Staying in Budapest after cruise

Marlster

Thinking of staying a few days in Budapest after our Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. Most Companies (we are going Scenic) will give you a price for the hotel they normally use and it seems quite expensive. I think they are also including the deviation air price on top of the price of the hotel each night. Has anyone looked into this or has done this and found out what the price of the hotel is and what the deviation price is for their stay? I have read somewhere people can get the hotel a lot cheaper than the cruieline they are with, but wondering if they have thought about the deviation price and whether it has been added on to the hotel package, thanks.

Marlster

Howdy Marlster,

Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple here.

We did this cruise last year in September on at the time Brand new Jasper and oh what a wonderful time and experience.

We were in one of the Royal Panorama Suites in the very back of the ship and oh what a magnificent view that we had.

Re your question can't really say as we had contacted Scenic about upgrading our room at the Marriott as we were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and after taking about two and a half weeks to come back with an answer that they couldn't guarantee the room we request, took upon ourselves and stayed at in fact is known as The Most Luxurious Hotel in Europe The Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel. Glad we did as located at the very end of the Chain Bridge.

General Manager was waiting in the lobby to welcome us. Had sent him an email commenting on the wonderful job that his Concerige group was doing. Found out he had also at one time lived in Sugar Land, Texas that's where we live.

Anyways will make a suggestion as to go online and make a booking for the Fisherman's Bastion. Oh what a place. Beautiful and when the sun is setting and lights to the city are turning on, like having a twinkling of a Fairyland at your feet. Excellent Restaurant. Added a Horse and Carriage to pick us up at the hotel and take us and bring us back. Awesome..

You shall truly enjoy Scenic.

We are already booked for Spectacular South of France with Paris and we are adding Nice and Monte Carlo and on the new Eclipse Cuba in Depth.

Mahalo

Gary

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Anyways will make a suggestion as to go online and make a booking for the Fisherman's Bastion. Oh what a place. Beautiful and when the sun is setting and lights to the city are turning on, like having a twinkling of a Fairyland at your feet. Excellent Restaurant. Added a Horse and Carriage to pick us up at the hotel and take us and bring us back. Awesome..

We are also going to stay in Budapest for a few days after our AMA Romantic Danube cruise in July. Thanks for the recommendation for the Fisherman's Bastion - looks fantastic. I was going to make the reservation online and was wondering if I should request anything in particular. I would guess a table by the window but anything else???

BTW we are staying at the Intercontinental - although the Four Seasons looks absolutely stunning!

Maureen

Hey Maureen,

Yes for Fisherman's Bastion either a window or out on the Patio. Place is simply unbelievable.

I myself pretty much told the Concerige at the Four Seasons what we wanted to see and do and they took care of setting up tour guides and getting tickets to the Opera and setting up the Horse and Carriage ride and just did such a Superb job. Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel is rated number 1 by TripAdvisor and in Amsterdam we stayed at the Toren Hotel also rated number 1 by TripAdvisor.

We certainly enjoyed our cruise with Scenic and like most folks in the US had booked with Viking and so glad we cancelled. Scenic was and get this $10,000 cheaper than Viking for Royal Panorama Suite compared to Explorer Suite, same time of year same itinerary. Viking wanted full payment 16 months prior to our cruise Scenic 90 days like most companies and Scenic All Inclusive not Nickel and Diming you like Viking.

Had Limousine at Airport to hotels and visa versa, private butlers in all cabins but service provided varies and glasses never ran dry. Private concerts just highly recommended by us.

Would have gone again this year but just returned from house hunting in Maui and The Big Island of Hawaii. Have an offer written and we shall see.

Mahalo

Lisa & Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Howdy Marlster,

Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple here.

We did this cruise last year in September on at the time Brand new Jasper and oh what a wonderful time and experience.

We were in one of the Royal Panorama Suites in the very back of the ship and oh what a magnificent view that we had.

Re your question can't really say as we had contacted Scenic about upgrading our room at the Marriott as we were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and after taking about two and a half weeks to come back with an answer that they couldn't guarantee the room we request, took upon ourselves and stayed at in fact is known as The Most Luxurious Hotel in Europe The Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel. Glad we did as located at the very end of the Chain Bridge.

General Manager was waiting in the lobby to welcome us. Had sent him an email commenting on the wonderful job that his Concerige group was doing. Found out he had also at one time lived in Sugar Land, Texas that's where we live.

