All Things Avalon

FuelScience

35 minutes ago, s35flyer said:

Your correct small stuff is needed I forgot about the guides and stuff.  Regardless just go to any atm and withdraw.  Euros are easy to come across 

Lol  we just went through our stash of euros   Smallest is €10   I’m sure we will break some into euro coins in Brussels...just don’t have any in the travel drawer right now   

8 hours ago, suntan said:

Kenster and notamermaid:  Thank you for your comments.   Hopefully in May there won't be able problems with the river we're sailing on.

May is certainly a month with few problems overall statistically.

Enjoy.

notamermaid

19 hours ago, Spideysmum said:

Ok   We’ve already paid the gratuities ....husband was just asking about extra to bartenders or room service   He usually gives extra to waiters and room stewards at the end of cruise..the larger denominations will do then   And, yes thanks for the heads up about guides    

If you've prepaid your gratuities, then you can do what we did.  On our last day, we gave those who we felt went over and above with service (it was hard, as all the crew on our ship were fantastic) a bit extra.  They give you two envelopes on the last evening.  One for crew, the other for the Cruise Director (who is a contract person, not considered "staff").  If you pre-paid, you will get coupons in your documents that you put in the envelopes.  Otherwise, you pay Euros.  I don't remember if they said you could pay at the desk, sorry.  You leave the envelopes in a box at the reception desk.  

We really only needed small coins (single eruos or smaller) for bathrooms etc or if we stopped for a beer.  Since we pre-paid everything (excursions, gratuities etc), we really didn't need much money.  Hopefully our Danube cruise will be the same.

1 hour ago, newcruiser1956 said:

Cambodia School Tour - Mekong River

Can anyone give us an idea of how many kids,  how much stuff should we bring??

We didn't bring anything - just gave cash through the cruise director who collected from anyone willing. One family brought a bag of stuff - pencils, paper, magnets  or something similar. Honestly - money is most useful AND easiest because you don't have to add weight in your bags. Most NGOs prefer money - they can get more, and what they need. 

5 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

We didn't bring anything - just gave cash through the cruise director who collected from anyone willing. One family brought a bag of stuff - pencils, paper, magnets  or something similar. Honestly - money is most useful AND easiest because you don't have to add weight in your bags. Most NGOs prefer money - they can get more, and what they need. 

CASH IS KING:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

What a great thread thank you for all your comments I just read all 48 pages.

We will be sailing on May 12 on the Romantic Rhine going from Amsterdam to Basel.

I was wondering if anyone remembers how long you’re in Cologne doing the Southbound cruise it says we arrive in the afternoon but I’d like to know approximately the time the boat usually pulls in ? We were hoping to do the Jewish heritage tour (2 hours) and the chocolate factory tour after?

If anyone needs any information on the Paris to Normandy cruise or the active and discovery on the Rhine I have done both of those. Both were amazing!

Can’t wait for May! We are going a day early and doing 1 day Basel and 2 days Zurich after the trip!

Happy Planning!

Did this cruise last April.  We got into Cologne right right about breakfast time.  If I recall the excursion we took left the ship around 10 Am.  We got a little bored with it and left on our own after getting to the church area.  Hint, there is a bar/restaurant to the left across the street as you look at the front of the church.  It is fun, great food and of course the local beer.  We hung out there for several hours.  I think it was Gaffel Kolsch.  Kolsch is the famous beer that Cologne is known for.  I was wrong we got in at 2 departed that evening 10:30

726D1B24-8112-485E-9C94-6CC6BCA2A878.jpeg

Edited by s35flyer
Correction

Wow thank you so much for posting the daily schedule I really appreciate it!

We will definitely have time for both tours thank you so much!

Another question did you do the music museum in Rudesheim tour? It says we arrive at 5 pm and goes for 2 hours...That would put us right back on the boat for dinner.. I was really hoping to have a few minutes for a quick volcanic Riesling at my favorite wine pub there!

yes, got there about 4pm, went to music museum, then we walked around town some, had Rüdesheim coffee and a snack, then back to ship for dinner around 7.  However the ship did not leave until 4am.  We didn’t understand that if we had we would have eaten dinner in town just for a change.

Edited by s35flyer

1 hour ago, gg_galaxy2002 said:

Another question did you do the music museum in Rudesheim tour? It says we arrive at 5 pm and goes for 2 hours...That would put us right back on the boat for dinner.. 

