Ketchikan Homeless Shelter Article

idahospud

So sad! I hope that it's because people are just not aware. We will be there in June - and I plan to stop in to make a personal contribution.

At the same time- badly written article. Could do more to answer questions about the shelter - who are the 365 that use the shelter (other than tourists) - what services do they need/are provided through the shelter?

What does the $77000 budget cover? how are funds raised? what can to the tourist community do to help?

doesn't do much help to end the article with pointing out that funds are mis-used in the community - with the bridge to nowhere.

Wow, that takes nerve. I work in nonprofit and can attest that it's so difficult to get enough donations to cover program expenses. I hope this article garners some attention in the cruising community and guilts visitors into giving at least a buck or two when they stop for coffee.

Actually, the "bridge to nowhere" would have been a bridge to the airport.

If this article had been written by a "local" it would have more credibility. This was published on May 5th and the season has just begun for the cruise ships. I would expect that most of the people using the shelter would have been people looking for adventure and probably arrived there by the Alaska ferry...and they may need shelter and food before continuing on their adventure.

Will be going on my Alaskan cruise in a few weeks and will try to file a report about my experience with those at the shelter. I hope to stop by there to find out more about the story, see what the shelter offers for the community, and make a donation providing it all checks out (which I'm sure it does). I'm all about traveling with social responsibility, and as member of the hospitality industry myself, I wish more visitors would partake, give, and educate themselves in the communities that they're going into. Thank you for sharing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just read this article, as well, and was going to post it. I have to say that I am heartened by the people who are already saying they will be stopping by and making donations, etc., to help. This place is always a good way to spread the word and get some positive energy flowing!

While we don't have an Alaska cruise coming up (have done it in the past, though), I am also going to contact Princess (our preferred line) and suggest they may want to start making some announcements aboard ship as part of their port information to help prevent this kind of thing in the future.

I google-earthed and google-street-viewed the homeless shelter. I'm a bit surprised that they see enough cruisers in there than an article was warranted. It seems a bit "off the beaten path" for most cruisers. JMHO though.

Interesting. I can't imagine going to a homeless shelter to use their facilities in any way. I think that is the height of rudeness. Look at me - I'm rich coming off the big cruise ship and you? Well, you can't even afford your own home let alone the trip we are on.

If this article had been written by a "local" it would have more credibility. This was published on May 5th and the season has just begun for the cruise ships. I would expect that most of the people using the shelter would have been people looking for adventure and probably arrived there by the Alaska ferry...and they may need shelter and food before continuing on their adventure.

If I read the caption under the photo correctly, it originally came from a "local" - Nick Bowman/Ketchikan Daily News.

Having been to Alaska, I know that a lot of people stay in town and simply walk through the shops. Not everyone goes out on excursions. So, the people quoted could very well be discussing numbers from last year, not necessarily this season.

The bottom line is that people coming off a cruiseship should not be that hungry or thirsty that they have to use that which is designated for less fortunate people - and then not even leave money to help replace the food items!

Honestly, they should just put a sign out "Not for Cruise Ship Passengers or Tourists." If I was running the place I would have no trouble turning the less than needy away.

I am another that would not visit a shelter for the bathrooms.

However, I can imagine some that will.

• where are the public washrooms in Ketchikan?
  • how full is that cruiser's bladder after walking around town?
  • if they see another using it on that trip.... others will. Herd mentality.
  • sadly, I can imagine some of my relatives doing it.... they can't read English.... and perhaps food on a counter can be confused as "sampling".... much like when walking around some supermarkets.
  • looking at Google Maps.... The building appears to blend into the town's other public buildings.
  • in some countries.... "paid" public bathrooms are the norm. It may be a revenue making opportunity to charge $2 to use the facility and be a revenue generator for the shelter. If that bladder is full.... it's amazing what people willing pay... especially seniors. People pay to visit Mendenhall's washrooms (along with the visitor center).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.3432047,-131.6446819,3a,60.1y,70.2h,77.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFKPwFEzgOHGsWFj6GUYQqw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

That's the wrong building. The shelter is located in the Methodist church at 400 Main St, and is only one block back Water St. So, it is definitely easy for the tourists to stumble upon it.

There are actually three different homeless facilities in Ketchikan so there is obviously a need in the area.