All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Uniworld generally is more expensive than Avalon and IMO and IME, well worth the difference. Uniworld is a luxury experience and Avalon more mid range (based on my personal experiences and opinions on both lines).

Food and service on Uniworld are excellent. All drinks (with very few exceptions) are included in all venues at all times, including very high quality wines and spirits.

All excursions are included for 2017 cruises.

Airport transfers are included.

Gratuities are included.

There are self service laundry facilities for guests.

I cannot compare to Tauck as I have never sailed with them but IMO, Uniworld is significantly more inclusive and offers a far superior experience to Avalon.

Thanks for the input ditto jviegirl.

Another question...

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Avalon. I know we are just going to love our trip. But I'm hoping those of you who have sailed with them can help me.

We are sailing Budapest to Prague on the Danube.We have a fewf extra nights in Budapest & Prague.

From the description of our tours in our major cities it doesn't appear that we will do inside visits to pretty much most of the sights.

We don't want to do a lot of inside visits but we definitely want to do 3 or 4 that I have chosen in each city.

I'm just trying to decide if I should skip them in Budapest & Prgue (I know we will do Vienna on our own).

Thanks,

Chris

I agree with Got2Cruise. In addition, you usually get time during the overview tour to go inside some of the attractions. By the way, I recommend the evening tour in Budapest. It's outdoors and by bus, but Budapest at night is wonderful. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Another question...

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Avalon. I know we are just going to love our trip. But I'm hoping those of you who have sailed with them can help me.

We are sailing Budapest to Prague on the Danube.We have a fewf extra nights in Budapest & Prague.

From the description of our tours in our major cities it doesn't appear that we will do inside visits to pretty much most of the sights.

We don't want to do a lot of inside visits but we definitely want to do 3 or 4 that I have chosen in each city.

I'm just trying to decide if I should skip them in Budapest & Prgue (I know we will do Vienna on our own).

Thanks,

Chris

Did this cruise in 2014 and loved it. We spent extra time in both cities as well. The included excursions were very good. Ob our own, we did a night-time river cruise in Budapest that was wonderful. Got some great photos. Budapest and Prague are both very walk-able cities and both have great public transportation. Avalon's Chesky Krumlov optional excursion was well worth the extra $$.

Have a wonderful time.

Edited by cruisinggranmama

Sailing on Poetry II in July but mildly disturbed by my cabin allocation (no option to pick when booking online in UK).

Allocated A201 which does not appear to be a regular cabin on Avalon's own website deck plans (attached) and appears elsewhere as a disabled cabin which Avalon tell me that they don't have.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

TIA

Capture.JPG.afc2fdad9c5880aeff3e46fcebc9f8bc.JPG

358904649_Poetrysapphiredeck.jpg.3bfc98cbcc12508fac18e881cace5090.jpg

Sailing on Poetry II in July but mildly disturbed by my cabin allocation (no option to pick when booking online in UK).

Allocated A201 which does not appear to be a regular cabin on Avalon's own website deck plans (attached) and appears elsewhere as a disabled cabin which Avalon tell me that they don't have.

TIA

It shows as a regular Cat A cabin in the 2015 Avalon brochure that I had downloaded from their US website. I don't have anything more up to date.

TIA

Agree with Jazz and I also just looked at my 2015 Avalon catalog.

We were on Poetry II last July and on the same deck. We were in 212 and walked by 201 and saw in it while door was open. It was being used and appeared the same as any other cabin. I have never seen any mention of a cabin especially equipped for those with disabilities. Chef and Captain as well as the entire crew are very special. Enjoy!

Edited by Shebely

Agree with Jazz and I also just looked at my 2015 Avalon catalog.

We were on Poetry II last July and on the same deck. We were in 212 and walked by 201 and saw in it while door was open. It was being used and appeared the same as any other cabin. I have never seen any mention of a cabin especially equipped for those with disabilities. Chef and Captain as well as the entire crew are very special. Enjoy!

Thanks again.

Ken

TIA

They do not have handicap cabins. While by River Cruising standards the Avalon Cabins are very large there is no way there would be room for a wheelchair or any mobility device. Not even room to store one.

From the Avalon website: Poetry II

bcd68ebf108b10ba4f83ae5d9a9bbe1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a regular stateroom on a panorama class boat. Our traveling companions had this cabin and it was identical to ours #208 in every way.

Good to know, thank you.

(Strangely US site has A301 "missing" from deck plans, UK site A201, see attachments.)

526292950_poetryii.JPG.88c153a4cbf2c80d09e4bc078be2a02f.JPG

1938670061_poetryIIUS.JPG.1ab0a8b3e2ee0919c01646d848da12a6.JPG

The passenger contract says this about handicapped passengers. Basically they are not encouraging.

I did see that, I was just concerned that, having just booked, in a "sale", that I was in an "unusual" cabin as it wasn't showing up on the UK site deckplan.

I have booked a double bedded cabin before now and ended up with fixed twins for example. Having paid extra to secure a double cabin.....

There are too many stairs for these ships to be truely accessible. But you don't need to worry about the cabin you got.

True. While they do have an elevator that goes to the inside decks (where the cabins, restaurant and lounge are), it does not go to the top deck. If you want to go up top, you need to use the stairs.

True. While they do have an elevator that goes to the inside decks (where the cabins, restaurant and lounge are), it does not go to the top deck. If you want to go up top, you need to use the stairs.

I think one can have an enjoyable experience even without going to the top deck. The lounge has panoramic Windows and you can walk out onto the bow and there are seats there.

aefff69f87c084953f2e44e9fb2d517f.jpgb870b4ea2c90387de24de776fbe44066.jpgb63597394a8aa3617e3d691b4bfac167.jpg762d1fefb598d79909c47fae8b488f9e.jpg

Your cabin will look identical to this :)

We're sailing on Passion! It looks like it's going to be beautiful. I can't wait to get on that ship!!

Thanks for sharing the pics...I think I'll be pretty comfortable in that cabin!!

Chris