All Things Avalon

FuelScience

25 minutes ago, Spideysmum said:

Seine river Paris to Normandy with extra days in London...April 2021   This is a rebooking from our cancelled Holland cruise    I’m just very scared that Europe won’t let Americans in    I know it’s seven months away...but the news doesn’t seem to be getting any better    We’ve booked our airfare with miles and so far those are sticking    Of course, it’s really just a small inconvenience for us when others are losing homes in the west coast fires   😥

Any plans for European travel from the US are risky now, but I think you are smart to plan a trip that only involves one European country.

I'm starting to worry about our May cruise.  Hungary has closed it's borders, and the Czech Republic #'s are increasing.  While we are still under a travel advisory, Europe has opened up to Canadians, but if the countries close up it will be a no go.

At least Avalon lets you transfer your booking to a future holiday, and with any of it's companies, so if we can't go to Europe, we can always try the train through the Rockies...:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am very glad I found this thread about "All Things Avalon! " I have skimmed through the many pages and the consensus seems to indicate Avalon runs a great river cruise.  After having 3 major ocean cruises cancelled this year due to Covid 19, we decided to try a river cruise.  My husband and I  are booked on the Artistry II 13 day Rhine/Moselle itinerary Sept.22-Oct.4  2021.  We lived in the region in from '76-'79 with our young children and it will be interesting to return to the places we used to drive to for picnics.

I realize that things will be very different onboard for health reasons, and hope that the cruise will go. Reading your concerns about spring 2021 bookings, I worry.  I plan to book air with Delta miles to put out as little cash as possible, avoiding another airline "voucher."

I appreciate all the information!

27 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I am very glad I found this thread about "All Things Avalon! " I have skimmed through the many pages and the consensus seems to indicate Avalon runs a great river cruise.  After having 3 major ocean cruises cancelled this year due to Covid 19, we decided to try a river cruise.  My husband and I  are booked on the Artistry II 13 day Rhine/Moselle itinerary Sept.22-Oct.4  2021.  We lived in the region in from '76-'79 with our young children and it will be interesting to return to the places we used to drive to for picnics.

I realize that things will be very different onboard for health reasons, and hope that the cruise will go. Reading your concerns about spring 2021 bookings, I worry.  I plan to book air with Delta miles to put out as little cash as possible, avoiding another airline "voucher."

Delta has been very easy to deal with as I have rescheduled 'miles' flights several times due to Covid.  [Still haven't flown...]

On 9/16/2020 at 1:33 PM, Daisi said:

@suntan....shall we make plans for the fall with the leaves? 🙂

@Daisi...the changing of the leaves has come earlier than expected.  I have been researching other tours offered in Canada.  I will have to make a decision by Christmas if I'm going on the Tulip Time cruise in April 2021.  I say by Christmas because that is when I usually book my flights.  Have you researched the Canadian tours through Cosmos and/or Globus?

I've taken a quick look at them, I know Globus has the trains through the Rockies, and I would also consider a trip to the Gaspe.  

I'm still hoping that our cruise will go ahead, however if not, we will have to see.  We were out driving around this weekend - Barry's Bay - Renfrew area, leaves aren't quite at thier peak yet.  I'm hoping that we get our regular Thanksgiving Monday Lock Hop (hit as many locks on the Rideau Canal that we can) in before they change to much...we'll miss our Sugar Bush breakfast, but it just may give us an earlier start time, so we may have more time touring!

18 hours ago, Loreto said:

We did this cruise in October 2017 with Avalon and loved it! The scenery on the Moselle and smaller towns(loved Cochem) were beautiful. I still remember exiting the lock after Koblenz and seeing the stunning hills lined with vineyards! The weather was unseasonably warm so we were able to have an outdoor BBQ lunch on the top deck. Some mornings there was fog that restricted our views but that all added to the adventure.

Unfortunately we have decided to cancel our May 2021 Avalon cruise as travel from Australia doesn't look like being back to normal by then. Hopefully we may be able to do late 2021 or 2022 - one last river cruise is on our agenda.

Loretta I hope this cruise goes ahead for you and you will have a great trip.

