DSC for happy cruisers

Why are you so bothered about this? It's absolutely nothing to do with you what I do.

When you don't pay your bills it will have an effect on those of us that do.

Because the crew that gets paid via the Service Charge (which isn't a tip) will

be negatively affected. Or will quit. Because they didn't get paid. Which will be the result of fifty percent of the passengers taking the cheap-out method.

I have no objections to paying the DSC, I just think it's too much to then have to tip and pay 18% gratuities as well.

I have paid the DSC on my last two cruises as well as tipping as i go and I've ended up spending too much. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Again, you don't have a clue.

The Service Charge isn't going to the staff that are involved with the 18% on drinks.

I see. You are choosing not to pay it. It has nothing to do with the service one way or the other.

The vacation you have chosen costs more than you want to spend so you're going to stiff the people who make the trip enjoyable........... Maybe you should take a vacation that fits your budget better.

Sorry what do you know about my finances to make that statement? How do you know what my budget is?

As i said previously i will tip as i see fit.

Sorry what do you know about my finances to make that statement? How do you know what my budget is?

As i said previously i will tip as i see fit.

I know what you've told us. You're not paying the DSC because your last 2 cruises cost too much. If they cost too much then either it's more than your budget can handle or your just plain cheap!

Oh wait. I think I get it now................You're just CHEAP!

I'll say it yet again....the crew gets their base contractual salary regardless of dsc

Remove dsc and they still get their base contractual salary

Leave dsc alone and the crew occasionally gets an "incentive"

What exactly is an incentive?

A crew party

Extra time off

A quarterly bonus

I doubt their weekly or biweekly paychecks are affected by removing dsc

Let's face it the only reason dsc exists is to be able to advertise lower prices

And you MUST ask your self why dsc can be removed?

Because it's discretionary which means a pax is totally within their rights to refuse to tip the laundry and maintenance crew and tip personal interactive service crew such as stewards and waiters in cash. Just like in a hotel or restaurant at home where you do not enter the hotel laundry room or the restaurant kitchen to tip staff

Before the posters get up in arms...I've never reduced dsc and give the steward extra$$ too

But I'm not stupid enough to buy into the bleeding heart theories about the dsc.

Edited by luvtheships

I have no objections to paying the DSC, I just think it's too much to then have to tip and pay 18% gratuities as well.

I have paid the DSC on my last two cruises as well as tipping as i go and I've ended up spending too much. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

FWIW the crew receiving the service charges and the 18% gratuity are two different sets of individuals- stewards and waitstaff (and support staff) get a share of the service charges, whereas barstaff and support staff get the 18% gratuity.

FWIW the crew receiving the service charges and the 18% gratuity are two different sets of individuals- stewards and waitstaff (and support staff) get a share of the service charges, whereas barstaff and support staff get the 18% gratuity.

I didn't realise that, the thing is I've always paid the service charge and the 18% gratuities as well as tipping both the steward and bar staff. I don't like the add ons by the cruise line as no one actually knows where the money goes?

My initial point was that I'd rather remove the DSC and pay staff individually so that I know they definitely recieve what was meant for them. Here in the UK we don't tend to tip for the sake of it, it's only usually if you have good or at worst standard service. If anything isn't as expected then we don't tip.

If your stateroom steward is great (which I hear so many are) and really enhances your vacation, I am curious as to how much "extra" gratuity guests leave. I say extra because according to ncl the service charges are shared with the room steward. I know this is a very personal decision but as a novice cruiser I'd like to know what other "happy" cruisers do. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I searched the threads and could not find it.

The majority of people leave their DSC intact and have met their obligation. NCL has already figured out what is right for you so why reinvent the wheel. You are supposed to receive excellent service although not always does it happen.

The whole concept of tipping is completely antiquated and old fashioned. I predict in 20 years it will be the exception instead of the rule. Instead service industries are raising prices (or as needed in their business model) to pay a living wage and tipping is discouraged. Here's an idea: how about let managers manage employees to the proper standards for excellent customer service.

