Visa Gift Card

SummerXU

Can a Visa gift card be applied to my S&S bill? Not used as the main card on the account, but just applied towards my bill at Guest Services?

I feel like the obvious answer is yes, but I just want to double check.

I'm not positive but I would think the computer would see if as a visa and put a hold on it. I haven't looked but I'm sure they're is info on carnival.com.

What I would do is use the visa gift card to buy a Carnival gift card.

Edited by ryancmetzler
Typo

Here are 2 links from Carnival that should help you. We opened our account with a credit card but whenever the bill would get just a little over $100 we would go to guest services and apply a Carnival gift card so our CC was never charged.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU5NDE4NTY0L3NpZC9nUjZPU1FNbQ%3D%3D

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/568/~/forms-of-payment

You can't use a gift card to buy a gift card in stores, if you are caught both will be confiscated . Too much fraud out there.

??

Generally speaking you can't buy a GC with a GC but this is not a universal policy. I've actually done it before, in Indianapolis no less.

Never has any card been confiscated even when store policy doesn't allow it. If they ever did take my GC, I'd report them for theft.

Edited by fuddrules

Yes, we just used 2 last week to pay online on our upcoming cruise. One of them went through for the full amount of $100 with no issues, the other one had $200 on it and it would only allow us to put $170 towards the cruise. We called the visa gift card customer service to see why and were told that cruises and a few other services put a hold on 15% for 24 hours for tipping purposes. I'm not sure why the first one went through, but the other $30 remaining was available for use the next day.

You can't use a gift card to buy a gift card in stores, if you are caught both will be confiscated . Too much fraud out there.

What are you talking about? You can absolutely use a Visa gift card to buy another gift card. There is no rule or law against this, and a store "confiscating" your Visa gift card for attempting to purchase another gift card would be theft...

A Visa is a Visa in the store's eyes - they don't care.

Edited by BTHodgeman

Here are 2 links from Carnival that should help you. We opened our account with a credit card but whenever the bill would get just a little over $100 we would go to guest services and apply a Carnival gift card so our CC was never charged.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU5NDE4NTY0L3NpZC9nUjZPU1FNbQ%3D%3D

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/568/~/forms-of-payment

Yes, we just used 2 last week to pay online on our upcoming cruise. One of them went through for the full amount of $100 with no issues, the other one had $200 on it and it would only allow us to put $170 towards the cruise. We called the visa gift card customer service to see why and were told that cruises and a few other services put a hold on 15% for 24 hours for tipping purposes. I'm not sure why the first one went through, but the other $30 remaining was available for use the next day.

Ok, so the first link in the first post clearly says that Visa gift cards are accepted as a form of payment for your S&S account, but now I'm worried about the 15% hold. I guess it wouldn't really matter, because if I took the card to Guest Services on the first day, the hold would obviously clear before the end of the cruise. That in mind, though, do you think it would just be better to attempt to purchase a Carnival gift card with the Visa gift card beforehand?

If I were you OP, I would use the Visa gift card to buy a Carnival gift card and use that to apply to my S&S. You can go to carnivalgiftcards.com and get an e-card or a physical card in any amount you wish. Just process it as a Visa payment.

Yes, I agree. I think that's what I'm going to do. I had forgotten about the e-cards. Thanks for the reminder!