No Tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at Dockyard in 2016

njhorseman

Nice point, except that the reasons stated were not to support the economy but to provide better access to the locals who rely on the transit system on a daily basis for work, etc., who find it difficult and congested to use during the cruise season due to the high volume of cruise ship passenger use. The stated goal is to limit the public transit use by ship passengers and encourage more taxi and minivan use for their transportation while sightseeing the island from the Dockyard.

That is solved by putting on the "Special" buses that only go to Horseshoe and back. Also the Horseshoe beach shuttles supplement those. Many of us take the ferries to St. George and Hamilton. I have not seen locals going to work on those from the Dockyard.

That is solved by putting on the "Special" buses that only go to Horseshoe and back. Also the Horseshoe beach shuttles supplement those. Many of us take the ferries to St. George and Hamilton. I have not seen locals going to work on those from the Dockyard.

Agreed and I was responding to Got2Cruise's response about this being a plan to help Bermuda remain solvent. :rolleyes:

But I thought there was some condition with taxis and other minivans being in use before the Special buses (which have always been there previously when ships are in port) would be put in service? I certainly could be wrong.

And I too have seen the ferries used mostly by the ship passengers when we've been on them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Agreed and I was responding to Got2Cruise's response about this being a plan to help Bermuda remain solvent. :rolleyes:

But I thought there was some condition with taxis and other minivans being in use before the Special buses (which have always been there previously when ships are in port) would be put in service? I certainly could be wrong.

And I too have seen the ferries used mostly by the ship passengers when we've been on them.

By solvent, I mean no welfare. . .folks make a decent living. They are creating jobs by having more van drivers. . . if you read the article it clearly states they will only put the special into service when there are not enough private vans available. (no need to roll eyes just because you think your opinion is more valuable than mine)

We are a family of five cruising to Bermuda on the anthem in June and I am having sticker shock when it comes to transportation costs. Does anyone know what the cab fare for five of us to travel from the dockyard to horseshoe beach would cost? A round trip bus token would cost 50.00 for us all to make a round trip visit. Thanks!

Sorry...one more question: is the $19 day pass the same price for adults and children?

Children over the age of five the one day pass is $9.50.

Regarding your first question, the fare for the "Special" buses . The tokens were $4.50. I believe you are confusing those with the a Horseshoe Beach private shuttles when you come up with the $64 total. The public buses would have been $9 x 4, $36. You could also use the passes for the public Special buses. You can't use the passes on the private shuttles.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles 4515 - thank you for the clarification. You are correct, I was talking about the HBB shuttle bc I thought that was the one they were holding back and would only use if needed. Is that not the case? Will the shuttle still run as scheduled?

We are a family of five cruising to Bermuda on the anthem in June and I am having sticker shock when it comes to transportation costs. Does anyone know what the cab fare for five of us to travel from the dockyard to horseshoe beach would cost? A round trip bus token would cost 50.00 for us all to make a round trip visit. Thanks!

The Monday to Saturday fare for 5 to 7 passengers from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay was $43.50 in 2015.

What are the ages of the children? I believe that 2 children under 12 yo count as 1 passenger.

SBtS

Charles 4515 - thank you for the clarification. You are correct, I was talking about the HBB shuttle bc I thought that was the one they were holding back and would only use if needed. Is that not the case? Will the shuttle still run as scheduled?

The Special buses were what they were discussing holding back. Those were always dispatched as needed so I don't know if holding back is any different than what they did before. They don't mention the shuttle and I wonder why.

Edited by Charles4515

By solvent, I mean no welfare. . .folks make a decent living. They are creating jobs by having more van drivers. . . if you read the article it clearly states they will only put the special into service when there are not enough private vans available. (no need to roll eyes just because you think your opinion is more valuable than mine)

First of all thanks for clarifying the plans with the special buses. Second, my comment to you (as well as another poster's) regarding solvency was not one of a more valuable opinion, but was based on the reasons cited in the article. Your point - which I acknowledged as being good - based on supporting the economy of the island was not addressed as the basis for the change as I read it. Improved transit access to the local public, which is what I pointed out to you however, was.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I equate it to Car and Hotel rental in the US and how localities add on taxes and fees since most people renting cars or staying in hotels do not live in that municipality, pay taxes or vote.

