Alaska CRUISE FROM VANCOUVER HOTEL SUGGESTIONS

DTT

We are flying into Vancouver in June for an Alaskan cruise and won't be arriving til around 9:30 PM. Our travel agent booked us at Coastal Airport Vancouver for around $75 US. It has decent reviews and looks to be OK so we are giving it a shot!

If it's just an overnight late arrival then straight to the pier next day, airport hotel is a sensible way to go. If you have a short sightseeing window though, stay downtown - yes, it's more expensive but you will save on time as pretty much everything on most folks' Must Do lists are located downtown, or over the water in North Van with free shuttles from near the pier in the heart of downtown.

You don't want to waste a big chunk of your time coming and going from Richmond (where the airport hotels are) into Vancouver to sightsee - and unless you're happy using public transit, the cost of a cab to and from downtown easily pays the difference in cost to actually stay downtown!

The cheapest decent downtown hotel is actually less than al most all the airport ones anyway - it's just that some folks cannot seem to bring themselves to consider staying in a YWCA property even though it's consistently rated among the best local hotels in Tripadvisor etc., is in a great location, and has regular en suite double hotel rooms as well as bigger dorm type rooms with shared baths. If you wouldn't be ashamed to admit to staying there, it's a heckuva bargain at not much over US$100 a night even in peak season!

Looking for a reasonably priced Vancouver Hotel to stay prior to departure on my Alaska cruise.
If you share your cruise ship date.... we can provide a better response based on availability and the latest prices.

Also include your preferred budget.

We are flying into Vancouver in June for an Alaskan cruise and won't be arriving til around 9:30 PM. Our travel agent booked us at Coastal Airport Vancouver for around $75 US. It has decent reviews and looks to be OK so we are giving it a shot!
I stayed there recently....

• great price
  • free shuttle from the airport
  • halfway to downtown by cab... good choice for those arriving the night before the cruise and don't have time for downtown sightseeing.
  • convenient bus connections to the subway
  • one warning.... request a West or North facing room. I found the windows to the main streets can be noisy from the traffic.

Edited by xlxo

I stayed there recently....

• great price
  • free shuttle from the airport
  • halfway to downtown by cab... good choice for those arriving the night before the cruise and don't have time for downtown sightseeing.
  • convenient bus connections to the subway
  • one warning.... request a West or North facing room. I found the windows to the main streets can be noisy from the traffic.

Thanks for letting me know about your stay @ Coast and glad to hear you liked it. I would have loved to get into Vancouver earlier & stay downtown but this worked out to be the best flight for us and the 2 other couples traveling with us. I'm hoping my DH will want to come back to Alaska & we can spend longer in Vancouver next time.

Similar question... we aren't traveling until August of 2017, but will have our car and need to park it for 3 weeks while we cruise/land tour/return cruise. Do any of the hotels have a parking package available for such a long time, or would we better off just parking at the terminal by the ships? (we will have a LOT of luggage due to our son's medical needs, plus his scooter, so would likely have my husband drop off my son and I with our gear and then go park wherever we ended up).

Parking a car in downtown Vancouver for 3 weeks will cost an arm and a leg if it's permitted. Most hotels downtown charge in the mid to high 30's per night. The Rosedale is among the cheaper places at $16/night but they don't have a big parking lot, so they may not permit that length of parking. You may be cheaper parking at the long term parking at the airport and taking an accessible cab to the terminal or staying at the pan pacific (or the few others right there) that are around the cruise ship terminal.

Edited by Airportlimbo

i viewed a lot of threads about Vancouver hotels and put the following together (a lot of copy and paste from threads):

(In the end I booked Blue Horizon since that was what was available for our time period at a reasonable price). Budget and location were important to me. If I had more money- I would have liked the Fairmont or PanPacific.

HOTELS

Booking sites:

- http://www.biddingfortravel.com

- http://www.hotwire.com

(there are obviously many more- but people specifically mentioned liking these). I used Booking.com in the end.

- 30/35-minute trip to downtown from airport.

- A cab fare will run about $35

- Only 3 hotels offer a free shuttle from hotel to Canada Place and they are:

1. Best Western-Downtown on Drake St.

2. Hampton Inn

3. Executive Vintage Park Hotel

- Free shuttle isn’t necessary; as a cab fare from most downtown hotels to Canada Place is only $10 and in some cases you may even be able to walk it.

- It is very hard to find a downtown Vancouver hotel during the cruise season for much under $200 unless you bid on Priceline or use Hotwire.

- Downtown hotels near the pier offer free shuttles to Grouse/Capilano.