We have sailed both way so have done Rudesheim twice.  We skipped the included tour the second time but joined up the coffee house. Both times we were there early in the day and sailed away in the afternoon. 

For Cologne, I don’t recall the first time (Rhine and Moselle eastbound) but the second one (Vienna to Amsterdam) We were there one afternoon and evening and did not sail until around lunch the next day. 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, Daisi said:

If you've prepaid your gratuities, then you can do what we did.  On our last day, we gave those who we felt went over and above with service (it was hard, as all the crew on our ship were fantastic) a bit extra.  They give you two envelopes on the last evening.  One for crew, the other for the Cruise Director (who is a contract person, not considered "staff").  If you pre-paid, you will get coupons in your documents that you put in the envelopes.  Otherwise, you pay Euros.  I don't remember if they said you could pay at the desk, sorry.  You leave the envelopes in a box at the reception desk.  

We really only needed small coins (single eruos or smaller) for bathrooms etc or if we stopped for a beer.  Since we pre-paid everything (excursions, gratuities etc), we really didn't need much money.  Hopefully our Danube cruise will be the same.

Thank you so much, Daisi....that’s great information     I knew the Cruise Director was separate from the prepaid...and it great to know that the envelopes will be available for other staff over and above the standard gratuities  This is our first river cruise  🙌😃

Spideysmum, you only get 2 envelopes, 1 for crew, 1 for CD (trust me, ours worked her butt off, she deserved the extra on top of our pre-paid).  If you want to give to individual people, do it personally.  You can bring an envelope or two for your room attendant & some staff that may not be easily available, but if you use the general envelope, it will get split among everyone.

• Thanks 1

We are thinking of booking the Burgundy and Provence for wine lovers cruise in October. Does anyone know where the ship would most likely dock in St. Jean de Losne? We are planning on taking the train from Paris and were researching how best to get from the train station to the ship. It appears that the town is not that large so hopefully there is a taxi service. Any insight would be appreciated. We have sailed with Avalon previously and enjoyed every cruise. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, jkadventures said:

We are thinking of booking the Burgundy and Provence for wine lovers cruise in October. Does anyone know where the ship would most likely dock in St. Jean de Losne? We are planning on taking the train from Paris and were researching how best to get from the train station to the ship. It appears that the town is not that large so hopefully there is a taxi service. Any insight would be appreciated. We have sailed with Avalon previously and enjoyed every cruise. Thanks!

The ship won’t even know the assigned dock until a couple days before the cruise, typically. 

jkadventures, we are doing that cruise in April.  Avalon has been of no help regarding getting to the port if you don't book their transfer from the airport or their pre-cruise stay in Paris, but we plan to take a taxi from Dijon, about a half hour away.  The town looks very small, so it shouldn't be too hard to find, and hopefully we will get a more exact location a couple days prior.

**********Copied from my FaceBook page, hope this is ok. *************

Globus announcement re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) 

"

February 24, 2020
In response to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and the subsequent U.S. State Department warning to avoid all travel to China, the Globus family of brands and Avalon Waterways has instituted a travel policy relating to travel to and through China to help ensure the health and safety of our guests.

The Globus family of brands are proactively suspending the operation of China itineraries – and those vacations that include stops in China – through April 30, 2020 on Globus, Cosmos and Monograms vacations. Our guest services team has contacted guests affected by these cancellations in order to adjust their travel plans. As an added precaution for the health and safety of all of our guests, anyone who has travelled from/visited or transited through China, including Macau, or travelled from/visited Hong Kong, within the 21 days prior to the start of their vacation will not be allowed to travel on any Avalon Waterways vacation.

Additionally, some governments have implemented wider restrictions that limit the arrival of travelers who have travelled from /visited or transited through countries beyond those currently within the Globus family of brands policy above. If you have recently travelled within Asia, we recommend that you check the current travel policy of your final destination.

We continue to monitor the situation closely to determine if additional modifications and updates are needed in accordance with Canada and international travel advisements and policies.

For questions, updates or booking inquiries, contact 866.962.9852 in Canada."

My sympathies to all who were looking forward to a trip, however better to be safe than sorry.

Daisi,

Thank you very much for the info about Globus and AvalonWaterways.

With the latest bad news coming from Venice and Lombardy, I wonder what will happen to river cruises in that area?

CroisiEurope is supposed to sail next week, not sure when Uniworld starts.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info