Galileo Galilei

Hello All, I realise it's been more than a decade since the original post but wonder if any of the original contributors are out there, especially Indiana67 aka Silvia Novak?? I am a maritime historian currently working on a book about the designer Nicolò Costanzi and his four most famous ships from the 1960's: Galileo Galilei, Guglielmo Marconi, Oceanic and Eugenio C. I would really like to include some of these wonderful stories of life (and birth!) on board these ships within the book. Any help would be very gratefully received. Many thanks Ian

Edited by The Sarnian
change date details

When   " Italian Line Cruises International" started after the demise of the "Italian Line", we thought we would book a winter cruise on the Marconi out of NYC.  That's when you could still go on ships as a visitor.  So....we went and checked it out, we liked what we saw and was looking forward to the Italian experience  and we booked it.  A  couple of months after we booked it, they cancelled and ceased operation.  Too bad!

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, I realise it was a bit of a longshot. ICI seems to have been ill-fated from the start and from what I know the US authorities seemed almost pre-disposed to overseeing the Marconi's failure. She did fail various health inspections, but they were so keen to broadcast the fact in the media that even when the problems were resolved her reputation had been left in tatters. A shame because with the forward kingposts removed she looked better than ever. As you say Marco...…..too bad! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 5:39 AM, The Sarnian said:

Hello All, I realise it's been more than a decade since the original post but wonder if any of the original contributors are out there, especially Indiana67 aka Silvia Novak?? I am a maritime historian currently working on a book about the designer Nicolò Costanzi and his four most famous ships from the 1960's: Galileo Galilei, Guglielmo Marconi, Oceanic and Eugenio C. I would really like to include some of these wonderful stories of life (and birth!) on board these ships within the book. Any help would be very gratefully received. Many thanks Ian

If our limited experience of Meridian would be of any interest to you (see post #32), I would love to hear from you.

We were also booked on Eugenio C when she became a Premier ship, but unfortunately, our cruise was cancelled when Premier folded.

They were beautiful ships!

I just had a look at our Meridian photos.  Now to go through my journal, the packet on onboard materials, and then to look up Nicolo Costanzi!

Please keep us informed about your book.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:43 PM, shipgeeks said:

We were also booked on Eugenio C when she became a Premier ship, but unfortunately, our cruise was cancelled when Premier folded.

Not sure that Eugenio C was the Premier Cruise Line ship that they acquired.  I remember that that vessel was Home Lines' former Oceanic.  She was a very well designed and comfortable ship.  Eugenio C and Oceanic were sisters, I think, in their construction and design.

I do apologise Shipgeeks, I tried to send a direct message but unfortunately the system wouldn't allow me! I would love to here of your experiences on Meridian please.  Any anecdotes would be great thanks, they certainly don't have to be spectacular. Incidentally on the assumption (possibly wrong) that you are one and the same thanks for the YouTube ship videos......fantastic.

What a shame to miss out sailing on the erstwhile Eugenio C, even if boarding 'Big Red Boat III' hardly has the same allure! I so wish I had taken a trip on her, especially one of the Genoa to Rio repositioning voyages, or even as Edinburgh Castle. But regrets are pointless...….

Nicolo Costanzi was an amazing designer but even more, an incredible man and a very fine artist. Oceanic and Eugenio C were similar but certainly not sisters. In fact Eugenio C's hull and machinery was closely modelled on the Lloyd Triestino twins (including sheer, which wasn't present on Oceanic) to speed up the build process.

Thanks again for your responses. 

Sarnian, I will dig out my journals and folders from Meridian, and see what I can find!

I will also go into our notes about all the fabulous Premier ships we sailed.  Yes, Edinburgh Castle is the name I was trying to recall.

I'm not sure how messages work on CC; sorry you were not able to reach me that way.  I'll look at my profile page and see if I can open up my access there.

Aah, a fun cold weather project begins!

• 2 weeks later...

Really sorry for the delayed response. Thanks so much for looking back over your old journals etc...….I'd be really interested on any memories of Big Red Boat III as well please. If it helps, rather than posting information on CC  my email address is ian@sarniawatercolours.co.uk. Anyway, many thanks...…….I really appreciate your help.  

No apology needed!  It is I who should apologize for not responding sooner.  The reason is that I did not find anything of interest.  Today I dug out a couple of Premier brochures; deck plan for Eugenio C in one.

I will email you re further thoughts; then you will have my email as well.

• 3 years later...

Hi, found this site while researching the Galileo Galilei and was surprised to see many writing about this ship. I was fortunate to travel on her from Sydney to Genoa, my father, going home for a visit after fourteen years of living in Australia. There was my mother and a brother and sister. It was pure adventure for a ten-year-old boy which I think led to itchy feet and my future life adventures. I remember every day a fun day except for those days my mother insisted on me doing some schoolwork. I saw some great movies twice in a day if I was so inclined. Made some wonderful friends, met some interesting people, kissed my first girl, in the elevator after pushing the emergency stop button, swam in the pool as much as I liked, had some great meals, and saw sights of the world that have stayed with me ever since. We were also able to experience two routes. On the way over through the Suez Canal, but on the return voyage the Suez was blocked with sunken ships due to the Israeli - Egyptian six-day war. The return trip was down the west coast of Africa and a stop in Cape Town.

Is there anyone out there who traveled to Italy in 1966 and on the return voyage of June (I think)1967 I cannot remember all ports of call (POC) and have been searching. Some itineraries show ports that I cannot remember and others I do. So, if someone can verify the POC it would be helpful. I am writing about the experience and remember some of it but not all.

I have - Sydney, Melbourne, I think Adelaide but haven't been able to verify this, Fremantle, Aden, Colombo, maybe - Djakarta (Jakarta), Port Said, Messina, Naples and finally Genoa. The return trip was Genoa, Naples, then I do not remember if we stopped anywhere before Cape Town, which is a long stretch from Naples to Cape Town. Then from Cape town all the way across to Freemantle, Adelaide, Melbourne and then finally Sydney. So, if anyone can shed some light for voyages of these two years, 1966 and 1967, I would be grateful. Any information of the ship and its life on the sea will be welcomed. Thank you.