Jewel Class - Deck 8 vs Deck 9 Balcony - why $$ diff?

mikeyd

We will be on the NCL Jewel for a Mexican Rivera trip. When my wife called to book, they suggested a Cat BC family balcony on 9 aft starboard. We will be traveling without kids and honestly prefer to avoid kids so I am not sure why the agent selected this room.

I also learned that Deck 8 balconies are $579 vs. $649 for the Deck 9 balcony which shows the same exact square footage.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason (besides the feature of a door in our cabin which leads to another, adjacent stateroom) that Deck 9 costs more?

Also, I am thinking that the Port side would be better since we would be able to see parts of the coast on the trip south. Agree?

Edited by mikeyd

Higher deck, assuming nearly same AFT location, are often (if not always) priced higher. If paying more, I would lean toward closer to midship location for a smoother ride up & down the coast, although we had a smooth ride (that was on the Star, sister ship - deck 8).

Noise isn't an issue for deck 8 (can't recall if the AFT gift shop was relocated & became a bar/lounge ... NCL's own deck plan shown no changes - other recent cruisers can help you or do a quick search) and you are steps away from O'Sheehan (Blue Lagoon then) for 24/7 comfort food & easy walk to main/reception deck to reach other public areas.

The further back in the ship, the more motion in case of rough seas & high waves, etc. as you know. With fewer cabins on deck 8 AFT, foot traffic is less and fewer "kids" running up & down the corridor - I would take one in the area.

As for viewing the coastline, not much to see until it's coming into and close to the 3 ports.

• 4 weeks later...

Most, if not all of the balconies on Deck 8 are what they (NCL) consider an ENCLOSED balcony. A bit different than your typical balcony, so just like a reduced priced for an obstructed view, Deck 8 seems to have reduced prices for these enclosed balconies. The balcony is basically a larger window size hole cut out of the side of the ship. You still have chairs and a table, but not what the official balcony pictures show you when you look up their room types on the NCL website.

Not sure how clear this is but they are different!

Edited by Coast4Me