Just off the Balmoral

nb125

On reflection, I wonder if we are making too much of this? How serious is norovirus? I might have misunderstood, but not many seem to be rushed off to hospital for emergency treatment. Are you just sick for 24/36 hours?

In which case it doesn't seem to be worth making such a fuss about - just take what precautions you personally are comfortable with. After all, I've had much worse things befall me in Egypt .... Delhi ..... Mombasa ..... even Weston-super-Mare if I remember right.

Staying in my cabin and nodding off on the bed for a day doesn't really seem so much different from nodding off in the lounge, and at least I'm not taking up a seat!

Very interested to hear what people think of your comments.

On reflection, I wonder if we are making too much of this? How serious is norovirus? I might have misunderstood, but not many seem to be rushed off to hospital for emergency treatment. Are you just sick for 24/36 hours?

In which case it doesn't seem to be worth making such a fuss about - just take what precautions you personally are comfortable with. After all, I've had much worse things befall me in Egypt .... Delhi ..... Mombasa ..... even Weston-super-Mare if I remember right.

Staying in my cabin and nodding off on the bed for a day doesn't really seem so much different from nodding off in the lounge, and at least I'm not taking up a seat!

Thankfully I have not had norovirus myself but I know someone who has and she suffered excrutiatingly painful stomach pains and extreme vomiting and diaorrhea. Of course, the effects vary from person to person as with any virus but not pleasant by anyone's standard. Add to this being cooped up in your cabin and the possibility of missing a port I think you are taking it far too lightly.

Thankfully I have not had norovirus myself but I know someone who has and she suffered excrutiatingly painful stomach pains and extreme vomiting and diaorrhea. Of course, the effects vary from person to person as with any virus but not pleasant by anyone's standard. Add to this being cooped up in your cabin and the possibility of missing a port I think you are taking it far too lightly.

I haven't had it either, I haven't been on a cruise with it aboard, nor do I know anybody who has ever had it. Which is why I was posing the question about how serious it was.

I don't find a 24/36 hour illness a major disaster, whilst remaining in my cabin for a day would not be too painful. And as for missing a port, well in many cases this could be a relief. I always feel obliged to go ashore and have a look, even though I might have been there three or more times already, and didn't particularly like the place the first time. Like most cruisers, I've lost count of the times I've been to Madeira, Lisbon, Oslo, Bergen, Copenhagen, etc. The only place which I would have been seriously upset to miss was St Helena (for the obvious reason that it's a bit difficult to return to).

So perhaps I am taking it lightly because the illnesses which worry me and which have caused me to change my travel plans are:

• not going on a cruise calling at Senegal because of ebola
  • not visiting Hong Kong when bird flu was rampant
  • not going to Brazil for the Olympics because of zika virus
  • not visiting certain areas of China when TB was rife

So I'll ask again - are we getting norovirus a bit out of proportion? If I have significantly underestimated its effects, then I'll certainly revise my views, but until then I think I'll just

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Edited by cottonbuddas

I haven't had it either, I haven't been on a cruise with it aboard, nor do I know anybody who has ever had it. Which is why I was posing the question about how serious it was.

I don't find a 24/36 hour illness a major disaster, whilst remaining in my cabin for a day would not be too painful. And as for missing a port, well in many cases this could be a relief. I always feel obliged to go ashore and have a look, even though I might have been there three or more times already, and didn't particularly like the place the first time. Like most cruisers, I've lost count of the times I've been to Madeira, Lisbon, Oslo, Bergen, Copenhagen, etc. The only place which I would have been seriously upset to miss was St Helena (for the obvious reason that it's a bit difficult to return to).

So perhaps I am taking it lightly because the illnesses which worry me and which have caused me to change my travel plans are:

• not going on a cruise calling at Senegal because of ebola
  • not visiting Hong Kong when bird flu was rampant
  • not going to Brazil for the Olympics because of zika virus
  • not visiting certain areas of China when TB was rife

So I'll ask again - are we getting norovirus a bit out of proportion? If I have significantly underestimated its effects, then I'll certainly revise my views, but until then I think I'll just

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I suppose for someone like you who obviously cruises a lot and isn't too bothered about ports it may not be a big deal but not everyone is in that position. Also if you are travelling as a couple the chances are it would be four days you would be confined to your cabin. This may not be much on a long cruise but certainly is on a short one.

thankfully i have not had norovirus myself but i know someone who has and she suffered excrutiatingly painful stomach pains and extreme vomiting and diaorrhea. Of course, the effects vary from person to person as with any virus but not pleasant by anyone's standard. Add to this being cooped up in your cabin and the possibility of missing a port i think you are taking it far too lightly.

ditto

This article might help:

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

On average 0.3% of cases are hospitalised, of which 1% die

There is no vaccine to prevent norovirus and no drugs to treat those with the virus

Individuals remain contagious for some days after recovery

On our upcoming 5 night cruise to the Fjords, being confined to the cabin for 2 days would make a nonsense of the whole trip! :mad: Being in the cabin and with the all-inclusive package I could be very tempted to just stay in the room and make the best of a bad job!! :D But, seriously, it is a bit of a worry.

