else and went on Facebook, etc.

Later on in the evening I got a call from a family member because my dad had a heart attack. Since then I noticed that my phone said on the top "cellular at sea". Is that why the call came through? I don't understand this at all and tomorrow is our day at sea so don't want to call anyone to find out if I have to take a second mortgage out to pay this next cellphone bill.

Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks in advance and I'll check back tomorrow to read responses.

Edited by bostonlass

Sorry to hear about your news, but I wouldn't stress. It will set you back a few dollars in the worst case. A few different scenarios...your carrier name will still appear even with cellular data turned off. In this case your 'carrier' is Cellular At Sea. The call could have come through FaceTime Audio or Wifi Calling if you have it enabled also. Cellular data being off doesn't prevent your phone from receiving cellular calls. Your recent call list would show if it came through as a FaceTime call. I'm not sure about other providers but AT&T and Verizon's pay as you go rate is only about $2 or $2.50 a minute if the call did happen to come through as a cell call. No second mortgage needed!

Hi - we got the unlimited internet package. I have an iPhone 6plus and had cellular "off" and wifi "on". Didn't think I needed to do anything else and went on Facebook, etc.

Later on in the evening I got a call from a family member because my dad had a heart attack. Since then I noticed that my phone said on the top "cellular at sea". Is that why the call came through? I don't understand this at all and tomorrow is our day at sea so don't want to call anyone to find out if I have to take a second mortgage out to pay this next cellphone bill.

Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks in advance and I'll check back tomorrow to read responses.

My guess is that when you turned cellular off, you only turned cellular data off, but not cellular voice calls. If you want no cellular access at all, then put the phone into Airplane Mode, and then turn on WiFi. This will totally limit the phone to WiFi communications, and there will be no cellular charges at all.

Edited by clarea

Sorry to hear about your news, but I wouldn't stress. It will set you back a few dollars in the worst case. A few different scenarios...your carrier name will still appear even with cellular data turned off. In this case your 'carrier' is Cellular At Sea. The call could have come through FaceTime Audio or Wifi Calling if you have it enabled also. Cellular data being off doesn't prevent your phone from receiving cellular calls. Your recent call list would show if it came through as a FaceTime call. I'm not sure about other providers but AT&T and Verizon's pay as you go rate is only about $2 or $2.50 a minute if the call did happen to come through as a cell call. No second mortgage needed!

Correct, AT&T is $2.50 a minute without a cruise voice plan. It's data that will kill you as they charge by the kilobyte.

Thanks everyone! I set it on airplane mode. Lesson learned. My sister can still get to me via Facebook and since we are at sea there is nothing I can do so off to spend some $$$ 😁

You're welcome and Happy Cruising!

I hope your Dad is OK and you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.;)

I wish someone would post an iPhone diagram (to show what to turn on and off) for those like me that don't know what to do with their cell phone when traveling overseas. I use my phone for camera taking and emergencies. I have purchased the Verizon overseas plan before, but was afraid to turn my phone on for more than a few seconds.

On our next trip, I will get the plan again from Verizon, but don't really know how to set the phone. :o Yes, I have talked to Global and read all about it, but still really confused. I need a visual! :D We need to be in touch with our friends from Germany, while we are in Amsterdam, so my phone needs to be able to receive the calls.

Edited by Iamthesea

........I wish someone would post an iPhone diagram (to show what to turn on and off) for those like me that don't know what to do with their cell phone when traveling overseas. I use my phone for camera taking and emergencies. I have purchased the Verizon overseas plan before, but was afraid to turn my phone on for more than a few seconds.

On our next trip, I will get the plan again from Verizon, but don't really know how to set the phone. :o Yes, I have talked to Global and read all about it, but still really confused. I need a visual! :D We need to be in touch with our friends from Germany, while we are in Amsterdam, so my phone needs to be able to receive the calls.

I understand your frustration ...... especially after I did a youtube search trying to find a video on how to do this. However, I did find a link to Sprint showing how to do this on your Verizon iPhone (I assume it is a 6 series).

First: Big Picture ...... you have to get an international roaming plan from Verizon. You want voice and data. For your purposes, get the cheapest one (lowest cost per minute for an international call, most data for the price).