19 hours ago, Kenster said:

Loreto, we have done that cruise. It’s probably my favorite of the four Avalons we have done in the past six years. We absolutely love Avalon. 

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Delta has been very easy to deal with as I have rescheduled 'miles' flights several times due to Covid.  [Still haven't flown...]

50 minutes ago, ikesyd said:

We did this cruise in October 2017 with Avalon and loved it! The scenery on the Moselle and smaller towns(loved Cochem) were beautiful. I still remember exiting the lock after Koblenz and seeing the stunning hills lined with vineyards! The weather was unseasonably warm so we were able to have an outdoor BBQ lunch on the top deck. Some mornings there was fog that restricted our views but that all added to the adventure.

Unfortunately we have decided to cancel our May 2021 Avalon cruise as travel from Australia doesn't look like being back to normal by then. Hopefully we may be able to do late 2021 or 2022 - one last river cruise is on our agenda.

Loretta I hope this cruise goes ahead for you and you will have a great trip.

Thanks for all the replies!  Good to know the Rhine/Moselle is a favorite.  We will look forward to  Trier, Bernkastel and Cochem. We are on the northbound Basel to Amsterdam itinerary and booked a precruise night at the Avalon hotel at the Zurich airport.  The price is outrageous, but I wonder if Avalon transports your luggage from the hotel room to the ship, or do you have to take it to baggage claim to meet the transfer yourself?  If that is the case, I will  just book the Radison Blu on my own.  I see that we will be traveling light with the Avalon luggage size restrictions, which is ok.  I took a KD Line Rhine cruise with my mom in 1985, so I know what to expect on a small ship.

Sorry ikesyd that you decided to cancel.  We had a number of Australians on our Holland America  South America/Antarctica Cruise roll call for November, and they are still waiting for Qantas to cancel so they can get their money back.

Karen

Karen, I’m confused by your luggage question. You ask about transferring luggage from hotel to ship but then you talk about baggage claim to transfer. So that’s two different things. 
Once you claim your bags at the airport and clear immigration and customs, you will meet the rep at the meeting point for the transfer to the hotel, bringing your bags to the bus. The next day, your bags will travel with you on the bus from hotel to the shop. 

15 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Karen, I’m confused by your luggage question. You ask about transferring luggage from hotel to ship but then you talk about baggage claim to transfer. So that’s two different things. 
Once you claim your bags at the airport and clear immigration and customs, you will meet the rep at the meeting point for the transfer to the hotel, bringing your bags to the bus. The next day, your bags will travel with you on the bus from hotel to the shop. 

Sorry Kenster!  The Avalon precruise hotel is connected to the Zurich Airport with  a walkway from what I understand.  The precruise hotel includes transfers to Basel for embarkation.  I wondered if you must return to baggage claim to meet the transfer, or as you suggest, the transfer would pick you up at the hotel (even though the hotel is connected to the airport) which would be convenient. 

With our ocean cruises, we have booked hotels on our own, then taken the cruiseline transfer to the ship, which always met in baggage claim on sailing day. 

Anyway, I have a year to plan the logistics!

Karen

Karen, I see what you mean now. I’m not used to an airport hotel for the cruise pre-night. I’d be very surprised if they expected you to schlep your bags back to airport arrivals for your transfer to the ship. But I would call Avalon and ask to make sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

After due consideration and much agony, we’ve cancelled our second Avalon cruise (rebooked from last April)   I just didn’t want to rebook again...the sail date in early April was just becoming more stressful as these weeks progress   We can’t quarantine for 14 days in France (would have loved to, of course)   The USA is having problems and the EU also looks problematic    Anyway, I’m going to stop reading cruise critic  (also cancelled a Princess cruise of the British Isles following this one some months ago)    I’m depressed  😳

@Spideysmum I agree with the thought of cruising early next year is looking like a long shot.  We have a Danube cruise booked for May, but we have decided to wait until our final payment date is due before cancelling...on the off chance that if Avalon cancels, we get an extra credit.  I am keeping an eye on the 2022 bookings (they have a fairly decent discount right now) and hoping that if we do have to re-book, we still get a good deal.