We have been on an infected cruise before and we remained virus free but we were very careful. Having the public toilets closed is a real bind but it makes sense.

This article might help:

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

On average 0.3% of cases are hospitalised, of which 1% die

Thank you, that was very helpful, especially now I've found out that norovirus isn't a "special" illness, it's gastro-enteritis. Unpleasant certainly, and not what you'd choose to have on holiday, but with such low mortality rates (1 in 33,000 of those infected) it's something I am not unduly concerned about.

I've been sea-sick for that length of time before, so I don't suppose norovirus is any worse than that!

Edited by cottonbuddas

You are right that most people recover quite nicely. The problem is that you and your travel partner may be quarantined in your cabin if one of you gets noro. Or your ship might not be able to dock. That happened recently to a Cunard ship (no Petra trip) and Oceania ship (Caribbean ports).

It wouldn't put me off cruising - in fact I leave in a few weeks for a British Isles cruise. But I will take precautions - frequent vigorous hand washing!

So, what are they doing for you? Giving a cruise credit? A future cruise credit? Or nothing. ? Seems to me they should do something for their current guests. Let us know what they do.

Those people who are saying NV is no big deal obviously haven't had it themselves. Anybody who has had NV like my wife & I certainly don't want it again I can assure you. We got it on the late unlamented Island Escape & it is not only the confinement to cabin for infected passenger & everybody else in that cabin, but it ruins the whole cruise. It has been said many times, but the only people to blame are the disgusting unhygienic passengers, not the Cruise Lines & certainly not the crew. The only answer is in our own hands - we must reprimand & humiliate people who don't observe proper hygienic procedures when leaving the washrooms. You know it makes sense.

You are right that most people recover quite nicely. The problem is that you and your travel partner may be quarantined in your cabin if one of you gets noro. Or your ship might not be able to dock. That happened recently to a Cunard ship (no Petra trip) and Oceania ship (Caribbean ports).

When I had a mild case of noro on a cruise, it was only me quarantined, my wife was still allowed to go ashore and act normally on the ship.

We were recently on the Queen Elizabeth from Osaka to Hong Kong, code red for the dreaded norovirus was announced by the captain on our 2nd day on board. As far as we know about 140 passengers were affected, some on our corridor including the cabin opposite. We didn't get it and can only put this down to meticulous hand hygiene, not touching any lift buttons etc. I have had norovirus before, at home when one of my young daughters bought it home from school, not a pleasant experience. Not only a problem on cruise ships but in schools and how often do you here that ward at the local hospital has been closed due to an outbreak?

Looks like Balmoral did get into the last ports in Canada, but this link and other articles I have seen, seem to suggest the weather was pretty bad as they got north. That Northern Eastern Seaboard does have a lot of cold, misty and muggy weather at this time of year, so it is not unusual.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/bad-luck-cruise-ship-stjohns-1.3581321

We sailed over at the end of May last year and had a lot of mist as we approached Canada and it was very cold in Sydney. The weather got better early June as we went up the St Lawrence to Montreal, as they have earlier springs inland. We did not go to St. John's until 13th June on our way back, when the weather was much improved. At least it is better than last year as this winter has not been as bad over there as it was last year.

Looks like there is still some illness still lurking as well. I feel very sorry for the passengers on that cruise. I hope their return Atlantic crossing and their last port of Ringaskiddy is better for them.

Edited by tring

• 1 month later...

It was disappointing that we were not allowed into Bermuda, that the weather was cold, with only about 3/4 days warm weather, that we had so many cases of noro virus, though I was one of the luck ones. Fred cannot control the weather and did their best regarding noro.

The most disappointing was the food. I was on second sitting and because the ship was just under 3/4 full the Ballindalloch restaurant had lots of empty places. I had asked for a table of eight and got 3 plus me. The food was likewarm and had to complainon a few occasions. Only on two occasions did I have a main course that was hot. Chips were sent back as was desserts, dthat should have been hot were described as warm. Apple streudel that was just warm was sent back and microwaved, that was then a soggy mess. There were some main courses that were served in a large bowl and certainly did not look appetising. Why they could not have put it in a small bowl and on a plate with the accompaniments, I do not know. One night we were still waiting on our main course whilst others were on their tea and coffee, Our waiters were brilliant and as soon as it arrived from the kitchen it was on the plate. I only hope that this was a big blip.