CRUISECRITIC and OTHER FORUMS HAVE MENTIONED/RECOMMENDED THE FOLLOWING:

Fairmont Waterfront - across the street from cruise terminal. Luggage was picked up in our hotel room and taken to the ship

Pan Pacific Hotel

Elevator ride to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

- their website prices are outrageous.

- you can get a room on Hotwire for about half the listed rates on their website. Google for how to make sure you get the Pan!

- Can call the bell desk, and ask someone to deliver bags to the cruise terminal.

Auberge Hotel

o 2 blocks to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

o No shuttle to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

o Microwave and refrigerator in every room

o central to the pier. They even provide a service of transporting the bags for you and it is a really easy walk.

Blue Horizon. 5 minute can ride to pier; they will reserve a taxi for you and assist with luggage. Very nice hotel right in the middle of everything and reasonable at around $150 US per night

o On Robson Street is convenient to the cruise terminal. It’s a 30-story hotel and every room is on a corner, so it has views in two directions with city views, the cruise ships, mountains, the bay and float planes.

o Its best to book the "Deluxe" rooms...they are on the higher floors and have been upgraded. The rooms are small but nicely done. The staff is friendly.

o Taxi to cruise terminal was less than $10.00 CA.

o A lot of shopping, entertainment, restaurants and Stanley park are all within walking distance. (or short cab ride if you don’t want to walk).

o HOHO stops in front of hotel

o Breakfast at the Hotel restaurant: full breakfast $12; small fruit dish and muffin $8. Both were good.

Hyatt on Burrard for about $150 a night. Very nice and central to a lot of dining and sightseeing options

Fairmont Pacific Rim

o 1 block to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

Delta

o 5 blocks to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

o Airport pick up available.

o Taxi to harbor will be $15.00 Cdn or $13.00 US.

Days Inn Downtown

o 2 blocks to Canada Place Cruise Terminal

Executive Hotel Le Soleil Vancouver

In downtown Vancouver near Robson Square

3 blocks from Canada Place Cruise Terminal

Hampton Inn Suites Downtown

o Robson street

o Mini kitchen

o Free internet

o Free bfast?

- Nice combination of Hampton Value and big city services (luggage storage room, concierge, luggage handlers, shuttle). Rooms were nice, modern, and clean. Breakfast was better than the Hampton average. The hotel also has a beautiful game room, exercise room, hot tub, and patio on the roof.

Taxi from airport $25. Taxi dock to Granville is 5 minutes walk. Hampton inn free shuttle to get to cruise terminal

Time Square Suites Hotel

Apartment style hotel (full kitchen, living room, bathroom AND laundry). Taxi ride to port was around $8.00.

OTHER OPTIONS:

• Landmark

• Pinnacle

• Harbourfront

• Westin Bayshore

• Le Soleil

• Marriott Pinnacle

Similar question... we aren't traveling until August of 2017, but will have our car and need to park it for 3 weeks while we cruise/land tour/return cruise. Do any of the hotels have a parking package available for such a long time, or would we better off just parking at the terminal by the ships? (we will have a LOT of luggage due to our son's medical needs, plus his scooter, so would likely have my husband drop off my son and I with our gear and then go park wherever we ended up).

There are a couple of downtown park & cruise deals, based around a week's parking. I'm sure an extension can be paid for, but as mentioned downtown is small, land is pricey, parking therefore also (almost $25 a day at the pier for cruise parking).

For a longer stay a park & cruise outside the city is going to be a better deal - offhand I can think of Accent Inns, who include 25(!) nights parking plus a shuttle to the pier for two people (should be $15 for the third person; roundtrip shuttle can be booked too but a handicap-accessible cab has room for 4 adults plus a wheelchair/scooter, so even with a bunch of stuff you should all fit in one for the return trip - ballpark $35 so less than shuttle).

Here's some parking options...

Try the Coast Plaza downtown. They have a cruise 'n stay package. We used it in March '15 for a 15 day Vancouver/Hawaii RT. Certainly won't hurt to ask if you can use it for a 21 day cruise. Was about $165.00 (CDN) with free underground parking, $25.00 restaurant food voucher, and one-way taxi to the cruise terminal, one night pre or post cruise stay included.

...VTX-Al

Edited: here is info link http://https://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/bc/vancouver/coast-plaza-hotel-and-suites/package/cruise-package/

Edited by VTX-AL

Best Western downtown on Drake is no longer a hotel - it has been taken over by a large educational group and is using about half of the rooms as student housing - they still take reservations for stays - just not part of the Best Western Chain anymore.

Cheers!

Dennis

We parked our car (8 days) in the long term lot at the airport one year. It was just a quick commute back to downtown Vancouver. Left my MIL with the kids at the hotel and only my hubby and I did the drop off.

Much more reasonable than parking downtown.