Honestly I appreciate the more updated service charge concept. The whole idea of carrying around a wad of dollars and tossing them around like you're at a strip club seems somewhat seedy.

Now before anyone flames me I tip generously where the service business has not yet switched to a more modern model.

Wrong

All Ncl crew get their same weekly salary regardless of you removing dsc or not

The ones that get extra cash in hand are the ones that deserve it as they provide personal interactive service and if you feel like giving it...

That would be the...

Waiters

Stewards

Bartenders

All other shipboard employees are getting a regular weekly/biweekly salary that does not change unless they get a raise. Lol

Do you really think the engine room crew or the pool crew or the laundry or back of the house kitchen staff get variable salaries?

Come on....remove dsc or leave it on...doesn't matter as the pay checks are remaining the same for the crew

Again those that should get extra cash for personal service will get it in the form of cash in hand from pax

And no I cant cite a link that proves the above except to say....common sense folks!!!!

If crew salary varied from cruise to cruise they would not be signing new contracts!!!

Common sense. Common sense

Where has it gone???

And....Ncl purposely makes dsc discretionary for many reasons...first and foremost...if they made it sound like it was actually paying crew salary versus "tips" or "extras" for the crew provided by pax ...then it becomes income to Ncl !!!

Wrong

Goes to more than the person who serves you

The whole concept of tipping is completely antiquated and old fashioned. I predict in 20 years it will be the exception instead of the rule. Instead service industries are raising prices (or as needed in their business model) to pay a living wage and tipping is discouraged. Here's an idea: how about let managers manage employees to the proper standards for excellent customer service.

Honestly I appreciate the more updated service charge concept. The whole idea of carrying around a wad of dollars and tossing them around like you're at a strip club seems somewhat seedy.

Now before anyone flames me I tip generously where the service business has not yet switched to a more modern model.

Many service industry workers like the tip economy. Uber drivers just won a victory by forcing the company to allow them to say that tips can be accepted (previously the drivers had to use a specific phrase that indicated tips are not expected). So I suspect in some industries the tip will never disappear. Like sales commissions, tips are a way of improving performance in some jobs, and can be the major part of the compensation.

Many cruise line workers are from countries like the Philippines where tip income is not subject to income tax. The same money given to them as a wage would attract the tax, and reduce their income. So you are wise to recognize that your preference for a non-tip economy can't be imposed unilaterally without hurting "the little guy".

I always felt uncomfortable handing out tip envelopes to people on the last night of the cruise. I always felt it was a little demeaning throw cash at people to get them to do my bidding. But I did it because, despite my anglo saxon middle class cultural bias, the custom was exactly the opposite to the culture I was immersed in at that time.

I look at it this way- in a land based restaurant in the US are paid a sub-minimum wage in most states and the rest of their income comes from the tips that they receive. If the individual server does not make at least enough in tips to reach the full minimum wage the employer is obligated to make up the difference. Now, if 50% of the customers decided not to leave a tip the server's income would go down, but it would never go below the minimum wage. So if the server nets $20 an hour with tips their total income would be cut in half if people didn't leave tips and the employer has no obligation to pay them what they would have made had people left tips (over and above paying minimum wage).

So the workers on NCL that receive a portion of the service charges are probably guaranteed a minimum as you state, but if too many people remove the service charges their total income is likely affected. They'll get the minimum but they certainly won't earn what they are used to earning since NCL is under no obligation to make up that short fall.

I think you're probably right on this.

None of us really knows how NCL distributes the DSC, or what happens if everyone opts out. But, every recruitment site I've seen that talks about cruise line pay includes a variable amount for "commissions (tips)" ... usually stated that way. You can earn from $1,200 to $1,500 per month as an assistant room steward "depending on commissions (tips)".