When you do this, you are using your device to connect to international service providers that have an agreement with Verizon to carry voice and data in the region you are within (Germany). When you set up your device like the link instructs you to, you will automatically connect to an approved service provider in Germany (I think it is Vodophone) at the voice and data rates you agreed to with Verizon.

When you are docked, take your phone out of the Airplane Mode (I assume you know how to do this), follow the steps in the video to connect internationally and go to a place where signal reception is good. Your phone will automatically connect but it might take a few minutes to do so. In the left hand, upper corner of your phone, you'll see the service provider icon/letters and you'll also see LTE or 4G (your data connection). Your set.

You have to get used to dialing internationally too. That, alone, can be frustrating. Your dialing starts with an international dialing code for the country you are dialing to. e.g., in the US it is +1 followed by a 3 digit area code followed by a 7 digit number. The international dialing code in Germany is 0 followed by an 11 to 15 digit number.

Some might offer the suggestion that you get a SIM card for a service provider in country or from an international provider (gets way complicated with dialing) and stick it in your phone (easy). For the time you will be there, you are much better off (it's easier) to add an international voice and data plan to your existing plan with Verizon.

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/International-data-roaming-device-settings-Apple-iPhone-6-128-GB/WScenario_542_55998_771_en_1927-dvc8320007prd

I hope your Dad is OK and you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.;)

I wish someone would post an iPhone diagram (to show what to turn on and off) for those like me that don't know what to do with their cell phone when traveling overseas. I use my phone for camera taking and emergencies. I have purchased the Verizon overseas plan before, but was afraid to turn my phone on for more than a few seconds.

Switch off data roaming and you will be fine.

BTW - we purchased passport plan from Verizon and it was better than X internet. It includes 100 minutes and 100 messages for $40 dollars

Edited by cruza

I understand your frustration ...... especially after I did a youtube search trying to find a video on how to do this. However, I did find a link to Sprint showing how to do this on your Verizon iPhone (I assume it is a 6 series).

First: Big Picture ...... you have to get an international roaming plan from Verizon. You want voice and data. For your purposes, get the cheapest one (lowest cost per minute for an international call, most data for the price).

When you do this, you are using your device to connect to international service providers that have an agreement with Verizon to carry voice and data in the region you are within (Germany). When you set up your device like the link instructs you to, you will automatically connect to an approved service provider in Germany (I think it is Vodophone) at the voice and data rates you agreed to with Verizon.

When you are docked, take your phone out of the Airplane Mode (I assume you know how to do this), follow the steps in the video to connect internationally and go to a place where signal reception is good. Your phone will automatically connect but it might take a few minutes to do so. In the left hand, upper corner of your phone, you'll see the service provider icon/letters and you'll also see LTE or 4G (your data connection). Your set.

You have to get used to dialing internationally too. That, alone, can be frustrating. Your dialing starts with an international dialing code for the country you are dialing to. e.g., in the US it is +1 followed by a 3 digit area code followed by a 7 digit number. The international dialing code in Germany is 0 followed by an 11 to 15 digit number.

Some might offer the suggestion that you get a SIM card for a service provider in country or from an international provider (gets way complicated with dialing) and stick it in your phone (easy). For the time you will be there, you are much better off (it's easier) to add an international voice and data plan to your existing plan with Verizon.

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/International-data-roaming-device-settings-Apple-iPhone-6-128-GB/WScenario_542_55998_771_en_1927-dvc8320007prd

Thanks! Yes, I have the 6. And we do purchase the International plan, but still afraid to use it.

Switch off data roaming and you will be fine.

BTW - we purchased passport plan from Verizon and it was better than X internet. It includes 100 minutes and 100 messages for $40 dollars

Interesting. The free Elite minutes x 2 is plenty of Internet minutes for us. However, my brother and sister-in-law (who frequently travel with us) are not Elite, so this may appeal to them. SIL is also attached to her phone at the hip.

I have Tmobile, and it is even more confusing. Even if I use the ship's wifi, I still get charged 15.00/mb from Tmobile for using the wifi on my cell phone. Yet if I'm in Canada, Mexico, or 140 other countries, supposedly I have unlimited data. Like a previous post, I'm also too frightened to even turn it on. I kept mine in airplane mode the entire time I was on the ship. However next cruise I have a little onboard credit, and planned to purchase some internet time. I do not have an Ipad, but I do have a Kindle fire. I'm assuming I should use that for the internet?

