Avis rental car in Skagway and Juneau

bluewater1298

We have reserved a rental car in Skagway for pick-up at 8:00 am when they open. We are on the Coral and it docks at 5:30 am. We will be docking at the Railroad Forward dock. There are three other ships that arrive at 7:00 am. What time should we be in line at the Avis office to get our car? How long is the walk to their office?

We also have a car reserved in Juneau with Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel for an 8:00 am pick-up. We arrive at 6:30 am at the A.J. Dock. What time should we be there and how much time will it take us to walk there?

Thanks for any advice. We want to get our car in both places and be on our way before the crowds arrive.

I got this automated response for our rental in Juneau.

Your tour will depart from the Mount Roberts Tramway. It is centrally located in Downtown Juneau within walking distance from most of the cruise docks. If you are docked at the AJ Dock, please take the shuttle provided from the dock. The shuttle will drop you off at the base of the Tram. There will be an Alaska Coach Tours representative standing outside the tram, please check in once you arrive.

But I would call them to make sure.

I usually arrive at the office in Skagway about 7:45am as I don't like lines and want to get early starts. Sometimes they open at 8, last year when the guy arrived at &:45 he checked me in and I was out of town early. The office is not that long a walk, they are just one block over from the train station.

Sometimes this pays off, last year I saw a bear alongside the road about 5 miles out of town. I stopped in the middle of the road and watched him as there was no traffic in either direction. I love being ahead of all the tour buses etc.

We have reserved a rental car in Skagway for pick-up at 8:00 am when they open. We are on the Coral and it docks at 5:30 am. We will be docking at the Railroad Forward dock. There are three other ships that arrive at 7:00 am. What time should we be in line at the Avis office to get our car? How long is the walk to their office?

We also have a car reserved in Juneau with Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel for an 8:00 am pick-up. We arrive at 6:30 am at the A.J. Dock. What time should we be there and how much time will it take us to walk there?

Thanks for any advice. We want to get our car in both places and be on our way before the crowds arrive.

Skagway- If you want to be first in line, you are looking at 6:30a. It's about a 10 minute walk from your dock, go right at Spring St. (first street you come to), then left down Third. On your left will be the sign.

You pick up at the Rivergold Hotel in Juneau. You first have to take a shuttle bus from AJ dock. When you come up the ramp, bear left and get in line. At the tram parking lot, where you are dropped off, walk with the water to your left, past the cruise ships. Hotel is on your right (if you stay on the same side of the street :) ) It will take about 20 minutes to get there, if you aren't waiting too long for the shuttle bus.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks DougH! That is what we are hoping for. Beat the crowds and hopefully see some wildlife along the roadside.

Budget Queen - Thanks for the directions and the hotel name. I made our reservations last summer. I have Goldbelt Hotel on our reservation. I went to the Avis website and saw it is Rivergold Hotel now. Thanks for letting me know.

Our reservation location in Skagway is Sgt. Prestons Lodge, AK8 on 370 6th Street. I checked their website and it's still showing that location. Do you think this is right? Thanks for your help.

I just noticed that Avis in Skagway opens at 7:00 am now instead of 8:00. I made a change to our reservation. This works out perfect for us! Glad our ship arrives early!

Thanks again Budget Queen! I'm not sure I would have noticed the change without your comment.

Has Avis moved their office in Skagway? Their website shows it at Sgt. Preston's Lodge on 6th St, not the location everyone has mentioned on CC.

Just did a google search and it looks like they change to the 3rd street location for the cruise season. They have two different addresses - one for winter and one for summer. http://www.avisalaska.com/locations/skagway/ There was nothing on my email conformation that stated that. It has the 6th street location. Glad I'm double checking everything.

Thanks for that information bluewater1298! I have a car rented too and was a bit concerned about the walk to 6th Street. If Avis moves back to 3rd Street I should be able to get there OK. If they stay on 6th Street for some reason,(according to Google Maps it's 0.6 miles from the pier) I discovered the there is a SMART Shuttle van that goes from the piers around "downtown" Skagway. It runs from 07:00 to 21:00 and costs $2 each way. http://www.smart-ak.com/Page_2.html Alaska here I come!

Thanks DougH! That is what we are hoping for. Beat the crowds and hopefully see some wildlife along the roadside.

Budget Queen - Thanks for the directions and the hotel name. I made our reservations last summer. I have Goldbelt Hotel on our reservation. I went to the Avis website and saw it is Rivergold Hotel now. Thanks for letting me know.

Our reservation location in Skagway is Sgt. Prestons Lodge, AK8 on 370 6th Street. I checked their website and it's still showing that location. Do you think this is right? Thanks for your help.

As I stated, Avis is on 3rd during the cruise season. Has been in the same location for over 10 years, at the Westmark Hotel. Call and verify this next month.

As I stated, Avis is on 3rd during the cruise season. Has been in the same location for over 10 years, at the Westmark Hotel. Call and verify this next month.

Thanks Budget Queen! I just called Avis and the lady I spoke with said they will move to 3rd St on May 1st. I really wish they would but this information in their email. Glad we have you with all your knowledge!

Also, she said they didn't open until 8:00 am. I told her the website is now showing 7:00 am. She said that must be a change and if they are allowing you to reserve at 7:00, then they would be open at 7:00.

One other thing for anyone reserving a car. If you call the office, you have more vehicle selections than they give you online.