I have recently moved house so this is the first time I have had a chance to report back.

I learned to play bridge and as a result am going to take it up at a local club when they resume in the autumn. The dance instructors were very good and I learned so muchfrom them. The choir mistress was excellent and while some of it was out my comfort zone, I took it all on board and had a great time in the choir.

The show team as always are the best, so much better than P&O (who love to screeech out songs) Loved all of their shows.

The cruise director was lovely and it must have been difficult to remain positive.

Hope someone finds this useful

Sorry to hear you had so many problems on the ship Fluffy. I do not know why Fred Schedule ships to the northern part of the Eastern Seaboard so early in the year as they always have late springs there so get a lot of mist and cold weather then.

Did things get better as the cruise proceeded though, regards norovirus, I hope it did? At least it sounds as though you enjoyed some aspects of the cruise.

Also, how did the call into Ringaskiddy go? We were booked into there for our recent Ireland cruise, but Fred changed the itinerary order a couple of weeks before we went, so we could get into Cobh. We were glad of that. Did you have shuttle busses provided from Ringaskiddy, and if so, to where?

Hi Tring.

We had strict measures for about 27 days startung from the day we boarded (as there had been noro on the previous cruise) They lifted the measures the day before NY and then imposed them after the first day again. I really felt sorry for the staff having all that time on extra duties. The captain admitted how many were ill only after all the newspapers and tv got involved.

There was no free shuttle to Cork. You had to go by bus which took an hour or went through the cruise excursion. Ringaskiddy is a very small place with one pub where the Guiness was good so I was told and their hamburgers were very good according to my friend whom I met there, There was also a shop that sold very little.lol It is really a container terminal, so anyone who stops there should go to Cork or just stay on the ship.

I am going to Canada and America next year in the Autumn with another line, so hope it will be a lot better. lol

Hi Tring.

We had strict measures for about 27 days startung from the day we boarded (as there had been noro on the previous cruise) They lifted the measures the day before NY and then imposed them after the first day again. I really felt sorry for the staff having all that time on extra duties. The captain admitted how many were ill only after all the newspapers and tv got involved.

There was no free shuttle to Cork. You had to go by bus which took an hour or went through the cruise excursion. Ringaskiddy is a very small place with one pub where the Guiness was good so I was told and their hamburgers were very good according to my friend whom I met there, There was also a shop that sold very little.lol It is really a container terminal, so anyone who stops there should go to Cork or just stay on the ship.

I am going to Canada and America next year in the Autumn with another line, so hope it will be a lot better. lol

I am really sorry to hear that, I certainly hope you do much better next year. The Autumn should be a much better time to visit that part of the world. I have a brother in St. John's, Newfoundland, which is mainly why I know about their climate. It is difficult for us to imagine the weather can be so bad at that time of the year at that latitude (St. John's is much the same latitude as Bordeaux), but being on the eastern side of a continent means they get the Labrador current, rather than our gulf stream. I have come across Americans on forums talking about taking all sorts of thermal arctic type clothes to Norway in July - they just cannot understand the effect of the Gulf Stream on climate on this side of the ocean in the summer, even at quite northerly latitudes. My brother will jauntily say that their summer is 'July', but the fall does tend to be much better than spring as it does take a while for the ice to thaw out in the spring and there are is a lot of mist with the icy cold seas. This year they have actually seen a relatively early spring, with the ice thawing reasonably well.

Ringaskiddy sounds awful, we were quite alarmed to be scheduled to go there, so we are glad Fred changed the itinerary order eventually. We had looked at the, 'Cork on your Own' excursion, but they only allowed for about 3 or 4 hours in Cork then brought people back and it cost £17 each just for the coach journey,which was OTT in our opinion. Docking in Cobh gave us the chance to get the train to Cork, which came up on our CC bill as £14.80 total price for two of us return. So it cost less than half Fred's price, was a quick, picturesque journey and we could return when we wanted. Cobh is a very nice town as well - we had been there previously. I am surprised Fred did not provide shuttle busses to somewhere for you, having seen Ringaskiddy on Google earth, as it is obviously just an industrial/residential area without even a village centre - as you say just one pub and what looked like a corner shop.

Hope you are settling in to your new house well,

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring