All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Thank you s35flyer and gnome12.  I needed to know if I could book the bus onboard.  That is good information. 

We have spent considerable time in Amsterdam over the years and have always taken the train to the airport. We just thought this sounded smoother. 

1 hour ago, Spideysmum said:

Thank you s35flyer and gnome12.  I needed to know if I could book the bus onboard.  That is good information. 

We have spent considerable time in Amsterdam over the years and have always taken the train to the airport. We just thought this sounded smoother. 

I don't think that included transportation is necessarily a bus. People don't depart at the same time. For people heading to the airport on disembarkation day, they will canvass and ask what time your flight is. Depending on the numbers going at any given time, you might be in a private taxi or a small van or a bus. If you don't have an included transfer, I'm not sure that trying to add yourself to an existing transfer will make a lot of sense.

This isn't like an ocean cruise transfer from, for example, Southampton to Heathrow where there will be coach buses going at multiple times to accommodate many passengers. River cruise passengers frequently depart in 2s and 4s.

Edited by gnome12

31 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think that included transportation is necessarily a bus. People don't depart at the same time. For people heading to the airport on disembarkation day, they will canvass and ask what time your flight is. Depending on the numbers going at any given time, you might be in a private taxi or a small van or a bus. If you don't have an included transfer, I'm not sure that trying to add yourself to an existing transfer will make a lot of sense.

This isn't like an ocean cruise transfer from, for example, Southampton to Heathrow where there will be coach buses going at multiple times to accommodate many passengers. River cruise passengers frequently depart in 2s and 4s.

Okay. No problem.  I’m overthinking situation.  Taking a taxi directly to hotel works. Thanks. It reminded me that we have an up to $250 transfer to and from dock from TA. 😃. Lol. 

Spideysmum - there are car services that can take you to the airport also.  While a little more in cost than the bus they are cheaper than the transport.  I found one on travelocity and one on the Port board for Amsterdam.   You have plenty of time to get it figured out.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 2:25 PM, Barbrox said:

Hi. We are getting ready to pay our full fare for the Burgundy- Provence trip in May. We also booked 2 days inParis and 1 in Marseilles . My question for anyone who has done the land portion with Avalon is: 

how thorough are the included excursions of Paris? Should we be looking to make our own plans ?

The biggest issue in Paris with Avalon after that cruise (IMHO) was the location of the hotel.  it was not central at all.  It was great from the perspective of getting to the airport (airport bus stopped right outside) but it was horrible from a sightseeing perspective.  Now, I have been to Paris a few times - so I am comfortable making my own way around the city - but there are definitely "better" places to stay if you are planning a stay on your own.  Not sure if their hotel has changed since I was there with them (about 5 years ago....).

I found their included tour pretty standard --> bus takes you to see many of the "major" sites (mostly drive by...), guides are knowledgeable etc.   but, if you want an in-depth experience,  you might not feel this meets your expectations. 

There is no way you can see even a fraction of Paris in the length of time you are there.  If there is something you *really* want to see - and want to have lots of time to spend there, book on your own.  But - if you have not been before, the included tour is a good way to get a taste of what makes Paris so magical.

Fran

40 minutes ago, franski said:

The biggest issue in Paris with Avalon after that cruise (IMHO) was the location of the hotel.  it was not central at all.  It was great from the perspective of getting to the airport (airport bus stopped right outside) but it was horrible from a sightseeing perspective.  Now, I have been to Paris a few times - so I am comfortable making my own way around the city - but there are definitely "better" places to stay if you are planning a stay on your own.  Not sure if their hotel has changed since I was there with them (about 5 years ago....).

I found their included tour pretty standard --> bus takes you to see many of the "major" sites (mostly drive by...), guides are knowledgeable etc.   but, if you want an in-depth experience,  you might not feel this meets your expectations. 

There is no way you can see even a fraction of Paris in the length of time you are there.  If there is something you *really* want to see - and want to have lots of time to spend there, book on your own.  But - if you have not been before, the included tour is a good way to get a taste of what makes Paris so magical.

Fran

Two days in Paris is practically no time at all so I would make sure to stay centrally located, somewhere in the 1st to 6th arr. you want to be able to walk everywhere not depend on public transport.

i have been to Paris 30+ times and still find new things every time I go there.

Edited by ptrpanpens

Barbrox- Avalon used this hotel for my Seine trip in 2016. I was there in May and there was  lot of flooding. The ship was stuck in Rouen and Avalon bused us into Paris to finish the trip and put us up at the Hotel du Collectionneur Arc du Triumph.  It is a 5 star hotel that is about a 10 min walk to the Arc du Triumph.  There was a metro stop within walking distance that made it convenient to explore Paris. I enjoyed the hotel and thought the location was great. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, YoungDubFan said:

Barbrox- Avalon used this hotel for my Seine trip in 2016. I was there in May and there was  lot of flooding. The ship was stuck in Rouen and Avalon bused us into Paris to finish the trip and put us up at the Hotel du Collectionneur Arc du Triumph.  It is a 5 star hotel that is about a 10 min walk to the Arc du Triumph.  There was a metro stop within walking distance that made it convenient to explore Paris. I enjoyed the hotel and thought the location was great. 

That is good news!!  I was very honest about the location of the hotel in my review of the trip - so maybe others voiced the same concern.  A 10 minute walk to the Arc du Triumph sounds like a great location....

