All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We're anticipating our first Avalon cruise, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether they're willing to clear out the minibar and let you use the fridge for your own drinks. On a Viking cruise two years ago, we asked our cabin steward, and he removed all the prestocked items from the minibar so that we could store soft drinks in the fridge.

FuelScience

We're anticipating our first Avalon cruise, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether they're willing to clear out the minibar and let you use the fridge for your own drinks. On a Viking cruise two years ago, we asked our cabin steward, and he removed all the prestocked items from the minibar so that we could store soft drinks in the fridge.

FuelScience

We had them do that for us on our two cruises. We kept some chocolate and cheese and champagne in ours. Who needs soft drinks? Lol. Enjoy

We had them do that for us on our two cruises. We kept some chocolate and cheese and champagne in ours. Who needs soft drinks? Lol. Enjoy

Thanks Got2Cruise! We'll see about keeping something other than soft drinks cool as well!!

FuelScience

If you're willing to do stairs, we really like a a little B&B called misc eatdrinksleep. It's just off of Nieuwmarkt Square, about 10 minutes walk from Centraal Station.

FuelScience

Thanks Fuelscience for this information, will have to think about the stairs, looks great though.

Thanks Fuelscience for this information, will have to think about the stairs, looks great though.
]

I forgot to mention that the staff will get your bags too and from your room, so you won't have to haul them up the stairs.

FuelScience

Doing my first river cruise on Avalon in less than a month now. We will be on the Passion from Budapest to Nuremburg 7/17/16 - 7/24/16 then off on a DIY tour of Germany (visiting friends) and few days in the south of France. Will provide an update here when I get back.

Can't wait.

We are also on the Highlights of Germany cruise late August. We have done many Caribbean cruises but have not done a river cruise. When should we receive info on tours offered by Avalon? Do most people do the free tour in the morning and skip the paid tours or are they worthwhile?

Sounds like we might be on the same Highlights of Germany cruise. We depart Passau August 22, 2016 on Avalon's ship the Visionary. This is our first river cruise as well. We are from St. Louis, Mo and traveling with family and friends from the Philadelphia area. Would love to get acquainted with you before we cruise. We are arriving in Munich a few date early to see some sights. Have you heard what hotel Avalon is using in Munich? Will pay our trip in full next week and then probably book a couple extra excursions.

Thanks,

Karen

Thanks for starting the Avalon thread. We are booked on Tranquility II for a Christmas Markets river cruise from Zurich to Prague Nov 2017. This will be our first river cruise. We are frequent cruisers on Celebrity and are looking forward to the river cruise experience.

Linda (and John)

Edited by las928

Thanks for starting this thread. We will be on Avalon in mid-September from Amsterdam to Budapest. It will be our first river cruise. I was a little worried because some Friends of ours took their first river boat cruise on AMA. They were going on and on and on about how great AMA was. I was beginning to think that maybe we had picked the wrong river cruise company. but based on these comments I think we're going to have a great time.

Thanks for starting this thread. We will be on Avalon in mid-September from Amsterdam to Budapest. It will be our first river cruise. I was a little worried because some Friends of ours took their first river boat cruise on AMA. They were going on and on and on about how great AMA was. I was beginning to think that maybe we had picked the wrong river cruise company. but based on these comments I think we're going to have a great time.

It's like ocean cruises. Some love Princess others love Royal and others love Celebrity. There might be subtle differences, but many similarities.

We did your very same itinerary mid Sept 2015 Amsterdam to Budapest aboard the Avalon Illumination. Your will enjoy it the Avalon experience. First class, great food, beautiful ship. The cabins are lovely.

For those of you who have done an Avalon cruise with the Paris-Remich connection, does the optional excursion to Luxembourg include the American Cemetery there? It's not mentioned in the description of the excursion on the Avalon web page.

FuelScience

Thanks to all who have already posted.... I'll be following this thread. My husband and I are seriously contemplating a 7-night Paris -> Beaches of Normandy cruise on Avalon this fall, if we can work out all the logistics. It would be our first river cruise, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Edited by MMLEsq

Thanks to all who have already posted.... I'll be following this thread. My husband and I are seriously contemplating a 7-night Paris -> Beaches of Normandy cruise on Avalon this fall, if we can work out all the logistics. It would be our first river cruise, so I'm crossing my fingers.

We were on this cruise last September 22-29 on the Creativity. Highlights for us were Monet's gardens in Giverny, the Normandy Beaches, and of course, Paris! It was our second Avalon cruise; the first was the Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest. We loved both cruises and were very pleased with Avalon. I'd be happy to answer any questions..

Hi Kathy & All,

We're doing Budapest to Prague 8/24...I'm pretty far a long in planning but will probably have some Avalon specific questions...

Can we bring wine on board? I'm thinking maybe while we're sightseeing we would want to pick up a bottle. My husband likes to have a glass in the cabin before dinner.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Kathy & All,

We're doing Budapest to Prague 8/24...I'm pretty far a long in planning but will probably have some Avalon specific questions...

Can we bring wine on board? I'm thinking maybe while we're sightseeing we would want to pick up a bottle. My husband likes to have a glass in the cabin before dinner.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, you can bring wine on board. The rooms have small refrigerators that are stocked but you can ask to have items removed to make space for your own items. Not sure if you can bring a bottle to the lounge area though..

Yes, you can bring wine on board. The rooms have small refrigerators that are stocked but you can ask to have items removed to make space for your own items. Not sure if you can bring a bottle to the lounge area though..

You are correct and they have no problem with your bringing wine on board. We just filled our glasses when we were going to the lounge and drank the wine there. Even if you leave your wine glasses in the lounge after you finish, you will have clean wine glasses in your room after they service it.

Cole

The year we went to Luxembbourg there was a separate trip that was in the Footsteps of George Patton. There was a tour of the American cemetary. My last trip, 2 years ago, did not have that tour.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, it didn't take us long to work out the logistics and we've booked the cruise I mentioned above today. We're in a Panorama Suite on the Royal Deck of the the Paris -> Beaches of Normandy cruise that departs on October 1st. (Anyone else here on that sailing?) My husband mentioned that he's actually more excited for the Avalon cruise than he is for the New England/Canada cruise we're doing on the Grandeur of the Seas next month. (We've already done that itinerary, so it wasn't really a surprise to hear him say that.)

Karen, we are going on the cruise only part of the Highlights of Germany so we won't be joining the group til the 25th. We are going to tour southern Germany/Austria on our own before the cruise. Karen (quite a common name when I was born).

Hi Karen, we wil look for you once on the cruise. We are going into Munich a couple days earlier and doing some sights on our own too. Have hired a private driver to take us on the Romantic Road and to the Steiff Museum (German teddy bears) Anything you have planned we should't miss?

Thanks, Karen

We took the same cruise several years ago but stayed at the Holiday Inn Montparnasse. It was about a block and a half from the Pullman at a fraction of the price. It was a perfectly lovely hotel, and we were extremely pleased. Montparnasse is a great neighborhood within walking distance to many sites. Lots of great restaurants, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Karen, we wil look for you once on the cruise. We are going into Munich a couple days earlier and doing some sights on our own too. Have hired a private driver to take us on the Romantic Road and to the Steiff Museum (German teddy bears) Anything you have planned we should't miss?

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen, We are going to Fussen to visit Ludwig's castles, Zugspritze, and make our way to Salzburg before reaching Passau to join the cruise, Karen