Any info about snorkeling at Harvest Caye?

jstewa22

Hi, folks. I don't know if we're going to get to Harvest Caye or not, we're booked on the Norwegian Jade for Dec. 4-11 and there have been plenty of delays in getting the island ready. Pretty contentious with the locals, too, lots of concern about environmental impact.

That being said, I've been trying to figure out if there will be any decent off-the-beach snorkeling on the island, haven't been able to find any info, and looking at the satellite view with Google Maps, it doesn't look too promising. Does anyone have any information about this?

Thanks in advance!

--Jon

St. Pete, FL

Hi, folks. I don't know if we're going to get to Harvest Caye or not, we're booked on the Norwegian Jade for Dec. 4-11 and there have been plenty of delays in getting the island ready. Pretty contentious with the locals, too, lots of concern about environmental impact.

That being said, I've been trying to figure out if there will be any decent off-the-beach snorkeling on the island, haven't been able to find any info, and looking at the satellite view with Google Maps, it doesn't look too promising. Does anyone have any information about this?

Thanks in advance!

--Jon

St. Pete, FL

Have you read or joined the roll call for NCL Jade? From nexttimeclub & BilgeRat. We are on the Jade the week before you.

• 3 months later...

Thanks in advance!

--Jon

St. Pete, FL

HI; I do hope you found your roll-call thread and have made some connections. your question is a valid one, and as soon as HC opens, folks can come back here and tell us all about it. My daughter is also hoping for some decent snorkeling action on HC, realizing that SCUBA is most likely not going to happen there. Would really like to know the extent of their offerings. We are two weeks after you, and am a little jealous that you get the same experience for a much better price that us holiday-goers.

Scanditaly

Thanks, scand, I have found the roll-call thread, probably need to keep a closer eye, though. I agree, it's a short day in port, hardly pays to do a dive; as it stands now, I'll just do a couple of tanks in Roatan. Nobody else dives, though, so looking for snorkeling options. I'll probably post something after I get back.

Yeah, those early December fares are always great. Those and the repositioning fares. Sorry you got stuck!

We've been scheduled to go to Harvest Cay for more than a year. Promises, promises. 3 times plus on NCL. Going on the Glory next month. I know it goes to Belize City. That's where I go scuba diving (20 years). 130 + cruises. 1st time having a morning beach day. Breakfast on the beach? It will be a first. Read all past post for divers.

• 3 months later...

I've seen some posts on another HC thread about the snorkeling shorex getting canceled because the platform is not/will not be ready in time.

Just today, I received a strange e-mail informing me of the cancellation of the three shorex (undersea vessel, snorkeling, and one other) due to the readiness of the above mentioned platform. It further stated that our credit card would show a refund in the next few days. We will be at HC around the 20th of December.

Then, I received an e-mail retraction. I was not even aware that an e-mail could be retracted. Hmmm! Learn something new everyday. Did anyone else receive this set of strange e-mails? BTW: I checked the kids account, and all four of them are still booked on their HC snorkeling shorex.

Soon..................

Scanditaly

I just returned from my annual week-long scuba diving trip in Southern Belize. One of the locals who has worked on HC says NCL of course wants to keep people on HC, spending money, rather than offer a lot of chances to leave the island. As of last week, they were not even planning to offer boat rides to the mainland 9 miles away.

They cut through the reef to build this private island, and the marine life appears to be quite shell-shocked as a result. (That's first hand, not hearsay) The whale sharks which have been feeding in the area for many years, near Gladden Spit, have disappeared.

Like Royal Caribbean's "snorkeling and scuba trail" at their private islands, they will probably have a largely man-made area that will host a few small fish, but I doubt it will be very interesting. Snorkel in Roatan and it will be much better.

I just returned from my annual week-long scuba diving trip in Southern Belize. One of the locals who has worked on HC says NCL of course wants to keep people on HC, spending money, rather than offer a lot of chances to leave the island. As of last week, they were not even planning to offer boat rides to the mainland 9 miles away.