Fran

"Houston we (may) have a problem"😲

Our cruise ends in St Louis France and we fly out of Marseilles.  The description of the last days show  that the leg from Arles to Port Louis is an "Evening Cruise to Port Louis". It also states that ""Flights should not leave Marseille airport before 10 AM"

Our flight from Marseilles to Heathrow has an ETA of 12:00 with a departure from Heathrow scheduled for 1:30. The 90 minutes between flights doesn't seem like enough time!

We are thinking of changing our flight from Marseille to early (7:30ish).  What time does an "Evening cruise to...." actually put the ship into port and can we arrange to debark early?

We much appreciate any ideas and help!

Keith 

3 hours ago, Playtennis said:

Our cruise ends in St Louis France and we fly out of Marseilles.  The description of the last days show  that the leg from Arles to Port Louis is an "Evening Cruise to Port Louis". It also states that ""Flights should not leave Marseille airport before 10 AM"

Our flight from Marseilles to Heathrow has an ETA of 12:00 with a departure from Heathrow scheduled for 1:30. The 90 minutes between flights doesn't seem like enough time!

We are thinking of changing our flight from Marseille to early (7:30ish).  What time does an "Evening cruise to...." actually put the ship into port and can we arrange to debark early?

Keith 

I suggest you follow their advisory and not book a flight before 1000.  A departure of 0730 means you’d have to leave the ship by around 0330 to allow an hour travel time. 
your 90 minute connection at LHR should be quite doable. BA recommends an hour for connections within the same terminal  and 90 minutes if you have to change terminals. 
Variables include your physical capabilities to walk quickly, and where you’re sitting on the inbound flight.  A seat near the front of the plane can be worth 10-15 minutes.  
Of course, there’s always the potential for your first flight to be delayed, too. 
But what I would NOT count on is the ship arriving several hours earlier than scheduled to accommodate pax who did not adhere to the advisory. 

You’ll be doing yourself a big favor by booking a later connection in London- or a totally different connection city that allows for more transfer time. It’ll take a lot of stress off of you and you won’t be spending the last few days of your trip worrying about your flight home.  

3 hours ago, Playtennis said:

Keith 

Are both flights on the same ticket? If so, the airline should look after you if you miss their connection. (They also transfer your luggage.) Since I see that you are from South Carolina, you may have another connection in the States which would also be messed up, so I would hesitate to do it.

If they are on 2 separate tickets, I think that you have a real problem if you can't change the flight out of Heathrow. The only solution might be to leave the cruise a day early to get to Marseille for that 7:30 flight or get to London the night before.

Kenster,

Thank you for your sage advice.  In fact, it has been confirmed by British Air.

I just got off the phone with them to find that there are two reasons why the 90 minutes between flights is NOT (and it was emphasized) a problem.  First is that we land and take off in the same terminal (3).  Second - and the vision of this one had me in stitches - there are 100 people on our flight from Marseilles getting on the same flight to Miami!  I can just envision 100 people marching in military like columns and whistling the "Colonel Bogey March" (from the Bridge Over the River Kwai) through the terminal!!

They ain't gonna let 100 people miss a flight!  Probably a lot of them from our cruise!

For ladies slacks and a pretty top. Not fancy though we had a lady or two who got a bit carried away. Tell the boss I wore “J Jill, Chico’s & Talbots” nice play clothes. Did not wear 3/4 of what I brought and laundry service was lovely.

4 minutes ago, JVilleGal said:

For ladies slacks and a pretty top. Not fancy though we had a lady or two who got a bit carried away. Tell the boss I wore “J Jill, Chico’s & Talbots” nice play clothes. Did not wear 3/4 of what I brought and laundry service was lovely.

JvilleGal,

Wow! You must have been hovering on the site!! Thanks.

As for me I'm probably not going to take my painting clothes with me 😏

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JVilleGal said:

Good idea, a pair clean blue jeans,  a pair of khakis and Pair of nice shorts and that’s all my hubby took. But he is a chronic under packer! 🙂

Add to the cruise a week in Paris (we MUST see the French Open!) and a week in the Dordogne River Valley area means that we'll need a few more things.  

For our Rhine cruise last year, the only "rule" for the dining room at dinner was no shorts.  Most wore golf shirts or nicer plain t-shirts (v-neck), sleeveless blouses etc.  I seem to remember one guy wore a suit and tie for the formal night, but even then, it was stressed you didn't have to dress up.  

The thing I really liked about Avalon, they wanted you to enjoy your cruise, not worry about how you were dressed.  Staff were great, they made an effort to get to know you and were a lot of fun to be with.

I'm celebrating tonight.  I just made the final payment on my May 6th Tulip Time cruise!  😃  Everything is in place - cruise, air, hotel.  Now just have to wait until February 6th when further excursion information becomes available.  I'm glad to hear that no formal wear is required.  I  need the extra room for gifts and souvenirs. LOL

7 minutes ago, suntan said:

I'm celebrating tonight.  I just made the final payment on my May 6th Tulip Time cruise!  😃  Everything is in place - cruise, air, hotel.  Now just have to wait until February 6th when further excursion information becomes available.  I'm glad to hear that no formal wear is required.  I  need the extra room for gifts and souvenirs. LOL

I made the final payment a few weeks ago and last Sunday booked excursions for our April 4 Tulip time. They make it SO easy. 

And we, as well, are happy about the less formal atmosphere...as we live in jeans. 😃