You shall truly enjoy Scenic.

We are already booked for Spectacular South of France with Paris and we are adding Nice and Monte Carlo and on the new Eclipse Cuba in Depth.

Mahalo

Gary

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk[/quote

Thanks. I have read your review of your cruise with Scenic. Yes Viking was $1,000.00 more for us for the same cruise May 15/2017, Scenic has way way more to offer. Dont know why Viking wants your money a year ahead of time.

Do you happen to remember what the price was when Scenic did your hotel? I am sure they must add the price of the air deviation onto the hotel price, so guess I will have to wait until the air is being booked to ask them.

We are kind of thinking of taking the train to Prague, friends of ours did the same cruise and they said the place they loved the most out of all the ports was Prague. We would take the train after the cruise which ends in Budapest take the train stay in Prague for a couple nights then take the train back to Budapest, maybe stay 1 night then to airport home. Sometimes the deviation fees are so high it isn't worth it.

Where in Hawaii were you? WE were there on a cruise a year ago. boy has it every gotten expensive. WE used to own a condo there 45 yrs. ago on Maui. Friends of ours used to go there every year, when they checked for this year the rate had trippled in price and said they can keep it!!!!

Marlster

Sorry to say that we did our own hotels on our cruise as Scenic uses the Americanized hotels. Doubletree in Amsterdam and Marriott in Budapest.

As for Hawaii we started over in Maui and stayed at Kahana Village and over on the Big Island stayed at the Sands of Waikoloa.

Looked at six different homes so we shall see. Myself retired from Continental Airlines and Lisa is a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner at Texas Children's Hospital.

Can't wait for our next cruise with Scenic as all those Aussies.

My mother was Australian and I grew up most of my younger life in Melbourne. My mom and dad's wedding photos hang in the National Archives in Canberra as my mom was a professional singer with her two sisters and my dad was a rancher from West Texas.

Those Aussies certainly know how to enjoy their froths.

My email is dakota242@windstream.net

Mahalo

Gary

Do you happen to remember what the price was when Scenic did your hotel? I am sure they must add the price of the air deviation onto the hotel price, so guess I will have to wait until the air is being booked to ask them...

Marlster

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Every cruise line hotel quote I have ever seen (ocean or river) has been much higher than booking that hotel on your own -- and I have never heard the excuse that this is because it includes the air deviation fee. Sometimes they say it's because it includes transfers -- but then the 2nd and 3rd night cost the same so that doesn't make sense either. I think it's just that the cruise line is taking a cut on top of the hotel cost.

We stayed at the Marriott with executive lounge access. The lounge is very nice and there is a wonderful terrace with views up and down the river and of the castle hill.

If not a Marriott member, anyone can join to get their best rates. If over 60, there is also a senior discount.

We are going into Budapest early before our Christmas Markets cruise (Viking). I was surprised at how reasonable the top hotels were priced. We have opted for the Aria. Looks lovely and quite interesting. It was hard to choose.

The Marriott!!! Looks awful on the outside but opt for lounge access and a corner room. Hotel is right on the Danube and the views are amazing especially at night. Ask for corner river view! Wow and the prices are very reasonable

Marister- If you were willing to pay the deviation fee, why not just pick another hotel and enjoy? As others have said, there are many options and not that expensive in Budapest.

In September we are staying at the Residence Baron for 3 nights, it's a small hotel located right next to the Market Hall. Good reviews, good location, hope for the best. Not super fancy, which is good for us, both old soldiers.

My mother was Australian and I grew up most of my younger life in Melbourne. My mom and dad's wedding photos hang in the National Archives in Canberra as my mom was a professional singer with her two sisters and my dad was a rancher from West Texas.

Lonestar/Gary- Not to stray too far from cruising...look hard at the Big Island.

If you're use to Texas and Australia, Maui might get small pretty quick.

I lived on Oahu for 3 years, and the island got smaller every year. The Big Island was just that, you felt like you could stretch your legs a bit. :)

The Marriott!!! Looks awful on the outside but opt for lounge access and a corner room. Hotel is right on the Danube and the views are amazing especially at night. Ask for corner river view! Wow and the prices are very reasonable

You are correct, the Marriott is nothing special to look at since it was built in the Communist era (before it became a Marriott). But it would be hard to best the terrace view. We flew in the day before our cruise and basically got in 2 days of sightseeing before the cruise . They put out so much food in the morning and evening that we only ate one meal out and got the other 3 in the lounge. We ar not foodies. The Marriott was the Scenic pre-cruise hotel and we were able to get on the Scenic bus to the ship even though we had booked the hotel ourselves.

