All Things Avalon

FuelScience

I think one can have an enjoyable experience even without going to the top deck. The lounge has panoramic Windows and you can walk out onto the bow and there are seats there.

I'm sure you can, and there probably are some folks who don't bother going up top. I was just commenting on how, to be truly accessible, you need to use some stairs. The elevator won't get you everywhere.

I'm sure you can, and there probably are some folks who don't bother going up top. I was just commenting on how, to be truly accessible, you need to use some stairs. The elevator won't get you everywhere.

Some lines utilize "stair chairs" to provide accessibility for the sun deck on most of their ships.

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked the August 26, 2017 Amsterdam-Basel followed by a land trip to Zurich and Lake Como. We've heard only good things about Avalon, so we're looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked the August 26, 2017 Amsterdam-Basel followed by a land trip to Zurich and Lake Como. We've heard only good things about Avalon, so we're looking forward to it.

We just sailed with Avalon Expression Prague to Budapest on Danube River.

First river cruise. Avalon was very nice and I will sail with them again. During the sailing we had to leave ship due to flooding on Danube for two nights.

Avalon took very GOOD care of passengers during the two days and nights.

We received a refund for the two nights we did not stay on ship. Avalon paid for all meals and 4star hotels while onshore plus offered free excursions. Avalon treated everyone Great :)

We just sailed with Avalon Expression Prague to Budapest on Danube River.

First river cruise. Avalon was very nice and I will sail with them again. During the sailing we had to leave ship due to flooding on Danube for two nights.

Avalon took very GOOD care of passengers during the two days and nights.

We received a refund for the two nights we did not stay on ship. Avalon paid for all meals and 4star hotels while onshore plus offered free excursions. Avalon treated everyone Great :)

Thanks for the information. Several in our group have cruised with Avalon, and loved it.

Do tips for Avalon River Cruises in Europe need to be paid in Euros by cash or can they be charged to our onboard account?

You can pay them either way, your choice.

Edited by JVilleGal

They are charged to your account but it is charged in Euros. All prices are in Euros. So remember that your final bill will be in Euros but your CC statement will convert it to USD and Euros are exchanged currently higher than USD

Do tips for Avalon River Cruises in Europe need to be paid in Euros by cash or can they be charged to our onboard account?

You can prepay gratuities. Envelopes for gratuities will be left in your cabin at end of trip if you have not paid.

Edited by texkan

Pillows are too soft :( I asked about firm pillows for DH as this is a huge issue for him (used rolled up towels) Hotel mgr must have over heard my request, and what I had to do with towels. Next thing I see later that afternoon was Hotel Mgr getting out of a taxi with big bags. Yep you guessed, our room attendant turned up with 4 pillows to choose from!

That's service :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

Pillows are too soft :( I asked about firm pillows for DH as this is a huge issue for him (used rolled up towels) Hotel mgr must have over heard my request, and what I had to do with towels. Next thing I see later that afternoon was Hotel Mgr getting out of a taxi with big bags. Yep you guessed, our room attendant turned up with 4 pillows to choose from!

That's service :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is wonderful. Good to know they will go above and beyond. I also have to have good support thanks to some back and neck issues.

We were lucky in France. We did the Seine in early-mid May just as recent strikes were getting going and were able to work around them. The strikes accelerated as we left France and the rains hit with the flooding. Gas stations were running out of gas while we were there but we only did the boat and trains. As I said, we were lucky. We loved our Seine cruise with Avalon and the food was the best of our 8 river cruises. We really appreciated docking in Paris with a view of the Eiffel Tower rather than being stuck outside of town.

While there we read news articles that said the government estimated tourist travel was off 40%. Our local tour guides (pre-Avalon) estimated closer to 60% because of the attacks and strikes. Our planes to and from the States had lots of empty seats. Our boat held something like 139 and we had 84 on board. For us, it was wonderful but we felt badly for the French putting up with the strikes and all the folks affected by the floods.

• 3 weeks later...

Our travel documents just became available for our upcoming Paris-Amsterdam Avalon Cruise (August 30-September 8), and the Paris hotel is the Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe in case anyone's interested. It's usually this hotel or the Pullman Paris Montparnasse.

FuelScience

That is wonderful. Good to know they will go above and beyond. I also have to have good support thanks to some back and neck issues.

Beds are very comfortable too, as Avalon uses memory foam mattresses. However, we found that this type of mattress retains a bit more heat than we are use to.

Our travel documents just became available for our upcoming Paris-Amsterdam Avalon Cruise (August 30-September 8), and the Paris hotel is the Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe in case anyone's interested. It's usually this hotel or the Pullman Paris Montparnasse.

FuelScience

Hope you have a great time. Like Riversanddale, we had 77/138 passengers during our recent Budapest - Prague journey, while I understand the reverse trip from Prague - Budapest following ours had even fewer. It was great for us, but probably not so for the places we visited. Never the less, hope you have the same luck as Riversanddale & I.

Be safe.

Hello. I am preparing for my first river cruise with Avalon (Budapest-Amsterdam.) I see that Avalon has a suitcase size/weight limit. I'm flying business class so I'm OK if my suitcase goes a few lbs over 50 lbs when I check in for my flight but I was wondering how hard and fast the 50 lb limit is with Avalon? Thought I'd check in case my packed bag ends up weighing 54 or 55 lbs.

Hello. I am preparing for my first river cruise with Avalon (Budapest-Amsterdam.) I see that Avalon has a suitcase size/weight limit. I'm flying business class so I'm OK if my suitcase goes a few lbs over 50 lbs when I check in for my flight but I was wondering how hard and fast the 50 lb limit is with Avalon? Thought I'd check in case my packed bag ends up weighing 54 or 55 lbs.

You are fine. The restriction Avalon states is really the airline restriction. There is plenty of room in the cabin to store your cases. To my knowledge, Avalon does not impose any baggage wight restriction.