2 days in Athens

the kit

We'll be dropped off in Athens from our cruise and have 2 days to take in everything before our flight home. With that being said, what area should I try to stay at to maximize our time and take in as much as possible in Athens?

We'll be dropped off in Athens from our cruise and have 2 days to take in everything before our flight home. With that being said, what area should I try to stay at to maximize our time and take in as much as possible in Athens?

When we stayed in Athens before a cruise we aimed for a hotel that was close to a Metro station for going around and a roof terrace with views of the Acropolis for the evening.

You'll have a great time!

Look at the Athens Gate Hotel -- five minutes walk to the Acropolis Museum and not much further to the Acropolis itself. Located at the edge of the Plaka and not in it as with other similar hotels such as the Electra Palace we found it to be both quiet and convenient. There is lively rooftop with bar and restaurant that looks to the Acropolis magically lit up at night. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff at the hotel were pleasant and helpful.

We spent two nights pre-cruise at the Fresh Hotel in central Athens. We took the HOHO bus one day to all of the major sites, and then spent the second day walking around the Plaka, shopping, eating, shopping, eating. Wonderful food! We were there when there were some street demonstrations and workers striking, so traffic was a bit disrupted at times.

Edited by brunello22

We spent two nights pre-cruise at the Fresh Hotel in central Athens. We took the HOHO bus one day to all of the major sites, and then spent the second day walking around the Plaka, shopping, eating, shopping, eating. Wonderful food! We were there when there were some street demonstrations and workers striking, so traffic was a bit disrupted at times.

Hi Brunello, how was your stay at the hotel? We are planning for a short pre-cruise stay in Athens and was considering the Fresh Hotel.

Any thoughts is welcome, thank you.

John

• 1 month later...

We stayed at a wonderful AirBnB about a block from the Acropolis Museum, Athens Gate, and the Acropolis. We loved it.

Fully updated and clean. Bedroom, Livingroom with pullout couch, kitchen, bathroom w/shower.

Host provided lots of information about sites and arranged transportation when we arrived from Atlanta at 9pm (he had his driver waiting with a sign) - we appreciated this SOO much after that long flight! Also arranged for the same driver to take us to the port 2 days later.

Athens is wonderfully safe. We are two women who were still walking (along with 100's of families) back to the apartment at 1130 at night.

If you want info...not sure I can post here - you can email me at: Panamoka1958 at yahoo dot com.

Judy

Hi Brunello, how was your stay at the hotel? We are planning for a short pre-cruise stay in Athens and was considering the Fresh Hotel.

Any thoughts is welcome, thank you.

John

Hi, I am VERY sorry I missed your question to my post. If you have not traveled to Athens already ... our stay at the Fresh Hotel was really lovely. We like to stay in boutique hotels, so this one fit the bill, as it was in the city center and walking distance to many places.

• 1 year later...
We stayed at a wonderful AirBnB about a block from the Acropolis Museum, Athens Gate, and the Acropolis. We loved it.

Fully updated and clean. Bedroom, Livingroom with pullout couch, kitchen, bathroom w/shower.

Host provided lots of information about sites and arranged transportation when we arrived from Atlanta at 9pm (he had his driver waiting with a sign) - we appreciated this SOO much after that long flight! Also arranged for the same driver to take us to the port 2 days later.

Athens is wonderfully safe. We are two women who were still walking (along with 100's of families) back to the apartment at 1130 at night.

If you want info...not sure I can post here - you can email me at: Panamoka1958 at yahoo dot com.

Judy

Any chance you remember the name of the AirBNB you stayed with for that trip? I prefer using them.

John,

I've considered staying in Piraeus after our cruise for one night. Did you like staying there?

Yes, very much. We booked Phidias Piraeus Hotel, close to the marina. Excellent service, friendly and very helpful. Many restaurants & shops within walking distance. Highly recommended.

John

Yes, very much. We booked Phidias Piraeus Hotel, close to the marina. Excellent service, friendly and very helpful. Many restaurants & shops within walking distance. Highly recommended.

John

John,

Thanks for the information! We may do that for an easy stop.

Thanks again!