Power Strip?

ettacandy

Does Oceania allow its guests to bring a power strip on board? If so, is there a particular brand? I've seen on other forums mention of Belkin, but didn't know if this was required or merely preferred.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Amy

Yes Belkin travel strip is my favorite as it has multiple adapters plus 2 USB plugs for charging iPads/phones.

One caution is that you should avoid strips that have surge surpressors

Multi gang sockets , nasty things , overload and fire risk ultimately .

If it were my ship I would be concerned about them being used , but it's not , so are there any rules from Oceania about such devices ? In the small print

Multi gang sockets , nasty things , overload and fire risk ultimately .

If it were my ship I would be concerned about them being used , but it's not , so are there any rules from Oceania about such devices ? In the small print

The fine print is in your cruise docs. I agree that power strips are worthless and surge suppressors are a major "no-no" on a cruise ship.

The fine print is in your cruise docs. I agree that power strips are worthless and surge suppressors are a major "no-no" on a cruise ship.

I went ahead and bought one without the surge protector. Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Thanks buggins, I don't carry one either but often see them recommended and if I'd been choosing one I'd have thought surge protection was a good idea until I read this!

The things one learns on cruise critic.

We have used power strips for years on cruise ships but plan on using something new on our upcoming cruise (smaller, lighter, etc.)

One choice is one where you can use plugs or USB. Here is a link http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Swivel-Travel-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462652215&sr=1-5&keywords=plugs+with+usb A problem could be trying to fit three plugs next to each other if they are large.

We mainly need extra plugs for our phone, Kindle, etc. so we plan on taking two small items:

1. This portable battery charger is small, very lightweight and will charge your phone, tablet or whatever takes USB connector while you are using it. We will have it on the plane so I can charge my Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Portable-Charger-Hi-Speed-Battery/dp/B00VSE7FS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

2. Since I'll be using a portable battery charger, at the end of the day I'll only need to charge the charger and will use this.http://www.amazon.com/USB-Wall-Charger-Intelligent-Smartphones/dp/B0132X03HQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462652754&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+plugs+for+kindles+and+phones

There are all kinds of configurations available. IMO, the smaller, the better!

We have used power strips for years on cruise ships but plan on using something new on our upcoming cruise (smaller, lighter, etc.)

One choice is one where you can use plugs or USB. Here is a link http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Swivel-Travel-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462652215&sr=1-5&keywords=plugs+with+usb A problem could be trying to fit three plugs next to each other if they are large.

We mainly need extra plugs for our phone, Kindle, etc. so we plan on taking two small items:

1. This portable battery charger is small, very lightweight and will charge your phone, tablet or whatever takes USB connector while you are using it. We will have it on the plane so I can charge my Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Portable-Charger-Hi-Speed-Battery/dp/B00VSE7FS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

2. Since I'll be using a portable battery charger, at the end of the day I'll only need to charge the charger and will use this.http://www.amazon.com/USB-Wall-Charger-Intelligent-Smartphones/dp/B0132X03HQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462652754&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+plugs+for+kindles+and+phones

There are all kinds of configurations available. IMO, the smaller, the better!

TC..You might want to read through the thread link I posted above. I believe that is the same power strip mentioned in thread. It has a surge protector, which is a fire hazard on ships.

Edited by buggins0402

TC..You might want to read through the thread link I posted above. I believe that is the same power strip mentioned in thread. It has a surge protector, which is a fire hazard on ships.

Hi - I double checked myself and there are two versions with the same "look". The one I linked above does not have the surge protector but this one does: http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-SurgePlus-Protector-BST300/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I haven't purchased either unit but plan on using the USB portable charger with the small plug. Thanks for bringing up the possibility that I linked the wrong thing....... have definitely done that before:-)

Hi - I double checked myself and there are two versions with the same "look". The one I linked above does not have the surge protector but this one does: http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-SurgePlus-Protector-BST300/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I haven't purchased either unit but plan on using the USB portable charger with the small plug. Thanks for bringing up the possibility that I linked the wrong thing....... have definitely done that before:-)

I haven't a clue on these things..but on all matters dealing with ship infrastructure, chengkp is the CC authority. Are you sure the one you linked does not have a surge protector?

I haven't a clue on these things..but on all matters dealing with ship infrastructure, chengkp is the CC authority. Are you sure the one you linked does not have a surge protector?
''

What did chengkp say about this? All I can say is that Amazon indicated that one has a surge protector and the other doesn't. I can't guarantee anything, however, since they have two versions, it makes sense to me.

''

What did chengkp say about this? All I can say is that Amazon indicated that one has a surge protector and the other doesn't. I can't guarantee anything, however, since they have two versions, it makes sense to me.

LOL!....I'm an accountant so I haven't a clue. But, in the thread he appears to say all the Belkin's have some surge/ voltage protection.

Travelcat,

We too mostly use plugs to recharge our phone, iPads and camera. Bought this a couple if weeks ago, works great and I won't have to take all those plug ins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Since I am basically cheap, and don't want to buy a bunch of these multi-USB chargers and tear them apart to look inside, I am currently waiting on some correspondence with several manufacturers of these type devices to see what their definition of "surge or overvoltage protection" is, and what circuitry they use to obtain this.

At present, my recommendation would be:

Any thing similar to the Belkin unit that everyone likes that has both power outlets and USB outlets, and has a 3-prong plug is most likely surge protected (mainly for the power outlets, but protecting the entire device), and if it has a small green LED labeled "protected" on it, it is definitely surge protected.

I'm beginning to think that a pure USB charger, regardless of a listing of "surge protection" or "overvoltage protection", and that has only a 2-prong plug does not have the same circuitry that a power outlet utilizes, and therefore does not present the same danger. I don't want to get too technical here, as has happened on other threads, so I will leave it at that.

So, right now, I would recommend a multi-USB charger without power outlets, and a simple outlet multiplier for power applications.

Hopefully, I will get some answers, and some feel for industry standards, and I will be able to make a blanket set of recommendations on all forums here on CC in the near future.