17 hours ago, Daisi said:

@Spideysmum I agree with the thought of cruising early next year is looking like a long shot.  We have a Danube cruise booked for May, but we have decided to wait until our final payment date is due before cancelling...on the off chance that if Avalon cancels, we get an extra credit.  I am keeping an eye on the 2022 bookings (they have a fairly decent discount right now) and hoping that if we do have to re-book, we still get a good deal.

@Daisi I like your strategy .We are tentatively booked on that May 18th trip out of Prague to Budapest. A lot can happen in 7 months. (as we have seen).  But yes- looking a little dicey at this point..

@krobson, We are going the opposite direction, about a week ahead of you!  While I agree a lot can happen in 7 months, we are just not sure if we will feel comfortable as the numbers are getting so high in Europe.  It's just a matter of seeing what Avalon is planning on doing, if they just cancel with no extra credit like they had for this year, we won't be out anything, but if they are giving a credit (or another free cabin upgrade), I'll gladly accept.

Now that the EU doesn't allow Canadians in, I doubt very much they will be sailing, as this is only the beginning of the next wave for everyone.

Good luck with your plans, if you think of sailing by the other direction, maybe we can join up!

• 1 month later...

This month would be the time when I would be looking for flights for  my April 2021 river cruise.  Given the lay of the land - increased # of cases, the Netherlands is not permitting Canadians into the country for non essential travel and Canada cannot tell its citizens when a vaccine will be coming - I had a talk with my travel agent.  She contacted Avalon and they advised her if I cancelled the April 2021 cruise I would lose $250.  If I wait for them to cancel I would be able to get a refund.  I shouldn't lose any money because the situation is out of my control.  So I asked my travel agent to see if Avalon would allow me to re-book for April 2022 with no penalty, and the answer was "yes".  😃  So I am going to re-book for April 2022 and give myself a treat and upgrade to a Panorama suite.  Question: Which side of the boat is the best for views out the window in the morning-- the right side or the left side (facing towards the front).

9 minutes ago, suntan said:

Question: Which side of the boat is the best for views out the window in the morning-- the right side or the left side (facing towards the front).

I guess you’re planning a ‘Tulip Cruise’ in the Netherlands?  I’d take a port side cabin (left hand side when facing forward).  You’re likely to see more land and features on the first couple of days.  Otherwise, not much difference.

@d9704011 gave you a good answer for the Tulip Time itineraries.

As a general answer to this question on most rivers, be aware that ships always dock facing upstream.  If you know which bank the port-town is on, you will know which side of the ship will be facing the town and which the river.  But if you are rafted next to [or worse, between] other ships, your view may be blocked altogether.  For daytime cruising, the best views are from the top deck (360° rather than >180° from your balcony).

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I guess you’re planning a ‘Tulip Cruise’ in the Netherlands?  I’d take a port side cabin (left hand side when facing forward).  You’re likely to see more land and features on the first couple of days.  Otherwise, not much difference.

Yes, I'm planning for the 3rd time to take this cruise.  Thank you for your thoughts.  

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@d9704011 gave you a good answer for the Tulip Time itineraries.

As a general answer to this question on most rivers, be aware that ships always dock facing upstream.  If you know which bank the port-town is on, you will know which side of the ship will be facing the town and which the river.  But if you are rafted next to [or worse, between] other ships, your view may be blocked altogether.  For daytime cruising, the best views are from the top deck (360° rather than >180° from your balcony).

Thank you for your comments.  It will be my first river cruise, and I want to get the best views.  Agree, going up to the top deck will provide the best 360 views.

We’ve done four Avalons in the past six years. 
There really isn’t a bad view from either side. 
we prefer a port side cabin because we’d rather watch the river going by than the near shore. That’s just our preference. 
I would not choose a cabin based on what you hope to see while docked.  You’re not in your cabin much while in port and you’re likely to only see a big concrete wall, anyway. 

The best views can be had on the top sun deck, anyway, Not from your cabin so don’t let port or starboard be a deal breaker.