No Tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at Dockyard in 2016

njhorseman

I just saw the PowerPoint presentation of the pre-season transportation presentation held at Dockyard a couple of weeks ago. Assuming plans proceed as outlined, there are some very negative changes affecting cruise ship passengers:

No tokens will be sold at the Visitors Information Centers.

Only one day transportation passes ($19) will be sold on board cruise ships and at the Visitors Information Centers.

Direct buses to Horseshoe Bay (the "Special") will only be run if it is determined that there is insufficient capacity being provided by private carriers (taxis, mini buses, shuttles). A maximum of 6 buses will be on standby.

The ferry schedule will be "similar" to last year's.

Marine and Ports "prefers" the use of one day transportation passes over cash for the ferries.

Overall, this flat-out stinks. They are trying to squeeze every penny out of the cruise ship passengers and it makes the cost of public transportation far higher for us.

http://dockyardbermuda.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-pre-season-Transport-meeting.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

Only one day transportation passes ($19) will be sold on board cruise ships and at the Visitors Information Centers.

If I read this right, the cost of the ferry has doubled. Used to cost $4.50 / $9 round trip from Kings Wharf to Hamilton.

Cost is now a day pass for $19?:confused:

That is more than double.

I just saw the PowerPoint presentation of the pre-season transportation presentation held at Dockyard a couple of weeks ago. Assuming plans proceed as outlined, there are some very negative changes affecting cruise ship passengers:

No tokens will be sold at the Visitors Information Centers.

Direct buses to Horseshoe Bay (the "Special") will only be run if it is determined that there is insufficient capacity being provided by private carriers (taxis, mini buses, shuttles). A maximum of 6 buses will be on standby.

The ferry schedule will be "similar" to last year's.

Marine and Ports "prefers" the use of one day transportation passes over cash for the ferries.

Overall, this flat-out stinks. They are trying to squeeze every penny out of the cruise ship passengers and it makes the cost of public transportation far higher for us.

http://dockyardbermuda.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-pre-season-Transport-meeting.pdf

Not good. Also if they don't sell 2 day passes which I usually get then I am not getting 1 day passes. I will do cash for buses and ferries. That would be opposite of what they prefer. I am already booked this year I probably won't do Bermuda in 2017 if they do this.

Will be waiting for someone to post about this when the 2016 season starts. The changes are not very tourist friendly, that's for sure. We will be in port Saturday, August 20th at

2 PM and out on Sunday, August 21st at 3 PM on the Grandeur of the Seas. If this hold true, we will be staying at the Dockyard for our time there.

on page 4, this is written - VIC’s will be open daily for the sale of all public transportation tickets.

Are they referring to the booklet of 15 tickets?? Or calling passes, tickets in this instance?

SBtS

I think they're calling passes "tickets", based on the wording that follows what you've cited. Remember, they haven't sold the books of 15 tickets at Dockyard for a couple of years.

Not good. Also if they don't sell 2 day passes which I usually get then I am not getting 1 day passes. I will do cash for buses and ferries. That would be opposite of what they prefer. I am already booked this year I probably won't do Bermuda in 2017 if they do this.

I'd be worried about their willingness to accept cash on the ferries, given they've said they "prefer" the use of one day transportation passes over cash.

I'd be worried about their willingness to accept cash on the ferries, given they've said they "prefer" the use of one day transportation passes over cash.

They are putting the screws on cruise ship passengers.

Since the Ferry service still says they accept cash I think all they can do is give a dirty look.

I also notice that no mention is made of offering the Horseshoe Beach shuttle service. Since that service was sponsored by them it makes me wonder if it continues.

Anyhow all this and their late posting of current ferry schedules is another reason not to book the first few weeks of the season in May. It is a recipe for confusion and long lines. It could take a few weeks to sort out.

They are putting the screws on cruise ship passengers.

Since the Ferry service still says they accept cash I think all they can do is give a dirty look.

I also notice that no mention is made of offering the Horseshoe Beach shuttle service. Since that service was sponsored by them it makes me wonder if it continues.

Anyhow all this and their late posting of current ferry schedules is another reason not to book the first few weeks of the season in May. It is a recipe for confusion and long lines. It could take a few weeks to sort out.

