Ventura muster drill

Artemis17

Hi All,

Just a question re the muster drill on Ventura

If you have boarding times of 3:30 (& assuming it still takes a little while to actually get onto the ship) what time do P&O usually do the muster drill and is there a typical departure time for the sail-away from Southampton?.

We're not worried about a late check-in time but have visions of barely getting to/finding the cabin before muster & then sail-away.

Many Thanks

When we were on Ventura last October, the muster drill was around 4.30, but didn't start for another half hour. We also had a 3.30 slot but were on board about half an hour early, only enough time to do a bit of unpacking beforehand.

Thank you for your replies.

I guess it's likely to be a bit of a rush to the room then although by all accounts there wouldn't be many boarding at 3.30pm as they'll all have arrived early. ;-)

Hello,

I have been on Ventura a few times in the last 6 months and most recently Azura. The muster was always planned for 4.30 and on Ventura that was achieved but on Azura they couldn't get people on in time and was delayed until around 6. What I have found on all my cruises is that after muster you need to be very quick if you want to get back to cabin and then on top deck for sail away with a drink! I have always rushed but never made it with a drink in my hand and on top deck before the ships whistle. I have always been at the bar. I did notice last time that people took their life jackets with them to the sail away and returned them to their cabin after. Not too sure if that's allowed but it's what a fair few did.

Edited by Port&starboard

Hello,

I have been on Ventura a few times in the last 6 months and most recently Azura. The muster was always planned for 4.30 and on Ventura that was achieved but on Azura they couldn't get people on in time and was delayed until around 6. What I have found on all my cruises is that after muster you need to be very quick if you want to get back to cabin and then on top deck for sail away with a drink! I have always rushed but never made it with a drink in my hand and on top deck before the ships whistle. I have always been at the bar. I did notice last time that people took their life jackets with them to the sail away and returned them to their cabin after. Not too sure if that's allowed but it's what a fair few did.

We always keep our life jackets with us but we go out on deck 7 as I have a mobility scooter and there is no way I would get to the top deck in time for sailaways. But I always have the the life jackets on the scooter and a glass in my hand. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When it gets to the point in muster where they say "we now invite you to try on your life jackets" we leave, its not compulsory and means while everyone is ripping their Velcro apart, tying themselves in knots and testing the whistle (yuk) we are heading for the top deck.

Never had a problem, don't tell too many people though or they will all do it!

When it gets to the point in muster where they say "we now invite you to try on your life jackets" we leave, its not compulsory and means while everyone is ripping their Velcro apart, tying themselves in knots and testing the whistle (yuk) we are heading for the top deck.

Never had a problem, don't tell too many people though or they will all do it!

Interesting....... I thought you had to stay and put on your life jacket and that it was part of the muster. Will try this next week.:cool:

My first cruise was Ventura and we had a boarding time of 3:30, and got there between 2:30 - 3:00. Of course by the time we got on it was too close to the 4:30 muster drill to explore, unpack much or get a drink etc. After the drill it was straight to sailaway, then the MDR was closed to set up for dinner so we couldn't get a snack before our 08:30 dinner sitting (luckily we found the pizza grill on deck.) Basically the boarding time being so close to muster meant our whole first afternoon was used up.

Second time on Oriana we ignored our time slot, arrived early doors, no queues, walked straight on, had a lovely relaxing day.

Yes I know everyone cannot turn up at once, and if I did this again and was made to wait I would suck it up. But I would probably risk it.

My first cruise was Ventura and we had a boarding time of 3:30, and got there between 2:30 - 3:00. Of course by the time we got on it was too close to the 4:30 muster drill to explore, unpack much or get a drink etc. After the drill it was straight to sailaway, then the MDR was closed to set up for dinner so we couldn't get a snack before our 08:30 dinner sitting (luckily we found the pizza grill on deck.) Basically the boarding time being so close to muster meant our whole first afternoon was used up.

Second time on Oriana we ignored our time slot, arrived early doors, no queues, walked straight on, had a lovely relaxing day.

Yes I know everyone cannot turn up at once, and if I did this again and was made to wait I would suck it up. But I would probably risk it.

Ohhh now you've started a whole new debate re boarding times ---- light the blue touch paper and stand back ;):D

Interesting....... I thought you had to stay and put on your life jacket and that it was part of the muster. Will try this next week.:cool:

The wording is quite specific, tested it the once and never put them on again :)