Here at dockyard most people using public transportation do not live or pay taxes/vote so there here is where you get more money.

I have a metro card for NYC subways and an Oyster Card for London's tube. I don't live, pay taxes, or vote in either place but I do spend money when in either location. So what makes Bermuda so special.:rolleyes:

Maybe this will promote token scalpers at the Dockyard. Some person trying to sell passengers tokens for $5.00 each and make 50 cents on each one. It could be a lucrative business unless you get caught by the authorities.

Great minds think alike.

I was thinking the same thing.

Quote below shows how most Bermudians feel about tourists. Taken from the local newspaper royal gazette.

Open Mind 1609

"If it costs a cruiser an extra $20 a day to utilize our taxi and mini bus services, supporting Bermudian jobs in the process, I am all for it.

I think it very telling that the one comment from a cruise passenger who is blessed to be visiting our fair isles at a VERY low cost, and who is complaining about supporting our local economy with a few extra dollars to take a taxi or mini bus is very telling. Bermuda will NEVER be a cheap destination like Mexico or Jamaica. We need to focus on upper end income earners and "fly in" tourists."

Edited by godogs89

In post #65 from "Charles4515", it says in the Gazette article that tokens are sold at the Bermuda Craft Market for $4.50. If this is true, I can see a lot of people heading towards the Craft Market to get there Tokens for the bus or ferry. Do they sell them at the "Check Out" in the Craft Market? Does anyone know?

Can we still buy the book of 15 tickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They are available but they are not sold at the Dockyard. Have not been available at the Dockyard for some time. Hamilton, maybe St. George, some post offices.

In post #65 from "Charles4515", it says in the Gazette article that tokens are sold at the Bermuda Craft Market for $4.50. If this is true, I can see a lot of people heading towards the Craft Market to get there Tokens for the bus or ferry. Do they sell them at the "Check Out" in the Craft Market? Does anyone know?

I have visited the craft market the last two years and didn't know they sold them there, considering the layout I would guess at check out.

The costs from the Dockyard are in the picture below.

1d239a92909b2f8a7590eb1c7bd53804.jpg

So lets look at a family with two kids who want to go to Crystal Cave and are unfortunate enough to do it on a Sunday.

Admission to both caves for two adults... $60.00 + two kids is $24.00.

Cab fare there and back is $126.00 + 25% Sunday surcharge...$157.50

So we are looking at $241.50.

I thought the caves were beautiful when we went there but Bermuda can keep their two caves. I would not be going if we were cruising to Bermuda now.

The Caribbean islands are incredibly beautiful and they seem to understand that tourism is their life blood. I feel very little need to return to Bermuda.

So lets look at a family with two kids who want to go to Crystal Cave and are unfortunate enough to do it on a Sunday.

Admission to both caves for two adults... $60.00 + two kids is $24.00.

Cab fare there and back is $126.00 + 25% Sunday surcharge...$157.50

So we are looking at $241.50.

I thought the caves were beautiful when we went there but Bermuda can keep their two caves. I would not be going if we were cruising to Bermuda now.

The Caribbean islands are incredibly beautiful and they seem to understand that tourism is their life blood. I feel very little need to return to Bermuda.

I can't imagine anyone taking a taxi from Dockyard to the caves. Transportation will cost $100 less than your example simply by buying two adult and two child one day transportation passes, costing a total of $57. Take the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton and then a bus from Hamilton to the caves.

I can't imagine anyone taking a taxi from Dockyard to the caves. Transportation will cost $100 less than your example simply by buying two adult and two child one day transportation passes, costing a total of $57. Take the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton and then a bus from Hamilton to the caves.

I get that. But the point of this entirely dumb, and discriminatory plan, is to get tourists into private transportation. It isn't going to happen because nobody is going to spend that kind of money to go to a cave. They will either still be on the buses and ferries or they won't be at the caves. I suspect the admission money is needed to pay salaries and maintain the caves?

Bermuda is not going to have its cake and eat it too.:rolleyes: