Dress codes for Children

vanrhyn

What is the dress code for children aged 8 and 11? What do they need to wear on Formal nights, that is do they have to have jackets or is a dress shirt fine? How about for the casual nights?

I noticed on our Christmas cruise that the young people (say under twenty and down to probably seven) were very well dressed. That said, I'm sure that a dress shirt will put yours right in the running for sharp dressed. For casual they will be fine as long as they aren't in swimsuits, shorts or shabby jeans. Perhaps no jeans since they will not have the same flexibility as the aged to say they will dress as they please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The dress code doesn't differentiate between children and adults as to how they should dress.

That said, the dress code no longer calls for a jacket w/tie for males; a shirt w/collar (same as smart casual night) meets the code on Gala night.

So, your idea of a dress shirt is fine.

The dress code is the same for everyone. That said, there are no more "formal" nights but what are termed "gala" nights. If you search "gala night" on this board you'll find numerous threads discussing the dress code.

Do make sure that the shirt is long sleeved. Short sleeve Hawaiian shirts did not work on Gala Nights on the Volendam. Those diners with short sleeves were given oversized jackets to wear to dinner.

Dress shirt and slacks will be fine. Technically, I think that a polo shirt would do. Jackets are allowed, of course - and might make for nicer photos - but they're not required. Enjoy your trip!

Are you actually suggesting that if an 8 or 11year old child is wearing a short sleeved shirt (Hawaiian or otherwise) on Gala evening in the MDR HAL will hand each of those children a jacket and ask the to wear it? Really?

Somehow I do not think so.

Edited by iancal

Do make sure that the shirt is long sleeved. Short sleeve Hawaiian shirts did not work on Gala Nights on the Volendam. Those diners with short sleeves were given oversized jackets to wear to dinner.
I see that you were last on the Volendam more than three years ago, long before Formal nights changed to Gala. I doubt that same thing would happen today.

Edited by jtl513

Our experience is that there is a world of difference between what the cruise line says or does not say, what some people infer is the code, and what some people infer is the code because that is what they want to see. Then there is what really happens and it is very different from the above. And ignore the usual parenting advice that some posters seem to think you are asking for. I am certain that you are a wonderful parent.

You children will be just fine if they are neat and clean. Dress shirts and dress pants are not necessary.

Our advice....don't spend even two minutes worrying about the dress code for your children. Spend you time, instead, enjoying the anticipation of a very nice cruise with your family.

The dress code doesn't differentiate between children and adults as to how they should dress...

That is why it is called "dress suggestions" rather than a "dress code". Only the most pretentious would suggest that an 8 year old should be wearing a tux or suit to the MDR.

That is why it is called "dress suggestions" rather than a "dress code". Only the most pretentious would suggest that an 8 year old should be wearing a tux or suit to the MDR.

When that was the code, that's what they wore. There's nothing "pretentious" about following the rules.

There certainly is an issue if a parent considers the code, as it applied to orwas interpreted for children of that age, to be pretentious.

We agree with tip. It was 'make believe' carried to extreme levels.

Edited by iancal

Umm.. These are children..When were you last on the Volendam?

Are you actually suggesting that if an 8 or 11year old child is wearing a short sleeved shirt (Hawaiian or otherwise) on Gala evening in the MDR HAL will hand each of those children a jacket and ask the to wear it? Really?

I agree with you! We've seen many little boys wearing short sleeve shirts even with bow ties & short pants & they look adorable.. IMO they should be able to dress like children going out with their Parents, as long as their clothes are neat & clean until they reach the teen years.. Then they can adhere to the Suggested not mandatory dress code..

Last year on a Mediterranean cruise my 11 year old son was in his suit. He loved being in the suit. We had been to a wedding the year before and he was mad I only had him wear a shirt and tie and he wanted a suit. He is the type of kid which would wear a shirt and tie to school because he enjoys it. That said, he was not over or under dressed on our cruise. If your children would enjoy dressing up and it is in your budget go for it. If the thought of a suit gives them hives why put them trough it. I only remember what my family was wearing. I have the picture of my husband helping my son with is tie(which he can now do himself), and my husband hates dressing up. My husband is a police officer and would prefer to never wear a tie again. But my son enjoyed every bit of dressing up. If it works for your family to dress up and you want the pictures go for it. If you will get more out of your vacation by not dressing up I don't think you will feel out of place.

Edited by Rangers76

Could someone please tell me what Smart casual is? as apposed to dumb casual.

And if a shirt and pants are acceptable for the youngster on a Gala evening then surely on casual nights they could come in their PJ's. I doubt anyone would be offended and many would think it cute.

Umm.. These are children..When were you last on the Volendam?

I IMO they should be able to dress like children going out with their Parents, SIZE]

I fully agree and our daughter always was so dressed. During the day time when ever we went out as a family she wore a nice dress, gloves and proper shoes. For resort wear a pretty long to the floor gown was well received by all. (daughter was 10) My wife also wore a long to the floor gown and I wore a suit as it was not formal just fine resort wear. We danced to the orchestra and had a fine time.

Teach your children the finer things in life and they will strive and have them as they grow up. Teach them anything goes and they will be satisfied with just getting along.

Could someone please tell me what Smart casual is? as apposed to dumb casual.
For men, collared shirt, slacks, real shoes (not sandals/flip flops). No tees, tank tops, shorts, etc. Church attire, not beach. Edited by jtl513

For men, collared shirt, slacks, real shoes (not sandals/flip flops). No tees, tank tops, shorts, etc. Church attire, not beach.

Church attire requires suit and tie. Is that what is meant by smart casual if so I am in. otherwise I fine it to be similar to what I wear when working in the yard and not conducive to an elegant cruise.

Church attire requires suit and tie. Is that what is meant by smart casual if so I am in. otherwise I fine it to be similar to what I wear when working in the yard and not conducive to an elegant cruise.

I guess you haven't been to church for a decade or two.

I guess you haven't been to church for a decade or two.

No I guess our church as never needed to lower its standards to attract parishioners. We do enjoy looking our best at service but then we also enjoy looking our best 24/7 for all occasions.

No, I wasn't. The kids will be exempt. I am sorry I didn't clarify. Just thought it was a good place to mention that short sleeve, collared shirts will not work for gentlemen on Gala night. We saw lots of jackets being handed out to those with polo and Hawaiian shirts. Just thought I would give a head up. Not sure why I bothered!

Edited by Storylady