I'm wondering if the new summer ferry schedule will no longer say they accept cash.

Good point about the Horseshoe Bay shuttle.

I was thinking about a July cruise with my granddaughter but may now change our destination

If the cruise line had raised fares $7 per person between the time you were first considering taking the cruise and the date you actually were about to book it, would that minor fare difference cause you to not book the cruise? What if the average price of a cocktail increased by $1, and you typically drank one cocktail a day. Would the $7 additional for a 7 day cruise cause you to not book? In all likelihood you would never even know if the cruise line raised drink prices (or shore excursion prices, or the price of just about anything on board) or by how much they were raised...and they do that all the time.

$7 per person is exactly how much additional you will pay for 2 one day transportation passes ($19x2 = $38) versus a single two day pass ($31).

Don't get me wrong...I'm not happy with the changes either...no one wants to pay more for something, but it certainly won't cause me to change my cruising plans.

Edited by njhorseman

I am So glad I still have enough tokens left over to get to Hamilton. :p

Token do work best for us.

If I had one token left I would be good to go. I would buy more tokens when I got to St. George. Have to find my Baggie of foreign left over change and odds and ends but I think I only have some old New York, T and Istanbul tokens. Usually on day one I go to St. George during the day and Hamilton in the evening so a one day pass would cover that if we do that again. In any case I will buy some tokens to use in either Hamilton or St. George. And keep a couple of extra tokens for the future.

Edited by Charles4515

Us as well. We're going in June and will just bring a couple of rolls of quarters as they do take US coins.

Do they take paper currency as well or only coins? And, do you by any chance know the current cost of the bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay and/or is there a website where I can find this information? Thanks.

Do they take paper currency as well or only coins? And, do you by any chance know the current cost of the bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay and/or is there a website where I can find this information? Thanks.

They don't take paper currency on the bus. They only take coins (exact change), tokens, passes, tickets (ticket booklets not sold at the Dockyard).

Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay is $5 if you use coins, $4.50 if you use a token. Take the #7 or the buses marked "Special" that go to Horseshoe.

https://www.gov.bm/bus-fares

https://www.gov.bm/bus-routes-and-maps

Edited by Charles4515

Can I pay with U.S. paper currency for the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton? If so, how much per person?

Thank you.

The fare is $5 if cash is used. They say they take cash and they don't say exact change on their schedule. So maybe they will take paper. I never tried. Always used a pass or a $4.50 token. Since the money does not go on farebox (fareboxes can't handle paper) like on the bus maybe they will take paper for the ferry. Seems like they would prefer that over change.

Edited by Charles4515

This concerns me....there are 11 of us taking a cruise the end of May (first time for all of in Bermuda).

Extra $$$ and confusion. Not good, but we will make the best of it and have a good time I'm sure.

We are there for 2 days so wanted to do 2 day pass, but maybe won't now?? Decisions. Decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The fare is $5 if cash is used. They say they take cash and they don't say exact change on their schedule. So maybe they will take paper. I never tried. Always used a pass or a $4.50 token. Since the money does not go on farebox (fareboxes can't handle paper) like on the bus maybe they will take paper for the ferry. Seems like they would prefer that over change.

I have deposited many a token into ferry fareboxes. Perhaps not all ferry boats have them, but as I recall the high speed cats that run between Dockyard and Hamilton do.

If the cruise line had raised fares $7 per person between the time you were first considering taking the cruise and the date you actually were about to book it, would that minor fare difference cause you to not book the cruise? What if the average price of a cocktail increased by $1, and you typically drank one cocktail a day. Would the $7 additional for a 7 day cruise cause you to not book? In all likelihood you would never even know if the cruise line raised drink prices (or shore excursion prices, or the price of just about anything on board) or by how much they were raised...and they do that all the time.

$7 per person is exactly how much additional you will pay for 2 one day transportation passes ($19x2 = $38) versus a single two day pass ($31).

Don't get me wrong...I'm not happy with the changes either...no one wants to pay more for something, but it certainly won't cause me to change my cruising plans.

I agree

I'm a little confused. Correct me if I am wrong. Tokens will still be for sale but just not at dockyard? Tokens still available for purchase in St. George and Hamilton? Is there anywhere to exchange paper money for quarters at Dockyard? Thanks!