I use my iPad only to send iMessages and email. I don't use my phone for either because it's hard to see and type on. I like it for calling and texting, though. Does the Fire have Internet capability? I have the standard Kindle for reading.

This trip when I was trying to connect to the ship internet, I turned off airplane mode since I was having such difficulty. I figured since I was far from a Verizon tower it was no problem.

Suddenly 3 texts (2 were "wrong numbers"--they were in French!) come through & I am wondering how. I realize it has connected to Cellular at Sea. I put that baby right into airplane mode!

Will I only be charged for each text (any idea how much?) or will I be charged for the time it was connected but I was not on my phone & nothing came through.

I have Tmobile, and it is even more confusing. Even if I use the ship's wifi, I still get charged 15.00/mb from Tmobile for using the wifi on my cell phone. Yet if I'm in Canada, Mexico, or 140 other countries, supposedly I have unlimited data. Like a previous post, I'm also too frightened to even turn it on. I kept mine in airplane mode the entire time I was on the ship. However next cruise I have a little onboard credit, and planned to purchase some internet time. I do not have an Ipad, but I do have a Kindle fire. I'm assuming I should use that for the internet?

I don't understand how TMobile can charge you anything if your phone is in Airplane Mode.

My phone doesn't get charged when in airplane mode, but I think I would have to turn off airplane mode when using wifi. I don't understand why I get charged at all when using the ship wifi. Yet, I can be in 140 different countries and not get charged. I just think it's very confusing..

My phone doesn't get charged when in airplane mode, but I think I would have to turn off airplane mode when using wifi. I don't understand why I get charged at all when using the ship wifi. Yet, I can be in 140 different countries and not get charged. I just think it's very confusing..

I don't know how your phone works, but all the phones I've used automatically turn off WiFi when you turn on Airplane Mode. However, if you need WiFi, you should be able to turn only WiFi back on, without turning off Airplane Mode.

Share many of the frustrations. Had elite time but connection was so slow I got tense seeing my time run outwithout bring able to use it much. Thinking of using OBC and elite discount to purchase unlimited next cruise.

Wondering how it worked for people. Do you just try to stay connected or does it keep shutting down? Was hoping that emails could load when connection better during night.

Don't want to pay and still be frustrated. ( had passport for texts in port but not at sea).

I didn't know you could be in airplane mode and still switch on the wifi!! I just assumed it stays off automatically. I will have to check this out with T-Mobile, but in answer to the question on a previous post, yes, the Kindle fires all work with wifi, to either access the internet, or stream movies from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime, etc. Very much like an Ipad or other tablet, but I went with Kindle because I am a huge reader. I also have the Kindle paperwhite for reading, I use it outside on the balcony, pool, etc. because of the glare issues with the Fire.

I don't understand how TMobile can charge you anything if your phone is in Airplane Mode.

Very simple answer,If you don't want to get charge just turn on AIRPLANE MODE.Once you turn it on that mean you won't have any CARRIER to provide you any voice and data.

A lot of people with iPhone don't know that if you use WIFI you can use iMessage to connect to who ever have iMessage from the ship to whereever the person will be.

Every time I cruise the first thing I do is turn on the AIRPLANE MODE so I don't need to worry about the extral charges from my Carrier or from the ship.

Edited by iSailor

I didn't know you could be in airplane mode and still switch on the wifi!! I just assumed it stays off automatically.....

I agree it's confusing, but you should be able to turn on WiFi even in Airplane Mode. How else would the airlines be able to sell you WiFi on your flight?;)

Very simple answer,If you don't want to get charge just turn on AIRPLANE MODE.Once you turn it on that mean you won't have any CARRIER to provide you any voice and data.

A lot of people with iPhone don't know that if you use WIFI you can use iMessage to connect to who ever have iMessage from the ship to whereever the person will be.

Every time I cruise the first thing I do is turn on the AIRPLANE MODE so I don't need to worry about the extral charges from my Carrier or from the ship.

Do you mean without a charge?

As I said before, I use iMessage to keep in contact with my children back home, but I am using my Elite WiFi minutes to do this. Still it is almost instant sending and receiving a reply (depending on the hour back home) and a lot easier than trying to send an email. One caution, sending photos through iMessage (and email for that matter) takes a long time, and almost never go through while at sea. Same goes for receiving them. You might as well delete that string of iMessaging and start a new one without photos. If you are on land, the reception is better, but I wait until I can find an Internet café.