The Hilton at the top of Castle Hill also has beautiful views and the executive lounge is one of the best we have ever used with breakfast, lunch and dinner plus a DIY wine and beer bar. We were very impressed with the hotel staff too.

Four Seasons is a great buy since it is fantastic and probably cheaper than in most cities of the world. Worth the small splurge!

I agree! We miss it still. It was also a very convenient location for sightseeing.

The Hilton at the top of Castle Hill also has beautiful views and the executive lounge is one of the best we have ever used with breakfast, lunch and dinner plus a DIY wine and beer bar. We were very impressed with the hotel staff too.

our view from our room at the Hilton

100_0122_zpsrvbredkk.jpg

My TA did a pre-cruise Budapest pkg. for me, separate from Uniworld. She booked me at the Sofitel Chain Bridge. It was a wonderful hotel in a convenient location with a friendly staff, and not expensive. I highly recommend it if you want something moderately priced.

Roz

Four Seasons is a great buy since it is fantastic and probably cheaper than in most cities of the world. Worth the small splurge!

Thanks. good to know because we are staying there next Spring with Tauck and extra night after cruise ends. I think it was about $500 US which is cheaper than most Four Seasons.

You are correct, the Marriott is nothing special to look at since it was built in the Communist era (before it became a Marriott). But it would be hard to best the terrace view. We flew in the day before our cruise and basically got in 2 days of sightseeing before the cruise . They put out so much food in the morning and evening that we only ate one meal out and got the other 3 in the lounge. We ar not foodies. The Marriott was the Scenic pre-cruise hotel and we were able to get on the Scenic bus to the ship even though we had booked the hotel ourselves.

Thanks for the info for the Marriott everyone, sounds good. Is it extra in the price of the room to have the lounge access? so what does that mean?

I guess I will have to wait until Scenic can give me a price for the deviation air, has anyone else had to pay a deviation fee because we were staying longer and not going back on the same plane as others? We paid one when we did the Med. with Oceania, going 3 days ahead of the scheduled date advertised.

Marlster

We stayed at the Marriott with executive lounge access. The lounge is very nice and there is a wonderful terrace with views up and down the river and of the castle hill.

If not a Marriott member, anyone can join to get their best rates. If over 60, there is also a senior discount.

can you become a Marriott member doing it online?

Marlster

Marister- If you were willing to pay the deviation fee, why not just pick another hotel and enjoy? As others have said, there are many options and not that expensive in Budapest.

In September we are staying at the Residence Baron for 3 nights, it's a small hotel located right next to the Market Hall. Good reviews, good location, hope for the best. Not super fancy, which is good for us, both old soldiers.

Lonestar/Gary- Not to stray too far from cruising...look hard at the Big Island.

If you're use to Texas and Australia, Maui might get small pretty quick.

I lived on Oahu for 3 years, and the island got smaller every year. The Big Island was just that, you felt like you could stretch your legs a bit. :)

You mentioned the Market Hall, is that the big Market that people are talking about where you can buy paprika, other goodies also?

Marlster

The executive lounge you refer to, is it an extra price on top of the room rate? Is the breakfast, lunch & dinner included and also the wine & beer bar, how is that handled? thanks.I am new to this European way. Very first River cruise.

Marlster

Go online and become a Marriott member. Then go to the Marriott Budapest website and check out rooms for your date. They are very clear about room categories and which incl access to the Club lounge. And what is available in the lounge. It is more money because the rooms with access are a higher category but very very reasonable IMO

Edited by JVilleGal

The executive lounge you refer to, is it an extra price on top of the room rate? Is the breakfast, lunch & dinner included and also the wine & beer bar, how is that handled? thanks.I am new to this European way. Very first River cruise.

Marlster

You can reserve a room with access to the executive lounge (priced higher than a 'normal' room) or, if you are at a certain level in the Hilton Honors program, you can get a complementary upgrade. The food and beverage offerings were in a room next to the lounge and it was help yourself whenever and as much as desired.