They cut through the reef to build this private island, and the marine life appears to be quite shell-shocked as a result. (That's first hand, not hearsay) The whale sharks which have been feeding in the area for many years, near Gladden Spit, have disappeared.

Like Royal Caribbean's "snorkeling and scuba trail" at their private islands, they will probably have a largely man-made area that will host a few small fish, but I doubt it will be very interesting. Snorkel in Roatan and it will be much better.

We are also scuba divers & not happy about NCL's NOT going to Belize City. They are losing my loyalty. New this week,Carnival bringing Miracle (7 day) to Tampa, Belize City included. A better alternative for scuba divers. 25 years diving in Belize. Thank you very much for passing on information. December 2nd will be in HC 7a to 1p, another bummer.

Edited by nexttimeclub
addition

Well, the area will take awhile to re-grow, and in any event, NCL has cancelled our scheduled snorkeling excursion as the platform will not be ready. Shell-shocked is an accurate description.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, folks. I don't know if we're going to get to Harvest Caye or not, we're booked on the Norwegian Jade for Dec. 4-11 and there have been plenty of delays in getting the island ready.

--Jon

St. Pete, FL

Hi Jon,

We'll be on that cruise too. I hope we do get to go to Harvest Caye. My husband and I are planning to scuba dive at the other ports but probably won't take our snorkeling equipment off at this port, unless we here there is something worth seeing. We did a private island on Carnival last June. No snorkeling, but a beautiful beach. Brought a small float with me and just relaxed in the water. I'll probably do the same here.

Definitely look up the Roll call and meet and greet for our cruise.

Michele

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, scand, I have found the roll-call thread, probably need to keep a closer eye, though. I agree, it's a short day in port, hardly pays to do a dive; as it stands now, I'll just do a couple of tanks in Roatan. Nobody else dives, though, so looking for snorkeling options. I'll probably post something after I get back.

Yeah, those early December fares are always great. Those and the repositioning fares. Sorry you got stuck!

We will be on this cruise today and we are divers too. Hopefully we will meet you on the Roatan dive.

Michele

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm new to Cruise Critic. What exactly "roll call"? I'm an advanced diver going on a Norwegian cruise to Roatan, Harvest Caye, & Cozumel & would like to do some diving, but am just aimlessly emailing dive shops in each area. If there is a better way to go about finding a good dive shop, I'm all ears. 
Thanks! 
CC

On 1/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, Capt_Carbuncle said:

Hi, I'm new to Cruise Critic. What exactly "roll call"? I'm an advanced diver going on a Norwegian cruise to Roatan, Harvest Caye, & Cozumel & would like to do some diving, but am just aimlessly emailing dive shops in each area. If there is a better way to go about finding a good dive shop, I'm all ears. 
Thanks! 
CC

You can check PADI's website for dive operators at various locations.  Sometimes you can find specials that way or links to reviews from past customers.  Emailing a dive shop to outline your diving experience level and what you are looking for can sometimes improve the product they sell you.  I've been an instructor for 20 years and I let dive shops know I'm looking for more extreme diving and not a cattle boat on a damaged reef.  90% of the time I get great rates and personalized dives in the best areas.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, Capt_Carbuncle said:

Hi, I'm new to Cruise Critic. What exactly "roll call"? 
CC

On your Roll Call question... click here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=24

That takes you to a list of upcoming sailings on Norwegian.  Find the one for your ship name and date of departure.   That roll call is for your specific cruise and you can connect with people who will be onboard with you prior to departure.  On Western Caribbean cruises, it's common for there to be a lot of SCUBA divers onboard hoping to dive in Caymans, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, etc.  They can assist your research and maybe together you can find a great deal on a dive excursion.

If you don't find your specific ship/sailing date in the main list at this link, click where it says "if you don't find your roll call Click Here" and you can see more.