For those worried about "a living wage" (whatever the heck that is), I found different figures for the median wage in the Philippines at about $7,500 - $8,000 annually. With the lowest paid, entry level position as an assistant room steward at about twice the median wage, I would think that is a "living wage."

I agree. What is above and beyond? I have never had a steward on a mass market ship do anything more than what they are supposed to do as part of their job.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what this above and beyond really means?

Above and beyond:

- fetching a lounger for our balcony, as we had the space, but only chairs were provided.

- greeting us by name...anytime, anywhere we saw him or her on the ship.

- running ahead of me when I was carrying a sleeping toddler to unlock my stateroom door for me and hold it open so that I could put my son to bed.

- bringing an iron and ironing board on short notice to the cabin.

- keeping the ice bucket full at all times and restocking glassware not normally found in the cabin (like wine glasses, if not in a suite).

- emptying the minibar set up.

- tracking down a more powerful hair dryer if the standard one in the cabin wasn't quite up for the task.

- extra towel animals or especially creative ones.

Stephen, you're missing my point, what I do with MY money is MY decision.

I won't be told to 'pay my bills' by anyone.

Did you pay for the cruise? Because the corporation told you to? The same corporation is ALSO telling you to pay a Service Charge. Why are you willing to obey one, and not the other?

Then stop tipping extra. Tipping is not required, once the DSC & 18% have been levied.

Stephen

Wrong

Goes to more than the person who serves you

The laundry workers the guest services staff the engine room crew ?

They need to be tipped?

Don't they get paid?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your stateroom steward is great (which I hear so many are) and really enhances your vacation, I am curious as to how much "extra" gratuity guests leave. I say extra because according to ncl the service charges are shared with the room steward. I know this is a very personal decision but as a novice cruiser I'd like to know what other "happy" cruisers do. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I searched the threads and could not find it.

Just a reminder - above is what the original poster asked. Somehow the thread has morphed into a discussion about tips, DSC, 18% gratuity and the right and wrong of it.

I choose to cruise and know the DSC and the 18% are a part of it. I choose to tip more when I (note the singular) choose to because of my own little list of stuff which has no rhyme or reason to some but does to me.

Do I feel I need a financial statement form NCL to know how my money is spent...nope no more than I would ask any other company I spend money at with the exception of those I have invested with.

Yes, DiamondGirl83 tipping may not be done in your neck of the woods but it is accepted in others. It is your choice to tip or not or remove your DSC.

Well I am retired and we are not wealthy but I just add extra $$ to our travel budget. No whining, no it's not fair, and no removing the DSC.

I will be kind of bent if they remove the UBP from the promos though...just kidding:D

Sorry but every single pax could remove the dsc in total and the crew is still getting their paycheck for the same amount

Would you take a job in the laundry room of Ncl if part of the deal was that you get paid as long as pax leave the dsc alone

However if they remove it your paycheck will be adjusted downward?

The crew gets paid regardless and even though they each have 11 mouths to feed back home and are grateful for the job that doesn't mean that Ncl pays them at whim based on wether or not pax remove dsc

The crew gets paid regardless!!

Btw just because I understand this does not mean I remove dsc

It means I'm a logical and realistic thinker and totally understand why Ncl has the dsc and exactly why Ncl uses the term discretionary and allows us to request a refund of it

You dont understand this just passing accounting 101 either

It takes much more business training and education than that and great knowledge of tax codes GAAP and GAAS

No idea if you are right or wrong about the DSC. But you do realize that every server and bartender in America is working with the understanding that they get paid only if they get tipped? True, the restaurant has to pay them minimum wage if they fail to average minimum wage through their shifts, but there were plenty of times I came in to work a lunch shift and left with $5-$10 in my pocket, just because of lack of business. I don't know if the crew gets paid the same amount regardless, but their income being contingent on DSC remaining on place isn't ridiculous; tip based income how a lot of people make a living.