Edited by Iamthesea

This video is horrible but it addresses most of the questions in this thread...

Do you mean without a charge?

As I said before, I use iMessage to keep in contact with my children back home, but I am using my Elite WiFi minutes to do this. Still it is almost instant sending and receiving a reply (depending on the hour back home) and a lot easier than trying to send an email. One caution, sending photos through iMessage (and email for that matter) takes a long time, and almost never go through while at sea. Same goes for receiving them. You might as well delete that string of iMessaging and start a new one without photos. If you are on land, the reception is better, but I wait until I can find an Internet café.

You still have to have a Wifi connection of some sort to get iMessages. There's no free way to accomplish that onboard.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Emergencies are important no question about that?

Did you not get a messege or prompt with your phone? you are on a carrier that FEES apply>

Did you not set that up, in your phone?

Edited by gopro63

The video above is actually pretty good. There is something important to understand about the difference between how your device receives data, voice and WIFI ..... yes, all three are different signals and in the case of voice and data that is being provided by your carrier's cellular network, they compete for bandwidth (think of your carrier's cellular net work as the pipe by which your voice and data signals are coming to your device - the pipe has a limit to how much it can carry).

WIFI (Wireless connection to a LAN or local area network) is a different signal entirely from that which you receive from your carrier's cellular network. It is delivered to your device from an ISP (Internet Service Provider) You may remember that before WIFI, to get to the world wide web, you plugged a cable into your computer. With the advent of WIFI receivers being installed in your devices (phone, tablets, desktop PCs), you can connect without a cable, (wirelessly) to a LAN.

Cellular at Sea is a voice and data network just like Verizon's, ATT's or any of the other carriers. On board WIFI - an entirely different signal - connects you to a Satellite based ISP through the ships LAN. Cellular at Sea turns on shortly after your ship leaves port and if your phone is allowed to connect to it (meaning you are not in airplane mode and/or you have not selected the off setting for your phone's data, data roaming and voice), it will connect automatically. It turns off as the ship approaches port.

Once the Cellular at Sea's voice and data network is turned off, your phone will automatically connect to the strongest voice and data signal (from a provider's cellular network's tower) available on land. Some of these signals are very strong and will connect 5 miles or more off shore. This is particularly true in countries that have just installed a new voice and data network with newer technology. Of course, you can stop this from happening by putting your phone in the airplane mode and/or turning the phone's data, data roaming and voice off in the settings area.

Conversely, if you have purchased an international plan with your home carrier and you WANT to connect to a foreign voice and data network, take the phone out of the airplane mode and/or turn the phone's data, data roaming and voice on in the settings. You are using your allotted data in your international plan (not your home data plan) when you do this and if you go over what is allotted in your international plan, it get's very expensive. If you don't have an international plan at all, it get's exorbitantly expensive

Got it? Now about WIFI. In your device's settings, there will be a button to turn WIFI on or off. This is a entirely different system than your voice and data system in your device. Remember you are allowing your device to connect to a LAN, not a cellular network for voice and data. Most devices will default to WIFI if both WIFI and data settings are set to on. If there is no WIFI signal and there is a data signal, it will connect to that. Which signal (data or WIFI) your phone is connected to will display in the top left hand corner of the display - you'll see something like 3G, 4G or LTE representing a data signal, the bar icon for voice signal strength or the fan shaped icon (WIFI) for a LAN ..... it can be the ship's LAN or a nearby Starbuck's or a hotel's WIFI. Your phone can only connect to one of those signals (Voice/Data or WIFI), not both, and you control which one in your device's settings.

If you will remember voice and data come through one pipe and WIFI via a LAN come through another, the cloud of confusion about this and your phone's settings should be easier to understand.

One more thing. The quality of your connection to either of these systems (voice/data or WIFI) depends on how many users are trying to use their pipes. In the case of WIFI, you may recall that there are times when the ship's LAN (WIFI) is really good and when it's not. It's good under two conditions: (1) the ship is in a region where Satellite coverage is good (the farther from the equator your ship is the worse it gets) and (2) how many users are trying to connect. If you understand this along with the limitations of Satellite Internet you'll stop whining about "bad" internet on Celebrity's ships).

Edited by jbuch02